PDA

View Full Version : Sam and David at Portsmouth Invitational Tournament April 16-19

ZagNative
04-14-2014, 11:28 AM
2014 Portsmouth Invitational Tournament: Official Rosters and Preview

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2014-Portsmouth-Invitational-Tournament-Official-Rosters-and-Preview--4458

The players participating at the 2014 Portsmouth Invitational Tournament (April 16-19, official site) were announced today. Sam and David's team rosters below:

SALES SYSTEM
Talib Zanna Pittsburgh 6'9 PF/C 23.5
Davante Gardner Marquette 6'8 C 22.5
Josh Huestis Stanford 6'7 SF 22.2
Niels Giffey Connecticut 6'7 SF 22.8
Rian Pearson Toledo 6'4 SG 23.7
Tyler Johnson Fresno State 6'4 SG 21.9
Markel Brown Oklahoma State 6'3 SG 22.1
David Stockton Gonzaga 5'11 PG

MIKE DUMAN
Killan Larson Grand Canyon 6'9 C
Josh Davis San Diego State 6'8 PF 23.2
Sam Dower Gonzaga 6'9 C 23.4
Jamil Wilson Marquette 6'7 SF/PF 23.3
Davion Berry Weber State 6'4 SG 22.4
Kareem Jamar Montana 6'5 SG 21.4
Jason Brickman Long Island 6'0 PG 22.4
Kendrick Perry Youngstown State 6'0 PG 21.2

More about Portsmouth at the event's site (https://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/).

From the event's site:

HALL OF FAMER JOHN STOCKTON TO HEADLINE P.I.T. CELEBRITY LUNCHEON
John Stockton is the NBA’s all-time leader in assists and steals. He was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2009 and in 2010 as a member of the 1992 USA Basketball “Dream Team.” He played in 10 NBA All-Star Games and was named to 11 All-NBA Teams. He played all 19 of his NBA seasons with the Utah Jazz, reaching the NBA Finals in 1997 and 1998.
https://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/images/6faeeda40ff488f4abd146a7dd59c959_s6k7_f7h4.jpg

P.I.T. Celebrity Luncheon
April 18, 2014
Tickets: $25.00
11:30 Social/12:00 Lunch
Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel
For tickets, call Mike Boyd at 757-484-6299.

MDABE80
04-14-2014, 11:41 AM
Wish both kids the best. Sam has a chance. I hope David does well.

Mr Vulture
04-14-2014, 01:07 PM
I could see Dower carving out a nice scoring role off the bench in the NBA in time. I can't see Stockton even playing NBA summer league frankly. The one thing that David does have that you can't teach is a natural feel for the game.

gonzagafan62
04-14-2014, 01:52 PM
Is this televised?

Mojo13
04-14-2014, 01:55 PM
The PIT seems more like an audition for Euro and Chinese professional teams now a days. Most seniors with a shot at being drafted decline the invite and most of the attendees wont sniff the NBA. I am not saying it couldn't happen for one or two, but 95% plus wont be on NBA rosters next year.

Going down the list of attendees again, I don't see one name that one should expect to see drafted. Maybe someone can catch on as with an NBA team as a undrafted free agent....but the odds arn't great.

Zagdawg
04-14-2014, 02:03 PM
Only 3 PIT players from 2013 in the NBA -- but like you said the rest look like they are D-League or playing professional ball overseas.

https://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/uploads/2013_PIT_Players_13-14_Teams_-_Updated_March_26.pdf

ZagNative
04-14-2014, 02:21 PM
Slipper Still Fits has a nice piec (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2014/4/14/5614530/david-stockton-sam-dower-portsmouth-invitational-tournament)e on David and Sam at Portsmouth, including a great pic of the pair.

http://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/31621913/478028999.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Mojo13
04-14-2014, 02:22 PM
Not that there is anything wrong with that. I sometimes think if I ever had a choice I would rather bounce from city to city in Europe than in the States as a 22 year old pro basketball player. Would you rather bounce around Detroit, Milwaukee and Cleveland in the winter as a 12th man on an NBA bench or be a starter on a decent team in a decent league and travel Spain, Italy or France.

I guess you'd have to look at the pay difference.

Zagdawg
04-14-2014, 02:33 PM
Don't know how many basketball kids dreams growing up involve playing in Europe --over the NBA. They want to play on the best teams in the world against the best players.

If they can get on an NBA roster and get some experience--then go to Europe and play later in their careers --they have the best of both worlds.

LynetteG
04-14-2014, 03:55 PM
Jordan got an invite but declined on the advice of his agent, who said he wants people to remember how he did in the tourney, not chance it by playing in the PIT, where everyone is out to get a name for themselves and may not feed the big man in the post. Interesting take, and I'll be super interested to see how Sammy does in this instance. GO ZAGS!!!

americasteam
04-14-2014, 04:29 PM
Jordan got an invite but declined on the advice of his agent, who said he wants people to remember how he did in the tourney, not chance it by playing in the PIT, where everyone is out to get a name for themselves and may not feed the big man in the post. Interesting take, and I'll be super interested to see how Sammy does in this instance. GO ZAGS!!!

Lynette,
Wise advice! Almost all all-star teams are like that. Everyone else is trying to impress and driving, 3 pt shooting, and slashing all get you attention, but dropping off a simple pass to the post and letting the post go to work does nothing for that guard. Best of luck to your nephew in the draft!

My daughter met Sam a couple of weeks ago and she complimented on his good season. He said, "Oh, you watch basketball?" with a big smile on his face. She said yes, and then told him good luck over in Europe (putting foot in mouth), and he laughed and said that he was still shooting for trying to make it on an NBA team. She said she felt bad then, but he didn't make it a big deal. Haha. He asked for her number so he must not have felt too hurt!

DixieZag
04-14-2014, 05:52 PM
If you think about the total number of slots for the NBA, (it's not the NFL) the average length of career for a good player (Ronny's still playing) and the 300 something D-1 college teams, European up and comers, and the other thousands with a dream of playing in the NBA, it sure isn't a big knock to not be able to stick on a team. (I am positive everyone here knows that, just sayin').

And it sure isn't a knock to be young, earn an upper class living, playing basketball, in countries which provide a great experience before one settles into family, PTA, soccer practices, etc. Wish luck to both of them, Sam will definitely make money playing somewhere, probably pretty decent money.

wnczagfan
04-14-2014, 06:53 PM
Is this televised?

Last year, CBS streamed it. No info that I see for this year yet. Check the PIT's Facebook page for updates.

Also, Nelson Castillo promises to tweet when he knows of it being streamed. Twitter name is @NelCastBHJ

wnczagfan
04-14-2014, 07:12 PM
I believe David and Sam's teams will be playing each other!

They will have to remember not to pass each other the ball.

ZagaZags
04-14-2014, 08:20 PM
I believe David and Sam's teams will be playing each other!

They will have to remember not to pass each other the ball.

OMG Arizona flashback.

Thanks.

:jk:

exclusivelee
04-15-2014, 07:49 AM
I guess Sam will choose not to play in Portsmouth Invitational:

Bryan Fenley @BryanFenley

Just spoke w/ #Gonzaga forward Sam Dower said he hired agent today, agent advised him not to play in Portsmouth Invitational, so he won't

https://twitter.com/BryanFenley/status/455911808855842816

Worthington
04-15-2014, 08:28 AM

Weak....It's sad that so many seniors choose to sit out the PIT. If you've got confidence in your game then you should be happy to go out and prove that you're better than everyone else. BYU's Brandon Davies did it last year, took home the MVP, and is playing in the league right now.

I understand that they're skipping at the advice of their agents, but these guys are supposed to be competitors. The coaches that are scouting the PIT are looking for potential 2nd rounders who are going to come in to camp, work their asses off, and provide some energy off the bench. Hardly proves that you're that kind of player by avoiding the competition because you're scared of getting your weaknesses exposed.

LynetteG
04-15-2014, 10:40 AM
Weak....It's sad that so many seniors choose to sit out the PIT. If you've got confidence in your game then you should be happy to go out and prove that you're better than everyone else. BYU's Brandon Davies did it last year, took home the MVP, and is playing in the league right now.

I understand that they're skipping at the advice of their agents, but these guys are supposed to be competitors. The coaches that are scouting the PIT are looking for potential 2nd rounders who are going to come in to camp, work their asses off, and provide some energy off the bench. Hardly proves that you're that kind of player by avoiding the competition because you're scared of getting your weaknesses exposed.

it's not a matter of having confidence in your game, its a matter of the situation being suitable or not. As a PF/C Sam has no chance to shine unless he can make his own plays. Lots of 4/5s depend on a fabulous guard to get them the ball, and since the PIT is all about showcasing individual talent, he would have likely gotten lost there and hurt his chances in June. It was a good move on his part. The PIT is really a showcase for the guards anyway.

Worthington
04-15-2014, 11:24 AM

it's not a matter of having confidence in your game, its a matter of the situation being suitable or not. As a PF/C Sam has no chance to shine unless he can make his own plays. Lots of 4/5s depend on a fabulous guard to get them the ball, and since the PIT is all about showcasing individual talent, he would have likely gotten lost there and hurt his chances in June. It was a good move on his part. The PIT is really a showcase for the guards anyway.

I really don't think that is true. PIT is definitely about showcasing your talent, but scoring the basketball isn't the only talent that the guards want to display. Going into that setting and jacking up 20 shots a game, while not getting your teammates involved, is exactly the opposite of what those guards want to do. This isn't streetball, these players need to show the scouts that they can contribute in the NBA. Another PF/C from the WCC competed last year and came away with the MVP award, I see no reason why Sam couldn't have similar success.

Moreover, this is about exposure. Dower has very little buzz at the moment and his chances of getting drafted are slim. If he doesn't have a good PIT then so be it, but if he does I think he could turn some heads. This has been the trend over the past few years, agents playing it safe and not letting their clients skills speak for themselves. You see it in an event like this, where practically none of the top seniors are even willing to show up anymore, and in draft workouts where a lot of the top guys won't workout against eachother anymore. Frankly, I'm just kind of sick of it...

Mojo13
04-15-2014, 02:33 PM
To add to Worthington's point in 2012 Kyle O'Quinn a PF/C was the MVP and played his way into the league. He now plays a meaningful role for the Magic.
I agree that Sam has no draft buzz whatsoever and probably should play in the PIT - along with most of the other Seniors who turn down the invite.

I believe from 2013 there are at least 15+ seniors who turned down the invite then were never drafted and never made it to the NBA. With 30 plus declined invites this year (and counting) we are going to break 15 for sure.

maynard g krebs
04-15-2014, 03:36 PM
Brandon Davies is a very athletic guy who can make plays on his own. Sam Dower is a highly skilled guy, not real athletic, who thrives in an organized offense with guards who get him the ball in positions where he can be effective. The fact that Portsmouth was good for Davies really doesn't mean it would be good for Sam.

kitzbuel
04-15-2014, 05:29 PM
This would be an instance where I think you have to trust your agent. Sam wouldn't be going to the PIT for the competition of it, he would be going to audition for the NBA. He is trying to position himself the best he can. That is why he hired an agent.

Worthington
04-15-2014, 05:34 PM
Brandon Davies is a very athletic guy who can make plays on his own. Sam Dower is a highly skilled guy, not real athletic, who thrives in an organized offense with guards who get him the ball in positions where he can be effective. The fact that Portsmouth was good for Davies really doesn't mean it would be good for Sam.

Fair enough, but if he's waiting for an organized game setting to show off his skill-set during the draft process, he isn't going to find one. Sam is versatile and good enough to standout in many settings, in my opinion. There aren't going to be many other stages for Sam to create some buzz going into workouts. Surprised and disappointed that he was advised against it

sittingon50
04-15-2014, 07:33 PM
Well then, he'll have to wow 'em in his workouts.

CDC84
04-15-2014, 10:10 PM
Or maybe something is cooking in Europe........

ZagaZags
04-18-2014, 12:12 AM
Slipper Still Fits has a nice piec (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2014/4/14/5614530/david-stockton-sam-dower-portsmouth-invitational-tournament)e on David and Sam at Portsmouth, including a great pic of the pair.

http://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/31621913/478028999.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Sam looks taller than I remember.

basketballzag
04-18-2014, 11:46 AM

IMO this was a very smart decision by Sam's agent. PIT is a situation where Dower's strength's wouldn't be highlighted to make an impact. The NBA D-league isn't the answer for Dower either due to the salary constraints. He will be able to show off his skills at the various NBA team tryouts both pre and post Draft. The Euro's would also provide him with more than enough income and experience next year to make his mark into the NBA.