• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Meehan: Zags have good nucleus coming back

Gonzaga seniors were coming to grips with the end of their basketball careers in the locker room at Viejas Arena in San Diego following an NCAA tournament loss to Arizona. Drew Barham went from answering retrospective questions to an inquiry about the Bulldogs’ future. “They’re going to be good,” Barham said. “They have a lot of guys coming back and a lot of pieces coming in.”

Article from yesterday.
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
    It's in today's paper, though.

Pretty much says what I've been saying re: Sabonis, and echoes Bud Withers re: Coleman.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• DZ
      Zag for Life
      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
      It's in today's paper, though.

Pretty much says what I've been saying re: Sabonis, and echoes Bud Withers re: Coleman.
      Surprised there is this much open talk about Coleman. I thought they kept things closer to the vest.
      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
      Mark Twain.

Comment

• exclusivelee
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2013

Meehan seems to not beat around the bush:

Transfers Angel Nunez (Louisville) and Gerard Coleman (Providence) had numerous highlight-reel plays but never found consistent spots in the rotation. Nunez, who became eligible in late December, had two double-figure games and averaged 7.2 minutes.

Coleman played double-digit minutes in just two of the last 10 games. He is expected to weigh his options – returning to what figures to be a crowded GU backcourt or seeking more playing time elsewhere.

There are growing indications Domantas Sabonis, son of former Portland Trail Blazers center Arvydas Sabonis, will join GU’s 2014 class.

The 6-10 Lithuanian is playing for a Spanish team but didn’t sign a contract to preserve the option of playing collegiately in the U.S.
        but surprised there isn't more regarding Meikle with only this tidbit:

Meikle had his best effort of the season against Arkansas in Maui but played in only four games after Jan. 2.

Comment

• Mr Vulture
          Zag for Life
          • May 2008

Meehan didn't really say much about Coleman other than say he was weighing his options. Frankly, whatever Gerard decides, I hope it works out well. I could see him adjusting to a role on this team but I could also see him seeking out more playing time. I am sure it also depends on whether he has his degree so he is eligible to transfer as a 5th year senior.

Comment

• hooter73
            Zag for Life
            • Jun 2008

yet again Rem doesnt get his press!

Comment

• sittingon50
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by hooter73 View Post
              yet again Rem doesnt get his press!
              IT'S AN OUTRAGE!!
              But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
                Zag for Life
                • Nov 2013

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
                IT'S AN OUTRAGE!!
                Especially since he played a great air guitar.
                Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Reads like a Gonzaga press release, with Few patting himself on the back at the end. Spin starts early.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Jazz can't believe a Spokane sports writer would have so many optimistic things to say about our Zags.

Jazz-- heard manhattan is going to give your ex-coach his job back after he gets his degree--- good deal. Going to be teaching his recruits about what to put on a resume and what to leave off it sounds like.

Win a couple of games and they turn their heads some errors on the old resume.

The spin starts a little later in manhattan i guess.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
                      Jazz can't believe a Spokane sports writer would have so many optimistic things to say about our Zags.

Jazz-- heard manhattan is going to give your ex-coach his job back after he gets his degree--- good deal. Going to be teaching his recruits about what to put on a resume and what to leave off it sounds like.

The spin starts a little later in manhattan i guess.
                      It's Manhattan. And I'm as embarrassed as most by the move. What does that have to do with the Meehan hosanna? Fwiw, a million years ago I used to write such "articles" as the SID at MANHATTAN. I am familiar with the process.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

I am sure the positive outlook that you provided was deemed as refreshing for them as it does for us

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

I am sure the positive outlook that you provided was deemed as refreshing for them as it does for us
                          It was my first job so I spun like everyone else. Now I am able to be objective, if that's what you are talking about.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Help me out with the "objective" line of thought.

“I’m blown away by what they were able to do,” Few said. “We had some makeshift lineups (due to injuries) for long stretches. It’s remarkable.”

Some would say they Few was complimenting the team for overcoming challenges during the season.

You say that Few was "patting himself on the back" and "spinning" something----- i agree someone is trying to "spin" something.

We understand that you are not a fan of our coach-- but I have a hard time standing by when someone starts "spinning" -- kinda like you.

Go Zags

Comment

• wnczagfan
                              Kennel Club Alum
                              • Jan 2014

Help me out with the "objective" line of thought.

“I’m blown away by what they were able to do,” Few said. “We had some makeshift lineups (due to injuries) for long stretches. It’s remarkable.”

Some would say they Few was complimenting the team for overcoming challenges during the season.

You say that Few was "patting himself on the back" and "spinning" something----- i agree someone is trying to "spin" something.

We understand that you are not a fan of our coach-- but I have a hard time standing by when someone starts "spinning" -- kinda like you.

Go Zags
                              That's the way I read it: he was complimenting the players for what they had achieved.

Comment

Working...
                              X