PDA

View Full Version : National Title Game Thread: Kentucky vs. UConn

CDC84
04-07-2014, 08:11 AM
6:10pm PT, CBS.

Keys to victory: Three things Kentucky must do against Connecticut

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-04-06/keys-to-victory-three-things-kentucky-must-do-against-connecticut

Keys to victory: Three things Connecticut must do against Kentucky

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-04-06/ncaa-tournament-2014-national-championship-game-connecticut-kentucky-keys-to-victory

Just so everyone knows, Cauley-Stein will not play for Kentucky.

I have no idea who is going to win this game. These are two teams who have caught lightning in a bottle. As talented as UK might be, I still don't feel that this is one of Calipari's most talented teams. There is only one legit lottery pick in the rotation, and his second best prospect - a mid-2015 first rounder - is out due to injury. I suspect Napier is going to have to have a monster game on offense. Napier/Boatright must keep the UK guards out of the lane. What's been keeping UK hanging around in games is the dribble drive offense and the UK big guys cleaning up the offensive glass and dunking home momentum changing lobs. If UConn takes that away, Harrison won't have the chance to win the game with a 35 foot three pointer from the left wing with 3 seconds left and a hand in his face.

gonzagafan62
04-07-2014, 08:16 AM
6:10pm PT, CBS.

Keys to victory: Three things Kentucky must do against Connecticut

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-04-06/keys-to-victory-three-things-kentucky-must-do-against-connecticut

Keys to victory: Three things Connecticut must do against Kentucky

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-04-06/ncaa-tournament-2014-national-championship-game-connecticut-kentucky-keys-to-victory

Just so everyone knows, Cauley-Stein will not play for Kentucky.

I have no idea who is going to win this game. These are two teams who have caught lightning in a bottle. As talented as UK might be, I still don't feel that this is one of Calipari's most talented teams. There is only one legit lottery pick in the rotation, and his second best prospect - a mid-2015 first rounder - is out due to injury. I suspect Napier is going to have to have a monster game on offense. Napier/Boatright must keep the UK guards out of the lane. What's been keeping UK hanging around in games is the dribble drive offense and the UK big guys cleaning up the offensive glass and dunking home momentum changing lobs. If UConn takes that away, Harrison won't have the chance to win the game with a 35 foot three pointer from the left wing with 3 seconds left and a hand in his face.

I wouldn't be nervous, scared, afraid, or hurt if this game went into OT. This whole tourney would be fully complete if it did.

Get me the Wild Wings button again. Please. That would be awesome.

cjm720
04-07-2014, 08:35 AM
Go UConn (I cannot for the life of me say go huskies without it feeling strange).

exclusivelee
04-07-2014, 08:38 AM
Would prefer for both of them to lose...

Birddog
04-07-2014, 08:44 AM
Yep, program wise I agree but I'd rather have Ollie over Caipari if I have to choose.

willandi
04-07-2014, 08:45 AM

Or have the game cancelled due to inclement fans.

gonzagafan62
04-07-2014, 08:47 AM
Maybe 6 or 7 OTs? That would be better.

cbbfanatic
04-07-2014, 09:05 AM
go kentucky

usually not a big calipari guy, but i'd love to see them come full circle and win it all. from preseason #1 to postseason #1 with a lot of bumps in between, and a great run in the tournament (ie playing real teams from rd 2 forward and some great endings).

also will love how uncomfortable it will make all the "see, you cant win with 1 and dones, give me seniors, blah blah blah" types that were certainly loving to jump on these guys most of the year for underachieving.

also love how they took care of wichita state who was something like 34-0 going in. cute record shockers, but you lost to the only really good team you played all year.

BobZag
04-07-2014, 09:41 AM
Well hell. Go UConn.

If UConn manages to somehow win this, that'll make 4 championships since 1999. Why wouldn't they be in the same category as what we call the bluebloods? Or do you just have to date back to the stone age to be a blueblood?

cbbfanatic
04-07-2014, 09:47 AM
Well hell. Go UConn.

If UConn manages to somehow win this, that'll make 4 championships since 1999. Why wouldn't they be in the same category as what we call the bluebloods? Or do you just have to date back to the stone age to be a blueblood?

i think they're already there --- took indiana's spot.

ZaGranny
04-07-2014, 09:50 AM

I am rooting for both teams to foul out all of their players with the score tied--that way, at least, neither wins. Or maybe they would have to all get flagrant 2's--that way nobody would be available to play if they re-scheduled the game. Or maybe all of the coaching staffs could get double technicals. They couldn't play the game if there were no coaches to coach, could they?

ZaGranny

gonzagafan62
04-07-2014, 09:52 AM
i think they're already there --- took indiana's spot.

I disagree. I don't think you can disclude Indiana with the prestige and history that the Hoosiers have. Sure its been awhile since they have won much or gone to the Final Four, but they are still a very good team most years. I think UCONN might surpass them (maybe) tonight, but even that is hard to tell without a substantial amount of time passing. People always look at (what has happened lately) or (what have you done for me lately, so I should say) and people always have such small memory banks. Insert in some history, please. Indiana is still one of the Top 5 programs in College Basketball (and historically obviously)... There is a clear definition between 1 and 5. 6-10 are sneaking up on the first 5, and UCONN is almost there. But 10 or so years does not make you a "Blue Blood"

IMO

former1dog
04-07-2014, 09:59 AM
I'm disappointed that Kentucky is in the final (again) with 5 freshman. I think it encourages the type of recruiting and program styles like Kentucky and I don't think its good for college basketball.

Calipari is a genius to be able to pull it off, though. An evil genius.

cbbfanatic
04-07-2014, 10:27 AM
I disagree. I don't think you can disclude Indiana with the prestige and history that the Hoosiers have. Sure its been awhile since they have won much or gone to the Final Four, but they are still a very good team most years. I think UCONN might surpass them (maybe) tonight, but even that is hard to tell without a substantial amount of time passing. People always look at (what has happened lately) or (what have you done for me lately, so I should say) and people always have such small memory banks. Insert in some history, please. Indiana is still one of the Top 5 programs in College Basketball (and historically obviously)... There is a clear definition between 1 and 5. 6-10 are sneaking up on the first 5, and UCONN is almost there. But 10 or so years does not make you a "Blue Blood"

IMO

totally understand that thought process, just feels to me like they have fallen from relevance in a big way --- a way that shouldnt happen to a true blue blood. take ND football for example... outside of that crazy title game run they had a couple years back, they've been underwhelming on the field, but their national relevance is still there - not sure its wavered all that much. it might erode some in the next 30 years as i think more ND fans are dying than being born, but comparing those two across their different sports makes me think indiana has fallen off the mountaintop, and that nothing short of another title or several final fours in a short period of time (similar to ucla of recent vintage) will help.

uk
ucla
duke
unc
kansas

those seem to the consensus top 5. they have past, present, and no reason to doubt their future.

the next group (in my view) is in limbo, but are really the only other programs out there that have any business in the "elite" debate.

uconn
michigan state
louisville
indiana
florida (johnny come lately, sure, but they've come on hard)

i'd pick indiana last out of that group of 5 in terms of near term potential - long term is hard to say with them. My opinion is that their days in the sun are over, but with the right group running the ship, they could get it back together - resources, passion and commitment are there.

RenoZag
04-07-2014, 12:37 PM
Like most versions of the Super Bowl, I'm hoping for an exciting closely contested game. No dog in the hunt otherwise.

gonzagafan62
04-07-2014, 12:46 PM
totally understand that thought process, just feels to me like they have fallen from relevance in a big way --- a way that shouldnt happen to a true blue blood. take ND football for example... outside of that crazy title game run they had a couple years back, they've been underwhelming on the field, but their national relevance is still there - not sure its wavered all that much. it might erode some in the next 30 years as i think more ND fans are dying than being born, but comparing those two across their different sports makes me think indiana has fallen off the mountaintop, and that nothing short of another title or several final fours in a short period of time (similar to ucla of recent vintage) will help.

uk
ucla
duke
unc
kansas

those seem to the consensus top 5. they have past, present, and no reason to doubt their future.

the next group (in my view) is in limbo, but are really the only other programs out there that have any business in the "elite" debate.

uconn
michigan state
louisville
indiana
florida (johnny come lately, sure, but they've come on hard)

i'd pick indiana last out of that group of 5 in terms of near term potential - long term is hard to say with them. My opinion is that their days in the sun are over, but with the right group running the ship, they could get it back together - resources, passion and commitment are there.

Yeah, Florida maybe, but I generally agree with most of what you said.

gonstu
04-07-2014, 12:54 PM

I'm with you.

ZagaZags
04-07-2014, 01:04 PM
Both UConn men and women won the championship in 2004. Will 2014 be a repeat?

Oregonzagnut
04-07-2014, 01:26 PM
A 8 seed 7 seed match up in the championship game is pretty cool, however it is these two historic teams with top recruits and previous championships. All that points to is the fact that they had a few bad regular season games and team chemistry or injuries were a factor.

These teams are not 8/7 seeds.

CDC84
04-07-2014, 01:29 PM
Both UConn men and women won the championship in 2004. Will 2014 be a repeat?

If there is a repeat, please don't let there be a repeat of what took place in Storrs last time:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/trutv.com/graphics/photogallery/uconn-riot/uconn-01.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/trutv.com/graphics/photogallery/uconn-riot/uconn-03.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/trutv.com/graphics/photogallery/uconn-riot/uconn-04.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/trutv.com/graphics/photogallery/uconn-riot/uconn-05.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/trutv.com/graphics/photogallery/uconn-riot/uconn-08.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/trutv.com/graphics/photogallery/uconn-riot/uconn-17.jpg

gonzagafan62
04-07-2014, 01:31 PM
If there is a repeat, please don't let there be a repeat of what took place in Storrs last time:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/trutv.com/graphics/photogallery/uconn-riot/uconn-01.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/trutv.com/graphics/photogallery/uconn-riot/uconn-03.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/trutv.com/graphics/photogallery/uconn-riot/uconn-04.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/trutv.com/graphics/photogallery/uconn-riot/uconn-05.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/trutv.com/graphics/photogallery/uconn-riot/uconn-08.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/trutv.com/graphics/photogallery/uconn-riot/uconn-17.jpg

Why do people have to be such idiots when their teams win?

Oregonzagnut
04-07-2014, 01:46 PM
The mob mentality is scary. I think people got suspended or even expelled due to the riots and vandalism.

75Zag
04-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Ugly photos. Always plenty of idiots to go around.

UK and UConn are slowly but surely catching up with UCLA's record in the NCAA Championship. Not seeing much progress in the UCLA program lately so maybe it is only a matter of time. How many more NCAA NC titles does Calipari need before they change the name of the Wooden Award to the Wooden-Calipari Award? And what if Calipari wins one more after that? The Calipari Award?

Times are changing.

Go Bulldogs - Next Year!

former1dog
04-07-2014, 02:33 PM
Ugly photos. Always plenty of idiots to go around.

UK and UConn are slowly but surely catching up with UCLA's record in the NCAA Championship. Not seeing much progress in the UCLA program lately so maybe it is only a matter of time. How many more NCAA NC titles does Calipari need before they change the name of the Wooden Award to the Wooden-Calipari Award? And what if Calipari wins one more after that? The Calipari Award?

Times are changing.

Go Bulldogs - Next Year!

My prediction is that Calipari will be fired and titles voided due to NCAA recruiting violations before he ever gets close to Wooden's numbers.

ZagaZags
04-07-2014, 02:54 PM
Why do people have to be such idiots when their teams win?

Or when their teams lose.

cbbfanatic
04-07-2014, 03:31 PM
My prediction is that Calipari will be fired and titles voided due to NCAA recruiting violations before he ever gets close to Wooden's numbers.

i believe he is probably cheating less now than at any point in the last 15 years. you dont need to be terribly shady to get the best of the best to show up to kentucky and play in that system, especially following the nba pipeline he created @ memphis. by the time he took over in lexington, the best kids were lined up to play for him. not sure it would be wise to cheat when you dont have to.

at umass, memphis, sure i think he was as dirty as it gets. i just dont think he NEEDS to play outside the lines as much now. just a hunch

Birddog
04-07-2014, 03:47 PM
i believe he is probably cheating less now than at any point in the last 15 years. you dont need to be terribly shady to get the best of the best to show up to kentucky and play in that system, especially following the nba pipeline he created @ memphis. by the time he took over in lexington, the best kids were lined up to play for him. not sure it would be wise to cheat when you dont have to.

at umass, memphis, sure i think he was as dirty as it gets. i just dont think he NEEDS to play outside the lines as much now. just a hunch
I think you are probably correct in that assumption. Still, I like my Calipari fried.

75Zag
04-07-2014, 03:50 PM
I enjoy the various posts about "cheating" by a particular coach or school against the NCAA. In my mind I picture the NCAA and Mark Emmert as playing the roles of the Virgin Mary and Jesus (feel free to swap them around if you prefer) and John Calipari as playing the role of Judas and/or Satan.

Pardon my laughter, but I am voting for Judas to win - by 6.

Go Bulldogs - Next Year!

Mr Vulture
04-07-2014, 04:52 PM
I expect this game to be close with UCONN winning in the end due to their free throw shooting. In fact, I'm gonna predict it goes to overtime. Let's call it 82-77 in OT...Huskies.

jazzdelmar
04-07-2014, 05:05 PM
Is Jim Nantz ego so unquenchable he needs to do the pre game PA as well? Obnoxious.

jazzdelmar
04-07-2014, 05:07 PM
Recruiting cheater vs academic wasteland. Lovely. Chew on that cbs.

jazzdelmar
04-07-2014, 05:09 PM
Greg Anthony gets to fawn over kaintuck one more nauseating time.

bballbeachbum
04-07-2014, 05:12 PM
Nantz voice totally different when doing the UK guys, jacked up, screaming. UConn got the standard away team intro imo for whatever reason.

I just can't listen to him...mute

bballbeachbum
04-07-2014, 05:14 PM
bummer because Greg and Steve are great imo

jazzdelmar
04-07-2014, 05:19 PM
Cauley Stein has a little Ammo in him

jazzdelmar
04-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Nantz voice totally different when doing the UK guys, jacked up, screaming. UConn got the standard away team intro imo for whatever reason.

I just can't listen to him...mute

1000%

jazzdelmar
04-07-2014, 05:27 PM
bummer because Greg and Steve are great imo

Nantz isn't accountable to anyone below Moonves at CBS.

bballbeachbum
04-07-2014, 05:35 PM
1000%

:cheers:

this game is basically offensive rebounding efforts vs. the fast break punishment for not getting the O board. Napier looks like he can get whatever he wants too

RenoZag
04-07-2014, 05:41 PM
UK missing the bunnies

gonstu
04-07-2014, 05:42 PM
is it just me or would zags be losing by about 50 at the half???

jazzdelmar
04-07-2014, 05:42 PM
City ball vs mcdonalds aa ball.

Birddog
04-07-2014, 05:43 PM
Well if this continues, Kevin Ollie will be wearing the Green Jacket.

jazzdelmar
04-07-2014, 05:43 PM
is it just me or would zags be losing by about 50 at the half???

"There was one?"

jazzdelmar
04-07-2014, 05:45 PM
Well if this continues, Kevin Ollie will be wearing the Green Jacket.

That would mean more of Nantz and his exquisite tonality. Make it stop.

jazzdelmar
04-07-2014, 05:47 PM
Crookapari should put the Rocket in. This is his type of run.

gonstu
04-07-2014, 05:49 PM
"There was one?"

???

RenoZag
04-07-2014, 05:50 PM
give me Curt Gowdy or Dick Enberg on the play - by - play any day. Anthony & Kerr are informative & entertaining. . .Nantz ? Putz in a blazer. . .

jazzdelmar
04-07-2014, 05:51 PM
???

Stripes reference.

gonstu
04-07-2014, 05:52 PM
give me Curt Gowdy or Dick Enberg on the play - by - play any day. Anthony & Kerr are informative & entertaining. . .Nantz ? Putz in a blazer. . .

Love Dick Enberg. He actually does some Padre games now.

bballbeachbum
04-07-2014, 05:54 PM
Calipari has called off the dogs for now on the O boards, no crashing on the jumpers, and balancing the floor...UConn finding it more difficult to score

RenoZag
04-07-2014, 05:55 PM
in other news, Graves is history

http://www.swxrightnow.com/story/25186896/report-gus-graves-accepts-oregon-offer

GrizZAG
04-07-2014, 05:57 PM
Did Kentucky start five freshmen? Now that's recruiting horsepower

bballbeachbum
04-07-2014, 06:00 PM

"he's looking, he's looking, he's under the gun...." Gowdy was great. I remember Enberg back to Sports Challenge

MDABE80
04-07-2014, 06:03 PM
UConn's small guards are really tough. Big big place to play.....kinda disorienting. Major comeback by UK.

jazzdelmar
04-07-2014, 06:04 PM
Even the ditzy sideline gal is pro UK. Ollie gently told her to stuff it.

MDABE80
04-07-2014, 06:24 PM
I noticed. I wonder why the favoritism. Cal's a scum...........works the system and finds a way through the rules. I hope UK loses.

jazzdelmar
04-07-2014, 06:27 PM
Nantz voice is two octaves higher when UK scores.

bballbeachbum
04-07-2014, 06:30 PM
some ball, and all over the elbow there, oh boy

CarolinaZagFan
04-07-2014, 06:31 PM
some ball, and all over the elbow there, oh boy

Refs are certainly letting them play

bballbeachbum
04-07-2014, 06:32 PM
UK has committed 4 fouls

bballbeachbum
04-07-2014, 06:33 PM
Refs are certainly letting them play

on the plays at the rim definitely

CarolinaZagFan
04-07-2014, 06:38 PM
Easily a flop there. I should've been a ref. They're all bad haha.

MJ777
04-07-2014, 06:41 PM
Would Wiltjer even play if be was still at UK?

Hoopaholic
04-07-2014, 06:45 PM
Guess the rules and emphasis have been tossed aside tonight. Lots moving screens, hand checks and contact during shots

jazzdelmar
04-07-2014, 06:45 PM

Smart move.

MDABE80
04-07-2014, 06:46 PM
A little but not much. Obviously he'd never fit with what Cal wants. He will do better here. Look at UK's bench. He'd be right there.

MJ777
04-07-2014, 06:49 PM
Daaammmn.

CarolinaZagFan
04-07-2014, 06:51 PM
��

BobZag
04-07-2014, 06:51 PM
Good enough game, but the best parts of it are the Godzilla previews! Woot! Woot!

MJ777
04-07-2014, 07:08 PM
WAy to foul white guy.

Ezag
Wow great game....

bballbeachbum
UK with 8 fouls whistled in the game, 4 minutes left

MJ777
04-07-2014, 07:20 PM
Smurfs are crying. I can't believe I rooted for UCONN.

Oregonzagnut
04-07-2014, 07:23 PM
Smurfs are crying. I can't believe I rooted for UCONN.

Me too. I have loathed UConn since beating us in the Elite 8. But yet there I was hoping for Kentucky to lose.

MDABE80
04-07-2014, 07:23 PM
NEW WAY TOO EARLY POLLS APPEAR THE REST OF THE WEEK!!

caduceus
04-07-2014, 07:26 PM
Just glad it's over. The Academic Probations vs. One and Dones. Way to go, NCAA.

GrizZAG
04-07-2014, 07:26 PM
How many of these freshmen are one and dones?

MJ777
04-07-2014, 07:33 PM
NEW WAY TOO EARLY POLLS APPEAR THE REST OF THE WEEK!!

Sorry doc, but I need an interpreter.

MJ777
04-07-2014, 07:35 PM
Too many missed FTs for Kentucky.

Section 116
04-07-2014, 07:37 PM
Here is one 2015/15 preseason poll: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24518398/cbssportscom-2014-15-ridiculously-early-preseason-top-25-and-one

75Zag
04-07-2014, 07:38 PM
Best to UConn. I bet on UK to win but was not particularly surprised by the outcome.

What can GU staff and administration do in order to make the GU program more like the UConn program? Should we be recruiting more under the radar kids from the NE corridor instead of from Oregon or Washington?

Go Bulldogs - Next Year!

MJ777
04-07-2014, 07:40 PM
Zags need "unrealistic thinking" and a "why not us attitude."

CDC84
04-07-2014, 07:40 PM
How many of these freshmen are one and dones?

Randle and Young are the only guys who have any business going. The Harrison twins and Johnson are projected back end 1st round picks in the 2015 draft.

Ekrub
04-07-2014, 07:45 PM
No gonzaga love in one shining moment

MJ777
04-07-2014, 07:52 PM

Maybe both games they were in were too ugly, but hey CBS Zags were in the Dance too. At least Rem made it into the white guy video.

Mantua
04-07-2014, 08:08 PM
If Kentucky had made their free throws they would have won!

exclusivelee
04-07-2014, 08:25 PM
Well, at least that team from Lexington did not win

skan72
04-07-2014, 10:32 PM

Jon Hood, a redshirt senior sitting on UK's bench, was a 4-star, top-50 guy coming out of high school. Tabbed as a versatile, 6'6" wing... hasn't developed, hasn't played any significant minutes in five years there.

A top-50 guy could have developed into something in a different situation. Good on Wiltjer for transferring out of there.

Birddog
04-08-2014, 05:01 AM
If you're not a Frosh or Soph at Kentucky, you're on the compost pile.

TexasZagFan
04-08-2014, 05:51 AM
Recruiting cheater vs academic wasteland. Lovely. Chew on that cbs.

Saw Geno's comments about the barbs thrown his team's way regarding academics (vs. Notre Dame). I suspect he's just doing that to fire up his team.

TexasZagFan
04-08-2014, 05:54 AM
Good enough game, but the best parts of it are the Godzilla previews! Woot! Woot!

I missed those...Munich was playing on cable, along with The Godfather. I didn't turn on the game until midway through the second half, saw the score, and hit the "last" button.

cbbfanatic
04-08-2014, 07:28 AM

i cant believe they still do this.

never understood why so many people like it

gonzagafan62
04-08-2014, 07:38 AM
i cant believe they still do this.

never understood why so many people like it

Me either. So dumb. I was hoping to at least see Rem Backamus in the one shining moment playing the air guitar.

cjm720
04-08-2014, 08:00 AM
Awesome game...good to be a fan of hoops. Zags will get there.

ZagaZags
04-08-2014, 08:50 PM

Damn, you called it.

http://thesource.com/2014/04/08/uconn-fans-riot-in-the-streets-after-winning-2014-ncaa-championship/

ZagaZags
04-08-2014, 10:04 PM
In case you missed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-yUhWoaRlA