PDA

View Full Version : Shem, Kyle, Sabonis

tyra
04-05-2014, 09:22 AM
Will we see them on the court together much? And what do people read or hear about Sabonis' passing ability?

GoZags
04-05-2014, 09:59 AM
The Rivals.com report on Sabonis says he's "a fantastic passer".

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Domantas-Sabonis-161699

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1621632

tyra
04-05-2014, 11:31 AM
If that is the case (Sabonis is an excellent passer) I could well imagine this starting line up before January:
1) Kevin
2) GBJR
3) Kyle
4) Sabonis
5) Shem
With KD coming off the bench first for lift or rest or speed adjustments.

MDABE80
04-05-2014, 12:13 PM
Likely a top 20 team come November.

Reborn
04-05-2014, 12:33 PM
A top ten team by the February.

zag buddy
04-05-2014, 01:31 PM
I don't know how you keep Edwards on the bench all year.

Kiddwell
04-05-2014, 01:47 PM
I don't know how you keep Edwards on the bench all year.

You redshirt Edwards.

:]

cggonzaga
04-05-2014, 01:59 PM
The way few spoke of Edwards at the end of last year he won't be sitting on the bench. Personally I like the idea of Ryan spelling Karno and Sabonis spelling Wiltjer. Talk about depth.

Oregonzagnut
04-05-2014, 02:07 PM
If Edwards wants to redshirt at all, the time to do it is next year. He can utilize the same RS training plan that Travis Knight did for Olynyk and Wiltjer, it could be the best thing for his career.

Hoopaholic
04-05-2014, 02:24 PM
The way few spoke of Edwards at the end of last year he won't be sitting on the bench. Personally I like the idea of Ryan spelling Karno and Sabonis spelling Wiltjer. Talk about depth.

This

maynard g krebs
04-05-2014, 04:11 PM
If Edwards wants to redshirt at all, the time to do it is next year. He can utilize the same RS training plan that Travis Knight did for Olynyk and Wiltjer, it could be the best thing for his career.

Agree. Barring injury to someone else, Edwards won't see the court for many minutes next year. Very much like Olynyk in terms of being a late bloomer. One of those guys who could be great as a 5th year sr; more in need of a redshirt than any other player than KO to reach his potential. And there have been many.

jchocolate99
04-05-2014, 04:16 PM
Meikle is the one who needs to redshirt because he won't be seeing many minutes with who's in front of him. Edwards does not need to redshirt because he'll be backing up Karno like Sabonis potentially will for Wiltjer. I'd rather have a big body replacing another big body underneath. That's depth...

BobZag
04-05-2014, 04:44 PM
With those three rotating, with Nunez, I'd expect Edwards and Meikle to redshirt and get the Travis Knight treatment.

seacatfan
04-05-2014, 04:55 PM
I really hope everybody isn't expecting every kid that takes a RS year at GU to undergo a transformation like Olynk did. That was once in a lifetime folks. Wiltjer has talent to work with but I think he's going to be a far cry from Olynk next year. Maybe better (and higher volume) perimeter shooter but I can't see him being as good posting up and facing up close to the basket as Kelly O. was that one incredible season.

Zag 77
04-05-2014, 05:04 PM
Why the mystery about Ryan Edwards getting minutes? Karnowski is not going to play 40 minutes a game. Sabonis, Wlitjer and Nunez rotate at the 4, Dranginis and Meikle at the 3. The 4's and 3's are not set in stone either. Some of them can alternate.

Let us not anoint ourselves just yet. Somebody could get hurt or sick, somebody could flunk out or win the Mega Millions Lottery. Somebody could get drunk and wreck a car. Let us temper some expectations.

GoZags
04-05-2014, 05:10 PM
I really hope everybody isn't expecting every kid that takes a RS year at GU to undergo a transformation like Olynk did. That was once in a lifetime folks. Wiltjer has talent to work with but I think he's going to be a far cry from Olynk next year. Maybe better (and higher volume) perimeter shooter but I can't see him being as good posting up and facing up close to the basket as Kelly O. was that one incredible season.

We'll see, won't we.

There has never, ever been a program designed like the "Olynyk Clinic" .... the mental aspect designed by an NBA Hall of Famer (and NBA alltime leader in 2 categories ... steals and assists) and the physical aspect being incredibly creative and effective.

As to it's future success on redshirts not named Kelly Olynyk?

We'll see, won't we.

Kiddwell
04-05-2014, 07:21 PM
In this fan's opinion, the Zags redshirt ones like Edwards and Meikle in order to mature and polish their games, not turn them into Kelly Olynyks. If memory serves, Sean Mallon redshirted, which gave us one more year of a savvy around-the-basket Big. More recently, Sam I Am redshirted, which turned him into the Zags' MVP/POY for 2013-'14.

Redshirting Edwards and Meikle this upcoming season (given the four guys in front of them) makes total sense, IMO. Not only do they "up" their b-ball ceiling, Edwards and Meikle get to earn master's degrees in the process.

:]

zagamatic
04-05-2014, 07:36 PM
The way that I see the rotation next year is this: Karnowski 25mpg, Edwards 15 at center. Wiltjer 20-25mpg, Sabonis at 15-20mpg, Nunez about 15-20mpg with all 3 playing the 3 or 4. With the guards .......Pangos and Perkins sharing the point with a heavy dose of Kyle early in the season til Perkins learns the system. Bell, Kyle, Coleman and Melson can all play the 2. With Coleman and Kyle pitching in at the 3. I like Meikle, but I just don't see many minutes for him unless he EARNS IT. If he does play much next year I see it coming at the 3 spot. This team has the chance to be ridiculously good. Not to mention the deepest team I can remember at Gonzaga.

seacatfan
04-05-2014, 07:41 PM
No doubt many players have benefited from red shirting, I'm not discouraging the practice. I just think the quantum leap that Olynk made during his RS year was an anomaly and should not be expected to be repeated by another player.

exclusivelee
04-05-2014, 07:41 PM
Just wanna chime in saying that there are 2 current Zags with the first name of 'Kyle'. Call one Dranginis/Draino/KD and the other Wiltjer/KW or whatever nickname. But neither just 'Kyle' if you can. Thanks

23zagmd
04-05-2014, 09:01 PM
wow, we went from not being deep at all at the 4 and 5, to not having enough minutes to go around.
the way the math works.....there isn't enough minutes to dole out without redshirting someone. We have 80 min of game time to split between Shem, Sabonis, KW, Nunez, Edwards, Meikle. Add to that the three spot and you get another 40 to be doled out but you have to add in the likes of Draino and Coleman.

And I still dream of adding a bigger athlete to this mix. We need someone that can play above the rim and defend guys like Gordon, Early, etc. if we plan to be around long come March.

tyra
04-05-2014, 10:04 PM
Sorry for the mislead on the Kyle business. I meant to indicate Kyle W to start at the 3 because of his outside shooting and because I thought I remembered that was his preference. Sabonis is a rebounder, has some good penetrating foot speed and can pass out. Kyle W can put it up from outside and although his rap at UK was not being fast enough to guard a 3, that seems like a more natural use of their respective talents.

zagamatic
04-05-2014, 10:37 PM
I also apologize for not being more specific about which Kyle I was referring to. Will try to keep it in mind in future posts

ZagaZags
04-05-2014, 10:53 PM
Kyle is going to be 1st team All - WCC next year.

Ezag
04-06-2014, 09:54 AM
Well take it with a grain of sand..... remember how great every report said about how Shem was before he arrived. They basically said he was NBA ready. Then when he got here he was very raw and not what anyone really expected based on those reports. He has developed into a tremendous player however but they made it seem like he was good to go out the gates.

Birddog
04-06-2014, 10:02 AM
Well take it with a grain of sand..... remember how great every report said about how Shem was before he arrived. They basically said he was NBA ready. Then when he got here he was very raw and not what anyone really expected based on those reports. He has developed into a tremendous player however but they made it seem like he was good to go out the gates.
Who were "they" and who wrote the reports? Consider the sources.

Bing
04-06-2014, 10:06 AM

Could you do the board a favor and kindly link to any of these "reports" that said Shem was "NBA ready" before he arrived? Thanks.

FWIW I recall there was excitement with his commitment, and there were several youtube clips, but I don't remember anybody saying he was "NBA ready"

BTB
04-06-2014, 10:09 AM
I'm surprised how many people think Wiltjer will be playing a lot of minutes at the 3 next year. Seems pretty sure that that's Dranginis' spot next year. Wiltjer is a stretch 4. The way I see it, Pangos and Bell will get the lion's share of the minutes at the 1 and 2 with Perkins and Melson getting to spell them. Dranginis will play most of the game at the 3 and maybe bump to the 2 for short stretches if we need to go big. Wiltjer and Karno will be our 4 and 5 with Sabonis and Nunez backing them up. Nunez and Coleman will play the 3 to spell Dranginis. I'd be very surprised if Edwards didn't redshirt but I don't get to watch him practice all summer either so who knows maybe he won't.

Fonebone
04-06-2014, 01:59 PM
Nunez spent half a redshirt season and all of this year with the Zags, but he never seemed to fit into any kind of offensive flow. He's had a lot of time to learn the system. Clearly he has some great potential, but if he can't learn to play in the flow, he may be severely limited in the time he plays. So I wonder about the projections of significant minutes for him. How confident are you all that he will change enough to not be a liability to the overall flow and efficiency of the team on offence ?

hooter73
04-06-2014, 02:02 PM
Its "Harris at the 3" all over again. KW is too slow to guard wing type players, which is part of why he transferred, to work on his closer to the basket game. He will not be an Olynyk who was a 7 ft center (eventually), BUT in Fews system if you're big/tall, you have to play under the basket. Nunez and Meilke on any other team would be out on the wing, here, they arent going to be as comfortable as the 4 spot that Few will require them play at.

sittingon50
04-06-2014, 02:15 PM
Nunez spent half a redshirt season and all of this year with the Zags, but he never seemed to fit into any kind of offensive flow. He's had a lot of time to learn the system. Clearly he has some great potential, but if he can't learn to play in the flow, he may be severely limited in the time he plays. So I wonder about the projections of significant minutes for him. How confident are you all that he will change enough to not be a liability to the overall flow and efficiency of the team on offence ?

FWIW fone, Angel didn't get cleared for "contact" in practice that 1st year until very late in the season due to the concussion he picked up @ Louisville. Big difference between watching practice & trying to pick things up as opposed to actually running the plays, screwing up, learning, & running them again.

That being said, I was hoping he would have been further along myself.

ZagaZags
04-17-2014, 07:38 PM
Shem, Kyle and Sabonis. This is an abundance of riches for GU next season.

1. Pangos

2. Bell

3. Dranginis

4. Wiltjer

5. Karnowski

6. Sabonis

7. Perkins

8. Melson

9. Alberts

10. Nunez

11. Coleman

12. Meikle

13. Edwards*

* redshirt

hockeyzag
04-17-2014, 08:17 PM
A top ten team by the February.

And out after the second round in March.

2wiceright
04-17-2014, 11:05 PM
I heard Tommy talking via phone to the sports director of Krem 2 at 6 tonight: D Sabonis will be an impact player from day one this coming season. Exciting to hear and I hope it's true but both him and Few (link on earlier thread of Sabonis signing) both say very similar things about him- almost to the point we should expect another Elias Harris (Div. 1 ready and an "impact" player from the get go).

Add Kyle Wiltjer and an improved Karno and this could potentially be one of, if not the best team the Zags have put on the court to date. Assuming Kevin and Gary are fully healed and injury free...

I know it's way to early (who knows if this team will even gel like other Zag teams) but barring injury and the unkown, which is vast!, I'm betting this year will be a lot like Kelly O's, only we get to the S16 and probably further this year! Yeah Baby, drink that Koolaide!!!:000tens:

ZagaZags
04-17-2014, 11:12 PM
I heard Tommy talking via phone to the sports director of Krem 2 at 6 tonight: D Sabonis will be an impact player from day one this coming season. Exciting to hear and I hope it's true but both him and Few (link on earlier thread of Sabonis signing) both say very similar things about him- almost to the point we should expect another Elias Harris (Div. 1 ready and an "impact" player from the get go).

Add Kyle Wiltjer and an improved Karno and this could potentially be one of, if not the best team the Zags have put on the court to date. Assuming Kevin and Gary are fully healed and injury free...

I know it's way to early (who knows if this team will even gel like other Zag teams) but barring injury and the unkown, which is vast!, I'm betting this year will be a lot like Kelly O's, only we get to the S16 and probably further this year! Yeah Baby, drink that Koolaide!!!:000tens:

Hmmmm, I may have talked to you on the phone a few years ago 2wiceright. If you were at krem 2 a few years ago.

hooter73
04-18-2014, 08:03 AM
I stick with the issue of players playign out of their comfortable positions. I think Meilke even over possibly Nunez and especially over Wiltjer has the ability to play on the Wing, but doubt he'll have the chance with or without a redshirt.

The wing position is what will make or break another amazing year for us. On arguably the best team GU has ever had, Hart was incredible and yet not enough to really fill in the scoring needed from that position. The Wing next year hinges on Draginis asserting himself (besides the gaudy stats other than scoring), Nunez and or Coleman really putting it all together or an amazing transition in foot speed for Wiltjer. If just one of those happens, we are good to go but all three of those things are asking quite a bit.

Mojo13
04-18-2014, 08:20 AM
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/17/gonzaga-adds-forward-domantas-sabonis-to-solid-2014-recruiting-haul/

"Few also noted in the release that 7-footer Ryan Edwards, who was a freshman this past season, is hoping to redshirt this season."

HillBillyZag
04-18-2014, 09:23 AM
I might be wrong?, but I can't imagine K.D. not starting or at the least playing BIG minutes. If Few gives him the green light, he could be one of the leading scorers on the team. He can pass, take it to the hole, hit a mid range jumper, or hit the three? He plays tough defense and rebounds well. IMHO the kids is arguably OVERALL, one of the most talented players on this team.

jazzdelmar
04-18-2014, 09:25 AM
I might be wrong?, but I can't imagine K.D. not starting or at the least playing BIG minutes. If Few gives him the green light, he could be one of the leading scorers on the team. He can pass, take it to the hole, hit a mid range jumper, or hit the three? He plays tough defense and rebounds well. IMHO the kids is arguably OVERALL the most talented player on this team.

KD=poor man's Stauskas is the ambition here.

Zagcity
04-18-2014, 09:31 AM
And out after the second round in March.

Tisk tisk

titopoet
04-18-2014, 10:14 AM
Its "Harris at the 3" all over again. KW is too slow to guard wing type players, which is part of why he transferred, to work on his closer to the basket game. He will not be an Olynyk who was a 7 ft center (eventually), BUT in Fews system if you're big/tall, you have to play under the basket. Nunez and Meilke on any other team would be out on the wing, here, they arent going to be as comfortable as the 4 spot that Few will require them play at.

Not add fuel. Sabonis was being groomed to play 3 by his Euroleague team. I think with 80 min between the three, there is enough minutes for the three.

jim77
04-18-2014, 10:54 AM
Kyle is going to be 1st team All - WCC next year.

More like first team AA....with the acquisition of Sabonis, Kyle W will be freed up to score at will. With a Very experienced KP and PK OWNING the paint, Kyle W will put on a show..and he's 6-10..an absolute nighmare 3 to guard. If the guys work hard this is a top 5 team nationally. Also, Kyle D will be a force and Nunez could do major damage....this is a team with serious length AND SKILL. Kevin must be stoked to have these guy to facilitate...a VERY target rich environment!

zag67
04-18-2014, 11:02 AM
I think one of the major aspects of this team is going to be the chemistry. You have many super athletes who all want major minutes. Many of them have flaws either offensively or defensively that they might not want to admit them because they are so good in other areas. The older players need to get them all working for creating a winning team. The coaches need to get them on the same pages and work to demonstrate to them how to improve their games and integrate them. The coaches also need to find the right combinations to get the most out of them. I just hope that they have the same chemistry as they have had.

exclusivelee
04-18-2014, 11:16 AM
Not add fuel. Sabonis was being groomed to play 3 by his Euroleague team. I think with 80 min between the three, there is enough minutes for the three.

Remember when Germany wanted Elias to play the 3? Oh, and all those thinking Kelly may also? Rarely happened for Elias and if I'm not mistaken, never happened for Kelly.

Sabonis is likely to fill some time at the 5, but probably most at the 4. Sam is most likely to be true for Wiltjer, as well.

BIGS:

Karnowski - 7'1
Wiltjer - 6'10
Sabonis - 6'11
Meikle - 6'9
Nunez - 6'8

The only one of those that will probably see minutes at the 3 is Nunez (his true position)

Bkzag
04-18-2014, 11:33 AM
I stick with the issue of players playign out of their comfortable positions. I think Meilke even over possibly Nunez and especially over Wiltjer has the ability to play on the Wing, but doubt he'll have the chance with or without a redshirt.

The wing position is what will make or break another amazing year for us. On arguably the best team GU has ever had, Hart was incredible and yet not enough to really fill in the scoring needed from that position. The Wing next year hinges on Draginis asserting himself (besides the gaudy stats other than scoring), Nunez and or Coleman really putting it all together or an amazing transition in foot speed for Wiltjer. If just one of those happens, we are good to go but all three of those things are asking quite a bit.

"Hillbillyzag I might be wrong?, but I can't imagine K.D. not starting or at the least playing BIG minutes. If Few gives him the green light, he could be one of the leading scorers on the team. He can pass, take it to the hole, hit a mid range jumper, or hit the three? He plays tough defense and rebounds well. IMHO the kids is arguably OVERALL, one of the most talented players on this team."

I have watched UK play a couple of games when KW was playing for them but don't recall if he has the quickness to play the SF position. If he does and Coach Few allows him to play the SF & PF positions, then we would have a darn strong and deep front court. KW could be a very dominant and game changing player. Someone mentioned ALL WCC and even an AA player. From what I saw when he was at UK, he has the talent to excell and be our "go to guy." Only time will tell if he has improved as much as we have hoped.

IMO...KD was the most consistent player on the team last year and "IF" Coach Few gave him the perverable "green light" he could score in double digits. Think his 3pt shooting would need some work as he had a small sampling last year. His "D" is excellent and if KW isn't able to play at the SF, then KD should most probably start at the SF position.

Also, am hoping GBJ becomes a more consistent player...he does well in the first half but many times has disappeared in the second. Maybe that is because he always has the toughest defensive assignment.

If the team has good Chemistry as did the 12-13 team, then we should have a really good season and hopefully, if injury free, progress further in the Tournament.

webspinnre
04-18-2014, 11:46 AM
Domas seems perfectly suited to play a face up 4.

kitzbuel
04-19-2014, 04:29 AM

He also did make the decision to leave them and play at GU.

jazzdelmar
04-19-2014, 04:39 AM
So GU will have 5 or 6 players over 6-8, incl as many as 4 seven footers and 6-4 KD will start at the 3? The 3 guard lineup lives? KD is tallish for a guard but he is certainly not big enough for a small forward. As for KW, he may be slow afoot on D but who is going to stop him on O? I am still looking for KP, GB, KW, DS and Karno, with Perk and KD in the "starting" ro. Melson is the wildcard, he cd blow all this up..in a good way. Not counting on much from AN or GS, but Meikle just needs a fair shot.

FieldHouseFishHouse
04-19-2014, 05:51 AM
So GU will have 5 or 6 players over 6-8, incl as many as 4 seven footers and 6-4 KD will start at the 3? The 3 guard lineup lives? KD is tallish for a guard but he is certainly not big enough for a small forward. As for KW, he may be slow afoot on D but who is going to stop him on O? I am still looking for KP, GB, KW, DS and Karno, with Perk and KD in the "starting" ro. Melson is the wildcard, he cd blow all this up..in a good way. Not counting on much from AN or GS, but Meikle just needs a fair shot.

I am less interested in the persistence of the 3-guard lineup than the news that GU will have four 7-footers next year. Did someone grow?

GonzagasaurusFlex
04-19-2014, 06:32 AM
I'm surprised how many people think Wiltjer will be playing a lot of minutes at the 3 next year. Seems pretty sure that that's Dranginis' spot next year. Wiltjer is a stretch 4. The way I see it, Pangos and Bell will get the lion's share of the minutes at the 1 and 2 with Perkins and Melson getting to spell them. Dranginis will play most of the game at the 3 and maybe bump to the 2 for short stretches if we need to go big. Wiltjer and Karno will be our 4 and 5 with Sabonis and Nunez backing them up. Nunez and Coleman will play the 3 to spell Dranginis. I'd be very surprised if Edwards didn't redshirt but I don't get to watch him practice all summer either so who knows maybe he won't.

+1

Zagdawg
04-19-2014, 07:09 AM
+2

titopoet
04-19-2014, 07:28 AM
my view is that if one big plays 3 it will Dom. I don't think we see it a lot. Now, we have see chem between the players as that will go deciding the line ups. On the 3 guards line up, sorry to inform people, but that is overwhelming line up in the NCAA, including UCONN, MSU. KD is a playmaker and having three player makers on court really makes Few's system to work. Having 3 guards who played together and know each other is invaluable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jazzdelmar
04-19-2014, 08:03 AM
my view is that if one big plays 3 it will Dom. I don't think we see it a lot. Now, we have see chem between the players as that will go deciding the line ups. On the 3 guards line up, sorry to inform people, but that is overwhelming line up in the NCAA, including UCONN, MSU. KD is a playmaker and having three player makers on court really makes Few's system to work. Having 3 guards who played together and know each other is invaluable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Surely you're not comparing GU guards to MSU and Uconn or Zona? If KW and DS are our 2nd and 3rd best players shouldn't they start?

VinnyZag
04-19-2014, 09:57 AM
Couple of thoughts on this subject:

Most if us, me included, haven't seen enough of Sabonis to have an informed opinion of whether he's able to play on the perimeter. But since he's 6-10 or 6-11, it's a safe bet that he is best suited to 4 or 5.

Based on the handful of games I saw on TV when Wiltjer was at Kentucky, I don't think he can guard college 3s. I suspect that many of you who want him to be a small forward aren't considering that.

Another problem with starting three bigs is ball handling. The three needs to be able to help out with that. Not sure Wiltjer has the handles.

tyra
04-19-2014, 11:24 AM
I know that Shem, KW and Sabonis will very likely not start together but I am so looking forward to seeing them on the floor together at times. KW's liabilities in defending college 3s notwithstanding, how in the world do our opponents defend against us with that lineup?!

jazzdelmar
04-19-2014, 11:31 AM
I know that Shem, KW and Sabonis will very likely not start together but I am so looking forward to seeing them on the floor together at times. KW's liabilities in defending college 3s notwithstanding, how in the world do our opponents defend against us with that lineup?!

Why are we worried about KW's alleged inability to defend elite threes? How many will GU really face? And doesn't the payoff on the other end more than compensate for liabilities that may not even exist? Time to play your best -- KW, DS and Shem -- and stop tinkering with a three guard, still undersized backcourt. Few never gave KD the green light all last year so why start next? He's a piece, not the prize. Actually, if anyone steps aside for KD or even Nunez it might be Shem.

Ekrub
04-19-2014, 11:46 AM
Why are we worried about KW's alleged inability to defend elite threes? How many will GU really face? And doesn't the payoff on the other end more than compensate for liabilities that may not even exist? Time to play your best -- KW, DS and Shem -- and stop tinkering with a three guard, still undersized backcourt. Few never gave KD the green light all last year so why start next? He's a piece, not the prize. Actually, if anyone steps aside for KD or even Nunez it might be Shem.

If DS is as good as advertised I agree. KD makes for a wonderful 6th man.

exclusivelee
04-19-2014, 11:56 AM
Biggest concern this offseason should be rebounding. Too many times in the 2013-14 season the Zags were killed by allowing too many offensive rebounds. On a number of occasions, our bigs could not secure a rebound, allowing extra possessions to the other team. More than 5 times our players collided going for a rebound, not calling for the ball and on a couple of those occasions we suffered injuries, and fumbling the ball out of bounds.

maynard g krebs
04-19-2014, 11:57 AM
Couple of thoughts on this subject:

Most if us, me included, haven't seen enough of Sabonis to have an informed opinion of whether he's able to play on the perimeter. But since he's 6-10 or 6-11, it's a safe bet that he is best suited to 4 or 5.

Based on the handful of games I saw on TV when Wiltjer was at Kentucky, I don't think he can guard college 3s. I suspect that many of you who want him to be a small forward aren't considering that.

Another problem with starting three bigs is ball handling. The three needs to be able to help out with that. Not sure Wiltjer has the handles.

That about covers it. I think the PK/KW/DS lineup could be used for stretches of a few minutes by playing 2-3 zone and create some mismatches and headaches for opponents, but in today's game you need a ball handler with at least good quickness on the wing. Daye is the only player that size the Zags have had in the last couple decades who could play the wing; Downs too but he's 2-3 in shorter.

If Sabonis can play like Daye or Downs, it could work. As Vinny says, probably none of us know. But unless Wiltjer is a completely different player than in hs or UK, he's a 4.

BTB
04-19-2014, 12:11 PM
If KW and DS are our 2nd and 3rd best players shouldn't they start?

No, unless they start at the 4 and 5. Putting Wiltjer at the 3 would minimize his strengths and maximize his weaknesses. There are very few 4s in college basketball who will be able to guard him on the perimeter, but put him at the 3 and he will be playing against guys used to guarding the perimeter. He won't be quick enough to create any offense if a 3 is guarding him. Sure, he would have an advantage posting up 3s but we already would have two other post players on the floor, things would get congested quickly. Defensively he is going to be quicker and taller than most 4s and will have an advantage guarding them in the paint or on the perimeter. But against 3s he will be much slower than most and his height advantage won't matter as much since they will be playing mostly on the perimeter.

Can we put all 3 on the court for stretches of time to create mismatches and give us major length (Karno, Domantas, Wiltjer, Drain all at once is LONG)? Absolutely we can and should do that occasionally. But there's no way that should be our primary unit.

CdAZagFan
04-19-2014, 01:23 PM
Wiltjer and Karno will be our 4 and 5 with Sabonis and Nunez backing them up. Nunez and Coleman will play the 3 to spell Dranginis. I'd be very surprised if Edwards didn't redshirt but I don't get to watch him practice all summer either so who knows maybe he won't.

I noticed in the European press release that Sabonis' father made mention that the reason his son didn't pursue a contract over there was because he could step into a starting five in USA college right off the bat… I wonder just how much he will be sitting.

Baseline
04-19-2014, 01:29 PM
The lineup next year will be a very high class problem to resolve. I think you will mostly see Shem and KW anchoring their positions with DS rotating through both the 4 and 5 to spell them. Big guys need to rest and get foul problems so this seems like a way of using everyone. Shem had foul problems last year, mostly early on, but he needed to set often enough that DS can rack up some pretty good time spelling him. Same thing for KW. If there is foul problems anywhere we don't lose much if anything by rotating in this manner. Depending on match ups we may see all three on the floor in some games.
I think Few will have a very good opportunity to game plane with match ups in mind.
Its all very exciting to think about! I don't want to wish away the summer, but will be very happy when these guys hit the floor again.

jazzdelmar
04-19-2014, 01:29 PM
I noticed in the European press release that Sabonis' father made mention that the reason his son didn't pursue a contract other there was because he could step into a starting five in USA college right off the bat… I wonder just how much he will be sitting.

Hello. Not at all.

VinnyZag
04-19-2014, 04:17 PM
And doesn't the payoff on the other end more than compensate for liabilities that may not even exist?

I wouldn't undervalue the importance of being able to guard. And I don't see why it's necessary to sacrifice defense for offense. Plenty of minutes to go around if you're rotating three bigs.

Also, I don't just doubt his ability to guard elite small forwards, I doubt his ability to guard pretty much any good college wing.

sittingon50
04-19-2014, 08:36 PM
I don't feel Daye was a particularly good defender, but he blocked 70 shots his Soph. year, a GU one season record. As I recall, a lot of those were from behind after his man blew past him. Wiltjer & Sabonis will probably be able to do much of the same based on their length, particularly in the WCC.

ZagZombie
04-20-2014, 02:51 PM
Does anyone know what Shem's summer plans are? Is he going back to Poland and play for his national team or will he be staying here and working on his body and game?

I may not have all the knowledge about Sabonis as others on this thread seem to know. But I remember when Karnowski decided to play here at Gonzaga some people on this board projected him as a possible one and done type of guy. Or a man that would be incredibly dominant his freshman year. Well not saying he had a bad year or anything but I think we overhyped him. Are we doing the same thing with Sabonis here? Or should I expect an Elias Harris type freshman year performance?

Push the Kool-Aid aside please

hooter73
04-21-2014, 08:11 AM

Something about defense wins championships...

Weve tried all offense all the time and consistently get hammered when we play against real competition, no more 4v5 on either side of the court for me.

hooter73
04-21-2014, 08:15 AM
Does anyone know what Shem's summer plans are? Is he going back to Poland and play for his national team or will he be staying here and working on his body and game?

I may not have all the knowledge about Sabonis as others on this thread seem to know. But I remember when Karnowski decided to play here at Gonzaga some people on this board projected him as a possible one and done type of guy. Or a man that would be incredibly dominant his freshman year. Well not saying he had a bad year or anything but I think we overhyped him. Are we doing the same thing with Sabonis here? Or should I expect an Elias Harris type freshman year performance?

Push the Kool-Aid aside please

I wonder about this a lot myself and then remember how after Harris started, everyone was saying "one and done" with him too. Then three years later Few in an interview says how he, Harris, and anyone else that knows anything knows that Harris was never an NBA prospect after his freshman year.

cjm720
04-21-2014, 10:26 AM
It'll be nice to have 3 starting level post players. I'm sure Few will play a 3 guard line-up to maximize his strength in the front court.