04-03-2014, 06:19 PM
You shoot it.
No, you shoot it.
I don't want it.
C'mon, you shoot it.
I ain't shootin' this last shot.
Here, you take the ball.
Defer, defer, defer, defer.

The team begins to slump, whatever will we do, where have you gone Joe Dimaggio, our nation turns its lonely eyes to you, woo-woo-woo. What's that you say Mrs. Robinson, Joltin' Joe has left and gone away.

Death, be not proud! I am here! I am the Alpha Dog and I ain't scared of sh!t. Gimme the ball, I'll drill the game winner just as cool as ice. It's what I do. It's who I am. It defines me. Bang a gong, get it on, let's go win out! This team is MINE!

Savvy?

GrizZAG
04-03-2014, 06:30 PM
Ammo was that guy. Dammit Ammo, teach em bro!

jazzdelmar
04-03-2014, 06:30 PM
It's been a while since the last true Bull-Alpha-Dog.

BTB
04-03-2014, 07:00 PM
Meh. Kevin always wants to shoot. So does Gerard.

bartruff1
04-03-2014, 07:50 PM
I saw a variety of players take game winning shots in the last few seconds this year....I don't recall a game that was lost because someone/anyone hesitated to shoot.

This is about the best passing team I have seen and when you are passing up good shots to get better shots, it doesn't always work out and so you appear to have hesitated.

Obviously if you have a All American who is taking a lot of shots, it makes sense that he takes the game/half ending shots. I like this a lot better.

Zagdawg
04-03-2014, 07:50 PM
Dickau was money at the end of a half or at the end of the game-- he wanted the ball in his hands.

cggonzaga
04-03-2014, 08:48 PM
Wiltjer and Pangos.

hooter73
04-03-2014, 08:51 PM
Nonsense? I think not. When was the last 'take over a game' player we had? Kelly was close, E never had the 40 minute consistency, Bouldin was quiet in his ice in his veins ways. I think we saw that Kevin was ready to be unstoppable at the start of the season but the cards didnt line up for him.

Dickau, Morrison... who's next?

BTB
04-03-2014, 09:48 PM
Dickau was money at the end of a half or at the end of the game-- he wanted the ball in his hands.

Probably the biggest criticism of LeBron James is that he passes too often at the end game. I saw as many game winning shots by Zags this year as a remember seeing the last couple years put together. I don't see a problem.

jazzdelmar
04-04-2014, 03:06 AM
It's a short list. Dan and Ammo of course. Then it's open for debate.

SteelCityZag
04-04-2014, 05:21 AM
While I agree with the original post's idea, in theory, we can't judge Kevin on the second half of last year's performance. I was in Morgantown last year for the WVU game when late in the game Kevin hit three 3-pointers in four trips down the court (or something close to that) and put the game on ice for the Zags in a very tough gym. And we needed everyone one of them. Kevin was healthy and feeling it that night, to be certain. The defeated look on the WVU players' faces was obvious and Kevin took the air out the entire building. He IS an Alpha Dog when healthy. He's a warrior, fearless and as tough as nails. The guy we saw throughout the entire WCC conference schedule was a shell of the KP that took those big shots. To me, and given Kevin's history of coming up big when the spotlight is shining it brightest, this speaks to just how injured the guy was, and how much pain he was fighting through to help lift his team to another league championship, WCC conference championship, and another victory in the NCAA tournament when NOBODY thought we had a chance to win against OSU.

TexasZagFan
04-04-2014, 06:09 AM
While I agree with the original post's idea, in theory, we can't judge Kevin on the second half of last year's performance. I was in Morgantown last year for the WVU game when late in the game Kevin hit three 3-pointers in four trips down the court (or something close to that) and put the game on ice for the Zags in a very tough gym. And we needed everyone one of them. Kevin was healthy and feeling it that night, to be certain. The defeated look on the WVU players' faces was obvious and Kevin took the air out the entire building. He IS an Alpha Dog when healthy. He's a warrior, fearless and as tough as nails. The guy we saw throughout the entire WCC conference schedule was a shell of the KP that took those big shots. To me, and given Kevin's history of coming up big when the spotlight is shining it brightest, this speaks to just how injured the guy was, and how much pain he was fighting through to help lift his team to another league championship, WCC conference championship, and another victory in the NCAA tournament when NOBODY thought we had a chance to win against OSU.

My impression of the "real" Gary Bell goes back to the dagger he nailed at OSU, with help from a great pick set by Mike Hart. I'm searching my memory, but I don't recall the Zags being a great screen-setting team this year. Lots of ball movement, but when the clock wound down, our 3 pointers were closely contested.

Kevin and GB really fought through their injuries, and I look forward to the leadership they'll provide next year. I expect them to be options 1A/1B during crunch time.

jpwils
04-04-2014, 06:38 AM
My impression of the "real" Gary Bell goes back to the dagger he nailed at OSU, with help from a great pick set by Mike Hart. I'm searching my memory, but I don't recall the Zags being a great screen-setting team this year. Lots of ball movement, but when the clock wound down, our 3 pointers were closely contested.

Kevin and GB really fought through their injuries, and I look forward to the leadership they'll provide next year. I expect them to be options 1A/1B during crunch time.

Besides Hart- who do you remember being a consistently rock-solid pick-setter??

TexasZagFan
04-04-2014, 07:14 AM
Besides Hart- who do you remember being a consistently rock-solid pick-setter??

That will take some thought...let's face it, Hart was a superb role player, despite his reticence to shoot.

cjm720
04-04-2014, 07:35 AM
Pangos is close. We desperately need one IMO. We're a fairly cohesive group that sometime passes too much IMO. Lots of gritty players, but who's the one guy that all expect to take that last shot? If it's not Pangos, who?

gonstu
04-04-2014, 08:44 AM
It's a short list. Dan and Ammo of course. Then it's open for debate.

Add Matt Bouldin to that list IMO.

BobZag
04-04-2014, 09:25 AM
Blake Stepp.

gonzagafan62
04-04-2014, 09:28 AM
I don't think we can have this conversation without Pangos. He had a couple game winning shots, clutch shots, and HUGE free throws so far. I wouldn't put him up with AMMO or Dickau yet, he still has another year left to play.

bigblahla
04-04-2014, 10:07 AM
Blake Stepp.

Yep.....never ever worried when Blake was on the floor...loved when he almost shot us back single handed in the game against Indiana in Maui...still think he was fouled on the last three point attempt. I always loved Captain Matt...what a complete player.

Go!! Zags!!!

hooter73
04-04-2014, 10:12 AM
Stepp yes but like all the others, his dominance didnt really expand into march. Hard to not include him though if we're going to include Bouldin.

DixieZag
04-04-2014, 11:11 AM
Every team has at least one player who is their alpha that year.

Kevin would have been it, Sam became it when Kevin couldn't do it. But, neither one of them were - "give it to me" guys when a big basket was needed. Kelly was very much the guy two years ago, if an inside basket was needed.

Next year it will be Pangos and Wilter, with Gary floating around as an option.

NumberCruncher
04-04-2014, 05:21 PM
What I want know is: who will be the numeric dog? :o

maynard g krebs
04-04-2014, 06:45 PM
I want to see at least 3 guys on the court who are comfortable taking the last shot. A guy like Adam doesn't come along often, and short of a guy like that, when both teams know who's taking that shot, it's much easier for the defense to plan to stop it.

Look at the 99 team. Frahm, MS, Hall would all take the big shot, and if they missed Calvary would follow it. Much harder to guard when a bunch of guys have that confidence. I hope to see that next year w/ Bell, Pangos, Wiltjer.

jazzdelmar
04-04-2014, 07:29 PM
What I want know is: who will be the numeric dog? :o

Too many beta dogs.

ZagLawGrad
04-04-2014, 08:01 PM
I don't see either Pangos or Bell fitting the description of Alpha Dog. Especially Bell.

Forget this alpha stuff. We need some bona fide gunslingers. Some warriors. Some Vikings. Don Corleone and Luca Brasi. Some in your face *#*#'s.

gonzagafan62
04-05-2014, 11:22 AM
I don't see either Pangos or Bell fitting the description of Alpha Dog. Especially Bell.

Forget this alpha stuff. We need some bona fide gunslingers. Some warriors. Some Vikings. Don Corleone and Luca Brasi. Some in your face *#*#'s.

Just as long as they aren't Mikka. (Sp?)

229SintoZag
04-05-2014, 01:34 PM
I am surprised nobody has yet named Turiaf in this thread. He played with some other alphas, but that guy wanted the rock with the game on the line, and often did just fine in such a situation. Anyone recall the BIS in Seattle against Missouri?

Oregonzagnut
04-05-2014, 02:40 PM
Apparently alpha dog translates to All-American at Gonzaga. I will take anyone who can do what Dickau and Morrison could do. I think it possible we could see this type of player rise up out of the new recruits and transfers that are coming in next year. But Fews recruiting seems to avoid "alpha dogs" in favor of total team players. Dickau and Morrison were aberrations who developed into the All Americans when no one expected it from them out of high school.

tobizag
04-06-2014, 11:03 AM
Blake Stepp.

dickau and ammo took and made shots.

as it relates to this conversation, stepp was a professional brick artist. he was virtually invisible in the biggest games, and at the biggest moments. let's play word association:

"shot at the buzzer...."

with dickau: st joe's, cash money.
with ammo: ok state, san fran, cash money.
with stepp: your first thought is "clang" from 8 feet vs arizona.

Bkzag
04-06-2014, 01:27 PM
Wasn't Jeremy Pargo our last "Alpha Dog?"