PDA

View Full Version : Progress of G. Coleman

zag67
04-02-2014, 11:40 AM
I thought that GC was doing a super job in his improvement during the year.

In the first half of year he seemed to be lost on defense and on offense only knew how to attack the rim with no focus on what the defense was doing. Against non athletic teams he did great but those teams that worked a super help defense, they would close and he would make a turnover.

About half way through the year he seemed to be able to find the open person as they closed in on him. Then on defense he realized that being in good position for help. He also seemed to know when to help versus when to stay with a shooter. I do hope he returns and think he would be even better as next year goes on. I also hope that he improves his mid range shot.

jazzdelmar
04-02-2014, 11:47 AM
I thought that GC was doing a super job in his improvement during the year.

In the first half of year he seemed to be lost on defense and on offense only knew how to attack the rim with no focus on what the defense was doing. Against non athletic teams he did great but those teams that worked a super help defense, they would close and he would make a turnover.

About half way through the year he seemed to be able to find the open person as they closed in on him. Then on defense he realized that being in good position for help. He also seemed to know when to help versus when to stay with a shooter. I do hope he returns and think he would be even better as next year goes on. I also hope that he improves his mid range shot.

IMO, at no time this season did GC look like a player with two years of significant, highest level D-1 experience.

ZagMania
04-02-2014, 04:48 PM
Does his best work in transition, which is why I think he stood out so well initially as the Zags always seem to be able to get out an run really well to start each season. Then I'm not sure if its the team defenses getting better or our approach changes, but the tempo slows down and he struggled mightily in the half court. I definitely saw improvement, and think he can get there to be a contributor.

Also think his athleticism could get quite a bit better with a good amount of weight training. A little too unbalanced at times.

I'm really hoping he stays and things work out well for him.

DixieZag
04-02-2014, 05:02 PM
Like Nunez, I think if he concentrated more on cutting off of picks and back doors, much less breaking the man down on the dibble drive, both would be far more effective.

I'm not coach but I would have them receive the ball around a pylon or big inflatable. . . pilots, and catch the ball, two steps, rim.

Baseline
04-02-2014, 05:13 PM
Coleman was my biggest disappointing for this season. I had expected so much more from the previous years opening game amongst the team and what had been reported out of rumor central.
I did see some improvements in his game as he started to not drive every time he got the ball and started to give it up and play team ball, but after playing for a while he would revert and start forcing the drives, for which he was quickly benched. He has a huge amount to learn to fit in and I do not think that will happen, considering the competition. I think this may have been a bad transfer for both Coleman and GU and there is sadness in that as it will waste a career as this will be the end for him. I absolutely hope I'm wrong and it works out great, its always nice to see everyone succeed, but sadly life does not work that way.

Oregonzagnut
04-02-2014, 09:13 PM
Coleman was my biggest disappointing for this season. I had expected so much more from the previous years opening game amongst the team and what had been reported out of rumor central.
I did see some improvements in his game as he started to not drive every time he got the ball and started to give it up and play team ball, but after playing for a while he would revert and start forcing the drives, for which he was quickly benched. He has a huge amount to learn to fit in and I do not think that will happen, considering the competition. I think this may have been a bad transfer for both Coleman and GU and there is sadness in that as it will waste a career as this will be the end for him. I absolutely hope I'm wrong and it works out great, its always nice to see everyone succeed, but sadly life does not work that way.

I think expectations got the better of most of us and saying it will be a waste is way too absolute. I am sure someone on the staff watched every minute Coleman played at Providence and figured it was a good gamble. Transfers should know they have less time to assimilate and unless they make an immediate impact, they also should know the incumbents will get the benefit of the doubt.

The thing I was disappointed in was Coleman's lack of patience after his first 2 games. IMO, it ruined Fews confidence. Against Bryant and Colorado St he was awesome and looked like he might be as advertised. But the next 4-5 games he continually chose to force it to the hoop without really any decent ball movement and finding the best shot amongst the rest of the team. He got pulled and I think it hurt his confidence with Few. But it was the Dayton loss where I really thought Few should have played Coleman more instead of Stockton and Barham, who went 0-9.

Of course this is hindsight but I think we beat Dayton if Coleman plays for 5-10 more minutes, we go on to face Baylor instead of Chaminade, and our season is entirely different. Dayton was the start of the Coleman/Stockton debate.

MDABE80
04-02-2014, 09:39 PM
Nobody like him on this team. I just hope he settles down next year, improves his variety of shots and plays harder defense. He played good defense but he needs to make it his calling card. Great speed and quickness as well. I still have hopes fo rhim.

Ekrub
04-02-2014, 09:42 PM
Nobody like him on this team. I just hope he settles down next year, improves his variety of shots and plays harder defense. He played good defense but he needs to make it his calling card. Great speed and quickness as well. I still have hopes fo rhim.

He seriously lacks a jump shot and it had the same effect on him that it had on meech.

MDABE80
04-02-2014, 10:03 PM
That's the point of my post. He MUST increase the variety of shots. Slashing alone won't be enough.

Ezag
04-02-2014, 11:19 PM
Before season we kept hearing, GC is the man, he is going to surprise people, etc etc...yeah I was surprised on why he didn't play more, score more etc....

ZagaZags
04-03-2014, 12:18 AM
If Gerard Coleman had a jumper he would be scary good.

jazzdelmar
04-03-2014, 05:09 AM
If Gerard Coleman had a jumper he would be scary good.

right, and if had a........(you know the rest)

truth of the matter is, if you created two players that absolutely would never fit into the zags system they would be coleman and nunez. hello, there has to be some reason "we have never had anyone with this kind of talent."

cjm720
04-03-2014, 07:40 AM
right, and if had a........(you know the rest)

truth of the matter is, if you created two players that absolutely would never fit into the zags system they would be coleman and nunez. hello, there has to be some reason "we have never had anyone with this kind of talent."

this is the challenge Coach has...how to take the next leap in recruiting. he's looking for the high iq guy with athleticism. Hard to find and fit in this system...

jazzdelmar
04-03-2014, 07:42 AM
this is the challenge Coach has...how to take the next leap in recruiting. he's looking for the high iq guy with athleticism. Hard to find and fit in this system...

Well Coach has to keep looking. These two don't fit that bill.

cjm720
04-03-2014, 07:56 AM
Well Coach has to keep looking. These two don't fit that bill.

imo Meech was the first that he went after, that on paper, was that next leap.

It's a challenge, no doubt.

jazzdelmar
04-03-2014, 08:01 AM
imo Meech was the first that he went after, that on paper, was that next leap.

It's a challenge, no doubt.

Not exactly an endorsement of Coach's acumen when it comes to fetching high IQ athletes, is it?

Zagdawg
04-03-2014, 08:51 AM
Lets not turn this into a bash Few thread -- we already know how you feel about Few.

SWZag
04-03-2014, 09:16 AM
I think expectations got the better of most of us....

It's easy to put someone on a pedestal before they've had a chance to prove themselves. The only way is down when one gets propped up so high. It's good to have high expectations, but not when there is no reality. Reality is often forgotten. A lot players in recent years had such high expectations, placed on them by this board, talking heads, etc, that when they came in and had a average or good year, they were a disappointment to many.

With Coleman, people looked at his numbers in the Big East and expected the world. Didn't happen. I don't find that he necessarily had a bad year, but when expectations were so high, of course people want to say he's not very good and point at his weaknesses. Had he come in with little or no expectations, people would be praising him for his strengths.

cjm720
04-03-2014, 09:43 AM
Not exactly an endorsement of Coach's acumen when it comes to fetching high IQ athletes, is it?

Partially my point but IMO it has little to do with coaching ability and more to do with recruiting and the evolving nature of the program.

seacatfan
04-03-2014, 09:52 AM
I think it was more than just people looking at his stats from Providence. I'm fairly sure 2 years in a row some posters declared him the best player on the court after watching the beginning of the year scrimmage. That wasn't just speculation based on nothing. I've said this in another thread, lots of players aren't good shooters. If it was easy to just become a good shooter, then wouldn't every player do it? I think it's oversimplification to state that he just needs to work on his shot and become a good jump shooter. If it's so easy then why was David Stockton still a poor jump shooter after 5 years at GU?

jazzdelmar
04-03-2014, 10:06 AM
Partially my point but IMO it has little to do with coaching ability and more to do with recruiting and the evolving nature of the program.

Of course. Fetching=Recruiting.

jazzdelmar
04-03-2014, 10:08 AM
I think it was more than just people looking at his stats from Providence. I'm fairly sure 2 years in a row some posters declared him the best player on the court after watching the beginning of the year scrimmage. That wasn't just speculation based on nothing. I've said this in another thread, lots of players aren't good shooters. If it was easy to just become a good shooter, then wouldn't every player do it? I think it's oversimplification to state that he just needs to work on his shot and become a good jump shooter. If it's so easy then why was David Stockton still a poor jump shooter after 5 years at GU?

Partly because he was still 5-10 and not terribly athletic.

seacatfan
04-03-2014, 10:11 AM
Partly because he was still 5-10 and not terribly athletic.

What do height and athleticism have to do with shooting ability? If anything short dudes who aren't very athletic SHOULD be good shooters because what else are they going to be able to do on a bball court?

jazzdelmar
04-03-2014, 10:38 AM
What do height and athleticism have to do with shooting ability? If anything short dudes who aren't very athletic SHOULD be good shooters because what else are they going to be able to do on a bball court?

Are you kidding? Getting a quality shot is more than half the battle and height and athleticism are key attributes in that. Pangos' bad toe hampered his ability to shake loose for a shot. The days of the two hand, flat footed set shot are over. But I see your point, what else can they do? In DS' case feed the post, take risks in the passing lanes and attempt to collect charging fouls.

cbbfanatic
04-03-2014, 11:09 AM
If it was easy to just become a good shooter, then wouldn't every player do it? I think it's oversimplification to state that he just needs to work on his shot and become a good jump shooter. If it's so easy then why was David Stockton still a poor jump shooter after 5 years at GU?

same thing with all the "hit the gym, add 15lbs of muscle, become a better athlete" line i hear so often. first, adding 15 lbs of muscle over the course of several months (from training) is an incredibly monumental feat that most kid's bodies could never support. also, these guys dont often change their athleticism in big ways once they get to college, unless theyre the kind of kid that needs to drop 50#. for the most part (of course there are exceptions), we all know what kind of athlete they are by the end of their frosh year. to EXPECT these kinds of physical leaps is an exercise in futility

seacatfan
04-03-2014, 11:23 AM
Are you kidding? Getting a quality shot is more than half the battle and height and athleticism are key attributes in that. Pangos' bad toe hampered his ability to shake loose for a shot. The days of the two hand, flat footed set shot are over. But I see your point, what else can they do? In DS' case feed the post, take risks in the passing lanes and attempt to collect charging fouls.

Point taken, but being crafty and having a quick trigger can help in getting a shot off. However in Stockton's case most of his career opponents were sagging WAY off of him and daring him to shoot, so having room to be able to shoot is really a moot point in his case.

ZagaZags
04-08-2014, 09:17 PM
I like Coleman a lot but it appears he is going backwards.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/51554/gerard-coleman

cjm720
04-09-2014, 05:31 AM
Has or is Coleman close to earning his undergrad degree?

BMAN
04-09-2014, 07:20 AM
I would be very surprised if he is here next year. They say he is exploring his options.

vandalzag
04-09-2014, 08:29 AM
He came here to improve his game and be part of a winning program. He had a year to add a jump shot and change his game. He did not change his game one bit from his last year at Providence. Coaches told him what he needed to do to improve and see time on the floor and it did not happen. He was too limited offensively to earn minutes, turnover prone, and suspect on defense. He had the ability to get to the rim, but only at the expense of the other 4 players on the floor. As far as DS goes, he brought other things to the table (like leading the team in assists and steals) that Coleman did not. That is why he played. Both were poor shooters, but at least DS would occasionally shoot the open jumper requiring teams to at least look at him standing out there with the ball. A missed jumper at least has the chance to rebounded, a 1 vs 2 or 3 missed layup attempt generally turns into a fast break the other way.
Bottom line is that GC is not the transcendent talent that would have required Few to change his approach and center his team around him(which Few has done for players like Ammo and Dickau).

jazzdelmar
04-09-2014, 08:39 AM
He came here to improve his game and be part of a winning program. He had a year to add a jump shot and change his game. He did not change his game one bit from his last year at Providence. Coaches told him what he needed to do to improve and see time on the floor and it did not happen. He was too limited offensively to earn minutes, turnover prone, and suspect on defense. He had the ability to get to the rim, but only at the expense of the other 4 players on the floor. As far as DS goes, he brought other things to the table (like leading the team in assists and steals) that Coleman did not. That is why he played. Both were poor shooters, but at least DS would occasionally shoot the open jumper requiring teams to at least look at him standing out there with the ball. A missed jumper at least has the chance to rebounded, a 1 vs 2 or 3 missed layup attempt generally turns into a fast break the other way.
Bottom line is that GC is not the transcendent talent that would have required Few to change his approach and center his team around him(which Few has done for players like Ammo and Dickau).

Sad, but true. He'd be happier at a run and gun D1 or even D2. There are plenty that would give him a shot.

cbbfanatic
04-09-2014, 09:15 AM

so why bring him in in the first place - if he has so much game-changing work to do to fit into the system? i get it that you want to take a flyer from time to time, but it seems like many of these guys that transfer out had little to no chance to succeed at GU in the first place... so why bring so many in?

too much churn going on. some is understandable and to be expected these days, but there is too much at GU right now. not enough continuity out of the role player types

cjm720
04-09-2014, 09:20 AM
so why bring him in in the first place - if he has so much game-changing work to do to fit into the system? i get it that you want to take a flyer from time to time, but it seems like many of these guys that transfer out had little to no chance to succeed at GU in the first place... so why bring so many in?

too much churn going on. some is understandable and to be expected these days, but there is too much at GU right now. not enough continuity out of the role player types

I'm fine with the turnover. It happens with every program.

Coach wondered the same thing as you. Heard him say in an interview that he didn't quite understand why Coleman would want to go from Providence and all the offensive freedom to a more restricted offensive system at Gonzaga.

IMO worst case, he is a great practice guy to scheme defensively. Best case, he'll help us win some games. He's just not a starter here like many, including me, thought.

cbbfanatic
04-09-2014, 09:27 AM
I'm fine with the turnover. It happens with every program.

Coach wondered the same thing as you. Heard him say in an interview that he didn't quite understand why Coleman would want to go from Providence and all the offensive freedom to a more restricted offensive system at Gonzaga.

IMO worst case, he is a great practice guy to scheme defensively. Best case, he'll help us win some games. He's just not a starter here like many, including me, thought.

the "happens everywhere" argument is convenient and definitely true to an increasing degree, but the turnover at GU feels really high - higher than most. and in too many cases, seems entirely predictable from close to day 1.

at some point, that can tarnish a program. i wouldnt want to be known as a turnstyle type program, unless i was pumping kids into the pros. especially when the tight knit family/community/academic environment angle is a big selling point. how do you sell that when so many are coming and going all the time? it might be par for the course in college basketball, but i would think the GU program would strive to be on the low side of that type of activity, and on the high side for kids being around the program for the duration of their eligibility.

jazzdelmar
04-09-2014, 09:29 AM
the "happens everywhere" argument is convenient and definitely true to an increasing degree, but the turnover at GU feels really high - higher than most. and in too many cases, seems entirely predictable from close to day 1.

at some point, that can tarnish a program. i wouldnt want to be known as a turnstyle type program, unless i was pumping kids into the pros. especially when the tight knit family/community/academic environment angle is a big selling point. how do you sell that when so many are coming and going all the time? it might be par for the course in college basketball, but i would think the GU program would strive to be on the low side of that type of activity, and on the high side for kids being around the program for the duration of their eligibility.

I agree CBB. Thought it had slowed since the Bol Kong era though. In any case, you probably would not be a fan of SDSU where the bus depot approach is an art form. Scribes here even praise Fish for it.

cjm720
04-09-2014, 09:46 AM

Core contributors stay. Other than Spangler and Gibbs, I can't think of any others that would have flourished given what we had seen of them...

mgadfly
04-09-2014, 09:50 AM

I think you get to tell a family that for every PMAC, Gibbs, Meech, there is a Batista, Downs, Olynyk, Morrison, Will Foster etc... and the coaching staff is going to treat you like family and make sure they support you in doing what is right for you, even if it is leaving for another school if the fit isn't right. A LOT of our players, even the very good ones, weren't sure things when they arrived at GU. The issues Downs had... the lack of athleticism and defense of Morrison, the awkwardness of Olynyk, the height/length/lack of hops of Batista... They all ended up fitting into the system or came at the right time or whatever and it worked. But I've never seen our staff force a guy out or say something disparaging because a guy was considering other options or do anything at all negative (see e.g., Meech and Will Foster). I'm sure there are conversations with guys that goes something like this, "We think you could earn a spot here. But you'd have to earn it because we have guys at your position who are very good." And sometimes it is "Your are going to play here. We are going to put the ball in your hands. You have to earn it, but you are the type of guy we need." And sometimes there is the "We'd love to have you walkon."

Churn is natural, especially at the far end of the bench. Nothing wrong with using a couple scholarships to give someone with an upside a shot to prove something. Players understand that not everyone is going to earn minutes, and not everyone is going to want to stick around if they aren't getting minutes.

cbbfanatic
04-09-2014, 09:58 AM
Core contributors stay. Other than Spangler and Gibbs, I can't think of any others that would have flourished given what we had seen of them...

very true, but those other guys matter for continuity and program culture... and the whole small, intimate, supportive, family, get your degree atmosphere that i would think is a big selling point for GU.

i would think gonzaga would want to protect/craft that type of reputation. i would think it would be part of the core mission of the program. i would think they would strive to be better than the rest, instead of saying "well, it happens everywhere."

jazz mentioned he thinks its cooled a bit since the kong days, and now that i think about it, that seems accurate, so maybe the staff is being more judicious about who they bring on. i hope so, and i hope that continues.

ZagZombie
04-09-2014, 11:28 AM
Gerard is staying put at GU. No more transfer talk

vandalzag
04-09-2014, 12:28 PM

The brought him in because the kid can play but he needed to change his game to both improve and fit with the program. He did not see time this year because he had not changed. This would be the case at any school. While skilled he is not a franchise type talent that would require you to fit the program around him. He needed to adapt his game and was told so by the staff from day one. Meech is an example. The coaches wanted a quick athletic guard at the point that they could mold into a PG, but it did not work out so he took a different path. You take a shot on players that are outside the norm as a way to improve. I would say that their track record on transfers while not perfect, is really good.

GU turnover is no worse than other schools, in fact I would say that compared other top 20 programs they would be considered very stable. What other programs would give a Will Foster, David Stockton, Mike Hart, Kyle Bankhead, etc.. 4 or 5 years on roster and allow them to grow and earn time?. Kids leave for many reasons, but this staff running kids off is not one of them. Sam Dower stayed waited 4 years to start, KO waited 3. Other like KP play from day 1.
Which kids were predictable from day one that they would leave?

Mr Vulture
04-09-2014, 01:37 PM
I hope you are right and that he carves out a role. However, I think this is just your hope/opinion and not fact based from Gerard. Also, to whomever posted above that GC might be happier at Division II, get into reality, Coleman can play and start at the D1 level...goodness.

Gerard is staying put at GU. No more transfer talk

cjm720
04-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Since we're posting rumors. I saw some commenter on TSSF that says he's going to Northeastern. Claimed to know some people in the university and also cried for TSSF to get some sources....so an anonymous egomaniac is saying Northeastern.

exclusivelee
04-09-2014, 04:00 PM
Since we're posting rumors. I saw some commenter on TSSF that says he's going to Northeastern. Claimed to know some people in the university and also cried for TSSF to get some sources....so an anonymous egomaniac is saying Northeastern.

Well, Northeastern would not be the craziest transfer location for Coleman (IF THAT WERE TRUE). He is from Boston.

Zippyzaggy
04-09-2014, 04:18 PM
Zagaholic tweeted this a few hours ago "We just talked to Gerard Coleman. Relax people, he's not transferring. Put that rumor to bed."

DADoZAG
04-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Zagaholic tweeted this a few hours ago "We just talked to Gerard Coleman. Relax people, he's not transferring. Put that rumor to bed."

Cool.

Hope staff figures out what to with him in his third year. Bet they do, Nunez too.

Go ZAGS!

BobZag
04-09-2014, 06:11 PM
Necromongers.

DADoZAG
04-09-2014, 06:35 PM
Just excited about the possibilities.

Go ZAGS!

bigblahla
04-10-2014, 09:04 AM
If I had a request of Girard it would be that he carries a basketball with him during his waking hours...dribbling everywhere he goes with it being common knowledge on campus for anyone and everyone to steal his ball...that should tighten up his handles. He can work on his shooting in the gym.

Off topic- my request for Shem is to wear ankle and wrist weights except to bed increasing the weight in both right up to next season. Would make him stronger and quicker....and maybe some dance lessons while were at it for his footwork.

Go!! Zags!!!

primal23
04-10-2014, 09:05 AM

Sweet! Glad he's staying!

basketballzag
04-10-2014, 10:19 AM
Sweet! Glad he's staying!

Second smartest decision he has made in his life. 1st smartest decision was transferring to Gonzaga. I'm telling you that I honestly believe that Gerard Coleman will move his way up into the starting rotation next year and if he doesn't then he will be the #1 6th man in the entire country. He just needs to keep doing what he has been doing (maturing both on the court and off the court). I don't think he realizes just how big of a decision this is for him because it shows those people at the next level who are watching him that he has a tremendous amount of maturity and that he wants to focus on elevating his game in other areas. Very mature decision.

DixieZag
04-10-2014, 10:31 AM
I would have Gerard carry a basketball everywhere and never take a dribble, focus on either working on a shot or taking a pass, and two steps to the basket.

The breakdown your guy thing only works if the guy has to worry about you just shooting it over him.

Zag 77
04-10-2014, 11:05 AM
Reliable? His Facebook page has not been updated since November 20.

https://www.facebook.com/Zagaholic

His blog has not been updated since Nov. 26.

http://www.zagaholic.com/

That might not mean anything in and of itself, but otherwise don't know if he is any more reliable than the bartender at Jack & Dans when it comes to Zag news.

ZagaZags
04-12-2014, 06:00 PM
Reliable? His Facebook page has not been updated since November 20.

https://www.facebook.com/Zagaholic

His blog has not been updated since Nov. 26.

http://www.zagaholic.com/

That might not mean anything in and of itself, but otherwise don't know if he is any more reliable than the bartender at Jack & Dans when it comes to Zag news.

I do know for a fact they have interviewed players in the past. They go on campus and try to dig stories up. ( I say this in a positive way )
If they said Coleman told them me was staying, I would bet he did say that. Only question is, was he just giving the politically correct answer?

My guess is he will stay at GU and not transfer to Northeastern.

Zag 77
04-12-2014, 09:30 PM
If he is thinking or looking for a new spot it would behoove him to keep it quiet until he has a deal. That is true whether or not the staff is helping him find a spot to land. And, they have been known to help guys find a spot elsewhere. I think that is what happened with Keita and Manny. Plus, it may be less embarrassing for it to happen after school is out in May. He still has graduation weekend coming up and may not want to have something like that generally known.

ZagaZags
04-13-2014, 06:42 PM
Some poster on TSSF said he had a source that said Coleman was going to transfer to Northeastern. Looks like he was wrong.

BroncoZAG615
04-13-2014, 06:48 PM
Some poster on TSSF said he had a source that said Coleman was going to transfer to Northeastern. Looks like he was wrong.

Just to clarify, that rumor came from a random commenter and it happened to be his/her first comment on our site.

ZagaZags
04-13-2014, 07:13 PM
Just to clarify, that rumor came from a random commenter and it happened to be his/her first comment on our site.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. None of the writers at TSSF posted this. It was some random fan. Sorry for any confusion.

P.S. Peter has been a great addition to TSSF. :).