PDA

View Full Version : Roster Age

007Zag
03-28-2014, 05:16 AM
I was listening to Mike and Mike this morning, and one of their guests (I forget who) was commenting that it takes a veteran team like Dayton to match up against the young, raw talent of the blue bloods. It's a sentiment I've heard plenty of times before, but it got me thinking about our roster for next year, and what a veteran line up we will have. Below are our starting five followed by the bench guys in no particular order, but limited to those I expect to get substantial minutes:

Pangos (senior)
GBJ (senior)
KD (RS junior)
Wiltjer (RS junior)
PK (junior)

Coleman (RS senior)
Nunez (RS junior)
Perkins (freshman)
Melson (freshman)
Sabonis (freshman)

I'm sort of expecting that Alberts, Meikle, and Edwards will RS.

That looks like a real veteran group (everyone except PK will be the age of a senior) with a few high energy freshman who will be ready to contribute from day 1. I know I sound like a Cubs' fan, but I've been saying for a while now that I expect next year to be quite special. What are your guys' thoughts? Besides our talent, do you expect our experience to be a large advantage next year?

TexasZagFan
03-28-2014, 05:37 AM
I was listening to Mike and Mike this morning, and one of their guests (I forget who) was commenting that it takes a veteran team like Dayton to match up against the young, raw talent of the blue bloods. It's a sentiment I've heard plenty of times before, but it got me thinking about our roster for next year, and what a veteran line up we will have. Below are our starting five followed by the bench guys in no particular order, but limited to those I expect to get substantial minutes:

Pangos (senior)
GBJ (senior)
KD (RS junior)
Wiltjer (RS junior)
PK (junior)

Coleman (RS senior)
Nunez (RS junior)
Perkins (freshman)
Melson (freshman)
Sabonis (freshman)

I'm sort of expecting that Alberts, Meikle, and Edwards will RS.

That looks like a real veteran group (everyone except PK will be the age of a senior) with a few high energy freshman who will be ready to contribute from day 1. I know I sound like a Cubs' fan, but I've been saying for a while now that I expect next year to be quite special. What are your guys' thoughts? Besides our talent, do you expect our experience to be a large advantage next year?

I believe that's the predominant attitude for next year. Simply put, next year (with or without Sabonis) is "put up or shut up" for the Zag Nation. Expectations will be as lofty as we've ever known.

Oregonzagnut
03-28-2014, 06:34 AM
I think Few prefers a career Gonzaga 4-5 yr senior to a 1 and done inexperienced burger boy. If Few continues to build teams like he does, each year we have smarter teams with more chemistry than many other power schools do because they lose too many early. Not all McDonald A.M's are me-first kids, some actually are successful students and seek a degree. I think Few will look at that characteristic first, not physical athleticism.

Few gets the best combinations of student athlete and athleticism he can and next years team may be the most physically gifted and imposing starting five we have ever had.

CDC84
03-28-2014, 07:18 AM
I think Few prefers a career Gonzaga 4-5 yr senior to a 1 and done inexperienced burger boy.

Not in every case. If Jabari Parker had called up Gonzaga two years ago and said, "I would like to be a Zag," he would've taken him faster than a speeding bullet. Same goes for Julius Randle. Same goes for Aaron Gordon, who he couldn't praise enough after last weekend's loss. Gordon right now is playing with the wisdom of a 5th year senior.

It depends on the player. I don't see Few as being the kind of guy who would recruit like Calipari does. If he had the recruiting clout of the blue bloods, he would probably go about things like Bill Self and Kansas where you mix program players (with possible NBA futures) with the occasional sure fire lottery pick.

Of course it's all a fantasy because Gonzaga is never likely to be a blue blood program. However, I have argued and will continue to argue that Gonzaga's glass ceiling with recruiting has not been reached yet. But in order to increase their recruiting clout, they are probably going to have to advance deeper in the NCAA tournament.

willandi
03-28-2014, 08:13 AM
Why doesn't GU, and the other Catholic schools, institute and develop a 'Mission' program , where young recruits could spend 2 years getting older, bigger and more developed, and then come back to play.
I know that the LDS have had a Mission program in place for many years. What I don't know is why the NCAA allows them to use it in the manner they do. They could require that either a) the mission be completed before the LOI is given (either written or orally, or it that player eats up a scholly) or b) after the 5 to play 4 time is up. A mission at 22 or 23 would be just as meaningful, it just wouldn't give an advantage to the LDS schools.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-28-2014, 09:23 AM
Why doesn't GU, and the other Catholic schools, institute and develop a 'Mission' program , where young recruits could spend 2 years getting older, bigger and more developed, and then come back to play.
I know that the LDS have had a Mission program in place for many years. What I don't know is why the NCAA allows them to use it in the manner they do. They could require that either a) the mission be completed before the LOI is given (either written or orally, or it that player eats up a scholly) or b) after the 5 to play 4 time is up. A mission at 22 or 23 would be just as meaningful, it just wouldn't give an advantage to the LDS schools.

I might be mistaken, but I hardly think missions allow recruits to get "bigger and more developed." My uneducated guess is that it's just the opposite: they don't get to play basketball, don't get to develop, and probably don't have all that much time to work out. Again, I have no idea, but it would seem like missions impede the development of players because they don't get to play basketball or train at a high level.

seacatfan
03-28-2014, 09:39 AM
I would guess a majority of basketball recruits are chasing the dream of getting to the NBA. Very few of them get there, but I can't see many of these kids putting it on hold for 2 years. Not that many players hang around for 4 years anymore, 6 seems like it's really pushing it. I know BYU utilizes this, but they are not the norm.

kitzbuel
03-28-2014, 10:17 AM
I think Few can get career Gonzaga 4-5 yr seniors more easily than 1 and done inexperienced burger boy.

FIFY

Mr Vulture
03-28-2014, 11:07 AM
Has Parker declared for the draft? I heard he was very seriously considering staying another year at Duke. I think he really needs to go pro because I think he is the #1 pick this year although Wiggins will enamor the scouts with his "upside" that the NBA loves.