PDA

View Full Version : - - -Most Improved Player- - - (2013-2014)

SWZag
03-27-2014, 11:53 AM
Who is your vote for most improved player this season?

It's been talked about in other threads, but would like to see a chart that would includes those that normally don't write their opinions.

I think there was a lot of growth all the way around, more than I had anticipated. Development of players has been very evident in the last few seasons. This is a huge factor that can help in recruiting.

Who's your vote?

gonzagafan62
03-27-2014, 11:56 AM
If it was life or death, I would pick Mount Karnowski. His defense and free throw percentage increased so much this season. WCC officials really kept him in foul trouble, but that is usual. LOL!

But thinking about it more and more, I would have to say you gotta include David Stockton and Kyle Dranginis on the list too. Vastly improved.

maynard g krebs
Who is your vote for most improved player this season?

It's been talked about in other threads, but would like to see a chart that would includes those that normally don't write their opinions.

I think there was a lot of growth all the way around, more than I had anticipated. Development of players has been very evident in the last few seasons. This is a huge factor that can help in recruiting.

Who's your vote?

Tossup. Karno and Dower.

BTB
Karno. At this rate he will be darn near an All-American next year.

SWZag
03-27-2014, 12:04 PM
I like Shem also. I was scratching my head a little last year, but he definitely proved himself a big contributor this year. I really like Draino tho. He's going to be huge for us for the next couple years. We saw him a little last year, but this year he definitely showed he was a part of this team. Hearing in the off-season about how much he improved and how he impressed, showed itself. If he improves again this next year, he could take over games.

seacatfan
03-27-2014, 12:26 PM
I'm going Dower. I always thought he could have a season like this, he finally did. At least statistically I think it's big Sam by a landslide.

wnczagfan
03-27-2014, 02:39 PM
Went with Dower on this one. One of the reasons I was so nervous about this season was that I just didn't see him making up for the loss of Olynyk or Harris. Man, did he bring it this season. Amazing! He stepped up this season.

I also believe Przemek, David, and Kyle made a lot of improvements as well, but I think we saw improvements by Gerard and Angel as well. It takes time to learn the system and gel with the other players. These guys all embraced the team, and have all worked to improve themselves.

Love this team!

gonzagafan62
03-27-2014, 02:41 PM
One thing that stayed level all year long? LaPhonso Ellis, calling Gonzawga, and saying Prizimik Karnowski. Hahaha. I hate it when people mispronounce things, but when he had that smile, you just can't get mad at someone who doesn't know any better.

I take it all with a grain of salt now. It would almost be a bad thing if it happened any other way.

Go Bulldogs!

Oregonzagnut
03-27-2014, 03:15 PM
Improved stats can mean a linear improvement based on time, not skill improvement. I would think we would have to look at all the stats per 40 minutes and compare them with their previous year.

seacatfan
03-27-2014, 03:27 PM
One thing that stayed level all year long? LaPhonso Ellis, calling Gonzawga, and saying Prizimik Karnowski. Hahaha. I hate it when people mispronounce things, but when he had that smile, you just can't get mad at someone who doesn't know any better.

I take it all with a grain of salt now. It would almost be a bad thing if it happened any other way.

Go Bulldogs!

I'm a fan of Ellis. You can tell he enjoys his job. His enthusiasm is refreshing (but not overblown like Dickie V.).

seacatfan
03-27-2014, 03:30 PM
Dower displayed a high skill level from early in his career. He struggled with consistency and has been knocked for his rebounding prowess throughout his career. He competed hard on the boards this year, had a bunch of double-doubles, and nailed it on the consistency. Also much better defensively this year.

Baseline
03-27-2014, 03:42 PM
To me this is easy, Shem by a wide margin. Kyle made big improvement, but I think he was capable of plying that way a year earlier, it was a confidence thing. i guess its the bottom line that counts, so KD also had a good jum and I expect more from both next year.

zag69
03-27-2014, 03:52 PM
I like Shem, but Dower patiently put in his time at GU, and his improvement has been remarkable, especially in defense, rebounds and FT shooting.

Zagger
03-28-2014, 04:29 AM
I voted MtK for most improved - especially with some of his play against Arizona. I think Dower had it in him all the time - just got overshadowed last year. Love Sam's mid-range jumpers! Draino was fun to watch getting more aggressive - especially with drives to the basket - and making them. Stockton steadily improved his whole time with GU. From beginning to end David likely improved the most. That torch may pass to MtK. I really liked what I saw of Shem in the last couple of games. Betting Shem will have a breakout year next year then he's NBA bound. Betting also that his FT% next year is >75. Next year's going to be pretty interesting all around - good bunch of Zags continuing on. And we've yet to really see what Edwards can do. With both Gary and Kevin as Seniors ..... the rest of the WCC is going to have a very hard time beating the Zags!

CdAZagFan
03-28-2014, 07:38 AM
For me it was close between PK and KD… but had to go with PK. Offensively he became a lot more polished this year.

whatazag
03-28-2014, 07:50 AM
Close for me between stockton and karnowski, but went with the latter.

kitzbuel
03-28-2014, 11:36 AM
Close for me between stockton and karnowski, but went with the latter.

I did go with DS. He made himself an indispensable part of the team which was critically needed with KP's injuries.

RenoZag
03-28-2014, 01:39 PM
Went with Karnowski. Hat tip to Mr. Dower and Mr. Dranginis.