PDA

View Full Version : - - -GUnit of the Season- - - (2013-2014)

gozagswoohoo
03-26-2014, 02:04 PM
Tomorrow I'll try to dig up all of the GUnit of the Game polls and add them up. I'll be interested to see if it matches THIS poll.

Lots of things to consider with this vote!

zag944
03-26-2014, 02:10 PM
Dower pretty easily for me. Dominated WCC play this year and carried us into the tourney. While just about everyone else went hot and cold throughout the season (for whatever reason), he was pretty darn good the whole way. Also, hard not to vote for a senior, right?

MTZag03
03-26-2014, 02:10 PM
Had to go with Stocks for the ice in his veins. I really changed my opinion of him from last season to this year.

77Zag
03-26-2014, 02:44 PM
Sam was the man this year. All league, MVP of WCC tournament and coming back from his back issue.

jim77
03-26-2014, 02:54 PM
Sam the man...the big guy lead the charge with Stocks a close 2nd. The Zags averaged 31 wins the last 2 seasons...pretty impressive. Haven't Sam and David won more games in their career than anybody else? For David to go from walk-on to starting PG is also pretty impressive....kinda a Stockton kind of thing...GREAT careers for BOTH.

cjm720
03-26-2014, 02:55 PM
Had to go with Pangos for battling through injuries all season then stepping up at the end. Dower a close second.

WBM
03-26-2014, 03:35 PM
I went with Sam Dower. He performed well the whole season.
Stockton battled to play better than ever and succeeded.
Pangos showed true grit to play as much and as hard as he did without his legs being right.

Really, though, I think the G-Unit of the Season should go to whoever was in the locker room convincing the team they could compete when all guys like me could focus on was how we lost Elias, Kelly, and Hart.

Oregonzagnut
03-26-2014, 03:57 PM
I have not voted yet. I want to wait and see the facts and stats before I use emotion. So far it looks like Stockton, Dower, Karno and Pangos get all the votes.

I guess I would like to know how many games would we have lost without the player? Could Dower have controlled the paint like Karno? Did Karno's dominance down low help the team out the most overall? that is where I lean. We ran a 3 guard lineup and it was good but Karno was truly dominant, and he hasn't even peaked yet.

So in preliminary opinion is to vote for Karno, but Dower was my first instinct.

wnczagfan
03-26-2014, 04:16 PM
I have not voted yet. I want to wait and see the facts and stats before I use emotion. So far it looks like Stockton, Dower, Karno and Pangos get all the votes.

I guess I would like to know how many games would we have lost without the player? Could Dower have controlled the paint like Karno? Did Karno's dominance down low help the team out the most overall? that is where I lean. We ran a 3 guard lineup and it was good but Karno was truly dominant, and he hasn't even peaked yet.

So in preliminary opinion is to vote for Karno, but Dower was my first instinct.

And how much of the big men's performance was due to the guards' feeding the post so well this season? Lots of good questions to ask and answer. I am pleased that we have so many players who played so well this season that there are so many votes for multiple players.

Huge shoutouts as well to Kyle Dranginis who has really made a significant impact this season, and Drew Barham who was a sharpshooter for us in so many games as well, and Gary who's defense has been lockdown.

This TEAM really pleased me!

maynard g krebs
03-26-2014, 04:33 PM
Sam deserves it for waiting his turn and upping his game in his last year, especially in his much-discussed areas of weakness.
Would have been KP if he'd been healthy. Honorable mention for gutting it out. Second hon mention to Karno for his improvement on defense.

gozagswoohoo
03-26-2014, 05:29 PM
Before the season started, if you woulda told me we would be voting on Pangos being either 3rd or 4th for our team MVP, I woulda laughed in your face and called you Susan. I think he is gonna bounce back next season in a huge way.

Also, we have all pretty much seemed to agree that since Pangos was injured 90% of the season, this was quite the mediocre year for him (with some definite flashes of brilliance sprinkled in for sure). But I'm curious....how did his numbers compare to last year (and his freshman season). I'll be anxious to look that up tomorrow morn.

Baseline
03-26-2014, 05:35 PM
Easy Call - Shem

Shem was the anchor on defense and allowed the defense to extend out.
Shem was a force in the paint and gave teams real problems dealing with him.

sittingon50
03-26-2014, 11:28 PM
Before the season started, if you woulda told me we would be voting on Pangos being either 3rd or 4th for our team MVP, I woulda laughed in your face and called you Susan. I think he is gonna bounce back next season in a huge way.

Also, we have all pretty much seemed to agree that since Pangos was injured 90% of the season, this was quite the mediocre year for him (with some definite flashes of brilliance sprinkled in for sure). But I'm curious....how did his numbers compare to last year (and his freshman season). I'll be anxious to look that up tomorrow morn.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/56798/kevin-pangos

Oregonzagnut
03-27-2014, 12:36 AM
And how much of the big men's performance was due to the guards' feeding the post so well this season? Lots of good questions to ask and answer. I am pleased that we have so many players who played so well this season that there are so many votes for multiple players.

Huge shoutouts as well to Kyle Dranginis who has really made a significant impact this season, and Drew Barham who was a sharpshooter for us in so many games as well, and Gary who's defense has been lockdown.

This TEAM really pleased me!

Yes, I agree that there is a "who makes who" argument, but lean towards the consistency of our frontcourt. Pangos has had a number of inconsistent games scoring, especially at the perimeter, and was a factor in a couple of our losses. Not to mention against Arizona where our backcourt had 13 of those turnovers. Stockton and Pangos combined for 10 of them. And Karno actually did fairly well against their 7 fter and went 6-10, double double, and only 3 fouls the whole game. Karno held his end of the game against Arizona when no one else really could.

I think I still lean towards the consistency, stability and defense in the paint that Karno and Dower provided throughout the entire year, they were the reason we had the best defensive efficiency I ever remember, and that was because Karno allowed fewer easy points in the paint.

gu03alum
03-27-2014, 03:06 AM
I went with coach since the team exceeded expectations without anyone starring this season in my opinion. I think Kevin would have won it the way he started the season, but injuries really hurt his production.

Birddog
03-27-2014, 03:59 AM
Went with Dower, he was always either the 1st or 2nd vote getter each game IMO.

gozagswoohoo
03-27-2014, 06:10 AM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/56798/kevin-pangos

Interesting...he improved in every statistical category (fairly significantly in a few of them too) except for 3pt % (BARELY lower) and steals. I would have guess he regressed in most areas as compared to last season. Shows how much I know!

If he can stay healthy next season, LOOK OUT.

LongIslandZagFan
03-27-2014, 06:16 AM
Interesting...he improved in every statistical category (fairly significantly in a few of them too) except for 3pt % (BARELY lower) and steals. I would have guess he regressed in most areas as compared to last season. Shows how much I know!

What is truly scary is, think about how good he would have been had he not been injured for basically the entire season.

CdAZagFan
03-27-2014, 06:51 AM
Had to go with Dower - he was a beast out there for most of the season, in both points and rebounding.

gonzagafan62
03-27-2014, 06:58 AM
I went with Pangos. Leader of the team, closed out most games at the chrity stripe. Just a tough gritty player. That's what GU is about. Glad to have him one more year.

Pangos is going to be a monster next season

hooter73
03-27-2014, 08:12 AM
I had to go with Pangos the ultimate leader which is imo what the GUnit is all about.

Stocks and Dower had senior seasons, which means they were great, instrumental, but even in their big games it never felt like they really controlled the game, or at least not consistently enough and for 40 minutes which is fodder for my vote not going to pure numbers but to who showed us the most grit, character, backbone, leadership... Pangos.

hooter73
03-27-2014, 08:14 AM
Had to go with Dower - he was a beast out there for most of the season, in both points and rebounding.

I keep getting hung up on the fact that he only had like 5 career double doubles before this season and only added a couple more this year. Just hard to call it a beastly performance, but then when you look at the stats he did double in, it was gaudy stuff like 14 or 17 rebounds.

maynard g krebs
03-27-2014, 10:38 AM

Thing about season stats is that the first 7-8 games when healthy, his #s were AA caliber. If somebody tallied the numbers for the games after he was initially hurt, I'd bet it would be a different story. Season numbers get a big lift from those early games.

gonzagafan62
03-27-2014, 10:48 AM
Thing about season stats is that the first 7-8 games when healthy, his #s were AA caliber. If somebody tallied the numbers for the games after he was initially hurt, I'd bet it would be a different story. Season numbers get a big lift from those early games.

While true, they wouldn't hold up over an entire season. Kevin Pangos scored in double digits 27 times. TWENTY SEVEN. Scored over 25+ just three times because of injury. The fact that he had over 10 points 27 times is just a remarkable number. That's why his stats increased.

ZagaZags
04-08-2014, 09:22 PM
I had to pick Dower.