PDA

View Full Version : My OPTIMISTIC predictions/projections for next year

seacatfan
03-25-2014, 05:19 PM
#1 By far and away the most important in my mind, Pangos gets healthy and stays healthy. He has a huge Sr. season, revives comparisons to Dickau, cements his place as one of the all time great guards at GU. I think he was well on his way this year before the damn turf toe sabotaged his season. He's a guy that could average around 18-20 ppg, but probably won't on this team due to balanced scoring.

#2 Bell stays healthy (seems like he's been a bit snake bit w/ injuries during his career) and is at least somewhat more consistent about being aggressive on offense. He won't be the leading scorer, might not even be second or third, but he's certainly capable of chipping in 13-14 ppg, not that far from what he's done already. Continues to play great D and combines with Pangos to be an excellent backcourt.

#3 Karnowski improved significantly from Fr. to Soph, continues to develop and improve. Commands a double team. Gets FT% up to a workable 60-65%. Owns the boards and averages close to a double double.

#4 Wiltjer more of less replaces Dower's production. I'm going conservative here. I think some are expecting Olynk version 2.0. Just not a fair expectation, what Olynk did was truly remarkable. True 7 footer who grew up playing guard, went from being a finesse player to developing a nasty streak and being a banger, without losing any of his skill set and could score from inside, outside and medium range. A 6-9 stretch 4 is a nice asset to have, creates matchup problems, and Wiltjer should be more talented than all than a handful of players he'll be seeing in the WCC. He should be a very nice player for GU, but expecting another Kelly O. probably isn't going to happen.

#5 Dranginis continues to be a jack of all trades but becomes more of a scoring threat. Doesn't have to be double figures, but maybe in the 8-9 ppg range. Don't know if he'll start or not but will get big minutes either way.

#6 Nunez and/or Coleman figure out how to fit into Few's system and become a regular part of the rotation and a key contributor. This one is a big if, but would be great if it happens.

#7 One or more of the freshmen is a big contributor from the get go. Certainly have been a number of Zags freshman that have made a big splash early.

Not sure what to expect, if anything, from Edwards and Meikle, or if Sabonis will be here for sure or not. I'm not going to predict wins and losses since there isn't a finalized schedule, but I'll go ahead and say they win the WCC and let's say avoid a bad draw in the Tourney and finally get back to the Sweet 16.

WallaWallaZag
03-25-2014, 09:02 PM
#6 Nunez and/or Coleman figure out how to fit into Few's system and become a regular part of the rotation and a key contributor. This one is a big if, but would be great if it happens.

i've got higher hopes for nunez as i don't see coleman changing his game...the zag system to be truly great really requires guys who can knock down perimeter shots and coleman just hasn't shown any flashes of that. defenses play off of him even more than they did to stockton. i actually think coleman knows the system better than nunez and understands what few wants better but just doesn't fit the style of play.

nunez also should have more time left than coleman, so he has time to adjust. on the other hand, i disagree with few's development of nunez...zags want nunez to become a 4 when imo they should be developing him to be a matchup nightmare 3. to me, the similar austin daye dilemma was 50/50 as daye at least had a post game...nunez for me is a no brainer 3 versus 4 as he has zero post game and at this point there's no really no point in trying to change him.

seacatfan
03-25-2014, 09:53 PM
i've got higher hopes for nunez as i don't see coleman changing his game...the zag system to be truly great really requires guys who can knock down perimeter shots and coleman just hasn't shown any flashes of that. defenses play off of him even more than they did to stockton. i actually think coleman knows the system better than nunez and understands what few wants better but just doesn't fit the style of play.

nunez also should have more time left than coleman, so he has time to adjust. on the other hand, i disagree with few's development of nunez...zags want nunez to become a 4 when imo they should be developing him to be a matchup nightmare 3. to me, the similar austin daye dilemma was 50/50 as daye at least had a post game...nunez for me is a no brainer 3 versus 4 as he has zero post game and at this point there's no really no point in trying to change him.

Interesting comparison with Daye. Obviously there are the big bodies available now so Nunez doesn't need to be deployed at the 4, unlike when Daye played for the Zags.

tyra
03-25-2014, 10:08 PM
Next year we have the horses to go deep in the Dance. It doesn't depend on Sabonis signing but it would really help. I'd keep Edwards active (not red shirt) and play him (he is already providing good back up minutes) since Karno could be gone the following year. I expect one of the three frosh guards (probably Melson or Perkins) to get good minutes and make real contributions. That scenario makes it tough for Coleman or Nunez to get any real PT. I think next year's team is in fact better than this year's, barring injury.

WallaWallaZag
03-25-2014, 11:09 PM
Next year we have the horses to go deep in the Dance. It doesn't depend on Sabonis signing but it would really help. I'd keep Edwards active (not red shirt) and play him (he is already providing good back up minutes) since Karno could be gone the following year. I expect one of the three frosh guards (probably Melson or Perkins) to get good minutes and make real contributions. That scenario makes it tough for Coleman or Nunez to get any real PT. I think next year's team is in fact better than this year's, barring injury.

if sabonis doesn't show, nunez at the very least will get his minutes backing up wiltjer (and maybe even playing alongside in a small lineup)...he'll have the minutes he got this year plus the minutes that barham got at the 4 and if i had my way some minutes at the 3 backing up presumably dranginis.

seacatfan
03-26-2014, 12:19 PM
I forgot I was going to suggest maybe Pangos should go floppy hair next year to channel the ghost of great GU players from the past and get that mojo going. Not sure if the 'do would suit him but you never know.

TacomaZAG
03-26-2014, 12:46 PM
#1 By far and away the most important in my mind, Pangos gets healthy and stays healthy. He has a huge Sr. season, revives comparisons to Dickau, cements his place as one of the all time great guards at GU. I think he was well on his way this year before the damn turf toe sabotaged his season. He's a guy that could average around 18-20 ppg, but probably won't on this team due to balanced scoring.

#2 Bell stays healthy (seems like he's been a bit snake bit w/ injuries during his career) and is at least somewhat more consistent about being aggressive on offense. He won't be the leading scorer, might not even be second or third, but he's certainly capable of chipping in 13-14 ppg, not that far from what he's done already. Continues to play great D and combines with Pangos to be an excellent backcourt.

I agree with these comments, but with the caveat that KP must play the point and GBJ the 2. If those guys get moved to the 2 and 3, respectively, it will be just like this year. KP is a born point guard and GBJ is a combo guard. KP is no 2 and GBJ is not a serviceable 3 at 6'-0" against good competition. Put Draino at the 3, backed up by Coleman and there's your backcourt. Maybe Draino takes over wing defensive duties from GBJ so Gary can concentrate more on scoring.

I'm really excited about next year and all the possibilities.

Go ZAGS

seacatfan
03-26-2014, 12:50 PM
I agree with these comments, but with the caveat that KP must play the point and GBJ the 2. If those guys get moved to the 2 and 3, respectively, it will be just like this year. KP is a born point guard and GBJ is a combo guard. KP is no 2 and GBJ is not a serviceable 3 at 6'-0" against good competition. Put Draino at the 3, backed up by Coleman and there's your backcourt. Maybe Draino takes over wing defensive duties from GBJ so Gary can concentrate more on scoring.

I'm really excited about next year and all the possibilities.

Go ZAGS

Totally agree, I didn't state it but that was definitely what I was envisioning, Pangos as the PG and Bell as the 2.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-26-2014, 01:02 PM
I forgot I was going to suggest maybe Pangos should go floppy hair next year to channel the ghost of great GU players from the past and get that mojo going. Not sure if the 'do would suit him but you never know.

He always plays better with the goatee. He should make it permanent...that'll be his version of "GU hair" :D

gonzagafan62
03-26-2014, 01:05 PM
Totally agree, I didn't state it but that was definitely what I was envisioning, Pangos as the PG and Bell as the 2.

My lineup for next year would be:

PG: Pangos
SG: Bell
SF: Dranginis
PF: Wiltjer
C: Karnowski

Now if we got Sabonis, I would move him to the PF, and Wiltjer to the SF, that would give us great size, and Wiltjer could then take his shots at the basket from wherever on the court he wants. That would move Draino back to the bench. I would have Nunez then back on the PF line and back up Sabonis if we got Sabonis. I would redshirt Edwards. Give him another year to condition better and get tougher. Coleman would back up Bell, and Perkins would back up Pangos. Also redshirt Meikle.

So if you are confused by what I mean, and if you think I rambled too much here is my chart:

With Sabonis:

PG: Pangos: Perkins, Melson?
SG: Bell, Coleman-Alberts (whichever looks better in practice, seriously)
SF: Wiltjer - Draino
PF: Sabonis - Nunez
C: Karnowski - Rotation switch

I am not exactly sure where I would put Melson and Alberts in all of this chaos since I have not seen them play yet. But I tell you, this is a good problem to have.

Redshirt:

Ryan Edwards
Luke Meikle

seacatfan
03-26-2014, 01:06 PM
He always plays better with the goatee. He should make it permanent...that'll be his version of "GU hair" :D

I like it. Next year instead of The 'Stache it will be The Goatee.

TacomaZAG
03-26-2014, 01:09 PM
I really like Wiltjer getting some minutes at the 3, given the right circumstances. Talk about matchup problems...........

Kind of like KO getting minutes at the 4 this year, had he stayed.

Getting Sabonis would be huge, pun intended.........

Go ZAGS

gonzagafan62
03-26-2014, 01:12 PM
You know Rem Backamus is coming off a redshirt this year. People are forgetting this......

seacatfan
03-26-2014, 01:16 PM
You know Rem Backamus is coming off a redshirt this year. People are forgetting this......

None of the walk ons got much court time this year (I'm clearly not including Stockton as a former walk on that became a scholarship player). No fan favorite, human victory cigar type of player for the crowd to go nuts over when he enters a game. I bet Backamus will be that next year.

seacatfan
03-26-2014, 01:17 PM
This is admittedly an uninformed opinion, but I kinda think only one of Melson and Alberts will get significant playing time next year. Maybe the odd man out can RS. Should be PLENTY of depth next year.

gonzagafan62
03-26-2014, 01:21 PM
None of the walk ons got much court time this year (I'm clearly not including Stockton as a former walk on that became a scholarship player). No fan favorite, human victory cigar type of player for the crowd to go nuts over when he enters a game. I bet Backamus will be that next year.

Joke my friend, Joke.

And maybe you are right about Melson and Alberts. Their time will come in 2 seasons.