• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • demian
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Feb 2007

Gottlieb had very nice things to say About GU and Spokane fans

I am listening to Doug gotlieb radio show right now and he opened his show with incredibly nice comments about Spokane people and gonzaga fans. He said he loved his time calling games last weekend in Spokane and loved the Spokane people and gonzaga fans. He said that the Spokane people were so nice to him after GU kicked his alma mater a** all game long. He said gonzaga fans couldn't have been more classy In victory towards him. He said Kentucky fans are totally classless in victory but gonzaga fans and the people of Spokane are classy fans and people. He was very complimentary of zags schooling his Oklahoma state team. He basically said it was a clinic, he criticized his cowboy team for showing no composure dealing with Reffs etc etc. he was very Impressed with GU in all aspects. This was in the opening minute of his show after we lost in Tourney. I hope this clears up the misperception that he is a gonzaga "hater". He gave us a glowing report on a national show the day after a blowout loss. I personally have always liked gotlieb he is paid to give opinions and sometimes they are harsh but usually are correct in my opinion just like the opinion he just shared on radio was correct
  • WBM
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Oct 2013

That is very nice of him. He has never been my favorite analyst, but I do tune into his show from time to time on my lunch break.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
      • Mar 2008

speaks volumes to our community.......

I do not subscribe to the theory he dislikes or hates the Zags as a single entity

I do subscribe to the theory and belief that he has a disdain towards mid major colleges in general and believes the BCS middle/lower rung schools to be far superior than top mid major programs
      The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• ZAGLAWQB
        Kennel Club Material
        • Oct 2009

My corporate intuition, and being quite confident having been a "suit" close to these scenarios, is that someone of stature gently gave Mr. G something to think about by inquiring how these "anti" discussions evolved and how important positions like his have up-front expectations greater than post eloquence...
        Last edited by ZAGLAWQB; 03-24-2014, 12:42 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• CdAZagFan
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2013

I was one of those that did use the term "hater" in a previous post. Hate was probably too strong a word, but as is mentioned above "Disdain for mid majors" is probably a better use of words. Last season he did not have many good things to say about GU, especially as we got closer to the tournament and into the tournament. I'm pleasantly surprised he had such good things to say about GU, especially after that OK State game. Good for him...

Comment

• Zag4Hire
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2007

Some people take longer than others to discover certain things in the universe. Can't say I am surprised Gottlieb is one of them and certainly am not surprised at his experience.
            IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE

Comment

• GoZags
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

I've gotten to know Doug a little bit (Coaches v Cancer golf). I've never picked up on any "hate" for Gonzaga. More like respect for Fewie and the program. At least that's my 2 cents.
              sigpic
              “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
              ——-
              List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
              Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• cjm720
                Zag for Life
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Hoopaholic View Post
                speaks volumes to our community.......

I do not subscribe to the theory he dislikes or hates the Zags as a single entity

I do subscribe to the theory and belief that he has a disdain towards mid major colleges in general and believes the BCS middle/lower rung schools to be far superior than top mid major programs
                yep +1
                Go Zags!!!

Comment

• 75Zag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Mar 2007

This praise and $5.00 will buy you a Caramel Macchiato at Starbucks.

Based on the 1000 +/- posts on this blog during the past year or two, lots of people here seem to crave attention from bloggers, television talking heads, radio personalities, newspapers, etc.

GU is a very good program and as they say, "results speak for themselves". Why the endless sucking up to bloggers and media people?

P.S. Send a few dollars my way and I can get GU a very favorable article in the Ritzville Journal.

Who Cares!

Go Bulldogs!
                  Do not go gentle into that good night,
                  Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
                  Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

• Zagceo
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2013

Originally posted by demian View Post
                    I am listening to Doug gotlieb radio show right now and he opened his show with incredibly nice comments about Spokane people and gonzaga fans. He said he loved his time calling games last weekend in Spokane and loved the Spokane people and gonzaga fans. He said that the Spokane people were so nice to him after GU kicked his alma mater a** all game long. He said gonzaga fans couldn't have been more classy In victory towards him. He said Kentucky fans are totally classless in victory but gonzaga fans and the people of Spokane are classy fans and people. He was very complimentary of zags schooling his Oklahoma state team. He basically said it was a clinic, he criticized his cowboy team for showing no composure dealing with Reffs etc etc. he was very Impressed with GU in all aspects. This was in the opening minute of his show after we lost in Tourney. I hope this clears up the misperception that he is a gonzaga "hater". He gave us a glowing report on a national show the day after a blowout loss. I personally have always liked gotlieb he is paid to give opinions and sometimes they are harsh but usually are correct in my opinion just like the opinion he just shared on radio was correct
                    Have you ever heard him trash another city after doing work for CBS in that city?

Comment

• wnczagfan
                      Kennel Club Alum
                      • Jan 2014

It occurs to me that he was probably just happy it was us who played Arizona, and not Oklahoma State who played Arizona!

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2011

Most seem to interpret his bias for the power schools as dislike for Gonzaga and all mid-majors. It is just he and others routinely mention we are over-rated or will lose our games early. We get defensive about it and blame him for saying what we have shown consistently to be in March. A top 32 team.

Pretty good if you ask me. Top 9%.
                        “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• demian
                          Professional Zag Fan
                          • Feb 2007

agree 100% Oregonzagnut

Originally posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
                          Most seem to interpret his bias for the power schools as dislike for Gonzaga and all mid-majors. It is just he and others routinely mention we are over-rated or will lose our games early. We get defensive about it and blame him for saying what we have shown consistently to be in March. A top 32 team.

Pretty good if you ask me. Top 9%.
                          agree 100% Oregonzagnut

Comment

• CodeCobalt
                            Kennel Club Material
                            • Mar 2009

He was spot on, gonzaga fans are loyal but not the type to rub someones face in it. University of Pacific has to have some of the worst fans though, at least in the WCC. Watching that game on ESPN I was just waiting for the fans to get their team a technical. I don't think I've ever heard so much cursing on regular cable.

I also think we have some of the most loyal fans. Watching both of the tourney games on TV all I could heard was gonzaga support from the crowd, even when we were down by too much.

And completely agree with the top 2 comments. I remember last year there was a fair bit of "get rid of Few" talk on here which was just stupid. I haven't looked it up but I'm guessing there are less than 5 coaches who routinely get their team to the tournament. Yesterday was only his 100th loss in 15 years. Look at how he's changed the program and got us great players. And instills a crazy amount of basketball IQ to players who arn't the most athletic and enables them to compete with the best.

Comment

• BoZarth
                              Kennel Club Material
                              • Feb 2007

I like Gottlieb.

I think some Zag fans don't like to hear or read opinions that aren't favorable of our team. If someone like Gottlieb says something they don't like, well, then they don't like him. Personally, I think he's rather knowledgeable. So what if his opinion isn't always favorable.

As for the Pacific fans, I agree with CodeCobalt when it comes to Pacific. The broadcast microphones sure picked up some colorful language that night.

Go Zags!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X