• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

A word about Arizona

Perhaps this post is meant more for Zona fans than Zag fans, I don't know. But we, Zag fans, have been through a lot of very difficult games and endured 100 losses in 500 games under Mark Few. I know I've just about seen it all. We were an 8 seed in Buffalo in 2010, beat a good Florida State team that finished 2nd in ACC that year, then were crushed by 1 seed Syracuse. We've been grinded down by Michigan State, outrun by Calipari's old Memphis teams, and other types of power teams. (We've won plenty too, but we'll stick with losses here.)

But last night vs Zona was an out-and-out assault. It was a full blitz. It was w/o mercy. Zona was strongest where we were weakest, and they exploited it every chance they got, which were numerous. In my opinion, that just might have been the best team Gonzaga has played since that UNC team in 2009.

Now, please lose all of your players to the NBA draft.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • Pallet
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

+1. Good post BZ.

Comment

• BobZag
      Dark Lord of the Zag
      • Jan 2007

Duke and Carolina will outscore you. Michigan State will grind you down. Kansas and Florida will ease away from you using little spurts. UConn will find a way. Syracuse will frustrate you with zone and shoot you down.

This Arizona team, at least vs GU last night, flatout blitzed us. We were the Denver Broncos and they were the Seahawks.
      The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• mainer6
        Kennel Club Material
        • Mar 2009

And the crazy thing is, as good as they are, they probably won't even win the tournament.
        Some people have a way with words. Some people not have way.

Comment

• WBM
          Professional Zag Fan
          • Oct 2013

Originally posted by mainer6 View Post
          And the crazy thing is, as good as they are, they probably won't even win the tournament.
          With their feet sore from kicking our butts all last night, you'd think they'd be tired and vulnerable. ESPN doesn't seem to think so, however.

EDIT: I want to point out that the credibility of this article has been completely compromised by their "re-seeding" Kentucky as the third #1. Yeah, they beat a #1, but really? Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see them making it to the final four.

Comment

• Malastein
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

It was all about their swarming defense. The whole game I was wishing this team had a Bouldin or a Stepp, who could affect the game in a multidimensional way and make guys around them better. I don't know that we've had a guy doing those little things in a while.
            The only hope we have for a better future is to come together and do everything we possibly can in order to achieve a sustainable existence. Everything else is folly of a broken foundation.

Comment

• cjm720
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2007

We have the next 4 years in a home and home - let's call it the Payback Series.
              Go Zags!!!

Comment

• bigblahla
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
                Perhaps this post is meant more for Zona fans than Zag fans, I don't know. But we, Zag fans, have been through a lot of very difficult games and endured 100 losses in 500 games under Mark Few. I know I've just about seen it all. We were an 8 seed in Buffalo in 2010, beat a good Florida State team that finished 2nd in ACC that year, then were crushed by 1 seed Syracuse. We've been grinded down by Michigan State, outrun by Calipari's old Memphis teams, and other types of power teams. (We've won plenty too, but we'll stick with losses here.)

But last night vs Zona was an out-and-out assault. It was a full blitz. It was w/o mercy. Zona was strongest where we were weakest, and they exploited it every chance they got, which were numerous. In my opinion, that just might have been the best team Gonzaga has played since that UNC team in 2009.

Now, please lose all of your players to the NBA draft.
                Thought the same thing BZ.

Go!! Zags!!!
                "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• rennis
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2007

In my opinion, that just might have been the best team Gonzaga has played since that UNC team in 2009.
                  Agreed. CJM720 and I were having the same conversation this morning.
                  Originally posted by Coach Few
                  We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

• 23zagmd
                    Kennel Club Material
                    • Nov 2012

and their BEST player didn't play! Yikes!

Duke and Carolina will outscore you. Michigan State will grind you down. Kansas and Florida will ease away from you using little spurts. UConn will find a way. Syracuse will frustrate you with zone and shoot you down.

This Arizona team, at least vs GU last night, flatout blitzed us. We were the Denver Broncos and they were the Seahawks.

Comment

• CDC84
                      Super Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

TSN gives them the best chance of winning the tournament of the remaining teams:

1. Arizona. Sean Miller’s reinvention of the Wildcats subsequent to the Brandon Ashley injury ranks among the most impressive coaching performances of the season, though it probably won’t get its full due unless/until they reach the Final Four. Then everyone will take full notice of the fact Miller was resourceful enough to go from a three-big alignment with Ashley to a three-guard alignment with Gabe York joining T.J. McConnell and Nick Johnson. The Wildcats have been mostly destructive since.

Advantage: Arizona has the best combination of offensive punch and defensive destructiveness in the tournament.

Disadvantage: If York is not making shots, defenses still can gather to the inside and shut down the driving lanes this team must find to be great.

Comment

• VaBeachZAG
                        Bleeds GU Blue
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Gray'sAnatomy
                        Agree BZ, Arizona played the flat out most completely dominating game I've ever seen the Zags come up against. That, in my opinion, was even worse than the UNC game. Arizona plays like that the rest of the way, they win the whole tournament, and it won't even be close.
                        Just because Arizona totally dismantled the Zags last night does not mean they are a shoo in to the national championship crown. We were rolled by Syracuse in a very impressive manner a few years back and they then proceeded to lose their very next game. This isn't sour grapes on my part, Arizona whacked us fair and square and I will not be the least bit upset if they go the distance; I am just skeptical that they make it. My adopted favorite of the remaining field is Virginia, only because I think Bennett is a total class act.

Comment

• Zags11
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2008

Wouldn't doubt if they lost to sdsu. It was the perfect storm last night. I believe the gators win it all.

Comment

Working...
                          X