PDA

View Full Version : Post game radio GU-UA

Section 116
03-23-2014, 08:14 PM
Hudson and Violette:

GU's two leads were 2-0 and 4-2, and then. If you are going to beat Arizona you cannot turn the ball over. Start to finish it was an onslaught. After the 5th minute are so GU turned the ball over at an incredible rate. This from a team averaging 11 TO's. After that brief cut to 11 points Arizona quickly quashed any idea the Zags had of a comeback. 84-61 final but the lead was as high as 25.

Karnowski did have a double double. Zags shot 41% from the field. UA had 5 in double figures shooting 49%. Zags end at 29-7. Only one thing to talk about in this game, the TO's. They started turning it over early in the game, and it didn't end. The Bulldogs didn't give you much to hope for, the body language was poor. UA had a play around every corner.

For a team that typically takes care of the ball very well they just continued to turn it over. UA led by 21 with four minutes left in the half, the Zags managed to cut it, and then they come out and turn over twice in the first minute of the second half. 21 TO's led to 31 points.

Violette noted he thought GU matched up pretty well with the Wildcats and he just was shocked at the way the came played out. He said the look on the Bulldogs faces later in the game, were lets get this game over and get me out of the gym. I caught a bit of Pangos being broadcast on the post game press conference and he said UA was like a highlight reel. And then Dower came on crying, noting he let his teammates down today.

Few: That's the best team we played since maybe Syracuse at Buffalo 4 or 5 years ago, they were so well coached, playing like a team, extremely athletic, they were just too much for us tonight. We allowed them in a lot of ways to look so great with all those TO's. We had 29 wins and that didn't come from turning the ball over. Gordon just plays so hard, that is a talent in itself, he just brings it, any coach would want that. He's so tough and plays with so much energy, he is a handful. If I get more I'll add it.

Here is an additional comment from Violette regarding Dower in the post game press conference. He said the NCAA's are a tough deal for the kids with the finality of a loss in the NCAA's (I'm not sure who feels worse tonight, Wichita St or GU), especially the seniors and then they come out to face the press after the loss at the end of your career and they know what the answers are going to be and the kids are just crushed at the moment. He said when Sam has some time to reflect he'll be pleased with what he did at GU. Violette himself had that sudden exit against UA some years back.

Tommy Lloyd:

We knew we didn't have much margin for error and taking care of the ball was something we had done all year. The first minute was good and after that, you gotta give UA a lot of credit. We didn't play good in the first half and hey we're only down 13, and then hey, we needed to create some adversity for them and we didn't.

Our team had a great year and we overcame a lot of things this year, and when you get an 8 or 9 seed you have a chance and then you go up aganst a 1 seed, a team on a mission and we knew that.

We feel Karnowski had laid the foundation for a really good year next year. We felt like we had an advantage at that spot tonight. Stepp is the only other guy who dealt with lingering injuries all season as did Pangos. The kid is a warrior.

Sam had an unbelievable senior year, but UA came after him tonight, throwing some really athletic bodies at him. He was all conference, MVP at the WCC.

The thing with David is you are always going to get everything he's got. That's a gift he has passed on to Gary and Kyle and Kevin. Barham had to wait his turn, took advantage of his opportunity and really contributed for us. All three of those kids are high character guys, we're going to miss them!

wnczagfan
03-23-2014, 08:21 PM
Sam crying...that breaks my heart.:(

Hoopaholic
03-23-2014, 08:22 PM
Sam crying...that breaks my heart.:(

Yes...truly a wonderful young man who has passion for the game, his teammates that runs thru and thru....will miss the big smile

SWZag
03-23-2014, 08:41 PM
Thanks 116. Sam is a class act, as are Drew and Stocks. Their leadership will be missed. Feel for Dower.

bballbeachbum
03-23-2014, 08:44 PM
Thanks 116. Sam is a class act, as are Drew and Stocks. Their leadership will be missed. Feel for Dower.

me too. +1

CDC84
03-23-2014, 08:55 PM
Gordon is the most underrated player in the country.

I'd take him over any other freshman this year. Even Parker. At least at this level. He influences the game in ways that can't be measured statistically, although he put up some incredible stats tonight.

Sam didn't let his team down. He was defended by one of the most versatile and tenacious defenders the college game has seen in the past 15 years.

RenoZag
03-23-2014, 09:04 PM
Section 116: Thanks again for the post-game notes you posted throughout the season. Look forward to them every game and I hope you continue to do it again next year !!

caduceus
03-23-2014, 09:18 PM
Thanks so much 116 for all your transcriptions during the season. Great post as always.

gamagin
03-23-2014, 09:36 PM
+1

Thanks so much 116 for all your transcriptions during the season. Great post as always.

thanks, scoop !

caduceus
03-23-2014, 09:42 PM
+1

thanks, scoop !

And yours, too, gam!

deathchina
03-23-2014, 10:19 PM
Zona looked unusually good on offense but I think a lot of that is due to our defensive philosophy. We really don't do anything disruptive out there. We play solid fundamental defense, but we don't take a team out of their rhythm (like what zona did to us tonight, totally speeding us up into repeated turnovers). It's easy for a great team to score a lot of points when they are allowed to be comfortable running their sets.

Zags11
03-23-2014, 10:48 PM
Dower crushed me. I feel for him and david and Barham.

Birddog
03-24-2014, 04:47 AM
Gordon is the most underrated player in the country.

I'd take him over any other freshman this year. Even Parker. At least at this level. He influences the game in ways that can't be measured statistically, although he put up some incredible stats tonight.

Sam didn't let his team down. He was defended by one of the most versatile and tenacious defenders the college game has seen in the past 15 years.
I agree with your assessment of Gordon. He's really, really good. I hope he jumps to the NBA, I don't want to see him again in a matchup. I thought they doubled Sam on the majority of his touches, kinda hard to score with those athletic defenders all over you.

ZagMania
03-24-2014, 04:58 AM
Seemed like we could barely get Dower the ball without Gordon getting a deflection. It was nuts.

sullyzag66
03-24-2014, 06:02 AM
Sam's Tweet:

@DoloDower: Thx everybody for making my senior year so special and my teammates for being there for me through my ups and downs. I will always be a zag.

Sent from my iPhone