PDA

View Full Version : Postive Note: Karno Looked Good in Both Games......

Ezag
03-23-2014, 08:12 PM
Karno looked good with 2 double doubles in a row and a despite the disaster this game was, he played well (14pts, 10reb, 2blks) and even had a pretty sweet block. I have been pretty hard on PK most of the season but I can now see I am wrong about him. He's made remarkable progress in this first full season at the helm. Looking forward to seeing him suit up next season.

VinnyZag
03-23-2014, 08:15 PM
I can't immediately remember another Gonzaga player who has improved as much during a season a Karnowski did this year. Particularly on defense, but also on offense. The dribble drive shot he made in the second half was remarkable.

Mantua
03-23-2014, 08:16 PM
I thought his agility looked improved.

Whalers86
03-23-2014, 08:17 PM
Karno looked good with 2 double doubles in a row and a despite the disaster this game was, he played well (14pts, 10reb, 2blks) and even had a pretty sweet block. I have been pretty hard on PK most of the season but I can now see I am wrong about him. He's made remarkable progress in this first full season at the helm. Looking forward to seeing him suit up next season.

Agreed. Karno works very hard and is getting better and better. Looking forward to next year...

MJ777

:cheers:

drvenkman05

Right on!

kitzbuel
03-23-2014, 08:18 PM
Karno's confidence rose significantly during this game. He started figuring out how to play with the athletes at UA.

He was dribbling out of trouble, had a nifty little pass to DS inside, lots of little things that come with confidence. Lead scorer, lead rebounder, lowest TOs of the starters. He learned a lot that should pay dividends next year.

SWZag
03-23-2014, 08:19 PM
I was thinking earlier that I would imagine him getting close to averaging a double-double next year. He HAS improved significantly and I can't wait to see his improvement in the off-season. He's going to be a beast!

gonwick
03-23-2014, 08:20 PM
He looked great. I really hope he stays in Spokane this summer rather than playing for Poland.

thespywhozaggedme
03-23-2014, 08:24 PM
Karno and Sabonis on the low blocks next season will be great to watch; go big and play Kyle at the 3.

Ezag
03-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Karno and Sabonis on the low blocks next season will be great to watch; go big and play Kyle at the 3.

That would be something to see!

raise the zag
03-23-2014, 08:32 PM
That would be something to see!

NBA bound?

it was noted by TSSF and several other outlets that NBA scouts have been attending games recently to observe Karnowski.

He's impressed on both ends.

Just a thought. . .

The League drafts on size AND potential.

WallaWallaZag
03-23-2014, 08:35 PM

might create a match-up nightmare on offense, but the defense would get abused by an athletic team...wiltjer can't guard the 3 spot.

pk definitely won his duel with zona's big...if pk can improve his mobility a little bit he'll be a beast next year. needs to work on maintaining his confidence level as well...his play still fluctuates too much and he still gets frustrated easily.

Baseline
03-23-2014, 08:44 PM
To me, Shem's improvement is the highlight of the year. In some ways his improvement borders on being K.O. in magnitude. He became very dominating on defense and a god rebounder. The last part of the season he has started making big strides on offense. His drive to the basket tonight being a prime example. If he gets fluid enough to put the ball on the floor he will take things to another level.

Next year I hope Shem works on a move from the fowl line. When he gets the ball in that area, everyone falls off him and protects the basket. If he could take a couple quick dribbles he would have a short jumper and be able to drop it off if they come up to block. That could be his signature move next year with him and KW trading off this move.

I believe Shem will be GU's best center ever.

HillBillyZag
03-23-2014, 08:50 PM
I swear, some of you could have stood with Custer at the Little Big Horn and told him not to get excited, there were less of them out there then it looked!

Ezag
03-23-2014, 08:51 PM
I swear, some of you could have stood with Custer at the Little Big Horn and told him not to get excited, there were less of them out there then it looked!

Boo!

GonzaGAW
03-23-2014, 08:54 PM
- remember our is karnowski ready for the nba thread?
- I was one who voted no, respectfully and with reasoning.

- but I agree with this post, karnowski played very well in both ncaa tourney games
- his overall game this year is better than last, and while he can be wildly inconsistent, even within a game, he does look to be trending in a positive direction
- I'm actually looking forward to what he might bring to the court next year. (yes our court, not the nba's court)

VinnyZag
03-23-2014, 08:56 PM

Given a choice, I'd have been on the other side.

TexasZagFan
03-23-2014, 08:56 PM
NBA bound?

it was noted by TSSF and several other outlets that NBA scouts have been attending games recently to observe Karnowski.

He's impressed on both ends.

Just a thought. . .

The League drafts on size AND potential.

LOL...I was called crazy on earlier threads for suggesting the same thing. Welcome to the club. Given the projected depth of this year's draft, it may be in his best interest to come back for one more year.

thespywhozaggedme
03-23-2014, 08:58 PM
To me, Shem's improvement is the highlight of the year. In some ways his improvement borders on being K.O. in magnitude. He became very dominating on defense and a god rebounder. The last part of the season he has started making big strides on offense. His drive to the basket tonight being a prime example. If he gets fluid enough to put the ball on the floor he will take things to another level.

Next year I hope Shem works on a move from the fowl line. When he gets the ball in that area, everyone falls off him and protects the basket. If he could take a couple quick dribbles he would have a short jumper and be able to drop it off if they come up to block. That could be his signature move next year with him and KW trading off this move.

I believe Shem will be GU's best center ever.

I think he's just too chicken

seacatfan
03-23-2014, 09:01 PM
I think he was the most consistent Zag in the 2 Tourney games, a definite bright spot. Good games for the big guy.

Baseline
03-23-2014, 09:24 PM
I think he's just too chicken

Sort of a Fowl comment. LOL

TexasZagFan
03-23-2014, 09:28 PM
Sort of a Fowl comment. LOL

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQswREENnX8viP8az2iRA3Bty73sjgwX EpoM6lZwXxlCuJAjx1h

WallaWallaZag
03-23-2014, 09:39 PM
I think he was the most consistent Zag in the 2 Tourney games, a definite bright spot. Good games for the big guy.

karnowski if according to plan should probably should be option #3 after pangos and dower, but it looked like he clearly became option #1 in these last two games. pangos' injury and dower's ineffectiveness gave us a preview of what is to come for next year.

Oregonzagnut
03-23-2014, 09:42 PM
This game was the best overall performance anyone on our team or staff has experienced. All of our returnees, but especially Karno, will reap huge rewards from this experience and a real tangible example of what the best is. I could see Karno challenge and extend himself this game. Both physically and in his own focus, passing and off ball movement. I saw a light go on in Karno. He grew a lot today. Arizona is better than what this team ever saw at Gonzaga or what Karno ever saw in Europe. Karno needs more of these elite games to let him develop to his true potential. No, scratch that, EVERY ZAG needs this type of challenge PRIOR to the dance. The 1 and done NCAA tourney is too late to learn this lesson each year.

Luck is always on the side of those most prepared. But saying the tournament is a crapshoot is a cop-out, IMO. Luck or bad luck is an element obviously, but we can't chalk it up as the main thing holding us back. All mid-majors are at a disadvantage during the tournament and Few is reaching the success and reputation needed to build a team capable of beating the best teams on the biggest stage.

jim77
03-23-2014, 10:06 PM

I thought KP played really well also...especially given his injuries. PK could be an absolute monster next year.....7 months in the gym and lookout! I'd also like to see Edwards up his game...what a tandem that would be. We have a great group coming back next year and some Excellent new guys. The future is bright.

Zags11
03-23-2014, 10:38 PM
He is growing before our eyes. I bet he is a double double machine next year.

WallaWallaZag
03-23-2014, 10:47 PM
He is growing before our eyes. I bet he is a double double machine next year.

he'll have the paint to himself as wiltjer is even less of a post player than dower. hopefully he'll have to share with sabonis...

deathchina
03-23-2014, 10:57 PM
hopefully he can get up to around 66 percent foul shooting next season. Will make a huge difference in his effectiveness.

WallaWallaZag
03-23-2014, 11:14 PM
hopefully he can get up to around 66 percent foul shooting next season. Will make a huge difference in his effectiveness.

while i do think karnowski needs to improve his mobility even more than he already has, it may be that the most improvement necessary is in his head...i think the free throws are a big part of that. not sure he'll ever be over 60% but he can't let if affect the other parts of his game if he can't improve the free throws.

CDC84
03-23-2014, 11:36 PM
In all honesty, Karno needs to say no to the Polish national team, stay behind in Spokane, and get on the Olynyk Plan this entire offseason. And possibly work on his foul shooting with a sports psychologist since his form and work ethic doesn't appear to be the issue.

There comes a time when a foreign player needs to do this to better his game. Just ask Elias Harris. It worked wonders for him. The Polish national team will be better off in the years to come because they'll get a much improved Karno.

Birddog
03-24-2014, 04:12 AM
Karno's confidence rose significantly during this game. He started figuring out how to play with the athletes at UA.

He was dribbling out of trouble, had a nifty little pass to DS inside, lots of little things that come with confidence. Lead scorer, lead rebounder, lowest TOs of the starters. He learned a lot that should pay dividends next year.

Shem didn't get flustered last night, he got angry. A little into the game I remember he did something (can't remember what it was exactly) and I said to myself, the big fella ain't backing down, he came to play. He just kept at it. A thunderous dunk when it was called for, the dribble drive and the nifty sort of behind his back pass to Stockton were highlights. Jeez, he even started to hit his FT's. I'm looking forward to even more and better in regards to Karno.
In the 2nd half I thought he was having a coming out party.

Zags11
03-24-2014, 08:08 AM
Shem didn't get flustered last night, he got angry. A little into the game I remember he did something (can't remember what it was exactly) and I said to myself, the big fella ain't backing down, he came to play. He just kept at it. A thunderous dunk when it was called for, the dribble drive and the nifty sort of behind his back pass to Stockton were highlights. Jeez, he even started to hit his FT's. I'm looking forward to even more and better in regards to Karno.
In the 2nd half I thought he was having a coming out party.

I fully agree.

Zag79
03-25-2014, 01:57 AM
We all hit and miss on players, but I called this from day one. It's rare that a player of his size has such natural footwork and soft hands, not to mention he's pretty nimble for a 7 footer. The league will be calling for this kid, can't wait to see him play next year that's for sure.

OZZY
03-25-2014, 02:31 PM
In Karno I trust,

it has just taken a little longer than I expected......

Zags11
03-25-2014, 02:34 PM
In Karno I trust,

it has just taken a little longer than I expected......

Like sacre longer??

Zagceo
03-25-2014, 02:36 PM
Another nice thing about Karno is he's durable. I don't remember him suffering any minor injuries at all in his 2 years.

Amazing considering how many times he's hit the floor.

BobZag
03-25-2014, 04:06 PM
It'll be incredibly interesting to see how much Shem improves next year, along with Dranginis too. 14-10 to 15-8 would be terrific for Shem. Kyle at 10 pts or so would be equally nice to see with good assist, steal & rebound #'s.

seacatfan
03-25-2014, 04:24 PM
I thought KP played really well also...especially given his injuries.

I agree. Getting him healthy in the off season is priority #1 for prospects of next season.

OZZY
03-25-2014, 08:48 PM
Like sacre longer??

No I think next year we will see a big jump ( a carry on from the last two games). Big Rob really only started hitting his straps after three full years with the Zags.

Rob is actually playing quite well for the Lakers (they scored 51 points in 1 quarter against the Knicks tonight) at both ends of the court.

Zagger
03-26-2014, 04:41 AM
Sans the free throws IMHO Sunday was the best performance this season for Mount K. The jump & dunk was great. The dribble and drive to the basket at around 5:30 left in the game was the highlight of the Zags game for me. Mount K rose to the occasion! I surely hope the Zags' 'out of conference' schedule is a strong one next season! The team needs to play as many top 25 teams as possible - win or lose.
Good luck Seniors! Thanks for a productive year and the WCC Championship!
For all the returning Zags next season - Have a great summer! Can't wait to see you all in the fall! Go Zags!

deathchina
03-26-2014, 08:32 AM
PK almost looked more comfortable against athletes trying to block his shot than he does against the floppers in the WCC.

MTZag03
03-26-2014, 08:45 AM
PK almost looked more comfortable against athletes trying to block his shot than he does against the floppers in the WCC.

I wonder how much of PK's occasional hesitancy is caused by the flopping fouls he racks up in the WCC. The aggressive PK of the end of the game was a completely different animal. He did some things we've never seen and many probably didn't think he could do. He really does have a very high ceiling. I agree that he seems to do better against players of his size/ability. He just does appears more comfortable. PK would benefit more than most from a very difficult non conference schedule next year.

jim77
03-26-2014, 09:54 AM
If Shem has a jump next year like this year...he may be unstoppable. I don't think the team played that bad or had bad coaching, in fact I think this years team was fundamentally sound. They were simply overmatched, all the coaching in the world wasn't gonna fix it. Our guys know how to play. This team reminds me of KO pre buff. They know how to play they just need to make some physical improvements. The lone exceptions are KP and probably Bell those 2 are fine they way they are with KP just needing to get healthy. I also think KD (who already is pretty darn athletic) will get even more physical....I could see that kid having a HUGE YEAR. Nunez is another guy who with some work has the tools to counter teams like AZ....Edwards also needs to work on his physical skills.
I think this AZ loss will be a blessing in disquise....cause I believe it will result in the most physical/talented team that has ever taken the court in a GU uniform. We may have been overmatched against AZ this year but, next year we will vastly different.

I think it would be cool if PK went back to Poland to train....especially if its with this guy:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOGz_tTborE

Zagceo
03-26-2014, 10:01 AM
I think it would be cool if PK went back to Poland to train....especially if its with this guy:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOGz_tTborE

Hard to imagine this guy is the same height as DS!