PDA

View Full Version : Smart's sour grapes

FuManShoes
03-21-2014, 10:01 PM
Great player and I sat here defending him because I believe it, but sad to see Smart whine and whine about the officiating, which apparently only targeted the Pokes. But how did he do when he made it to the line to shoot three free throws on a BS shooting foul call on Stockton, and what did his team do with the 34 other free throws he and his team shot?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/marcus-smart-s-season-ends-with-a-disappointing-loss--more-officiating-complaints-015046057.html

gobroncsgozags
03-21-2014, 10:39 PM
Great player and I sat here defending him because I believe it, but sad to see Smart whine and whine about the officiating, which apparently only targeted the Pokes. But how did he do when he made it to the line to shoot three free throws on a BS shooting foul call on Stockton, and what did his team do with the 34 other free throws he and his team shot?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/marcus-smart-s-season-ends-with-a-disappointing-loss--more-officiating-complaints-015046057.html

I wonder if he will go back and watch the game. He got the calls almost every time he drove.

Ekrub
03-21-2014, 10:46 PM
And got shooting fouls when he wasn't even shooting. Even after the refs looked at the video.

Blackbeard
03-22-2014, 05:22 AM
He will fit well in the nba with his whining

ZagMan in Philly
03-22-2014, 05:46 AM
Coming from a Flopper, I am not surprised.

wnczagfan
03-22-2014, 06:28 AM
Pretty interesting, as the Kentucky fan I was watching the game with kept commenting about how baffling so many of the calls were that went against the Zags….

scott257
03-22-2014, 07:13 AM
I think it is a hard thing for someone as competitive as he is to be subjective right after a tough loss. For what it is worth, he really had the whole weight of his team on his back. I think he would have been better off if he had a coach like ours that understands when it is all said and done, this is still just a game. This kid is struggling with that and it shows. I hope he learns to get past these things so he can get to the point where he just enjoys the game as he would be amazing to watch.

007Zag
03-22-2014, 07:22 AM
I think it is a hard thing for someone as competitive as he is to be subjective right after a tough loss.

Competitive people comport themselves well after disappointments every single day. It's called being an adult. Granted, there are plenty of adults who fail at this, including myself from time to time. That doesn't change the fact that whining doesn't make the outcome any better, it just makes you look worse.

bigblahla
03-22-2014, 07:42 AM
Poor little fella......he'll have to console himself with his millions$..........very immature almost punkish...combine that with the never ending press about how OK state lost instead of Gonzaga won and you just have to feel sorry for him.....or not! Poor me attitudes gets you no where and if that is who he truly is he will wash out of the NBA because they won't fair to him there either but it will always be someone else's fault...geesh......the GM who drafts this guy will be sorry he did in spite of his talent.....head case.

Go!! Zags!!!

wnczagfan
03-22-2014, 07:57 AM
Having lost 6 out of the last 6 games against Gonzaga, I think Oklahoma State might want to focus their attention on some things that need to be improved other than officiating.

Zagnificent
03-22-2014, 07:59 AM
Now that I've seen the guy play, it's a lot easier to understand why the Big 12 loathed him, and why fans (like at TTech) heckled him to the point of inciting him to violence. He's a great talent, but he showcased a remarkable level of immaturity today. The refs were not great, but they were at least consistently bad and for both teams. Smart got called on his flopping when he got that traveling call, and Draino employed the Smart tactic perfectly when Nash tugged on his jersey. Eventually, you'll get it as good as you get it. Apparently Smart just can't accept that.

sylean
03-22-2014, 08:25 AM

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/marcus-smart-s-season-ends-with-a-disappointing-loss--more-officiating-complaints-015046057.html\

there were way too many petty fouls called, but that gave them help in their several little runs that they made, where it seemed, everytime they came down the floor and flailed their hands about they got free throws......I especially think that foul on the 3 pointer was ridiculous...the guy made a motion to shoot only after our guy touched the ball....we had totally more free throws then them but I think the last few minutes of the game where they were fouling to get the ball back made it look like we had the advantage, but up until then, it was pretty even...

CdAZagFan
03-22-2014, 10:00 AM
Smart was the beneficiary of many phantom calls in that game (i.e. Bell's 2nd foul). I used to admire him, but now it seems like he has an air of entitlement. I went back and watched that game and thought he made two bush league moves against KD where he was running full speed with KD trailing him and he just stops and ducks, sticking his butt out so KD flies over the top of him - I've never seen anyone use that move so much...

maynard g krebs
03-22-2014, 10:15 AM
Smart was the beneficiary of many phantom calls in that game (i.e. Bell's 2nd foul).

If not for that call, the game could have easily been a blowout. Totally changed the flow. GB was heading for a career day. CBS is paying too much to have a bunch of blowouts, though. Need scores to be close in the more watched games.

Smart had nothing to complain about. FT's almost even despite GU's last 20 being the result of intentional fouls.

Zagceo
03-22-2014, 10:33 AM
If not for that call, the game could have easily been a blowout. Totally changed the flow. GB was heading for a career day. CBS is paying too much to have a bunch of blowouts, though. Need scores to be close in the more watched games.

Smart had nothing to complain about. FT's almost even despite GU's last 20 being the result of intentional fouls.

IMO the most watched game is not aired at 1:56 in the afternoon.

I tend to agree with Few it was one of those games that was destined to be physical and neither team was gonna back down.

I was proud of our Zags when it looked like it was going south on a couple of occasions they answered and fought through the pokes run which imo is what great teams do, they dug deep and answer the bell.

BTB
03-22-2014, 10:58 AM
I went back and watched that game and thought he made two bush league moves against KD where he was running full speed with KD trailing him and he just stops and ducks, sticking his butt out so KD flies over the top of him - I've never seen anyone use that move so much...

I saw those, that is very frustrating.

I do not think Smart is a punk or anything like that just based off of the last couple of months. IMO it is really Travis Ford's fault that this all happened. A good coach would not allow a losing streak, would keep his players in check, and would help them emotionally when they are going through tough times. It is pretty obvious that Smart has been going through a lot of personal and emotional problems, he is only 19-20 years old and needs a mentor. Everybody needs a mentor at some point in life to grow up. It is a coach's job to turn boys into men and it is obvious that Ford is not concerned with that at all.

Birddog
03-22-2014, 11:18 AM

I do not think Smart is a punk or anything like that just based off of the last couple of months. IMO it is really Travis Ford's fault that this all happened. A good coach would not allow a losing streak, would keep his players in check, and would help them emotionally when they are going through tough times. It is pretty obvious that Smart has been going through a lot of personal and emotional problems, he is only 19-20 years old and needs a mentor. Everybody needs a mentor at some point in life to grow up. It is a coach's job to turn boys into men and it is obvious that Ford is not concerned with that at all.

A lot of folks in these parts are thinking this way but they aren't as polite about it as you are.

Hoopaholic
03-22-2014, 11:27 AM

had a beer with some die hard Kansas fans before the game in vegas. They were describing this exact "technique" that Smart uses...they were pissed about it and how he has been allowed to get away with some of these techniques....then when we were watching these events really stood out

TexasZagFan
03-22-2014, 12:08 PM
He will fit well in the nba with his whining

He also would have fit right in with BYU.

mnzag24
03-22-2014, 12:14 PM
Smart was one of my favorite non-Zag players to watch in college basketball. Yesterday changed that. He is so strong and physical that he does not need to flop around and act to get calls; if he plays his game he will get those calls. Don't know if he was trying to be cute or what but the antics were ridiculous. He is a great player and should stick to that.

Zags11
03-22-2014, 12:35 PM
Awesome player with amazing tools. He came off as a whiner and maybe fed into the media hype or his own. He will grow up, as he is a young adult. Ive done stuff that I look at now and think I could been alot smarter. I know most of you could too. When Smart made these comments, I instantly thought "big baby." Now, I see a young adult with all the pressure in the world fall on national stage again. That kid played his guts out and balled out. Smart cracked alot yesterday but it comes with age.

Now fellow Zag posters:

You call souR grapes but I see alot of posters here blame the refs for a loss. How old are you? Let's keep that in perspective.

scott257
03-22-2014, 03:00 PM
Competitive people comport themselves well after disappointments every single day. It's called being an adult. Granted, there are plenty of adults who fail at this, including myself from time to time. That doesn't change the fact that whining doesn't make the outcome any better, it just makes you look worse.

I do not disagree with you, and I think most of our guys do a very good job with this. I am not sure about the quality of adult influences on this kid though based on his actions earlier this season and based on his coach's response and subsequent T. Coach Few sets a great example and while coaching basketball is his occupation, he always seems to graduate men that are well rounded adults. A great example was provided by our guys and Coach Few in the post game press conference. If I had a son with Marcus Smart's talent, I would be pushing him to commit to Gonzaga and would do my best to keep him away from guys like the Ok State coach and others like Calipari that seem to be more interested in how the kids can further their careers than they care about the kids themselves.

Oregonzagnut
03-22-2014, 08:22 PM
OSU fans only need to blame Travis ford for so many fouls. The Cowboys started intentionally fouling us at the 4 minute mark (3:52). 12 fouls by OSU in the last 4 minutes. They caused it rather than just playing ball. But I think OSU fans are thinking about the intentional and the flagrant fouls and so they thought every foul was aimed at them. But they started hacking with 4 minutes left.

I think Fews words last year regarding Smart were the "real" Marcus Smart. When he didn't skip the NBA and thought his talent was enough to win a championship if he came back. Normally people rag on players for leaving early, but now people are ragging on Smart for staying. Smart is not summed up by several bad decisions, immaturity and selfishness. We all have those things insides us and Smart just let those out in frustration. Smart is not a "punk" IMO. Even if he acts like one occasionally.

Once and Future Zag
03-22-2014, 08:33 PM

This.

Ford has done jack squat to help Smart mature gracefully.

Oregonzagnut
03-22-2014, 08:51 PM
This.

Ford has done jack squat to help Smart mature gracefully.

this is why OSU fans are wanting Ford fired.