PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the G.U.-Oklahoma State game was good basketball?

HillBillyZag
03-21-2014, 04:23 PM
As glad as I am that our Zags triumphed, out of the seven games that I watched, ours was the worst played. Thankfully, Okie State played even worse than G.U. did. The free throw shooting was pathetic. I still have not seen this particular G.U. Team play FORTY minutes of their best basketball all season. It will take that to beat Arizona. Can G.U. do it? Hell yes!, will they do so?, who knows? Beat Arizona!! Lease move this thread to the fingernails on a blackboard post.

U Zig, I Zag
03-21-2014, 04:25 PM
It wasn't pretty, but it was good. We looked better and performed better and OSU played from a point of weakness the entire game. It was ours to lose after the first 5 mins - and we almost let them get back in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birddog
03-21-2014, 04:27 PM
Ease up HB, the refs took control. It wasn't the fault of either team, though stylistically OK St plays more like this more often.

BTB
03-21-2014, 04:29 PM
Yes, I think our team played extremely good basketball. The problem was that the refs did not allow much uninterrupted basketball to be played.

Zagceo
03-21-2014, 04:31 PM
As glad as I am that our Zags triumphed, out of the seven games that I watched, ours was the worst played. Thankfully, Okie State played even worse than G.U. did. The free throw shooting was pathetic. I still have not seen this particular G.U. Team play FORTY minutes of their best basketball all season. It will take that to beat Arizona. Can G.U. do it? Hell yes!, will they do so?, who knows? Beat Arizona!! Lease move this thread to the fingernails on a blackboard post.
Lighten up Francis------ the goal is to score more points and move on the next game. You want to slit your wrists over a win by all means do it please.

Bocco
03-21-2014, 04:33 PM
The basketball was okay, but the amount of fouls made the game frustrating to watch.

TexasZagFan
03-21-2014, 04:40 PM
The announcers demonstrated they didn't do their homework during the second half. OSU tried to speed up the pace of the game, and we went into overdrive. They should have known the Zags love to run and gun, and there are few teams in the nation that can stick with us. Within a couple minutes, the OSU players were tugging at their pants. :lmao:

Mantua
03-21-2014, 04:46 PM
The announcers demonstrated they didn't do their homework during the second half. OSU tried to speed up the pace of the game, and we went into overdrive. They should have known the Zags love to run and gun, and there are few teams in the nation that can stick with us. Within a couple minutes, the OSU players were tugging at their pants. :lmao:

Yeah! I was amazed by that comment and was hoping everyone thought we didn't like to run and gun.

Proved he knew nothing about Zag basketball. They run all summer long.

Reborn
03-21-2014, 04:52 PM

I caught the same mistake by the announcers. It was kind of funny. In regards to the question on the thread, It was what is called an ugly game. There are many kinds of games, and a team needs to be ready to play them all. I think Gonzaga has played a lot of ugly games this year and were prepared for it well. You never know how refs will call a game, but they sure called this one tight. I have seen a few others so far in the tournament that were played at the foul line. Don't get the mind set of thinking that a game will always be a beautiful one to watch. I enjoyed this game as much as any this year. If the refs want a free throw contest to win the game then that's what we had and the Zags won the contest 26 to 22. We also won the FT %. GU shot 63.4% and Oklahoma St shot 59.5%. Gonzaga shot great from beyond the 3 point line and I love to see good 3 pt shooting. Zags were 9-18 and Ok State 5-15. I'll take a win any way we can get it.

Go Zags!!!

Bocco
03-21-2014, 04:54 PM

and people keep saying Zags aren't athletic

Zag4Hire
03-21-2014, 04:54 PM

Yeah, my reaction was "Have you watched GU play at all this year? That is exactly what they want to do." I also think that got Pangos' engine going.

Overall, I think Gonzaga played well but there was a lot of slop on both ends by both teams and some horrible calls so I would say that was not enjoyable.

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
03-21-2014, 04:55 PM
I'll take the win..obviously...but no, this was not pretty, good, graceful or anything else. This would have been a 20 pt blow out if we were decent from the line....just decent...not great.

kitzbuel
03-21-2014, 05:03 PM
Lol. I was trying to figure out where that comment came from, too.

Birddog
03-21-2014, 05:12 PM
Lol. I was trying to figure out where that comment came from, too.
Same place the Pola__k comment came from.

seacatfan
03-21-2014, 05:22 PM
It was impossible for this to be a good basketball game with the way it was officiated. No flow to the game, constant stoppage of play for whistles. Zags did what they needed to do to hold the lead down the stretch. Survive and advance.

deathchina
03-21-2014, 05:28 PM
survive, advance.

MTZag03
03-21-2014, 05:37 PM
Same place the Pola__k comment came from.

As a person of Polish ancestry...who cares? He kept apologizing for it, but really no one cares. And moving to a broader level, no one should care, it was just a tactless comment. Move on.

As to the OP, this was misery to watch. I feel bad for OSU fans. They can legitimately claim that the game was decided by poor officiating (by no means one sided though). I would hate to lose a game that way. I don't think GU played a particularly poor game, but I do feel that the refs kept them from playing the type of game that they could.

kyle dixon
03-21-2014, 05:55 PM
Amen brother

CdAZagFan
03-21-2014, 07:08 PM
Every game is different and I was impressed with GU this game for coming up with answers each and every time OSU made a run. I am excited to see these guys win games like these - when they can work through the bad officiating, keep their heads high and just make it through any obstacle thrown in their way. And then to see how well they were doing even with Dower not doing well, and KP took awhile to get going. This team can surprise in so many ways.

For those that debate Stockton's value, I think there are times he works well, and times he doesn't work well. Today was not a good matchup for him (I couldn't believe I saw him guarding Smart a few times!). I think he'll have better games in this tourney and I'm a fan of his. But that's what I love about this team - there are so many different pieces to combat a variety of issues - and you never know what each game holds!

bballbeachbum
03-21-2014, 07:16 PM
OKST's only chance was to try to speed play up...Zags were killing them in the half court

jpn17
03-21-2014, 08:04 PM
I thought Gonzaga played pretty well given the circumstances. There were so many whistles that it killed any kind of flow to this game and that makes it hard for anyone to get into a groove which is why the game was so sloppy. At the very start Gonzaga was lighting up OSU, about until the point that Bell picked up his second foul where he didn't touch Smart shooting a three. After that it was just 10 players mucking through constant whistles. I think we would have seen a much cleaner game had the refs let them play.

maynard g krebs
03-21-2014, 09:40 PM
I thought the Zags put on an absolute clinic the first 5 minutes. The other side's only chance was to ugly it up. Refs went overboard trying to keep it reasonably clean. Bad job by them but somewhat understandable given how the game was being played.

Hard to be aesthetically pleasing in a game like that.

GrizZAG
03-21-2014, 09:49 PM
Just saw on ESPN2 that Digger Phelps had OK State in F four....OOPS!

Larryzag
03-21-2014, 09:59 PM
I thought the Zags put on an absolute clinic the first 5 minutes. The other side's only chance was to ugly it up. Refs went overboard trying to keep it reasonably clean. Bad job by them but somewhat understandable given how the game was being played.

This. They couldn't hang with the Zags so OK State had to ugly it up. The Zags have been playing very efficient basketball.

mgadfly
03-21-2014, 10:48 PM
I thought the Zags played great. It is easy for a team to get out of the flow and self-destruct in a game like this, and aside from the free throws, they kept things going pretty well.

As for the announcers, I think they were mostly right with their comment about tempo. One of GU's strengths this year is they can play at a variety of tempos, but over the course of the season we played at a much more deliberate and slower pace than OK ST has. We have Karnowski and Dower, much bigger guys that we really want to get on the block and work the ball inside to. I think we were better than them at a slower tempo where we worked their defense by executing our offense. But we do like our primary and secondary breaks and aren't afraid to run at times.

ZagsGoZags
03-22-2014, 12:40 AM
I think GU adjusted to the officiating better than OSU did. From the outset I thought part of Ford's game plan was to attack, attack, attack, on defense as well as offense. Even more so in the second half. This worked in our favor. IMO, in the wildness of letting players whack and smack a lot, push, pull, grab and shove, the quicker more athletic team gets away with more. I didn't mind the reffing in this game because they were consistent, and we adjusted to it, shot free throws better, and had more bench to come in than they did. If this game had gone to overtime we would have had the bench advantage, and that their top players would have logged more time on the track. I know the stats are that we got into serious foul trouble in the 2nd half, but to guard Smart I think it was our game plan to risk that to try to limit him. For the number of calls made, I didn't see that many bad calls. If all games were called this close, teams would adjust, and it would be to our benefit. Again, IMHO.

bigblahla
03-22-2014, 02:42 AM
Ease up HB, the refs took control. It wasn't the fault of either team, though stylistically OK St plays more like this more often.

+1 and then some.....to win this game showed true grit as the refs did every thing they could to keep ok state in the game.

Go!! Zags!!!

zagfan24
03-22-2014, 03:38 AM

Spot on. There were a few particularly questionable calls on both sides. The overall volume of calls, though they made the game utterly exhausting to watch, was more of a response to a team deciding their best chance to win was to be extremely physical on both ends.

I'm proud of our players because when faced with this extremely physical play they didn't back down. The Zags are a tough team -- mentally and physically -- and that served them very well.

Gin N GUice
03-22-2014, 06:50 AM
little did they know tugging at our pants was intentionally foul

sylean
03-22-2014, 07:30 AM
isn't if odd that people get fired immediately if their comments were in a different direction.......just a double standard that we are to ignore I guess...I don't care if he apologized...it wasn't him...its the system that allows some to be offended but not others....

gamagin
03-22-2014, 08:18 AM
+1

I think GU adjusted to the officiating better than OSU did. From the outset I thought part of Ford's game plan was to attack, attack, attack, on defense as well as offense. Even more so in the second half. This worked in our favor. IMO, in the wildness of letting players whack and smack a lot, push, pull, grab and shove, the quicker more athletic team gets away with more. I didn't mind the reffing in this game because they were consistent, and we adjusted to it, shot free throws better, and had more bench to come in than they did. If this game had gone to overtime we would have had the bench advantage, and that their top players would have logged more time on the track. I know the stats are that we got into serious foul trouble in the 2nd half, but to guard Smart I think it was our game plan to risk that to try to limit him. For the number of calls made, I didn't see that many bad calls. If all games were called this close, teams would adjust, and it would be to our benefit. Again, IMHO.

I think it was our toughness and discipline that won this one. Ok ( Smart) was planning to end the day & game with f.t.'s and was clearly upset and taken away from his plan by the stripes noticing HIS fouls, too. How dare they ?

hondo
03-22-2014, 09:33 AM
After reading several post I have come around to this opinion of ZagsgoZags
The refs shouldn't allow a grab on a player on the break even if it's just a slight grab because next time the grab will be more.

CDC84
03-22-2014, 09:47 AM
Something to keep in mind when it comes to the refs in yesterday's game:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...otton-vcu-call

4. Don’t say you weren’t warned. NCAA coordinator of officials John Adams promised last month we should expect the NCAA Tournament to be officiated in a manner consistent with the early season successes of the move to enforce rules against contacting offensive players on the perimeter.

It didn’t appear to happen on the first day of the round of 64, but there was a distinct difference in Friday’s action. That led to Oklahoma State and Gonzaga attempting a combined 78 free throws and five players being disqualified.

The simple solution in this circumstance would have been to not foul, and had both teams not operated under what amounted to different rules during their conference seasons, that would have been a reasonable request. But officials allowed the “new rules” to slide during league play.

Now, if the refs want to advance in the tournament, they have to make the calls in March they too often weren’t in January and February. Mark Few said during a post game locker room interview that most of the foul calls during the game were legit. He said so emphatically. That Gonzaga was fouling too much, and that OSU was fouling too much. While it may have not made for excellent TV viewing, in Few's view, the refs pretty much got it right. It is very likely that if that game had been played in mid-December (before league play) that we wouldn't have seen that many fouls committed, even if the same crew was on the floor. Most of the players at that point of the season had been reconditioned to some level to adapt to the new rules.

Mark Few said during a post game locker room interview that most of the foul calls during the game were legit. He said so emphatically. That Gonzaga was fouling too much, and that OSU was fouling too much. While it may have not made for excellent TV viewing, in Few's view, the refs pretty much got it right. It is very likely that if that game had been played in mid-December (before league play) that we wouldn't have seen that many fouls committed, even if the same crew was on the floor. Most of the players at that point of the season had been reconditioned to some level to adapt to the new rules.

I keep going back to this, and will do so until change comes about. The biggest problem we have in college basketball right now is that the NCAA (or some other centralized entity) should be in charge of officiating throughout the entire season. That the conferences shouldn't have any control or say in the matter. It's the only way that rule changes and points of emphasis can be consistently enforced, and it's the only way to rid the game of individual officials who do a bad job. We have too many recycled officials in the college game who do a bad job in one league but who are allowed to hop on to another league because they are "experienced."