PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Oklahoma St post game thoughts

Reborn
03-21-2014, 04:10 PM
Wow!!! What a game. WE WON MAN. Fantastic feeling. I am NOT surprised either. There was a dark cloud over Oklahoma St. Gonzaga did a great job on defense for most of the game. GU shoots 50% both from the 3 pt line and field goals in general. GU hits 9-18 from the 3 pt line. We are not 16th in the country for nothing, and everyone was worried about Oklahoma's 3 pt shooting. OK St. shot 3-15 from the three. And the Zags held them to 40% shooting as they showed again that THIS ZAG team can play defense.

I thought most of the team played good accept Dower especially. Dower seemed pretty out of it at times today, and Stockton was a little careless with the ball and I think trying to score a little too when he didn't need to. Loves his 3 pt shot that he finally made. lol

It just feels so good to win, and shut down the "talking heads". The CBS crew who the Zags had as commentators at half time (all who are excellent), had a lot of praise for Gonzaga and how they played the first half. And Gonzaga did look good the first half. It was nice to finally hear something positive about the Zags and Mark Few. I am anxious to hear the guys from ESPN who were the ones mainly who didn't give Gonzaga a chance today.

It was really nice to see Pangos begin to play better the second half and make all those free throws,But he shot 6-14 and two for five from the three point line which is progress. Let's keep it up. But he was so solid at the line hitting 12-14, for a total of 26 points. It's been a long time since he's scored over 20. Way to go Kevin. And I hope you're just warming up.

Wow!!!! I"m still so dang happy. I'm definitely on a high. The Little Engine showed it's power today. Time to celebrate ZagNation. Have fun tonight. And please BELIEVE!!! Come on fans. You can do it.

Go Zags!!!

Mantua
03-21-2014, 04:12 PM
At least we hard fouled Marcus Smart once in awhile.

Reborn
03-21-2014, 04:43 PM
The score surprised me alot at times because the game seems SO SLOW. Gonzaga walking the ball down, running their set offense. Zags had very little transition buckets, and neither team really ran. Yet the Zags scored 85, the most points scored in a long time. The Zags shot 9-18 from the 3 point line. Fantastic.

I thought the Zags played hard and tough. I was very happy to see that. It seemed like Ok State was really surprised at how tough Gonzaga was. And I'm sure it helped to be playing on the west coast. We won't have that advantage Sunday, but neither will Arizona. And yet, the Zags play in San Diego every year. I think that could help a little. Arizona playes in LA.

Zagceo
03-21-2014, 04:48 PM
The crowd will be 85% Arizona. Did you notice all the empty seats at the end of the game. My guess it was Arizona fans that left early.

Bocco
03-21-2014, 05:03 PM
my thoughts ... took an early 9 pt lead, and proceeded to hold on for 38 mins for the win :D

RenoZag
03-21-2014, 07:58 PM
In Jim Meehan's game story, Gary Bell summed up the team's response to the Selection Sunday fawning over OSU:

The Zags needed widespread contributions, a boost from their bench and healthy amounts of patience and toughness to reach the finish line of this 2-hour, 35-minute marathon. There were 61 fouls called and 78 free throws attempted. Five players fouled out.

“We played physical,” coach Mark Few said. “We made shots when we needed to, attacked the rim when we needed to. We knew it was going to be a game like that. We had to match their physicality but also their athleticism, which we don’t have, with some toughness.”

By doing so, the Zags “upset” the favored Cowboys (21-13).

“I think we screwed up a lot of peoples’ brackets,” Bell said. “Right when we got selected, they didn’t give us a chance. We played with a chip on our shoulder.”

bballbeachbum
03-21-2014, 08:00 PM
I like Gary Bell Jr.

krozman
03-21-2014, 08:02 PM
The crowd will be 85% Arizona. Did you notice all the empty seats at the end of the game. My guess it was Arizona fans that weren't there yet.

Fixed. Arizona had yet to play their game :-)

Oregonzagnut
03-21-2014, 08:04 PM
Not one bracket did I pick OSU. This game is a perfect tune-up for a grinder with Arizona. We practiced FT's, defense and we proved we can run with the best. If Arizona and all the media were upset that Arizona got such a bad draw getting OSU, then I wonder what they think now?

This situation is perfect for Gonzaga to go in and knock off a big boy. The planets are aligning. The perfect storm is arriving.

bballbeachbum
03-21-2014, 08:12 PM
another thought is the Zags played man to man defense to handle the Cowboys, not a bunch of zones or anything else.

jim77
03-21-2014, 08:35 PM
Hard fought victory.

I figured that this would be a tough game, OSU did not disappoint. I thought coach Few did a nice job managing the foul trouble, the Cowboys were in the bonus with 14 minutes left (2nd half). I kept wishing the clock would hurry up.

We came out hot and it was great to see GBJ hunting and slaying the hoop.....PK also did a really nice job. I though Kyle D showed a lot of toughness and he certainly earned his 5 fouls. This is such an unselfish team....who would have guessed Sam would leave with 3 points yet, the Zags pulled it out. Its that kinda of versatility that makes the Zags such a tough team to deal with. I believe Coach Ford mentioned that in the press conference.

I thought Marcus Smart showed himself well....I don't think its possible to play much harder. Seeing him in a scrum of white shirts and come away with the ball shows why he'll soon get paid to play...and Markell Brown will too...much respect to OSU.

CdAZagFan
03-21-2014, 08:58 PM
Incredible win to slog through that one and never relinquish the lead. As for Arizona - what a great position to be in. If we lose, oh well, the pundits can't heap too much more on our tournament success because it will be a 1 seed. If we win - will we become the Cinderella again (or at the very least) gain some appreciation from some of the media?

bartruff1
03-21-2014, 09:00 PM

Check the schedule..

Zagceo
03-21-2014, 09:09 PM

Arizona played before Zags on Friday. What are you talking about ?

Baseline
03-21-2014, 10:01 PM
Overall this was one of Gonzaga's best game of the year. They maintained the intensity pretty much the whole game and shut Smart down about as much as he could be shut down. Shem really changed the game with his play as did Bell.
The even tempo game worked out very well, it didn't let Oklahoma run and allowed the Zags to play efficient ball with minimal turnovers.
KD's time was outstanding. He has turned the corner and no longer looks lost or scared out there, he is there to play.
Everything said, it boils down to Kevin. He makes Gonzaga dangerous and able to beat any team if he is hitting. While not putting on a shooting show his drives and free throws made the difference down the stretch.
This is what I hoped to see from the team at this point. Play like this and they can go deep!

demian
03-21-2014, 10:34 PM
Wow!!! What a game. WE WON MAN. Fantastic feeling. I am NOT surprised either. There was a dark cloud over Oklahoma St. Gonzaga did a great job on defense for most of the game. GU shoots 50% both from the 3 pt line and field goals in general. GU hits 9-18 from the 3 pt line. We are not 16th in the country for nothing, and everyone was worried about Oklahoma's 3 pt shooting. OK St. shot 3-15 from the three. And the Zags held them to 40% shooting as they showed again that THIS ZAG team can play defense.

I thought most of the team played good accept Dower especially. Dower seemed pretty out of it at times today, and Stockton was a little careless with the ball and I think trying to score a little too when he didn't need to. Loves his 3 pt shot that he finally made. lol

It just feels so good to win, and shut down the "talking heads". The CBS crew who the Zags had as commentators at half time (all who are excellent), had a lot of praise for Gonzaga and how they played the first half. And Gonzaga did look good the first half. It was nice to finally hear something positive about the Zags and Mark Few. I am anxious to hear the guys from ESPN who were the ones mainly who didn't give Gonzaga a chance today.

It was really nice to see Pangos begin to play better the second half and make all those free throws,But he shot 6-14 and two for five from the three point line which is progress. Let's keep it up. But he was so solid at the line hitting 12-14, for a total of 26 points. It's been a long time since he's scored over 20. Way to go Kevin. And I hope you're just warming up.

Wow!!!! I"m still so dang happy. I'm definitely on a high. The Little Engine showed it's power today. Time to celebrate ZagNation. Have fun tonight. And please BELIEVE!!! Come on fans. You can do it.

Go Zags!!!

Reborn = I am starting to believe!!! I just needed a glimmer of hope, I got it today

Zagceo
03-21-2014, 11:20 PM
I thought the Zags played with great confidence and poise.

I've heard a few coaches talk about their slow start because of nerves in this years tournament.

Zags came out playing in 6th gear while the pokes were in 3rd.

Zags have complete control of their emotions and play with focus.

Zagnation should be proud of this team.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-22-2014, 05:44 AM
Great and courageous in-game coaching move by Few to keep Bell in the game during the 1st half with 2 fouls.
A lot of coaches would sit him until the 2nd half, but you run the risk of your player - especially when he's "feelin it" as Bell most definitely was - never re-discovering his game form.

Very gutsy move by Few and it paid off big-time! Kudos to Gary Bell for playing Smart without picking up a 3rd foul in the first half! :-)

Reborn
03-22-2014, 06:10 AM
You're right on. Great coaching job by Mark Few in many ways.

Go Zags!!!

hooter73
03-22-2014, 07:46 AM
my thoughts are that Stockton had a poor game compared to how he played in the WCC tourney and Dower was nothing on O which is not normal. Hope we arent trading Bell and Pangos finally playing well for those two going cold. If all 4 plus Shem, KD and Barham are "on" we have a heck of a shot at AZ but I expect that was about it for what Kevins foot can handle in such a short time span.