PDA

View Full Version : - - -GUnit of the Game- - - (OK State in the Second Round)

SWZag
03-21-2014, 04:42 PM
Who is your GUnit of the game?

Pangos was back to nearly his normal self!

Draino, he impressed and never slowed down. Great game by him.

Bell got us going, which set the tone.

Shem getting a double-double

On and on...

Go Zags!!

rawkmandale
03-21-2014, 04:45 PM
Kevin was so steady when things weren't going well.

whatazag
03-21-2014, 04:45 PM
Tough call. Went with Bell, due to his early play. Pangos late free throws were money, thought Dranginis played very well, and Karnowski was solid.

kitzbuel
03-21-2014, 04:49 PM
KP killed them and they didn't even know it.

gu03alum
03-21-2014, 04:51 PM
I spent some time thinking about this, but went with Pangos for hitting the free throws at the end.

MickMick
03-21-2014, 04:53 PM
Kevin killed their diminishing hopes down the stretch.

gamagin
03-21-2014, 04:54 PM
Pangs with 49% to Shem. Pangs turned out to provide the daggers we needed. especially at the f.t. line where it was 7 straight misses before he took over. GB was far and away the mvp of the first 2/3rd of the first half, too. Those three overall, won this thing for us.

Bogozags
03-21-2014, 04:57 PM
Thought the play of "non-starter" Dranginis was the difference...

Reborn
03-21-2014, 04:57 PM
Went with Bell for carrying us most of the game. Kevin and Dranginis were close. And they both hit some nice threes and foul shots. I am surprised we could win with Sam Dower playing so poorly. i"d say that was his worst game of the year. He did have some nice assists into PK. Pk too was pretty good but turns the ball over way to much for me. His free throw shooting was only so so at best.

I thought our bench played great, and I did think they'd be the difference in the game and they were. Dranginis played very good and Barham hit those two nice three's.

Go Zags!!!

Birddog
03-21-2014, 05:01 PM
I voted KP, but Bell and Dranginis were rocks out there.

webspinnre
03-21-2014, 05:01 PM
Any of those top 4 are reasonable choices, but went with Kevin for hitting his FTs down the stretch, and a couple of key threes.

billyberu
03-21-2014, 05:04 PM

I agree. This kid is surprisingly tough for having a fairly non-descript frame. He nearly knocked Shem out last month and he took on Smart who is built like a brick-$.hithouse.

We're going to really enjoy Dranginis for his final two years.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Once and Future Zag
03-21-2014, 05:05 PM
Draino - glue guy.

kitzbuel
03-21-2014, 05:06 PM
I spent some time thinking about this, but went with Pangos for hitting the free throws at the end.

The best part is OSU hates Pangos. He is a Cowboy killer.

Mantua
03-21-2014, 05:09 PM
KP our rock. Bell and Dranginis were warriors!

Baseline
03-21-2014, 05:11 PM
I gave it to Bell for getting us going and his work on defense.

Big shout out to Few for a good game plan.

TacomaZAG
03-21-2014, 05:13 PM

BINGO.........KD and GBJ's defense on Smart and the other OSU guards was the difference. Smart got his but he had to work awfully hard to do it. He was sucking wind the last 8 minutes. Forte and Brown were non-factors.

Great game all around, glad SD was saving himself for Sunday!!!!

Go ZAGS

Bocco
03-21-2014, 05:15 PM
Shem, Pangos, Bell, Dranginis all played a great game - Bell provided early spark with his threes, and Pangos was clutch from the line at the end of the game, but I thought Dranginis was the difference and voted from him.

john montana
03-21-2014, 05:17 PM
Draino. We are tougher when he is on the floor.

NEC26
03-21-2014, 05:23 PM
Draino really played well but I went with Pangos as he was the only one who could hit his free throws.

TexasZagFan
03-21-2014, 05:30 PM
I surprised myself and went with Draino, but it was awfully close. It was a team effort that took down the Cowboys. Don't overlook Sam's contributions, either. He may have only had 3 points, but he played good D and had a few nice assists.

I didn't care that KP was only 1-5 in the first half. What I cared about were the five shots, and he stepped it up in the second half.

Team win...team win...team win.

maynard g krebs
03-21-2014, 05:31 PM
Was gonna go with Bell or Karnowski until the ft debacle. KP for icing the game. Could have been any of those 3 or KD.

gozagswoohoo
03-21-2014, 05:39 PM
Tough one! I wanted to give it to 3 different guys, but went with KP for icing the game.

Also, this is probably my favorite GUnit thread of the last 2-3 seasons! Woohoo!

Just A Zag
03-21-2014, 05:54 PM
Kyle D. Being at the game you could just sense the difference when he was on the floor. He didn't back down playing D on a future NBAer in Smart, and he was super smart with the ball. Pangos made the crucial FTs, but Kyle was equally important.

Hoopaholic
03-21-2014, 05:57 PM
Kyle D. Being at the game you could just sense the difference when he was on the floor. He didn't back down playing D on a future NBAer in Smart, and he was super smart with the ball. Pangos made the crucial FTs, but Kyle was equally important.

THIS......

Birddog
03-21-2014, 06:08 PM
Kyle has been showing a quick jab step move that he just uses as a fake most often. He needs to exploit his defender more often with that. I think it is a confidence issue.

BobZag
03-21-2014, 06:17 PM
Voted for El Voce's favorite guy, Kyle for his all-around game, but feel GPJ really set the tone at the start.

cjm720
03-21-2014, 06:20 PM
The TEAM! Great effort by all!!

GZag
03-21-2014, 07:00 PM
I came here today to vote for Pangos!

roxdoc
03-21-2014, 07:09 PM
Could have gone with several of those mentioned but went with KD. It is such a good feeling to have someone at the "3" that really produces all round. Such a luxury to finally have someone like KD mixed in with the "stars". He has a way to go, but he also has two more years to do it! Already leaving his mark.

Zags11
03-21-2014, 07:12 PM
Bell, Karno, kd, Pangos.

CdAZagFan
03-21-2014, 07:48 PM
Had to go with Bell. He set the tone early, then had some great defensive plays throughout the game (including a couple of great strips of Smart as he was shooting late) and he hit a big three in traffic in the 2nd half after OSU had gone on a run - and his three turned the tide again. Great all around game.

On a side note, KD seems to always have one or two steals at just the right time - and did so today again. Plus after missing a couple of free throws, he nailed like four in a row… Great job.

willandi
03-21-2014, 08:06 PM
GBJ started it, KP finished it and PK plus KD held the middle. All were worthy, but I went with other...S*i* Bayless, Bilas and all the others that gave the Zags bulletin board material. We could have won without your jaded BCS views, but they made the win feel so much better!

Oregonzagnut
03-21-2014, 08:57 PM
Pangos scored the last 10 points, bell scored the 1st 6 points. One of the Zags best tournament games ever. Ugly and grating on the nerves but our guys hung in there and Karnowski was solid too.

Pangos.

For the clutch FT's when it looked like the last minute was a foul-fest.

Btu close behind him is Bell for his early dagger and solid SOLID defense.

GrizZAG
03-21-2014, 09:51 PM
I went for Bell building the foundation we had on the front end so we weren't playing catch up ball the rest of the way.

Hats off to Few for not getting the half dozen "T" calls I would have gotten strangling silly refs. Few is cool hand Luke baby.
(This message approved by Dicky V)

2wiceright
03-21-2014, 11:00 PM
Pangos for his leadership at the end including finally putting the game on ice by making his free throws. Actually I'd like to add Bell for stepping it up right out of the gates and his usual top notch defensive effort! Great team Win...

wnczagfan
03-22-2014, 06:57 AM

+1

wnczagfan
03-22-2014, 07:59 AM

It has been very difficult choosing the G-Unit this season because there have been so many games where several players were legitimately entitled to a shout-out. What a great TEAM this is!

77Zag
03-22-2014, 08:28 AM
Team as a whole
But picked KP for his ice cold free throw run at the end of a brawl.

gamagin
03-22-2014, 08:34 AM
I like the team option for GUnit in the playoffs. Singling out one zag when there were 4-5 who actually stepped up when it was time is difficult. It was a team that beat ok. Fwiw.

gonzagabasketball
03-22-2014, 08:58 AM
Team win for sure. Smart and Brown, Pangos and Bell, all got theirs. OkSU had no answer for Karnowski, so he got my vote. But I happen to agree with just about every post in this thread, you could have voted for many of the other guys.

Go, Gonzaga.

Worthington
03-22-2014, 09:26 AM
I went with KD. The rest of the guys did what I expect them to do, but Dranginis exceeded all my expectations today. That was one of the most confident and aggressive games that I've seen him play, and it came in a high pressure tournament game of all places! Those free throws he hit down the stretch (7-8) were cold blooded. Couldn't be more proud of him

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-22-2014, 10:09 AM
I voted for Dranginis. He did a lot of good things for us. Having a quality sixth man mitigated our early foul trouble. He scored when we needed points to hold off the OK St. rallies. He handled their full court pressure well on the press breaks. He defended well against those big, athletic guards. I thought it was his most complete game as a Zag in the biggest moment of his career. He has improved immensely from a year ago.