• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zagfan24
    Zag for Life
    • Jun 2008

Pick ONE statisic that will decide Friday's game

A lot of options...difficulty is you must choose only one team's statistic (i.e., can't say "total points").

I'm going to go with Oklahoma St. offensive rebounds. The Cowboys are not a great rebounding team, but they are a good 3 pt shooting team. The Zags may play some zone, and if they do, they absolutely cannot allow extra shots. BYU had 15 offensive boards in the WCC championship game, and yes this was a result of a lot of missed shots, but it would absolutely doom the Zags. I'll say that the Cowboys cannot have 8 or more offensive boards for the Zags to come out victorious.

In close second I would say Gonzaga turnovers, which I think needs to be kept at 10 or fewer to win.
  • gonzagafan62
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2013

Ill give you three stats that will be absolutely critical: GU Rebounding, GU Turnovers, and GU Points in the paint. Gotta win 2 of those three.
    Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• wnczagfan
      Kennel Club Alum
      • Jan 2014

Rebounding. When the Zags are fighting for the boards are the games where they are aggressive in all aspects,which I think we will need to win this game.

Comment

• Chicken Ball
        Kennel Club
        • Feb 2007

GU: Fouls committed by Dower and Karnowski.
        Ok St: fast break points.

Comment

• ZagMan in Philly
          Zag for Life
          • Apr 2007

3 point FG percentage and made 3pt shots....whoever has these will move on.

Comment

• jpwils
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Feb 2007

Offensive rebounds and Avoid foul trouble.

Originally posted by ZagMan in Philly View Post
            Can't rely on 3 pt shot to win exclusively.

Karnowski and Dower et al need to be second shot procurers of the ball.

Not enough to be big- can we set picks, fight for position AND STAY OUT of FOUL TROUBLE.

Get the ball inside and let our bigs GET THEM in foul trouble.

How can we spring Pangos for a few early open looks??

Nunez will need some extra minutes to help us rebound on the offensive glass.

Comment

• Reborn
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2007

The records of the two coaches. I believe that coaching is so important. I believe it is important for Mark Few to feel good about his ability to out-coach the coach he's up against. Few is 3-0 against Travis Ford in head to head meetings. Mark Few also has a pretty good NCAA record, 15-14 and Ford is 1-4. Few has been in the NCAA tournament 14 straight years and Ford only 4. Few has much more experience in the NCAA.
              Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• zagfan24
                Zag for Life
                • Jun 2008

Originally posted by ZagMan in Philly View Post
                I agree with you here -- Zags should have advantage inside but a bit worried they'll trade 2's for 3's...

Comment

• RenoZag
                  Super Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Turnovers.
                  The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• ZagMan in Philly
                    Zag for Life
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by jpwils View Post
                    Can't rely on 3 pt shot to win exclusively.

Karnowski and Dower et al need to be second shot procurers of the ball.

Not enough to be big- can we set picks, fight for position AND STAY OUT of FOUL TROUBLE.

Get the ball inside and let our bigs GET THEM in foul trouble.

How can we spring Pangos for a few early open looks??

Nunez will need some extra minutes to help us rebound on the offensive glass.
                    It will open up the middle, once they have to guard the three line.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                      • Mar 2008

fast break points off turnovers
                      The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• VinnyZag
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Oklahoma State is actually one of the worst rebounding teams in the country, measured by rebounding percentage. 287th in offensive rebound percentage, 214th in defensive rebound percentage (according to KenPom). So if rebounding is your key stat, the standard should be, by how much does Gonzaga dominate the rebounding.

I'd go with personal fouls by Dower and Karnowski. Gonzaga turnovers also makes sense.

Comment

• Reborn
                          Zag for Life
                          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by zagfan24 View Post
                          I agree with you here -- Zags should have advantage inside but a bit worried they'll trade 2's for 3's...
                          It's a myth that Oklahoma St is a better 3 pt shooting team than Gonzaga. Gonzaga is ranked 16th nationally in 3 pt % and Oklahoma St is ranked 77th. Gu shot 609 threes this year and made 240 for .394 percent (almost 40% which is great). Oklahoma St shot 641 and made 236 for .368 percent of their shots. I'd say that that's as about even as you can get. Zags made 4 more 3 pt shots this year then Oklahoma St did. So I don't see the big advantage to Oklahoma St. Sorry, doubters.

Go Zags!!!
                          Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• cggonzaga
                            Zag for Life
                            • Mar 2007

Shooting percentage. Okie St doesn't shoot it well from the perimeter. We'll be playing zone. Just be sure to rebound and i think we'll be OK.

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
                              Turnovers.
                              Yup. Oklahoma State will run us out of the gym, if we don't protect the ball.
                              “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

Working...
                              X