• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

BELIEVE

I woke up this morning with the word "believe" entering my consciousness. And I stayed with it for quite awhile (meditated) . There really is power in the process of believing. As I read through the threads and the posts it's great to feel the level of belief that fans do have in the Zags winning in this tournament, but there is certainly a lot of unbelievers as well. But I am sensing that each hour more and more people are beginning to believe. I want to challenge everyone who comes to this board to challenge yourself to begin to believe in this year's Zags.

It's normal to doubt. I have doubts too, and I try to overcome them both with logic and with faith. And for me it takes both. The research that I do, together with the research and mathamatical/statistical work that a few members of this board do, helps me believe that the Zags are a really good team this year and can beat Oklahoma St. If there is still doubts that linger after reading and studying the research, then I begin to call upon my faith. And most of the time it works.

Logic tells me that the Zags are a really good team. They have one of the best coaches in the country. He's proven his talents. Few has a really good staff, and they too prove their value to the team. These coaches really know how to take a group of young men who, most often, are not the most talented players in the country and build winners out of them. They know how to build character, chemistry and cohesiveness out of these players and these qualities make them a very dangerous team. I look at Sam Dower, David Stockton, Kyle Dranginis, Drew Barham, Karnowsky, Coleman and Nunez and see a group of players who have grown so much this year as basketball players. I've seen more growth out of this years team then any of the previous teams in years past. They have just kept getting better all year. These players are now quality players who can compete with anyone I believe.

And they join Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell, two veterans who are the glue to this team. Both of these guys are great basketball players. It has taken a lot of time for this team to gel, and develop into the cohesive, quality team that they now are. Few and his staff have done a great job, and maybe his best job ever. This team has not peaked, and they still have a lot to prove. I like that. They are hungry. Very hungry. And, imo, that is a very important quality to have going into this tournament.

I feel that this team is worthy of our belief. And I want to challenge all of you who still doubt to give it to them. If logic hasn't convinced you that this is a worthy team, then I ask you to try to find, or ask for, the faith it takes to believe. Let's come together as fans and get behind this team 100%. Whatever ideas that may keep you from believing in this team throw them out, burn 'em, blow 'em up with dynomite.....whatever it takes to clean your mind and put in the belief that will support this team. Believing is often defined as drinking Kool-Aid. It really isn't. That, at least, is my opinion. It's much deeper than that.

We get an extra too to do our work as fans. We have a ways to go to become the kind of fans the Zags need to beat Oklahoma St. I'll give you something to think about. I know that this team believes in themselves and in each other. If you haven't seen that then you have missed what this season is about. David Stockton has become a leader, and a darn good point guard. He is good enough to lead this team in this tournament. He has proven to us all that he is for real. Well, at least he has proven himself to me. David, to me, has been the missing piece. And whatever work he has done to make himself better, has paid off. I'm smiling.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • gonzagafan62
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
    I woke up this morning with the word "believe" entering my consciousness. And I stayed with it for quite awhile (meditated) . There really is power in the process of believing. As I read through the threads and the posts it's great to feel the level of belief that fans do have in the Zags winning in this tournament, but there is certainly a lot of unbelievers as well. But I am sensing that each hour more and more people are beginning to believe. I want to challenge everyone who comes to this board to challenge yourself to begin to believe in this year's Zags.

It's normal to doubt. I have doubts too, and I try to overcome them both with logic and with faith. And for me it takes both. The research that I do, together with the research and mathamatical/statistical work that a few members of this board do, helps me believe that the Zags are a really good team this year and can beat Oklahoma St. If there is still doubts that linger after reading and studying the research, then I begin to call upon my faith. And most of the time it works.

Logic tells me that the Zags are a really good team. They have one of the best coaches in the country. He's proven his talents. Few has a really good staff, and they too prove their value to the team. These coaches really know how to take a group of young men who, most often, are not the most talented players in the country and build winners out of them. They know how to build character, chemistry and cohesiveness out of these players and these qualities make them a very dangerous team. I look at Sam Dower, David Stockton, Kyle Dranginis, Drew Barham, Karnowsky, Coleman and Nunez and see a group of players who have grown so much this year as basketball players. I've seen more growth out of this years team then any of the previous teams in years past. They have just kept getting better all year. These players are now quality players who can compete with anyone I believe.

And they join Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell, two veterans who are the glue to this team. Both of these guys are great basketball players. It has taken a lot of time for this team to gel, and develop into the cohesive, quality team that they now are. Few and his staff have done a great job, and maybe his best job ever. This team has not peaked, and they still have a lot to prove. I like that. They are hungry. Very hungry. And, imo, that is a very important quality to have going into this tournament.

I feel that this team is worthy of our belief. And I want to challenge all of you who still doubt to give it to them. If logic hasn't convinced you that this is a worthy team, then I ask you to try to find, or ask for, the faith it takes to believe. Let's come together as fans and get behind this team 100%. Whatever ideas that may keep you from believing in this team throw them out, burn 'em, blow 'em up with dynomite.....whatever it takes to clean your mind and put in the belief that will support this team. Believing is often defined as drinking Kool-Aid. It really isn't. That, at least, is my opinion. It's much deeper than that.

We get an extra too to do our work as fans. We have a ways to go to become the kind of fans the Zags need to beat Oklahoma St. I'll give you something to think about. I know that this team believes in themselves and in each other. If you haven't seen that then you have missed what this season is about. David Stockton has become a leader, and a darn good point guard. He is good enough to lead this team in this tournament. He has proven to us all that he is for real. Well, at least he has proven himself to me. David, to me, has been the missing piece. And whatever work he has done to make himself better, has paid off. I'm smiling.

Go Zags!!!
    +1 Reborn. Believe!

Go zags!
    Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• Jstock12
      Bleeds GU Blue
      • Feb 2014

Comment

• MTZag03
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2012

I believe. I believe we have a team full of high character young men. I believe we have leadership and camaraderie. I believe we have a coach that will emphasize that the team gets the most out of their experience while giving their all.

I also believe that this team could seriously surprise this year. Looking at the advanced stats like the other kenpom post you can see how competitive we can be. This year I'm going to just enjoy things. GU can win their first two games. If they do, the sky is the limit. If they don't, we are set to do well next year, especially if a certain Lithuanian joins. The sun will rise tomorrow.

Comment

• Reborn
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Jstock12 View Post
          Thanks for the video. A great song. I love the guitar licks as I'm straight out of the 60's and 70's. Love Rock and Roll. Couldn't hear the words though. What's the name of the song? Maybe I can find the words on google. Thanks!!!

Go Zags!!! Keep the faith.

ps I found the words....not what I was hoping for. I do agree that sometimes we can and do believe in the wrong thing, which seems right at the time. And yes, beliefs can change. Today, we're talking about basketball, and when we talk of a war, it's not a real war (which this song is about).

And I suppose there could be more Cowboy fans who believe in their team then do Zag fans. But hold on, I'm not so sure. First we can not judge ZagNation by this fan board. I have always doubted that this forum is a true representation of ZagNation as a whole. I have always believed that ZagNation is more positive then fans here.

Go Zags!!!

Comment

• gonzagafan62
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
            Thanks for the video. A great song. I love the guitar licks as I'm straight out of the 60's and 70's. Love Rock and Roll. Couldn't hear the words though. What's the name of the song? Maybe I can find the words on google. Thanks!!!

Go Zags!!! Keep the faith.
            Song is called Where the Light is by John Mayer
            Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• Reborn
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2007

John Mayer - Belief Lyrics
              Artist: John Mayer
              Album: Continuum
              Genre: Rock

Listen while you read!
              Is there anyone who ever remembers
              Changing their mind from the paint on a sign?
              Is there anyone who really recalls
              Ever breaking rank at all
              For something someone yelled real loud one time?

Oh, everyone believes
              In how they think it oughta be
              Oh, everyone believes
              And they're not going easily

Belief is a beautiful armor
              But makes for the heaviest sword
              Like punching underwater
              You never can hit who you're trying for

Some need the exhibition
              Some have to know they tried
              It's the chemical weapon
              For the war that's raging on inside

Oh, everyone believes
              From emptiness to everything
              Oh, everyone believes
              And no one's going quietly

We're never gonna win the world
              We're never gonna stop the war
              We're never gonna beat this
              If belief is what we're fighting for

Is there anyone who can remember
              Ever surrender with their life on the line?

What puts a hundred thousand children in the sand?
              Belief can, belief can
              What puts the folded flag inside his mother's hand?
              Belief can, belief can

Writer(s): John Mayer, John Clayton Mayer

Comment

• Vanzagger
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

great post Reborn
                Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                  Zag for Life
                  • Sep 2009

Recommended reading: "The Biology of Belief" by Dr Bruce Lipton, PHD

Comment

• 75Zag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Mar 2007

"Everyone has to believe in something, and I believe I will have another drink."

My apologies to the author, but I forget his name. Was it W.C. Fields?

Go Bulldogs!
                    Do not go gentle into that good night,
                    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
                    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

Working...
                    X