had an interesting convo tonight (worth reading)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • demian
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Feb 2007

had an interesting convo tonight (worth reading)

I have a friend who lives in Tacoma. He has a son who ran track at UCLA in the sprints. He has a son currently playing hoops at Mt. Tahoma HS in Tacoma, wa. his son is all league selection Narrows League as a guard ( I am not giving his name) but he is legit. we were talking tonight about the NCAA tourney and I said I was pulling for Wichita State, Louisville and Virginia to win it all, he said he is a Pac 12 homer and he is only rooting for pac 12 teams. which is cool. I then asked him a pac 12 question. why are Washington folks so infatuated with UW and romar cuz they have been irreleveant for awhile and that I thought Gonzaga and Oregon had passed them by as far as relevancy. he said he asked his son who is all narrows league all conference and his sons other friends throughout the narrows league about Gonzaga and they all had NOTHING to say about Gonzaga and they all said they would rather go to Seattle University instead of Gonzaga. keep in mind this same guy said to me = "what are you talking about? this is the first year UW has missed the NCAA tourney in years". Obviously I told him no this is 3 straight years of missing the NCAA tourney and in year three I don't think the UW even made the NIT tourney. what coach at any legit hoops program would survive that. but that is the current perception of GU in the seattle aau circuit and UW is still the gold standard for those hs aau kids. I found it interesting
  • rawkmandale
    Banned
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by demian View Post
    I have a friend who lives in Tacoma. He has a son who ran track at UCLA in the sprints. He has a son currently playing hoops at Mt. Tahoma HS in Tacoma, wa. his son is all league selection Narrows League as a guard ( I am not giving his name) but he is legit. we were talking tonight about the NCAA tourney and I said I was pulling for Wichita State, Louisville and Virginia to win it all, he said he is a Pac 12 homer and he is only rooting for pac 12 teams. which is cool. I then asked him a pac 12 question. why are Washington folks so infatuated with UW and romar cuz they have been irreleveant for awhile and that I thought Gonzaga and Oregon had passed them by as far as relevancy. he said he asked his son who is all narrows league all conference and his sons other friends throughout the narrows league about Gonzaga and they all had NOTHING to say about Gonzaga and they all said they would rather go to Seattle University instead of Gonzaga. keep in mind this same guy said to me = "what are you talking about? this is the first year UW has missed the NCAA tourney in years". Obviously I told him no this is 3 straight years of missing the NCAA tourney and in year three I don't think the UW even made the NIT tourney. what coach at any legit hoops program would survive that. but that is the current perception of GU in the seattle aau circuit and UW is still the gold standard for those hs aau kids. I found it interesting
    Seattle is a legend in its own mind - some things never change...

Comment

• gu03alum
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Keep educating those soggy brained Western Washingtoners. I suspect that the rest of the country knows Gonzaga much better than UW, at least that's been my experience.
      Bring back the OCC

Comment

• scrooner
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

I blame "The 6th Man": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_6th_Man

UW wins national championship with the help of a ghost.

Comment

• MTZag03
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2012

Seattle will be Seattle. I lived there six years and none of that surprises me. The elitism of that city in all things is insufferable. They live in a bubble where they are the best thing to happen to humanity in the history of forever. It stunned me that going to a sports bar it was difficult to get a Gonzaga game. Sure they will pull for GU sometimes, but for the most part GU is a bunch of outsiders.

Comment

• MTZag03
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by scrooner View Post
            I blame "The 6th Man": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_6th_Man

UW wins national championship with the help of a ghost.
            Oh my goodness that looks awesome!

Comment

• VinnyZag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Yes, it is truly stunning that kids are interested in going to school close to where there families and support systems are. Amazing.

Comment

• Vanzagger
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Seattle is nice in the summer.

I have driven from Spo to Seattle in under 3 1/2 hours. I am talking North Spokane to the King Dome parking lot. Staying close to family is a poor excuse to not want to play for a National Power.
                Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

Comment

• willandi
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2007

There is an Urban Legend that in the summer of 1991, when 92 separate fires were ravaging Spokane County, a conflagration known as Firestorm...an aide rushed into the Governors office and breathlessly excaimed "Governor! The Whole Eastside is burning up". The governor replied "Bellevue's on fire?"
                  Seems that the perception of Seattle is that Washington stops on the west slopes of the Cascades. Gonzaga does what it can to increase their presence and awareness in Seattle, but in a city that rains 12 months of the year, it's hard to read a soggy newspaper. We should all declare "Nomar!"
                  Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• Zagdawg
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Most Seattlites spend 2+ hours per day stuck in traffic/rain drinking a Starbucks and they listen to the local radio show talking about how wonderful romar and the uw program is.

It sounds like an educational issue if they don't even know when the last time they were in the dance-- judging from the incoming talent (no top 100 players have decided to stay in the Seattle area since wroten in 2011)--- local players have a pretty good idea just how wonderful it is to play for the husky basketball program and the missing of the dance will continue next year (judging from the poor incoming recruiting class).

Go Zags

Comment

• demian
                      Professional Zag Fan
                      • Feb 2007

whats your point. Of course we all would understand staying close to home and your support system. It isn't like Gonzaga is across the country. oh well whatever. thanks for your valuable input
                      Originally posted by VinnyZag View Post
                      Yes, it is truly stunning that kids are interested in going to school close to where there families and support systems are. Amazing.

Comment

• cjm720
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2007

Seems like an issue against the mostly white private school.
                        Go Zags!!!

Comment

• MTZag03
                          Zag for Life
                          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by demian View Post
                          whats your point. Of course we all would understand staying close to home and your support system. It isn't like Gonzaga is across the country. oh well whatever. thanks for your valuable input
                          no need to be snippety.

Regarding traffic, ugh I hated that in Seattle. I remember when pres Obama landed unannounced for a fundraiser. Shut down I90, I5, and the 520 bridge...at 545 pm on a weekday. horrible traffic. I managed to take 99 north and get a burger from Dick's at least. Garbage traffic in that city. On the bright side when it snowed the commute was ready since no one would be on the interstates.

Anyway, on point, I don't really know where top Seattle area talent is going now, but UW doesn't have the stranglehold that they used to. Romar will probably be shown the door when his contract is up. Didn't he recently sign a new one once again overpaying him?

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                            Zag for Life
                            • Oct 2008

Spokane is a Non-Person over there to many, and the others seem to think we crap in outhouses and ride horses to work. It happened with so much regularity when I would visit during college: people would think I was very quaint when they found out I was from Spokane. It's pretty ethnocentric over there.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MTZag03 View Post
                              no need to be snippety.

Regarding traffic, ugh I hated that in Seattle. I remember when pres Obama landed unannounced for a fundraiser. Shut down I90, I5, and the 520 bridge...at 545 pm on a weekday. horrible traffic. I managed to take 99 north and get a burger from Dick's at least. Garbage traffic in that city. On the bright side when it snowed the commute was ready since no one would be on the interstates.

Anyway, on point, I don't really know where top Seattle area talent is going now, but UW doesn't have the stranglehold that they used to. Romar will probably be shown the door when his contract is up. Didn't he recently sign a new one once again overpaying him?
                              Try NYC... When any president comes into town it is horrible. Full session of the UN... ugh... gridlock to the Nth degree.
                              "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

Working...
                              X