PDA

View Full Version : had an interesting convo tonight (worth reading)

demian
03-16-2014, 11:13 PM
I have a friend who lives in Tacoma. He has a son who ran track at UCLA in the sprints. He has a son currently playing hoops at Mt. Tahoma HS in Tacoma, wa. his son is all league selection Narrows League as a guard ( I am not giving his name) but he is legit. we were talking tonight about the NCAA tourney and I said I was pulling for Wichita State, Louisville and Virginia to win it all, he said he is a Pac 12 homer and he is only rooting for pac 12 teams. which is cool. I then asked him a pac 12 question. why are Washington folks so infatuated with UW and romar cuz they have been irreleveant for awhile and that I thought Gonzaga and Oregon had passed them by as far as relevancy. he said he asked his son who is all narrows league all conference and his sons other friends throughout the narrows league about Gonzaga and they all had NOTHING to say about Gonzaga and they all said they would rather go to Seattle University instead of Gonzaga. keep in mind this same guy said to me = "what are you talking about? this is the first year UW has missed the NCAA tourney in years". Obviously I told him no this is 3 straight years of missing the NCAA tourney and in year three I don't think the UW even made the NIT tourney. what coach at any legit hoops program would survive that. but that is the current perception of GU in the seattle aau circuit and UW is still the gold standard for those hs aau kids. I found it interesting

rawkmandale
03-17-2014, 12:38 AM
I have a friend who lives in Tacoma. He has a son who ran track at UCLA in the sprints. He has a son currently playing hoops at Mt. Tahoma HS in Tacoma, wa. his son is all league selection Narrows League as a guard ( I am not giving his name) but he is legit. we were talking tonight about the NCAA tourney and I said I was pulling for Wichita State, Louisville and Virginia to win it all, he said he is a Pac 12 homer and he is only rooting for pac 12 teams. which is cool. I then asked him a pac 12 question. why are Washington folks so infatuated with UW and romar cuz they have been irreleveant for awhile and that I thought Gonzaga and Oregon had passed them by as far as relevancy. he said he asked his son who is all narrows league all conference and his sons other friends throughout the narrows league about Gonzaga and they all had NOTHING to say about Gonzaga and they all said they would rather go to Seattle University instead of Gonzaga. keep in mind this same guy said to me = "what are you talking about? this is the first year UW has missed the NCAA tourney in years". Obviously I told him no this is 3 straight years of missing the NCAA tourney and in year three I don't think the UW even made the NIT tourney. what coach at any legit hoops program would survive that. but that is the current perception of GU in the seattle aau circuit and UW is still the gold standard for those hs aau kids. I found it interesting

Seattle is a legend in its own mind - some things never change...

gu03alum
03-17-2014, 03:14 AM
Keep educating those soggy brained Western Washingtoners. I suspect that the rest of the country knows Gonzaga much better than UW, at least that's been my experience.

scrooner
03-17-2014, 05:51 AM
I blame "The 6th Man": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_6th_Man

UW wins national championship with the help of a ghost.

MTZag03
03-17-2014, 06:00 AM
Seattle will be Seattle. I lived there six years and none of that surprises me. The elitism of that city in all things is insufferable. They live in a bubble where they are the best thing to happen to humanity in the history of forever. It stunned me that going to a sports bar it was difficult to get a Gonzaga game. Sure they will pull for GU sometimes, but for the most part GU is a bunch of outsiders.

MTZag03
03-17-2014, 06:03 AM
I blame "The 6th Man": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_6th_Man

UW wins national championship with the help of a ghost.

Oh my goodness that looks awesome!

VinnyZag
03-17-2014, 06:37 AM
Yes, it is truly stunning that kids are interested in going to school close to where there families and support systems are. Amazing.

Vanzagger
03-17-2014, 07:33 AM
Seattle is nice in the summer.

I have driven from Spo to Seattle in under 3 1/2 hours. I am talking North Spokane to the King Dome parking lot. Staying close to family is a poor excuse to not want to play for a National Power.

willandi
03-17-2014, 07:51 AM
There is an Urban Legend that in the summer of 1991, when 92 separate fires were ravaging Spokane County, a conflagration known as Firestorm...an aide rushed into the Governors office and breathlessly excaimed "Governor! The Whole Eastside is burning up". The governor replied "Bellevue's on fire?"
Seems that the perception of Seattle is that Washington stops on the west slopes of the Cascades. Gonzaga does what it can to increase their presence and awareness in Seattle, but in a city that rains 12 months of the year, it's hard to read a soggy newspaper. We should all declare "Nomar!"

Zagdawg
03-17-2014, 07:54 AM
Most Seattlites spend 2+ hours per day stuck in traffic/rain drinking a Starbucks and they listen to the local radio show talking about how wonderful romar and the uw program is.

It sounds like an educational issue if they don't even know when the last time they were in the dance-- judging from the incoming talent (no top 100 players have decided to stay in the Seattle area since wroten in 2011)--- local players have a pretty good idea just how wonderful it is to play for the husky basketball program and the missing of the dance will continue next year (judging from the poor incoming recruiting class).

Go Zags

demian
03-17-2014, 08:35 AM
whats your point. Of course we all would understand staying close to home and your support system. It isn't like Gonzaga is across the country. oh well whatever. thanks for your valuable input

Yes, it is truly stunning that kids are interested in going to school close to where there families and support systems are. Amazing.

cjm720
03-17-2014, 08:44 AM
Seems like an issue against the mostly white private school.

MTZag03
03-17-2014, 08:45 AM
whats your point. Of course we all would understand staying close to home and your support system. It isn't like Gonzaga is across the country. oh well whatever. thanks for your valuable input

no need to be snippety.

Regarding traffic, ugh I hated that in Seattle. I remember when pres Obama landed unannounced for a fundraiser. Shut down I90, I5, and the 520 bridge...at 545 pm on a weekday. horrible traffic. I managed to take 99 north and get a burger from Dick's at least. Garbage traffic in that city. On the bright side when it snowed the commute was ready since no one would be on the interstates.

Anyway, on point, I don't really know where top Seattle area talent is going now, but UW doesn't have the stranglehold that they used to. Romar will probably be shown the door when his contract is up. Didn't he recently sign a new one once again overpaying him?

JPtheBeasta
03-17-2014, 08:47 AM
Spokane is a Non-Person over there to many, and the others seem to think we crap in outhouses and ride horses to work. It happened with so much regularity when I would visit during college: people would think I was very quaint when they found out I was from Spokane. It's pretty ethnocentric over there.

LongIslandZagFan
03-17-2014, 08:50 AM
no need to be snippety.

Regarding traffic, ugh I hated that in Seattle. I remember when pres Obama landed unannounced for a fundraiser. Shut down I90, I5, and the 520 bridge...at 545 pm on a weekday. horrible traffic. I managed to take 99 north and get a burger from Dick's at least. Garbage traffic in that city. On the bright side when it snowed the commute was ready since no one would be on the interstates.

Anyway, on point, I don't really know where top Seattle area talent is going now, but UW doesn't have the stranglehold that they used to. Romar will probably be shown the door when his contract is up. Didn't he recently sign a new one once again overpaying him?

Try NYC... When any president comes into town it is horrible. Full session of the UN... ugh... gridlock to the Nth degree.

demian
03-17-2014, 08:56 AM
ok sorry MTZag03.

VinnyZag
03-17-2014, 09:06 AM

My point is, what is your point? Of course kids from over here want to go to school close to where there families and friends live. It has nothing to do with the so-called "arrogance" of western Washingtonians or anything else. It's a perfectly natural and normal reaction. It was also normal when Adam Morrison and Sean Mallon picked Gonzaga.

By the way, the 2012-2013 Narrows League MVP is currently on Gonzaga's roster.

demian
03-17-2014, 09:15 AM
My point is, what is your point? Of course kids from over here want to go to school close to where there families and friends live. It has nothing to do with the so-called "arrogance" of western Washingtonians or anything else. It's a perfectly natural and normal reaction. It was also normal when Adam Morrison and Sean Mallon picked Gonzaga.

ok fair enough vinnyzag. good point btw about meikle

thespywhozaggedme
03-17-2014, 09:28 AM

Washington didn't offer him. On a side note, how does Romar still keep his job?

demian
03-17-2014, 09:58 AM
Washington didn't offer him. On a side note, how does Romar still keep his job?

no kidding

TacomaZAG
03-17-2014, 10:04 AM
At least you guys have the luxury of distance from the arrogance. Try living in Tacoma and having it rammed down your throat every day of the year. According to Seattle, we still have the "Tacoma Aroma" even though it's been gone for at least 20 years.

Also, did you all know the 2015 U.S. Open Golf Tournament is being held in a City called "near Seattle". It's actually in University Place (just south of Tacoma), so Tacoma can't really claim it either. I grew up in Spokane and it's a lot easier over there, comparatively.

The local papers are calling for "loyalty" to Romar as he goes through this tough stretch. We'll see..................

Go ZAGS

BobZag
03-17-2014, 10:19 AM
Between the Husky Honks on the radio all day long and the constant barrage of Husky hype on TV, of course many kids will believe Huskies are awesome and Gonzaga sucks ass and swallows. Fortunately, there are some kids who know the deal in that area and GU has a good chance at getting them. It's the way it is. No big deal, really. But thanks for sharing, it's always interesting hearing various POVs.

Zag 77
03-17-2014, 10:21 AM
the others seem to think we crap in outhouses and ride horses to work.

Don't forget that we have attacks by Indians on our wagon trains on a regular basis too.

Zag365
03-17-2014, 10:25 AM

I've lived in Seattle for 30+ years since graduating from Gonzaga. This conversation is typical in my experience. I don't think it is arrogance (although there can be some of that). I think it is indifference and lack of publicity/coverage. We didn't have a radio station on the Zag network until this year. ROOT-TV Sports hasn't promoted Gonzaga games that much (although this year they are giving a little more pub to their expanded showing of WCC games, including Gonzaga). The Seattle sports pages don't say much other than a short summary of games and a box score until the NCAA tournament starts. GU then gets some pub for a week or two, but it stops as soon as Zags are eliminated. Even though Seattle area is second highest number of alumni in the country, we are a small school and our numbers are diluted in Western WA. ESPN Sports Radio - KIRO 710 mentions Gonzaga scores from time to time but I haven't heard any indepth discussion and if they do an interview it is rare. KJR 950 seems to deliberately ignore Gonzaga. Their major "talent" Mitch Levy has a personal beef with Coach Few for reasons that are unclear and seem to be the result of some perceived snub -- so KJR, which is also the UW flagship station, is pretty-much a Gonzaga/Few-free zone. Of course, Coach Few isn't someone who gives a lot of interviews, so he's pretty much invisible/unknown to Seattle sports fans -- they know his name, but that's about it. All-in-all Gonzaga is treated as if it is a Triple AAA franchise (to stretch an analogy) that may be a big deal in its own community and admirable in having success at that level, but most people in Seattle have no feel for, interest in, or familiarity with the program, the players, etc. The most common question I get from non-Zags in Seattle area, who have known for years that I'm a Zag, is: "So, how's Gonzaga doing this year?" They simply don't follow it and are making conversation. I don't think it is hostility; it's indifference.

Reborn
03-17-2014, 10:34 AM
I'm not sure if Gonzaga has ever gotten Seattle kids. Done well with Tacoma kids, or in that area (Casey Calvary and Meikle). They also got Bell, from the Seattle area but no in Seattle. WE have had this discussion many times, and examined the reasons why. There are many. Some of them listed here, but many more. Luckily for GU, Few can certainly recruit outside of the Seattle area and even now outside the West Coast, and even outside of the USA. One kid Few really made a mistake about is the Harris kid playing for Virginia. He is from Quincy, or Chelan or somewhere in the Moses Lake area. Harris really wanted to go to GU. I believe Few chose Gibbs over Harris. Gibbs in now playing for Creighton. But I'm happy with David Stockton and Kevin Pangos, our two combo guards. Pangos and Stockton are smaller, but just as tough, and just as good. It will be interesting to watch these three teams in the NCAA Tournament this year: Gonzaga, Creighton and Virginia.

Zagdawg
03-17-2014, 10:51 AM
UW has other marketing ideas it is working-- doesn't seem to concerned about the lack of post season basketball success recently.

I think the UW is focusing all of its efforts on the China trip next year-- sending its team to China so that it can recruit students from the most populus country.

'The collegiate offering will be the first regular-season college or pro matchup for a US league in China."

"The game will be staged on the morning of November 14, 2015, and be telecast live in the United States."

"This will be a great educational experience for our student-athletes and another opportunity to strengthen the university's brand in the world's most populous country."

Angelo Roncalli
03-17-2014, 10:55 AM
Western Washington Zags

Tyler Amaya, Mt. Vernon
Duane Bergeson, Anacortes
Gary Bell, Kent
Matt Bollinger, Seattle
Casey Calvary, Tacoma
Micah Downs, Bothell
Will Foster, White River
Steven Gray, Bainbridge Island
Jon Kinloch, Bellingham
Erroll Knight, Seattle
Luke Meikle, Tacoma
Bryce McPhee, Tacoma
Jim McPhee, Tacoma
Josh Reisman, Mt. Vernon
John Rillie, Australia (via Tacoma CC)
Curt Rettenmier, Everett
Ross Rettenmier, Everett
Lorenzo Rollins, Tacoma
Jay Sherrell, Spanaway
Mark Spink, Bellingham
Scott Spink, Bellingham
Matt Stanford, Seattle
Kenny Williams, Tacoma

Probably some I'm missing

Pallet
03-17-2014, 10:59 AM
UW has other marketing ideas it is working-- doesn't seem to concerned about the lack of post season basketball success recently.

I think the UW is focusing all of its efforts on the China trip next year-- sending its team to China so that it can recruit students from the most populus country.

'The collegiate offering will be the first regular-season college or pro matchup for a US league in China."

Has UW forgotten about Georgetown's visit to China a few seasons ago? The game ended in a fight between the teams:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/fight-ends-georgetown-basketball-exhibition-in-china/2011/08/18/gIQAs1zeNJ_story.html

DixieZag
03-17-2014, 11:05 AM
Nice job Angelo. I think just as important as the entire list is the fact that the last two western wa kids that we really wanted (coincidentally also state POY, I'm sure it's a coincidence) came here. Steven and Gary are the two that I think we went hardest after. I think if we're batting around .500 with kids Few really wants (not just interested to throw out an offer, but really wanted) it seems there is enough interest to get what we need there in recruiting.

Also, the other thing I would note is that the OP took the experience of the kid he was speaking to who talked about the kids he knew and then extrapolated it out broadly - that may be correct - but, it may also well be a case of self-selection of kids interested. The types of kids (Gary - Steven) who would be interested in Gonzaga know plenty about it, the ones beholden to the bright lights and a clean March calendar offered by the UW simply choose to ignore Gonzaga, not be unaware.

gu03alum
03-17-2014, 11:24 AM
Western Washington Zags

Tyler Amaya, Mt. Vernon
Gary Bell, Kent
Matt Bollinger, Seattle
Casey Calvary, Tacoma
Micah Downs, Bothell
Will Foster, White River
Jon Kinloch, Bellingham
Erroll Knight, Seattle
Luke Meikle, Tacoma
Bryce McPhee, Tacoma
Jim McPhee, Tacoma
Josh Reisman, Mt. Vernon
Curt Rettenmier, Everett
Ross Rettenmier, Everett
Lorenzo Rollins, Tacoma
Jay Sherrell, Spanaway
Mark Spink, Bellingham
Scott Spink, Bellingham
Matt Stanford, Seattle
Kenny Williams, Tacoma

That's a good list. I have such a hard time finding historical information about Gonzaga. Do you have a website that you go to for this info or did you do that from memory?

demian
03-17-2014, 11:29 AM
I'm not sure if Gonzaga has ever gotten Seattle kids. Done well with Tacoma kids, or in that area (Casey Calvary and Meikle). They also got Bell, from the Seattle area but no in Seattle. WE have had this discussion many times, and examined the reasons why. There are many. Some of them listed here, but many more. Luckily for GU, Few can certainly recruit outside of the Seattle area and even now outside the West Coast, and even outside of the USA. One kid Few really made a mistake about is the Harris kid playing for Virginia. He is from Quincy, or Chelan or somewhere in the Moses Lake area. Harris really wanted to go to GU. I believe Few chose Gibbs over Harris. Gibbs in now playing for Creighton. But I'm happy with David Stockton and Kevin Pangos, our two combo guards. Pangos and Stockton are smaller, but just as tough, and just as good. It will be interesting to watch these three teams in the NCAA Tournament this year: Gonzaga, Creighton and Virginia.

Joe harris is from Chelan

Hoopaholic
03-17-2014, 11:31 AM
nice job Angelo...was going to compile that list as well but got sidetracked with an earthquake....hate it when work intereres with my fun

misnomer that we do not have deep fingers in the pie of the westside.......we do pick and choose who will be a great fit in the overall scheme of things and sometimes that means saying thank you but no thank you to some talent

Angelo Roncalli
03-17-2014, 11:32 AM
Some memory, some looking at some old media books. Lots of the info is on the GoZags site.

http://www.gozags.com/fls/26400//MEN%27S%20BASKETBALL/2013-14%20MBB%20RECORD%20BOOK.pdf

There were some "near misses." Jerry Petty from Garfield in Seattle verballed to Gonzaga, got waylaid by an unscrupulous USF assistant coach (John Wade), then finally ended up at Nevada.

maynard g krebs
03-17-2014, 11:40 AM
In the Redmond gym where I play, I see just about as much Zag gear as UW gear worn by the young guys, which is surprising given the location.

If kids would rather go to Seattle U, they're not serious players anyway. Sounds like a bunch of sour grapes and not worth much discussion.

seacatfan
03-17-2014, 11:57 AM
I would hazard a guess it has more to do with being in the WCC Conference than being located in the eastern side of Washington State. Wazzou's roster is usually stocked w/ players from Western Washington. Obviously Zags program is far superior to WSU and Spokane is an actual city vs. the way out there backwater that is Pullman, yet kids are still willing to cross the Cascades and trek over there. It is what it is.

UberZagFan
03-17-2014, 12:46 PM
Non-issue. Very little top D1 talent coming out of Tacoma right now, and not much in all of Western WA -- at least nothing like 8-10 years ago. And the OP is likely referring to the kid who committed to SU. Probably pretty easy for kids to say they would rather go to SU than GU when they know GU is not even an option -- the kid that committed to SU back in January had 3 or 4 schools offer him and none of them were top tier and only Pepp was top 200 rpi school. Point is, don't take too much stock in the opinions of those players that GU wouldn't be recruiting anyhow.

AR: did you mean Kevin Williams, member of GU's first tourney team? Just happened to run into him the other night...

cbbfanatic
03-17-2014, 12:49 PM
Seattle is a legend in its own mind - some things never change...

coming from a gonzaga fan, this actually made me laugh

cbbfanatic
03-17-2014, 12:50 PM
Sounds like a bunch of sour grapes and not worth much discussion.

which part, the initial innocuous sounding discussion, or the responses in this thread?

Zagdawg
03-17-2014, 12:55 PM
Now lets be nice to the romar apologists-- cbb we still love you -- its the uw coach we have the challenge with.
:)
Go Zags

Angelo Roncalli
03-17-2014, 01:00 PM
AR: did you mean Kevin Williams, member of GU's first tourney team? Just happened to run into him the other night...

Kenny Williams from Bellarmine Prep. Was a walkon at GU.

Kevin played a few years before Kenny. No relation. Not sure where Kevin played HS ball. Sacramento, maybe?

maynard g krebs
03-17-2014, 01:02 PM
which part, the initial innocuous sounding discussion, or the responses in this thread?

Kids saying they'd rather play for Seattle U.

cbbfanatic
03-17-2014, 01:04 PM
Now lets be nice to the romar apologists-- cbb we still love you -- its the uw coach we have the challenge with.
:)
Go Zags

(not sure if you were addressing me, but) I'm no romar apologist. dont care much about uw basketball at all - not very compelling. i understand how they have kept him around like they have (knowing that their institutional priorities are much different than at a place like GU), but i dont think that makes me an apologist.

for me, im just not surprised to hear that a west side kid wouldnt be talking up GU - its not exactly a glamour program that registers with every kid out there. its also probably not as enticing to some kids that GU spends a big chunk of its season doing the HS gym tour on espn3 at 9pm. pac12, on the other hand, has a lot of juice. football, basketball, the insitutions themselves, etc. that people on here get all bent out of shape over it and expect/project their feelings onto everyone else is what gets me.

it doesnt mean GU is a worse program than su or uw, just not terribly compelling to a certain type of kid. couldnt we all draw this conclusion from some of the routes GU needs to go to fill out its roster every year? transfers, jucos, internationals, etc. maybe HS kids in this country just dont have a strong affinity for GU.

Zagdawg
03-17-2014, 01:23 PM
I don't know that anyone is saying that the Zags are worse than uw or su -- I think most will agree that the Zags are a few steps above both of these programs as the records show.

As far as needing a different route to fill a roster-- the uw has a JC small forward transfer, an international unranked PF and the best recruit coming is is the #56 ranked 3* small forward in the class and all we have is some very highly rated high school kids in addition to potentially highly rated Sabonis.

As far as the glamour "And 1/streetball" program -- I agree -- the Zags are more about fundamentals and results over roll the ball out for the best highlight reel dunk.

If a potential scholarship basketball athlete is choosing a school because of the great football program it has -- well that is a whole different story-- they would not be a good fit for the Zags anyway.

The Zags are doing just fine with the players they are bringing in will continue into the future.

Go Zags

Club Prez
03-17-2014, 01:24 PM
A true Zag, Mike Nilson, matriculated at Shorecrest High in Seattle.

And I recall a 7 footer from Kelso that lasted a semester or so ten years or so back - came in with Bakari Hendrix's little brother.

rawkmandale
03-17-2014, 01:29 PM
We do have one major regional advantage: HoopFest, which brings in a ton of young people from Seattle and Portland. It has done a lot to raise the profile of Spokane as a basketball community.

Angelo Roncalli
03-17-2014, 01:37 PM
A true Zag, Mike Nilson, matriculated at Shorecrest High in Seattle.

And I recall a 7 footer from Kelso that lasted a semester or so ten years or so back - came in with Bakari Hendrix's little brother.

How could I forget Nil?

I didn't include the guys from SW Washington. The guy you're referring to is Eric Chilton, who spent his whole freshman redshirt season successfully hiding from the strength and conditioning coach.

kitzbuel
03-17-2014, 01:41 PM
We do have one major regional advantage: HoopFest, which brings in a ton of young people from Seattle and Portland. It has done a lot to raise the profile of Spokane as a basketball community.

Hoopfest is a huge deal for Spokane. It really establishes Spokane as a basketball haven, an image that really gets reinforced by John Stockton's Warehouse, all the former Zag professional players coming back here during summers to train, former NBA'ers, coaches, and Zags setting down and living here. BBall is a very strong sub-culture for Spokane which is a selling point.

GoZags
03-17-2014, 01:44 PM
(not sure if you were addressing me, but) I'm no romar apologist. dont care much about uw basketball at all - not very compelling. i understand how they have kept him around like they have (knowing that their institutional priorities are much different than at a place like GU), but i dont think that makes me an apologist.

for me, im just not surprised to hear that a west side kid wouldnt be talking up GU - its not exactly a glamour program that registers with every kid out there. its also probably not as enticing to some kids that GU spends a big chunk of its season doing the HS gym tour on espn3 at 9pm. pac12, on the other hand, has a lot of juice. football, basketball, the insitutions themselves, etc. that people on here get all bent out of shape over it and expect/project their feelings onto everyone else is what gets me.

it doesnt mean GU is a worse program than su or uw, just not terribly compelling to a certain type of kid. couldnt we all draw this conclusion from some of the routes GU needs to go to fill out its roster every year? transfers, jucos, internationals, etc. maybe HS kids in this country just dont have a strong affinity for GU.

You'll have to let me know when Gonzaga has played on ESPN3*, ever. Or how many times they've played at 9pm Pacific time.

At least have a smidgen of accuracy in your weak jabs, please.

*Sure -- the GU games can be shown on ESPN3 -- but every single time that's happened it's also been on "real" cable t.v. -- either ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU.

sittingon50
03-17-2014, 01:44 PM
Kevin Williams graduated in '97. Played at Bellarmine Prep.

No, the one in Foster City, Ca. (just out of San Mateo-Bay Area).

rennis
03-17-2014, 02:27 PM
I don't buy it for a second that kids in the puget sound discount Gonzaga. Some may have personal preferences for UW or other P12 schools, but this P12 homer guy is just that, a homer.

What % of the undergrads at GU are from the west side of the mountains? A large percent, I know that. If non-student athletes from the Seattle area are attracted to the school, certainly some of the student-athletes from the same region are too. (Just not that one.)

I laugh when I read people's posts about "Seattle" people being stuck in traffic, soggy/coffee brained, local sports homers, etc. (I'll admit, the sports radio here sucks.) It's the same stuff you hear Seattle people spout off when they want to put Spokane down. It's almost all wrong in some way or another and also very childish. I've lived in both areas and they are both wonderful for different reasons, just be glad you are fortunate enough to call either of them home. Give it a rest people!

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-17-2014, 02:34 PM
Western Washington Zags

Tyler Amaya, Mt. Vernon
Gary Bell, Kent
Matt Bollinger, Seattle
Casey Calvary, Tacoma
Micah Downs, Bothell
Will Foster, White River
Jon Kinloch, Bellingham
Erroll Knight, Seattle
Luke Meikle, Tacoma
Bryce McPhee, Tacoma
Jim McPhee, Tacoma
Josh Reisman, Mt. Vernon
Curt Rettenmier, Everett
Ross Rettenmier, Everett
Lorenzo Rollins, Tacoma
Jay Sherrell, Spanaway
Mark Spink, Bellingham
Scott Spink, Bellingham
Matt Stanford, Seattle
Kenny Williams, Tacoma

Wasn't Dan Dickau from that area?

GoZags
03-17-2014, 02:41 PM
Wasn't Dan Dickau from that area?

Yes. As was Richie and Zach.

kitzbuel
03-17-2014, 02:47 PM
You'll have to let me know when Gonzaga has played on ESPN3*, ever. Or how many times they've played at 9pm Pacific time.

At least have a smidgen of accuracy in your weak jabs, please.

*Sure -- the GU games can be shown on ESPN3 -- but every single time that's happened it's also been on "real" cable t.v. -- either ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU.
I saw and DVR'd every single Zag game this year via my Dish. Same thing the last two years. Still have all the games on my DVR. Some of them I had to watch over a rather weak slingbox connection when I was out skiing, but saw 'em all.

Pretty good for an East Coaster.

Zagdawg
03-17-2014, 02:49 PM
Hate to bring out the facts -- Seattle ranked #8 in worst traffic in the nation per USA today 2013 article.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/05/04/worst-traffic-cities/2127661/

I was born in Seattle area and worked at Boeing -- moved away and would never move back (Seattle gets twice the rainfall of Spokane also ;) ).

Just tossing out some facts so help eliminate the incorrect information that was being shared.

FieldHouseFishHouse
03-17-2014, 03:11 PM
Yes. As was Richie and Zach.

And Raivio?

Angelo Roncalli
03-17-2014, 03:21 PM
it doesnt mean GU is a worse program than su or uw, just not terribly compelling to a certain type of kid.

You mean the type that don't want to go to class or who look forward to a career of pimping their girlfriends after they've exhausted their eligibility?

seacatfan
03-17-2014, 03:23 PM
And Raivio?

Just to be clear, all those guys are from around Vancouver, WA. I think when people refer to Western Washington, it's really the Puget Sound area. Vancouver is SW Washington and really might as well be in Oregon, it's more or less a suburb of Portland. I grew up east of there, all the media is out of Portland, you feel more like an Oregonian than a Washingtonian. I don't think the powers that be really acknowledge that the stae extends any further south than Olympia.

Unbiased
03-17-2014, 04:16 PM
Seems like an issue against the mostly white private school.

No one touched this comment, but I will. On more than one occasion, I have sat next to a group of AAU coaches at Seattle area hoop tournaments, listening to them talk will make you wonder if there is not some truth to cjm's post.

siliconzag
03-17-2014, 04:27 PM
I am a Seattle born guy. I love Seattle, but currently live in bucolic bliss in the Napa Valley. However having lived in Seattle my first 20 years, I must say that it is a compelling place, the many aforementioned defects notwithstanding. As a city it is much nicer than most, equal if not better than San Francisco in terms of restaurants and certainly friendliness. The Seattle I grew up in was not arrogant, but it is a diverse town with an big city feel that appeals to most urban kids. The list above of Western Washington alums is a bit deficient in terms of Seattle recruits. There is something about Seattle that makes people want to stay, and I am sorry to say, that Spokane, no matter how nice the folks are and how much less rain falls, is not as appealing to most urban kids, especially African Americans. I would conjecture that there is more than a grain of truth to cmj's speculation. It gets back to the old addage "recruit the kind of kids who want to be at Gonzaga" as opposed to the ones who prefer the big city lights. The Zags have not done badly with their recruiting. If the Zags make the final four a couple of times, things will change and kids will come for the basketball, whether they are city, suburban or rural kids. Right now our main claim to fame is yearly appearances in the dance and a supportive fan base, not to mention a lovely campus (which is what sold me). It is a shame that some of the Garfield and Franklin kids don't venture East, but hardly surprising. If there were a few of those kids who got "hooked" on fly fishing, there would be no problem in attracting them.

kclubfounder
03-17-2014, 04:34 PM
We'll go after the Seattle players that fit our model. It happens.

The OP's "friend" may have a son who doesn't quite make the grade.

ZagsObserver
03-17-2014, 04:40 PM
No offense to the original poster, but the hypothesis is really weak. One opinion among thousands means next to nothing. A lot of parents assume that an opinion/statement by their son or daughter is the universal opinion of all students or athletes. That, of course, is pure folly.

In other cases, because you stand zero chance of getting a scholarship at Gonzaga, you might be inclined to talk negatively about them. i call that the poor sport complex.

In other cases, the student might simply be a UW fan and dislike GU for whatever reason. This is a sample size of one and NOT reflective of high major athletes' opinions on GU.

All that to say, this is not worth giving any attention to.

Rangerzag
03-17-2014, 05:13 PM
It always brings a smile to read when someone writes "I (then indicate some inclusion in a group, like I grew up there or I moved here thirty years ago) and we are not arrogant."

willandi
03-17-2014, 05:37 PM
. If there were a few of those kids who got "hooked" on fly fishing, there would be no problem in attracting them.

Wouldn't they go to Montana? the Confluence of the Cark Fork (on campus) and the Bitteroot (a couple miles west), just east through the Hellgate, the Blackfoot joins the Clark Fork and a little farther east is Rock Creek...a blue ribbon trout stream. And, as an added bonus, the fish are safe to eat! Spokane area has a lot going for it, but if you moved east because you wanted to fly fish, you would't stop here.
Maybe even MSU for the Gallitan etc.

MDABE80
03-17-2014, 07:37 PM
It's the rah rah of perceived big time. Facts don't matter. I'd say if a kid doesn't mention GU on a list of places to play OR think UW is the be all and end all of college basketball, he really won't do well at GU. I've not understood how the Westside people look down their nose at E Washington. BUT they do. Meanwhile when it comes to HS players, if they don't think of GU as a leader, there's something wrong with the parents that aren't wising them up.
SPokane is limited. Having watched the city council meeting just now, I can say that. Kids who come to GU generally want to study and they like basketball. If they don't like studying or like playing basketball in a largely undistracted environment, they should look elsewhere. I won't mind.
Wcc is a major problem when it comes to some things. I suspect though that even if the league was high end, the attidues would be the same. Oh well..........

Bowser
03-18-2014, 01:20 PM
I guess this explains why, when it comes to arrogance, hubris and having a big chip on my shoulder, I am an Olympic Champion.

seacatfan
03-18-2014, 03:12 PM
Wouldn't they go to Montana? the Confluence of the Cark Fork (on campus) and the Bitteroot (a couple miles west), just east through the Hellgate, the Blackfoot joins the Clark Fork and a little farther east is Rock Creek...a blue ribbon trout stream. And, as an added bonus, the fish are safe to eat! Spokane area has a lot going for it, but if you moved east because you wanted to fly fish, you would't stop here.

I never ceased to be amazed how much country the Clark Fork runs thru. On road trips to Montana, it seems like I'm always driving alongside the Clark Fork, no matter where I am. Beautiful state. Washington ain't too bad either.

BTB
03-18-2014, 03:34 PM

We wouldn't want them, we only recruit kids from Oakland :-)