PDA

View Full Version : OT - (5) Michigan loses to Appalachian State

CDC84
09-01-2007, 02:39 PM
First Division 1-AA opponent to beat a ranked team in the history of college football, and they did it in the Big House.

I am not a college football historian, but this has to be one of the biggest upsets in the history of the game, and maybe the biggest ever since college football became a staple of television.

Unreal.

People talked about how Boise State's win over Oklahoma was a big one, but this upset is in another universe. This is a 1-AA school! The talent disparity between the two teams in mind boggling........

MickMick
09-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Appalachian State is the "USC" of division 2. I believe they are two time defending national champions. Sure....a huge upset, but Appalachian State "ain't chopped liver."

mtzaga
09-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Appy State looks poised to three-peat in the FCS division. The NCAA does not call it 1-AA anymore. Armanti Edwards and Kevin Richardson are great players.

BobZag
09-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Appalachian State is the "USC" of division 2. I believe they are two time defending national champions. Sure....a huge upset, but Appalachian State "ain't chopped liver."

Appalachian State is where Miss Teen South Carolina will be going. :doh:

CDC84
09-01-2007, 05:03 PM
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=162#s=162&f=2019&t=930581

It goes without saying that the meltdown is already happening at the various Michigan message boards. Fans are already calling for Carr's head. I've already heard a couple of TV analysts say he should resign or be fired.

Somehow I don't think that Duke fans will be calling for Coach K's head if defending D-2 national champ Barton College goes into Cameroon Indoor and blasts Duke in their basketball exhibition game this season.......

Birddog
09-01-2007, 05:07 PM
The talent disparity between the two teams in mind boggling...

Not really, they proved that today. Appalachian St HAS talent, they lack depth. I believe it's a difference of about 20 schollies between the 2 divisions. Great victory for the underdogs of the world.

Birddog

CDC84
09-01-2007, 05:34 PM
It'll be interesting to see how many NFL players emerge out of the top 25 players on App. State.

Birddog
09-01-2007, 06:02 PM
It'll be interesting to see how many NFL players emerge out of the top 25 players on App. State.

Are you implying that you have to be an NFL player to be talented? or is that just a question?

On a totally different note, does anybody else wish that Bob Davie was back in coaching? That guy wears me slick as an announcer/color guy.

Birddog

CDC84
09-01-2007, 06:27 PM
It's just a question.......although I am curious how many players may make it. The NFL certainly has plenty of players in it that didn't attend BCS schools.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AlvdKStvks1kKzDYVCoHC.M5nYcB?slug=dw-appstate090107&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

This game was supposed to be the prime example of what had gone wrong in money hungry college football. The powers that be had expanded the season a couple years back, adding an extra game so big schools could bring in cream-puff opponents while collecting millions in revenue.......The game was expected to be such a mismatch Las Vegas sports books refused to offer a betting line.

sonuvazag
09-01-2007, 06:48 PM
Did any Appalachian State starter get an offer from a national powerhouse program, I wonder. This is overacheivers vs. underachievers.

And regarding Duke basketball, their national title hopes don't depend on winning every game. Michigan had hopes this year and now cannot win a title because of Ap State.

Wow!

Zagpower
09-01-2007, 06:51 PM
Two and one half hours into their season, # 5 Michigan is eliminated from National Title Contention.

I bet the Michigan faithful will be clamoring for a playoff system.

CDC84
09-01-2007, 09:13 PM
And regarding Duke basketball, their national title hopes don't depend on winning every game. Michigan had hopes this year and now cannot win a title because of Ap State.

Which is why a co-worker of mine doesn't favor a college football playoff system. For him, the regular season, as currently structured with the BCS system, is the playoffs. He's willing to put up with the occasional hassle of teams splitting national titles and such if it means that the regular season is as exciting as it is now. If you have a playoff system that allows teams with even 2 losses to make up for their past trangressions, it will make the regular season less meaningful. It's a small margin for error, but ultimately college football teams don't play that many games compared to other sports.

Can't say I totally agree with the viewpoint, but it's an interesting take.

Rubbadub
09-01-2007, 09:23 PM
the regular season should be somewhat less meaningful, imo, and then be followed by a huge sensationalized playoff system. College football teams just dont get ANY game time opportunity for error and I think it's silly.

scrooner
09-01-2007, 11:00 PM
Appalachian State is Hot Hot Hot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVENWl8uBeg

LargeWilliam
09-02-2007, 04:37 AM
So Friday I get an e-mail from my nephew in North Carolina. He and my neice both graduated from App and he went back to get his MBA. He is also a life-long Wake Forest fan.
His e-mail tells me how ready he is for football to start and that App will knock off Michigan and Wake will take BC. I replied "I know you live on Tobacco Road but you really need to lay off the wacky tabackey."
I am considering a change of e-mail address, having my phone disconnected and moving sans forwarding address.... Luckily for me his e-mail was from work and I believe my reply hit after he had departed Friday afternoon. I'm sure I will have a full in-box in the a.m.
Whoda thunk it?
But at least Wake didn't let me down...

RenoZag
09-02-2007, 08:18 AM
Appalachian State is where Miss Teen South Carolina will be going. :doh:

Hope she has a map to find it

RenoZag
09-02-2007, 08:20 AM

I'll bet the Michigan faithful are clamoring for Lloyd Carr's head on a pike. . .

RenoZag
09-02-2007, 08:22 AM

CDC, there was a graphic on ESPN this morning: IIRC, it showed APP as having sent 8 players in its history to the NFL. . .Big Blue had sent something like 260. . .

hondo46
09-02-2007, 08:39 AM
Two and one half hours into their season, # 5 Michigan is eliminated from National Title Contention.

"When kings no longer win the game-then the rules will change"

LynetteG
09-02-2007, 10:42 AM
I'll bet the Michigan faithful are clamoring for Lloyd Carr's head on a pike. . .

You KNOW they are!!!!! This was UNREAL. Sis and the neph were there, part of his unoffical visit, hehe. Part of history, I tease her. Between that game and their sorely-needing-updates-NOW basketball facility, well... we shall see!

Btw, UM is my alma mater and two of my 3 sis' alma mater. Other sis went to the 'other' Michigan school, MSU (and so did my husband).

MickMick
09-02-2007, 10:56 AM
After watching the Wisconsin Badgers move the ball at will against WSU, I have to believe they will run up the score against Michigan as well.

a13coach
09-02-2007, 04:29 PM
"When kings no longer win the game-then the rules will change"

Hondo speaks words of truth and wisdom. Let's see how many BCS 1A schools schedule 1-AA in the coming years.

zagster318
09-02-2007, 04:55 PM

They could always drop down to 1-AA!:D

drnoe
09-02-2007, 08:49 PM

Mick--Appy St. certainly "ain't chopped liver." Did you notice the great team speed they have? First of all, Michigan was completely overrated, despite the fact they were supposed to have a vastly improved defense. I think it's back to the blackboard on that one. It's really hard to blast an allegedly top 5 program for losing to a Div. I-AA team at home, while at the same time not giving due credit to Appy St. for being the very good team that they are. They are clearly better than a whole host of D-I teams. The folks who are blasting Michigan for losing yesterday are correct, but they should also give Appy St. credit for having great team speed and for coming from behind to win. They played like a poised D-1 team yesterday.

Despite the historical significance of Appy State's big win yesterday, almost lost in the shuffle was Notre Dame's complete ineptness in being thoroughly trounced by GA Tech. They clearly would have lost to Appy St. yesterday too! Looks like Jimmy Clausen will soon be the starter, if not as soon as their next game. If they expect to win very many games this year, the Irish need to throw the ball. Charlie Weis has his work cut out for him this year if he wants to live up to that "genius" label that many in the media are guilty of giving him.

MickMick
09-02-2007, 09:18 PM
Mick--Appy St. certainly "ain't chopped liver." Did you notice the great team speed they have? First of all, Michigan was completely overrated, despite the fact they were supposed to have a vastly improved defense. I think it's back to the blackboard on that one. It's really hard to blast an allegedly top 5 program for losing to a Div. I-AA team at home, while at the same time not giving due credit to Appy St. for being the very good team that they are. They are clearly better than a whole host of D-I teams. The folks who are blasting Michigan for losing yesterday are correct, but they should also give Appy St. credit for having great team speed and for coming from behind to win. They played like a poised D-1 team yesterday.

Despite the historical significance of Appy State's big win yesterday, almost lost in the shuffle was Notre Dame's complete ineptness in being thoroughly trounced by GA Tech. They clearly would have lost to Appy St. yesterday too! Looks like Jimmy Clausen will soon be the starter, if not as soon as their next game. If they expect to win very many games this year, the Irish need to throw the ball. Charlie Weis has his work cut out for him this year if he wants to live up to that "genius" label that many in the media are guilty of giving him.

I agree with you. I think this is more of a case of Appalachian State being good as opposed to Michigan being really bad. I think Appalachian State could beat many division one schools.

Having said that, Michigan's defense was completely exposed. They can't cover the middle of the field. They are inept at covering multiple reciever sets. Lord knows what a Run 'n' Shoot school like Hawaii would do to them.

The Michigan quarterback, Henne (a 4 year starter) played like a wide-eyed freshman. They do have a stud running back...forget his name but one of the best in the nation.

The Big-10 title looks like it will go to the Wisconsin Badgers

lothar98zag
09-03-2007, 01:21 PM
...Sis and the neph were there, part of his unoffical visit...

How about that...

Birddog
09-03-2007, 04:49 PM
Lost in all the hoopla over App St beating Mich. is the fact that Texas barely beat mighty Arkansas St. They were outplayed statistically, but won, which is not that unusual, but come on Ark St has been a perrenial cupcake.

Birddog

MickMick
09-03-2007, 05:53 PM
It is simple math really.

The rate of Division 1 capable players is growing at a much faster rate than the number of Division 1 schools.

The rate of elite players is growing at a faster rate than the number of elite schools

That goes for all NCAA sports.

Birddog
09-03-2007, 06:12 PM
The rate of Division 1 capable players is growing at a much faster rate than the number of Division 1 schools.

I don't think most coaches would agree with that statement. I think the number of so called "skill" players is growing some, and there is no doubt that kids look for playing time now more than ever and that affects their school choice. The real difference between schools is the number of big quick skilled linemen. There is a dearth of those kinds of players in many schools. Take a look at the WAC and MAC for instance.

Birddog

MickMick
09-03-2007, 06:17 PM
hmmmm.

How many division 1 schools are there?

How many were there 25 years ago?

In that time, the US population has grown from 200 million to 300 million.

The number of human bodys are multiplying at a much faster rate than the number of Division 1 schools.

Easy math

drnoe
09-04-2007, 11:23 AM
I agree with you. I think this is more of a case of Appalachian State being good as opposed to Michigan being really bad. I think Appalachian State could beat many division one schools.

Having said that, Michigan's defense was completely exposed. They can't cover the middle of the field. They are inept at covering multiple reciever sets. Lord knows what a Run 'n' Shoot school like Hawaii would do to them.

The Michigan quarterback, Henne (a 4 year starter) played like a wide-eyed freshman. They do have a stud running back...forget his name but one of the best in the nation.

The Big-10 title looks like it will go to the Wisconsin Badgers

Gotta hand it to Appy.St. for not looking past Michigan to their next opponent on the schedule (Lenoir Rhyne). Rumor has it that Carr plans to upgrade next year's schedule by opening up on the road against U of Dayton and he's trying to lock in a home opener in '09 against Mt. Union.