PDA

View Full Version : why not "old v. new" Zags?

maineblackbear
09-01-2007, 12:46 PM
Maine does a blue-white hockey game every year where the 'current team' (its in the summer so most of the players show, but some do not) plays its alumni (Maine's hockey team has a lot of W's under its belt so alum includes many NHL players[ Kariya, Penner, Dimotrakas, etc], but also players from the old days when Maine was a club sport- so we have a 76 year old guy who shows up every year (got an assist last year and the crowd went nuts!)

Anyway-- as a fund-raiser--could we get GU alum to play current GU squad?

Many concerns regarding schedule conflicts, possible injuries--but Casey Calvary posting up Josh? I would pay a lot to see that....

so why don't we do this? (Come on, you know its a cool idea- Stockton running the team with Frahm, Santangelo, Errol, Adam, Calvary) versus this or next year's team?

Again-- I would pay a lot to see that. maineblackbear

Zagpower
09-01-2007, 01:02 PM
I'm pretty sure that would be against NCAA rules. I don't see current Zags playing in any of the charity hoop games around here even though they are in the stands watching. Must be a reason. Anyone?

maineblackbear
09-01-2007, 01:13 PM
OKAY-- ANSWER- I just spoke to Karen Marsters of the U Maine office and she has told me that NCAA regulations prohibit CURRENT scholarship players from participating in these games- the UMaine games are between alumni versus alumni (mostly recently graduated)- this rule was chnaged a few years ago to prevent exactly the scenario I was postulating.

SO, my idea was a good one, but prohibited.

Still, I would love to see an alum game, but that is not nearly as cool an idea.. sorry for wasting your reading time--back to the Wisconsin-WSU football game... Go Cougs! (for those of you wondering I am a Zag alum '98 but currently attending graduate school at Maine).

edited because I am an idiot. mbb

BobZag
09-01-2007, 03:09 PM
With Hondo playing PF, the new guys wouldn't stand a chance.

GonzagaGurl08
09-01-2007, 03:16 PM
With Hondo playing PF, the new guys wouldn't stand a chance.

BZ, the newbies would have no chance for sure.

saintzag
09-01-2007, 06:12 PM
Way back we had annual varsity v alumni games in baseball apparently there was nothing wrong with ncaa rules as this continued at least to 1999.Probably still ok.Love to see a bb alum game . Especially against recent grads.

Zagpower
09-01-2007, 06:29 PM
I'm guessing a scrimmage would be fine......just not a fund raiser.

soonerterp
09-01-2007, 07:24 PM
There is always an alumni game at Maryland during their Midnight Madness (now called Maryland Madness thing), but no current players are involved.

Rubbadub
09-01-2007, 07:37 PM
They should just do an alumni vs players game without any revenue being made at all as something to pump up the faithful.

VinnyZag
09-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Those games were in-season exhibitions, and I believe the 'Old Dogs' teams were registered AAU outfits ... who only played one game a year. I'm not sure if NCAA teams are allowed to play AAU teams any more. I haven't seen Athletes In Action in any sports section agate recently.