PDA

View Full Version : Free open-to-the-public practice?

UKWildcatsFan
03-16-2014, 11:44 AM
Will there be a free open-to-the-public type practice for teams that get placed in Spokane? I remember a couple years ago all the teams participated in this type of thing on the day before the tournament games I think. But when I went to the Gonzaga games in Salt Lake City last year I don't remember hearing anything about it, however I did drive down on the day it would have been held.

Does anyone know if this will be happening for the Spokane games this year?

Thanks!

sittingon50
03-16-2014, 11:55 AM
Pretty sure it's mandated at all sites for all teams. These are generally vanilla type practices, don't really show anything.

The real practices normally happen at nearby college or HS gyms.

TravelinZag
03-16-2014, 11:55 AM
Understand the appeal to the fans. However, if I were a coach traveling (probably some distance) to play NCAA tournament games in Spokane, I'd likely consider whether an open practice would help me hang onto my job. Then I'd call Mark Few and beg him to use the Kennel or suggest other venues where the team could prepare in private. Most fans place more of a premium of winning NCAA games than on pleasing the fans in the host city. Go figure!

Jazzgirl_127
03-16-2014, 01:10 PM
I would keep an eye on your arena's website and/or facebook page. When the Zags played in Pittsburgh 2 years ago, I got to go to their practice and I saw it listed on Consol Energy Center's website (I don't think they listed who would be practicing at what time until the day of though). I think each team was only slated a half hour, so I'm sure they either had a secondary practice site or a longer private time to have the gym to themselves.

zagzealot
03-17-2014, 11:00 AM
Here's the practice schedule...

WEDNESDAY PRACTICES (OPEN TO MEDIA & PUBLIC):
Noon-12:40 pm - Harvard
12:45-1:25 pm - Delaware
1:30-2:10 pm - Cincinnati
2:15-2:55 pm - Michigan State
4:25-5:05 pm - Oklahoma
5:10-5:50 pm - San Diego State
5:55-6:35 pm - North Dakota State
6:40-7:20 pm - New Mexico State

I also heard that Oklahoma and Harvard are practicing at GPrep on Wednesday during school hours. Closed practice i would assume. I wonder what the other teams are doing for their closed practices?

WBM
03-17-2014, 12:06 PM
Out of respect for Izzo in general, and for NM State playing us this season, maybe those two would practice in the Kennel and/or Martin Centre?

ZagMania
03-17-2014, 12:26 PM
Back a few years ago now when they were placed in Buffalo the team actually practiced in the same gym at my school where I would play pickup all the time. One of the assistant coaches at our school found out they were practicing there and filled me in, but I was out of town for an interview. My ex-girlfriend ran there and waited outside, got Matt Bouldin and Bol Kong's autograph for me. I was giddy to know they were shooting on the same hoops I did.