PDA

View Full Version : I'm most eager to watch NIT Selection Show!

BobZag
03-16-2014, 09:30 AM
Yeah, baby! At 5:30 tonight on ESPN. This is the tourney I covet the most and hope my Zags can achieve one day.

:espn:

Hoopaholic
03-16-2014, 09:36 AM
The "best" team in the WCC is on the bubble for this "great" tournament (wonder how the USF fans and staff are feeling this afternoon)......but they can also pay for a few more games if they are not selected today, so they have options

GoZags
03-16-2014, 10:14 AM
I hope they get the nod today.

Sure, it's fun to throw Rex's comments that his guys were the best team in Vegas back at them after their narrow semi-final overtime loss to BYU ... but the fact of the matter is they are a good team, and in my opinion deserving of an NIT bid.

Hoopaholic
03-16-2014, 10:37 AM
I hope they get the nod today.

Sure, it's fun to throw Rex's comments that his guys were the best team in Vegas back at them after their narrow semi-final overtime loss to BYU ... but the fact of the matter is they are a good team, and in my opinion deserving of an NIT bid.

it would be good for the conference, especially with st mary's in ......so from that perspective I would like to see it but dont think they have enough to get it over some other big name programs unfortunately

willandi
03-16-2014, 10:39 AM
Think the Huskies get in, or are they CBI bound...or another quality tournament?

MTZag03
03-16-2014, 10:39 AM
As fun as it can be to needle USF fans, I really hope they get a nod and do very well. Their success is a good thing for us.

Really the reason I don't like them is the 3 straight years of them storming the court at USF. I can even tolerate Rexy, but court storming gets to me.

Hoopaholic
03-16-2014, 10:41 AM
Think the Huskies get in, or are they CBI bound...or another quality tournament?

CBI if they want to pony up public money to play

Zag365
03-16-2014, 12:25 PM
CBI if they want to pony up public money to play

When Huskies washed out of Pac-12 tournament to Utah, the consensus was no NIT and that school would not pay to play in the CBI.

willandi
03-16-2014, 12:43 PM
When Huskies washed out of Pac-12 tournament to Utah, the consensus was no NIT and that school would not pay to play in the CBI.

They are going to deny all those future NBA stars the opportunity to experience post-season play?
WOW!!!

ZagaZags
03-16-2014, 12:47 PM

Is it time for Romar to go?

sullyzag66
03-16-2014, 01:01 PM
I'm old enough to remember when the NIT was THE tournament.

Sent from my iPhone

Oregonzagnut
03-16-2014, 01:12 PM

Yes.

Mantua
03-16-2014, 01:15 PM
The CBSS pre-selection show gave BYU a thumbs down because of Collingsworth's injury.

Hoopaholic
03-16-2014, 01:30 PM
The CBSS pre-selection show gave BYU a thumbs down because of Collingsworth's injury.

But the person in charge said differently on a show this morning. Will be interesting

willandi
03-16-2014, 01:32 PM
I brought up on ESPN's Bubble Watch the fact that there are 32 auto bids, and they had an additional 30 locks. That left 6 spots for bubble teams. They also had 3 more 'should be in' teams, leaving 3 actual spots up for grabs. With Collinsworth out, I don't know that BYU gets one of those 3 spots. Only reason they might is because of our Commish. I hope the bone they throw Jaime is for Gonzaga to get a better seed or better location than to have a hobbled BYU receive a gratuitous spot.

CdAZagFan
03-16-2014, 01:38 PM
I keep wondering if GU had lost that title game, if they would have been in that Last 4 In spot for the last week and we would have been sweating bullets...

ZagaZags
03-16-2014, 01:40 PM
I keep wondering if GU had lost that title game, if they would have been in that Last 4 In spot for the last week and we would have been sweating bullets...

Nope.

BobZag
03-16-2014, 01:46 PM
Want to talk like an Irishman? Try saying: "Whale Oil Beef Hooked" quickly.

basketballzag
03-16-2014, 01:52 PM

Absolutely NOT. Keep Romar at Washington for the next twenty years. Why would you want UW to have someone competent at the helm? They need to give him another 10 year extension and lofty pay raise. Romar is the Adolph Rupp of the West Coast.

zag buddy
03-16-2014, 05:01 PM
San Fran a 4 seed, play on Wed. at 7 I bllieve (not sure EST or PST

gu03alum
03-16-2014, 05:29 PM
Want to talk like an Irishman? Try saying: "Whale Oil Beef Hooked" quickly.

That was fun!

KStyles
03-16-2014, 05:33 PM
San Fran a 4 seed, play on Wed. at 7 I bllieve (not sure EST or PST

7, PDT

MDABE80
03-16-2014, 06:23 PM
Yeah, baby! At 5:30 tonight on ESPN. This is the tourney I covet the most and hope my Zags can achieve one day.

:espn:
Didn't know there was one..

BobZag
03-16-2014, 06:32 PM
Pac-12 has 6 in postseason.
WCC has 4.

That's not bad. CBI and the other one don't count.

I've always liked the NIT, if you're a 1 or 2 seed you get to go to your homecourt and watch your team in person a couple more times. I've said it in years past, I would not mind being in the NIT. It's still a quality tourney, imo.

exclusivelee
03-16-2014, 06:39 PM
U-Dub wont play in the postseason after not getting a bid to the NIT

They think they are too good for the CBI

seacatfan
03-16-2014, 08:59 PM
Pac-12 has 6 in postseason.
WCC has 4.

That's not bad. CBI and the other one don't count.

I've always liked the NIT, if you're a 1 or 2 seed you get to go to your homecourt and watch your team in person a couple more times. I've said it in years past, I would not mind being in the NIT. It's still a quality tourney, imo.

Pac 12 got 6 in the Big Dance and 2 more in the NIT.

seacatfan
03-16-2014, 09:01 PM
Contrast that with the Mountain West. Only 2 in the NCAA Tourney and I believe none in the NIT. That conference has fallen off quickly. Ouch for Rice and Boise St. Went from the Big Dance last year to nothing this year. UNLV conspicuously missing from both as well.

seacatfan
03-16-2014, 09:03 PM
As odd as it seems, it's just as hard to get into the NIT as the NCAA, if not harder. Only 32 in the field compared to 68. Lots of auto bids for regular season conference champions who didn't win their conference tourney and got passed over by the NCAA Tourney. Not many at large spots available and lots of teams to consider.

MJ777
03-16-2014, 09:04 PM
Contrast that with the Mountain West. Only 2 in the NCAA Tourney and I believe none in the NIT. That conference has fallen off quickly. Ouch for Rice and Boise St. Went from the Big Dance last year to nothing this year. UNLV conspicuously missing from both as well.

Strange that they wouldn't want BSU to have a home game. I would think they would draw a decent crowd.

seacatfan
03-16-2014, 09:08 PM
Strange that they wouldn't want BSU to have a home game. I would think they would draw a decent crowd.

The NIT doesn't get analyzed, dissected and second guessed the way the other tourney does, but it's fairly surprising that both St. Marys and USF got in and neither Mountain West team did.

MJ777
03-16-2014, 09:36 PM
The NIT doesn't get analyzed, dissected and second guessed the way the other tourney does, but it's fairly surprising that both St. Marys and USF got in and neither Mountain West team did.

True. I watched the BSU v. New Mexico game and that was a fun game to watch. I thought UNM would be gassed the next day and lose to SDSU.

seacatfan
03-16-2014, 09:41 PM
I watched the UNM-SDSU game off and on. Kinda scrappy and low scoring. The Lobos were pulling away, then SD St. had a furious rally to briefly grab the lead. All Lobos the last minute or so. Their power forward Bairstow went from being a role player his whole career to being a star as a Sr.