PDA

View Full Version : Silas Melson

Hogan
03-15-2014, 01:41 PM
I just spoke with a friend of mine who has been a long time high school basketball coach near Portland about Silas Melson. Not much new, but he does confirm what others have reported. He is the best player in Oregon and clearly a PAC 12 calibre player.He does it all, pass, score, penetrate, and he is a good shooter. He is a very good athlete,could play the point, but is more of a two guard. What separates him from other very good players from Jefferson is his commitment and desire to play defense. My friend described a game he watched where Jefferson played West Lynn, the top ranked team in the State. West Lynn had a very good point guard. Silas guarded him, Silas had over 30 and held the West Lynn player to 8.On top of of all this he is described as a very good kid and good student. The future looks bright indeed.

Hoopaholic
03-15-2014, 02:02 PM
EXTREMELY excited to see him on the court...will add a very very big offensive output off the bench

Virginia Zags Fan
03-15-2014, 02:04 PM
Awesome report! Thanks. GU has been blessed to have not only fine student athletes, but upstanding kids that go on to be great folks in the community. It sounds like young Mr Melson will fit that mold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75Zag
03-15-2014, 02:15 PM
I know it is considered "bad form" to repost yourself across multiple threads, but here is a post I made a little while ago on the thread regarding 2014-1015 starters:

I doubt he will start at the beginning of the year, but if Few goes with raw talent vs. seniority (which I doubt), Melson might be a consideration as a late season starter. In the Oregon State BB tournament Silas Melson had a game-high 21 points, 10 rebounds and six assists as the Jefferson Democrats beat West Albany.

I am not a huge fan of the AAU system because of the rampant disregard of NCAA rules regarding player finances by a few coaches and many of the "independent advisors" to high level AAU players, but Melson played his AAU ball for ICP (Inner City Players) in Portland. They run a clean and excellent program. Last I checked, ICP had mandatory study hall one or two mornings a week at an amazingly early hour - to try and insure that their players have both the athletic and academic skills to move to a higher level. Looking forward to watching Melson play at GU

Go Bulldogs!

ZagaZags
03-15-2014, 03:03 PM
Bad form? Damn I repost myself all the time. I would say good form. :)

ZagaZags
03-15-2014, 03:04 PM
Bad form? Damn I repost myself all the time. I would say good form. :)

+1

zag67
03-15-2014, 04:46 PM
Not bad form. Go for it. Some people may miss it on the other post.

BobZag
03-15-2014, 05:22 PM
Thanks for passing along what your friend said, Hogan. Good to hear. Have had a positive vibe for quite a while about Silas.

Booster
03-15-2014, 05:31 PM
The game above had Tommy Lloyd in the stands scouting West Linn guard, sophomore Peyton Pritchard. Obviously, Melson was already signed. Expect very good minutes from Mr Melson next year.

VinnyZag
03-15-2014, 05:35 PM
An Oregonian story that was posted earlier in another thread echoes what your friend had to say about Melson's defense. To me, that's the exciting part. Next year's team will have lots of guys who can score ... Having another good perimeter defender will be critical.

zag67
03-15-2014, 05:42 PM
Yes, having Bell, Dranginis, and now Melson we would have three solid on ball defenders.

scrooner
03-15-2014, 10:15 PM
Melson leads team to state title, with only 6 active players on their roster for the championship game. 9 of 15 for 24 points.

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/649693779963320649/jefferson-wins-back-to-back-state-titles-with-a-69-64-victory-over-churchill-5a-oregon-boys-basketball-state-tournament-recap/

cair3
03-15-2014, 11:04 PM
Saw the state title game tonight. Melson's team was up 20 at half but only 4 after the third quarter. They won by 4 or 5.

Melson displayed much more of an offensive game than defensive intensity or prowess. They only had 6 players and sat in a zone.

There is no shot clock... And the other team sent doubles at him to make him give the ball up. It was weird. I expect it may take some adjusting to get used to playing in a efficient offensive system.

His talent and BBall Iq/savvy is way way high. Definitely had composure got big NCAA moments. His shot is silky, soft, and he gets great lift (Jamal Crawford like).

Not NBA shooting guard size but NBA shooting guard talent. Will become a go to player in 2-3 years. Scorer with poise and passing ability, can hit a pull up mid range. Soft touch. Steven Gray's career path with less size and more creativity.

DixieZag
03-16-2014, 12:31 AM
Two small observations: We are so lucky that Few recruits such good, well rounded kids. But, it doesn't end there. It takes a good, mature, kid to look at programs like UW or UO and say "yeah, the lights are awfully bright there and it is the PAC, but that team in Spokane felt like family and they always win, it's a really good school, I think I'll be a Zag" -- Just noting that first, Few recruits only the good ones and then they almost self-select that the best of the best.

As to Melson particular - This sure sounds like one of the ones where Few gets in early, prior to really really blowing up and out recruits the other usual suspect. Maynard tells me UO wasn't in the picture b/c they are full at that position, but I have to wonder if there were not lots of PAC or East coast schools that would have loved to recruited him had they known what he was evolving into this year.

Question: If Melson wins POY in Oregon, does that mean that next year, we'll have the four or five state POY next year? Bell (WA), Wiltjer (Or), Melson (Or), Drainginis (ID) and I can't recall if Perkins was POY in Colo Jr year before going to WV. What about Edwards? Was he MT? I did quick google searches for both and an obvious answer didn't pop up.

fedwayzag
03-16-2014, 06:15 PM
Our last Oregon player of the year I was pretty good as I recall.