PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga/KHQ Needs to License Canadian TV Broadcasting Rights

CB4
03-14-2014, 07:02 PM
Gonzaga/KHQ should look at licensing TV broadcasting rights to one of the following: Global, Sportsnet, TSN, or CTV. The Canadian broadcast would simply be a simulcast of games covered by KHQ and their broadcasting team.

All KHQ games are presently available in some parts of BC and Alberta that have KHQ on their regular cable line up. However, not all Canadian households get these games. This is why there's great opportunity expanding broadcast rights into Canada, a country with the population of California.

My recommendation would be to grant these rights to a Canadian network (say 5-10 select KHQ games per season) at a relatively low cost for a trial period of two years.

The benefits of such a deal would be tremendous for the Gonzaga program:

Recruiting advantages
- Canadian basketball is taking off – recruiting advantage
- Gonzaga would be one of the only teams frequently showcased in the Canadian market

Sales opportunities
- Increased merchandise sales
- Potential for big Canadian TV contract in the future (if trial period goes well)

Canadian network need for fresh sports content
- Gonzaga history of having a number of Canadian players on the team
- Canadian sports networks lack diversity of content (Canadian NHL games, Raptors, Blue Jays, curling, lots of poker)
- Low cost of trial period might be enticing for networks

I’ve never heard this idea aired before. I thought I’d put it out there considering there are many “connected” members on this board.

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-14-2014, 07:32 PM
The funny thing is that TSN aired every single Kansas Jayhawks game nationally in Canada this year.
Bet that worked wonders for marketing their program.

CB4
03-14-2014, 08:53 PM
The funny thing is that TSN aired every single Kansas Jayhawks game nationally in Canada this year.
Bet that worked wonders for marketing their program.

Perhaps some of Gonzaga's ESPN games could be aired on TSN and its KHQ games on Global or another network.

bigblahla
03-15-2014, 06:57 AM
Gonzaga/KHQ should look at licensing TV broadcasting rights to one of the following: Global, Sportsnet, TSN, or CTV. The Canadian broadcast would simply be a simulcast of games covered by KHQ and their broadcasting team.

All KHQ games are presently available in some parts of BC and Alberta that have KHQ on their regular cable line up. However, not all Canadian households get these games. This is why there's great opportunity expanding broadcast rights into Canada, a country with the population of California.

My recommendation would be to grant these rights to a Canadian network (say 5-10 select KHQ games per season) at a relatively low cost for a trial period of two years.

The benefits of such a deal would be tremendous for the Gonzaga program:

Recruiting advantages
- Canadian basketball is taking off – recruiting advantage
- Gonzaga would be one of the only teams frequently showcased in the Canadian market

Sales opportunities
- Increased merchandise sales
- Potential for big Canadian TV contract in the future (if trial period goes well)

Canadian network need for fresh sports content
- Gonzaga history of having a number of Canadian players on the team
- Canadian sports networks lack diversity of content (Canadian NHL games, Raptors, Blue Jays, curling, lots of poker)
- Low cost of trial period might be enticing for networks

I’ve never heard this idea aired before. I thought I’d put it out there considering there are many “connected” members on this board.

Love it! Great Idea......might think about Poland and Lithuania also....why not.

Go!! Zags!!!

75Zag
03-15-2014, 07:58 AM
As a big fan of Canadian NHL teams I love cross-border licensing agreements, but they are more complicated than it sounds. I am pretty sure that there are a few board posters who have specific knowledge of the GU licensing agreements and they could probably provide accurate information on this topic. My educated guess is that out-of-market licensing rights for GU games are controlled by the WCC and not by GU/KHQ.

Go Bulldogs!

CB4
03-15-2014, 02:14 PM
As a big fan of Canadian NHL teams I love cross-border licensing agreements, but they are more complicated than it sounds. I am pretty sure that there are a few board posters who have specific knowledge of the GU licensing agreements and they could probably provide accurate information on this topic. My educated guess is that out-of-market licensing rights for GU games are controlled by the WCC and not by GU/KHQ.

Go Bulldogs!

Likely true w/ respect to Gonzaga's KHQ games, which I believed are aired on WCC pay per viewing internet stream. Even so, I think the WCC, esp. w/ new commish, would welcome the idea of Canadian broadcasting. Afterall, all other WCC teams would get Canadian exposure by playing against the Zags.

But, I think Gonzaga's ESPN games have few restrictions. TSN is partially owned by ESPN and I believe Gonzaga's contract with ESPN is independent of the WCC. Below is TSN's news release for Kansas games. Check the comments. There's a desire for more college bball in Canada.

http://www.tsn.ca/ncaa/story/?id=435344