PDA

View Full Version : What if we lost Tommy Lloyd?

MTZag03
03-13-2014, 02:50 PM
I was reading another post and someone mentioned offhand Lloyd for the WSU job. That thought scares me. He has done so much with the Euro recruiting that I think he might be harder to compensate for. I know we have weathered the loss of Grier and Rice fairly well, but I just see Tommy differently. I think he brings a lot to the games and is so crucial for recruiting.

What is the state of our coaching staff outside of Few? We've got Daniels, Michaelson, and Ammo. Who else? After we win the national championship this year if Tommy or Donny moved on do you guys think we are still in okay shape? What about our Euro pipeline, is that secure?

Just something new to drivel about while we obsess over other teams and Sabonis for the next few days.

Mantua
03-13-2014, 02:54 PM
What a miserable thought. I'm counting on Tommy having better sense.

Oregonzagnut
03-13-2014, 03:00 PM
How did we fare after Rice, Grier, and Giacoletti left Gonzaga? Just fine IMO. Losing one guy every 2-3 years isn't as bad as losing 2-3 all in one year. Few has done a great job of maintaining continuity and Lloyd is one of the last original guys. However continuity is still pretty solid with most of our assistants because they all played under Few and Lloyd. Daniels and Lloyd could obviously head coach anywhere and probably will someday.

Anyone know what Lloyds salary is? Daniels?

TBH, Lloyd may have already committed to go where ever Few goes. Or stays.

ZagMan in Philly
03-13-2014, 03:00 PM
I often wonder if Tommy would want to be a head coach elsewhere, he is certainly ready. I hope he will always be here, and take over the reign one day.

ZagnetitForce
03-13-2014, 03:05 PM
Hernandez also a coach. Lloyd I believe has been promised Head Coach when/if Few leaves I believe.

GoZags
03-13-2014, 03:06 PM
This topic isn't on the list of 10,000 things I'm worried about (or should be worried about).

WBM
03-13-2014, 03:22 PM
Lloyd I believe has been promised Head Coach when/if Few leaves I believe.

CBS Sports in July 2012: Mark Few confirms Tommy Lloyd is Gonzaga's coach-in-waiting (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/19668863/gonzaga-assistant-tommy-lloyd-coachinwaiting)

"I love it at Gonzaga," Few said. "I'm just happy we've been able to have a plan in place -- and Tommy will do a terrific job once I decide to retire."

BobZag
03-13-2014, 03:34 PM
I was reading another post and someone mentioned offhand Lloyd for the WSU job. That thought scares me. He has done so much with the Euro recruiting that I think he might be harder to compensate for. I know we have weathered the loss of Grier and Rice fairly well, but I just see Tommy differently. I think he brings a lot to the games and is so crucial for recruiting.

What is the state of our coaching staff outside of Few? We've got Daniels, Michaelson, and Ammo. Who else? After we win the national championship this year if Tommy or Donny moved on do you guys think we are still in okay shape? What about our Euro pipeline, is that secure?

Just something new to drivel about while we obsess over other teams and Sabonis for the next few days.

As Humphrey Bogart says in The Maltese Falcon, "Don't be a sap." As for me, I really don't have a slick line. But if I did, I'd plagiarize Bogey.

maynard g krebs
03-13-2014, 04:20 PM
The WSU job has built in disadvantages v their league. Probably the hardest place to win in the pac. Given Leach, I bet they go for a Bruce Pearl/Larry Eustachy type hire, or Sombreroman as some have suggested.

Tommy Lloyd isn't in a position to risk a potential career suicide like that. Seems likely if he leaves GU is would be for a better job than WSU.

75Zag
03-13-2014, 07:14 PM
I was under the impression that "promises were made" by GU's AD to Lloyd in order to keep him @ GU until Few retires or dies, at which time Lloyd will succeed to the throne. Not a lot of people would be patient enough to wait 20 years for their next promotion but perhaps Lloyd is. He seems well qualified for the WSU job or any number of small conference jobs. I am betting the WSU AD will want a higher profile name as coach. Good luck to Coach Lloyd.

Go Bulldogs!

snebzag
03-13-2014, 07:43 PM
Watching the WCC tourney, I noticed Coach Few constantly in Brian Michaelsons ear. Constantly. Tommy doesn't have that much time. Brian does. I predict Tommy will move on and Brian will replace Coach Few in about oh uh, uh many years from now. yea, many years from now. You heard it hear first. Brian Michaelson the next coach of the Gonzaga Bulldogs............2025l

77Zag
03-13-2014, 07:52 PM
According to some SDU folks in Vegas -- Grier will be back at GU next season. Just fodder I'm sure.

zag67
03-13-2014, 08:10 PM
I hope you are wrong and Grier keeps his job, but if not he would again be a great addition.

seacatfan
03-13-2014, 08:26 PM
The WSU job has built in disadvantages v their league. Probably the hardest place to win in the pac. Given Leach, I bet they go for a Bruce Pearl/Larry Eustachy type hire, or Sombreroman as some have suggested.

Bobby Knight's kid got ousted from Lamar. Granted he's not a very good coach but he's sort of a big name, right?