PDA

View Full Version : OT: Coaching Carousel

SWZag
03-13-2014, 09:16 AM
Threads have already been started up about LMU's Good and Wazzu's Bone, but the coaching carousel is in full swing.

College Basketball Hirings and firings: 2014 college basketball coaching changes (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24466354/hirings-and-firings-2014-college-basketball-coaching-changes)

2014 College Basketball Coaching Carousel Tracker (http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2014/3/12/5487636/college-basketball-coach-tracker-2014-ncaa)

Biggest school thus far is Tony Barbee Auburn.

Pat Knight is also out at Lamar.

seacatfan
03-13-2014, 08:15 PM
Threads have already been started up about LMU's Good and Wazzu's Bone, but the coaching carousel is in full swing.

College Basketball Hirings and firings: 2014 college basketball coaching changes (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24466354/hirings-and-firings-2014-college-basketball-coaching-changes)

2014 College Basketball Coaching Carousel Tracker (http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2014/3/12/5487636/college-basketball-coach-tracker-2014-ncaa)

Biggest school thus far is Tony Barbee Auburn.

Pat Knight is also out at Lamar.

Nepotism and having a famous daddy doesn't make you a good coach. Knight might have a hard time getting another job at the DI level.

Most of those jobs are not particularly desirable. I'm sure some bigger schools will be making coaching changes in the coming weeks. Auburn is kinda tough. You can definitely win there, they used to have a good program, but it's been a long time. Football school in a football conference and pretty hard to gain ground on Kentucky and Florida, let alone Tennessee, Mizzou, Arkansas, Georgia, etc. Wouldn't be surprised if Alabama is looking for a new coach soon as well, Anthony Grant has been a disappointment.

SWZag
03-18-2014, 09:43 AM
Looks like Auburn has hired Bruce Pearl (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-03-18/bruce-pearl-considering-auburn-job-report-tony-barbee-fired-tennessee-show-cause-ncaa). We'll probably see Auburn be competitive within the next few years.

thespywhozaggedme
03-18-2014, 10:14 AM
Looks like Auburn has hired Bruce Pearl (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-03-18/bruce-pearl-considering-auburn-job-report-tony-barbee-fired-tennessee-show-cause-ncaa). We'll probably see Auburn be competitive and under sanctions within the next few years.

Fixed it for accuracy.

SWZag
03-18-2014, 10:15 AM
Fixed it for accuracy.

haha, truth in that.

Birddog
03-18-2014, 11:54 AM
Looks like Auburn has hired Bruce Pearl (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-03-18/bruce-pearl-considering-auburn-job-report-tony-barbee-fired-tennessee-show-cause-ncaa). We'll probably see Auburn be competitive within the next few years.
A booster has already procured a member ship in this exclusive club for Bruce.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tantastic+Tanning/@32.622342,-85.450512,2a,90y,90t/data=!3m5!1e2!3m3!1shttps:%2F%2Flh6.googleusercont ent.com%2F-ShEI5lVUBkU%2FUOlzNfvHQ7I%2FAAAAAAB2fvQ%2Fkki-LGuE-5s%2Fs203%2FTantastic%252BTanning%252B%252526%252B Laser%252BTattoo%252BRemoval!2e4!3e12!4m9!1m6!2m5! 1sauburn+al+tanning+salons!3m3!1stanning+salons!2s Auburn,+AL!3s0x888cf12fb39bf883:0xcb25919235d39358 !3m1!1s0x0:0xfb6e75baf39a968c!6m1!1e1

SWZag
03-18-2014, 02:49 PM
Brad Huse at Montant State resigns (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10629029/montana-state-bobcats-men-basketball-coach-brad-huse-resigns)

Steve Donahue out at Boston College (http://espn.go.com/boston/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10628149/boston-college-eagles-part-ways-coach-steve-donahue)

The list continues to grow...

seacatfan
03-18-2014, 04:07 PM
Donahue didn't last long. One of the latest hot coaches that had a good run at a mid major, moved on to a BCS school and failed miserably. His successful run was a while ago, but I saw Stan Heath is out at South Florida after not getting it done at Arkansas either. The hottest name from last year's Tourney, Enfield from Florida-Gulf Coast, had a rough first season at USC. Too soon to write him off, but not a good start. Bit of a cautionary tale in there somewhere. There are a few success stories, but mostly it's desperate AD's trying to catch lightning in a bottle, doesn't work, fire the coach after 2 or 3 years and try it all over again. Coach Few probably doesn't have any regrets about staying put at Gonzaga.

Who will be this year's hot coaches that emerge during the Tourney? Do they stay put like Smart at VCU (and Stevens at Butler until the siren song of the NBA was too hard to resist)? Or go after the big payday and then go back to mid major if it doesn't work out? Oh, the drama of March Madness, it's not all on the court.

BTB
03-18-2014, 04:24 PM
Rumor has it that Few is going to Eastern. Apparently he wants to find the next Rodney Stuckey.

75Zag
03-18-2014, 07:34 PM
There are hints on the Oregon Live (aka Oregonian) web site tonight that Ernie Kent may be interested in the WSU coaching job. I assume everything that is not confirmed is BS, but this is an even more bizarre rumor than usual.

Go Bulldogs!

sittingon50
03-18-2014, 09:36 PM
IIRC (& I may not) Moos hired Kent @ Oregon.

GoZags
03-18-2014, 11:10 PM
Look for Kelvin Sampson to end up back at Wazzu with his son Kellen (currently at Appalachian State). The 5 year ban ended a couple of months ago and the Cougs would love to replicate the Bennett scenario.

Sampson would probably end the GU series again.

maynard g krebs
03-18-2014, 11:26 PM
IIRC (& I may not) Moos hired Kent @ Oregon.

Yes. And Moos was on Seattle radio today; talked about Ernie's ability to recruit despite the condition of Mac Court. Called it something along the lines of a dump or rat hole; forget the exact word he used. Said he'd talk to Ernie if Ernie expressed interest, and the same about Rice.

ZagaZags
03-19-2014, 02:01 AM
UNLV is looking at Max Good as a possible assistant coach.

MDABE80
03-19-2014, 02:43 AM
Kent would be a complete embarrasment for WSU.

Birddog
03-19-2014, 04:45 AM
Look for Kelvin Sampson to end up back at Wazzu with his son Kellen (currently at Appalachian State). The 5 year ban ended a couple of months ago and the Cougs would love to replicate the Bennett scenario.

Sampson would probably end the GU series again.
Weirder things have happened, but I was under the impression that Kelvin was pretty happy in the NBA.

VinnyZag
03-19-2014, 07:28 AM
For what it's worth, a couple of college basketball analysts asked about the Sampsons scenario yesterday on Twitter said that Kelvin is in line for an NBA head coaching gig soon. If true, not sure he'd give that up, even to give his kid's career a boost.

Writers are focusing on Leon Rice as the main candidate. Apparently Moos talked him up a little in the news conference. I still think Rice is too smart to leave a good job in Boise for Pullman, but who knows. He is a Coug, he wants to go back to Alma Mater.

SWZag
03-19-2014, 08:05 AM
For what it's worth, a couple of college basketball analysts asked about the Sampsons scenario yesterday on Twitter said that Kelvin is in line for an NBA head coaching gig soon. If true, not sure he'd give that up, even to give his kid's career a boost.

Writers are focusing on Leon Rice as the main candidate. Apparently Moos talked him up a little in the news conference. I still think Rice is too smart to leave a good job in Boise for Pullman, but who knows. He is a Coug, he wants to go back to Alma Mater.

I hope so!

a13coach
03-19-2014, 02:11 PM

Can the Cougs please take Randy Bennett? Or wait now that we are kicking Bennett butt on a regular basis maybe we should hope he stays. :D

former1dog
03-19-2014, 03:59 PM
Can the Cougs please take Randy Bennett? Or wait now that we are kicking Bennett butt on a regular basis maybe we should hope he stays. :D

Its weird, Bennett really lost his team this year. Their effort and focus in some games down the stretch had me scratching my head.

CDC84
03-20-2014, 03:49 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-03-20/wake-forest-expected-to-announce-coaching-change-at-press-conference

Wake Forest is looking for a new man. They haven't been able to stabilize that position since Prosser's passing.

seacatfan
03-20-2014, 03:52 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-03-20/wake-forest-expected-to-announce-coaching-change-at-press-conference

Wake Forest is looking for a new man. They haven't been able to stabilize that position since Prosser's passing.

They shoulda stuck with Gaudio. He maybe wasn't a great coach but was a heck of a recruiter. Bzdelik was a disaster. I've seen a couple rumors they might go after Ben Howland. Tony Bennett and Ben Howland slugging it out w/ their slow tempo. defense oriented approach on the other side of the country, that would be kinda weird.

Birddog
03-25-2014, 05:07 AM
James Dickey is stepping down at Houston and reports are that Kelvin Sampson is set to replace him. Lke I said in another post, I'm shocked. He was in line to get an NBA job or so most of the pundits thought. I guess he has a new wireless contract.

GrizZAG
03-25-2014, 06:06 AM
Played golf in Palm Springs Sunday with a die hard Husky. He is very connected at UW and tells me Romar is in deep trouble.

Zagceo
03-25-2014, 08:40 AM
Billy Donavan signed new extension 6 years at 3.7 million per year! WOW

jazzdelmar
03-25-2014, 08:42 AM
Billy Donavan signed new extension 6 years at 3.7 million per year! WOW

worth every penny on and off the court......he's in Izzo tier now

sittingon50
03-25-2014, 11:01 AM
Guess this one's for you, Jazz:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24499847/manhattans-masiello-expected-to-accept-offer-to-be-usfs-coach

seacatfan
03-25-2014, 11:36 AM
Houston used to be a sleeping giant of a program but I think the ship has sailed. Totally got left behind when the Southwest Conference broke up and all the other Texas schools went to the Big 12. Houston has been stuck as a mid major ever since, in spite of some impressive history and tradition. I remember being surprised at the time that the Big 12 took Baylor over Houston, but they've gone about 180 degrees in opposite directions since then.

seacatfan
03-25-2014, 11:40 AM
I didn't see mention that Buzz Williams left Marquette to take over Virginia Tech. Seems like a step down, but I guess it's an indictment of the newly aligned Big East. Just not big time basketball anymore, mid major along the lines of the A-10.

wiszag
03-25-2014, 01:45 PM
I hear Buzz got out just before the NCAA posse showed up. Kinda funny since his power play against the AD was successful. Now Marquette is doing a coaching search with no AD or college president. How does that work? A Marquette guy keeps tellin me it is definitely Shaka Smart, I am skeptical.

Former Zag recruit Sandy Cohen was let out of his LOI.

WSU should go after Saul Phillips, good guy, up and coming coach and pretty damned funny. They would love Saul.

cbbfanatic
03-25-2014, 01:52 PM
I hear Buzz got out just before the NCAA posse showed up. Kinda funny since his power play against the AD was successful. Now Marquette is doing a coaching search with no AD or college president. How does that work? A Marquette guy keeps tellin me it is definitely Shaka Smart, I am skeptical.

i thought i heard that someone in the AD said publicly the investigation rumor was untrue. i do know that Buzz has been at odds big time with the administration over the years... he apparently wanted looser restrictions than MU wants to give him - JUCO's, risky kids, etc.

i'd say this is more marquette specific than big east specific. heard jeff goodman say something about how the "tv deal isnt what it used to be" but he didnt go into any more detail. all i know is that BE games are more available before and the conference is making WAY more money than they did before - so the ways it is different than before seem to be positive. the other teams in the mix... not as much. i think the tv deal part is espn conjecture/spin

in any case, i think howland is more realistic than shaka for marquette. my guess is shaka is doing the annual march/april shakedown.

Mr Vulture
03-25-2014, 02:02 PM
I completely disagree...not what WSU should go after at all IMO. They need a HC that has been thru the recruiting wars on a hirer level. Saul is very similar to Bone in that they had success at the lower level but have limited connections once they move up. I think that hire for WSU is going to be Ernie Kent. I know that Houston has been rumored for Kelvin Sampson but I'm not sure that he wouldn't be the right hire to bring back to WSU. I know his son is a young college assistant that may set them up for a Bennett type transition down the line.

Former Zag recruit Sandy Cohen was let out of his LOI.

WSU should go after Saul Phillips, good guy, up and coming coach and pretty damned funny. They would love Saul.

wiszag
03-25-2014, 02:15 PM
I completely disagree...not what WSU should go after at all IMO. They need a HC that has been thru the recruiting wars on a hirer level. Saul is very similar to Bone in that they had success at the lower level but have limited connections once they move up.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Saul did spend a few years on the Wisconsin staff before going to the Dakotas. He's recruited the Midwest for a number of years. I think picking an up and comer makes a lot of sense. I do get your point though.

gonzagafan62
03-25-2014, 02:22 PM
I didn't see mention that Buzz Williams left Marquette to take over Virginia Tech. Seems like a step down, but I guess it's an indictment of the newly aligned Big East. Just not big time basketball anymore, mid major along the lines of the A-10.

Still better than the AAC though lol. Both seem to have killed themselves.

jazzdelmar
03-25-2014, 02:27 PM
Guess this one's for you, Jazz:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24499847/manhattans-masiello-expected-to-accept-offer-to-be-usfs-coach

Yup knew that was coming. Inevitable. Big $$$$$.. Manhattan kinda cradle of CBB coaches.

gonzagafan62
03-25-2014, 02:52 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24500450/rice-to-hire-vcus-mike-rhoades

Rice Hires VCU assistant Mike Rhoades.

Zag 77
03-25-2014, 03:03 PM
I don't see the love for Kent. I know Moos knows him from Oregon, but I seem to recall that Ernie was on the verge of getting fired for about 5 years there. I thought the general buzz was that he is incompetent, and that Oregon made the Final Four in spite of him, not because of him.

Zagdawg
03-25-2014, 03:13 PM
Ernie Kent Record 325-254
6 ncaa dance appearances in 19 years with 2 elite 8 finishes (1 trip at St Marys and 5 at Oregon)
2 NIT tourney appearances
1 Pac10 Reg season championship
3 Pac10 tourney championships

Zag 77
03-25-2014, 03:59 PM
ZagDawg, I note the record. So why did Oregon fire him, and why has he been available for several years with no job? I tend to look at him as a Lorenzo Romar type. Good recruiter, but bad coach.

Mr Vulture
03-25-2014, 04:28 PM
He is an average game coach but a very good recruiter. He was gone before they built the facilities at Oregon but both Elite 8's were at Oregon. I think the biggest hurdle in hiring him is whether he still wants to coach and his age, he is almost 60. I personally think they would be good to hire an up and coming assistant from a large program but don't know that Midwest ties from Wisconsin fit the bill. If they want to go the assistant route I'd think they'd be looking at guys like Kenny Payne from Kentucky or Tommy from our staff. Both have solid ties in recruiting circles and likely desire to be the man at some point soon.

seacatfan
03-25-2014, 04:46 PM
Still better than the AAC though lol. Both seem to have killed themselves.

I thought the AAC was better at the top than the Big East, but dreadful at the bottom. Losing Louisville to the ACC after this season doesn't help. UConn has to get themselves out of that stinking mess. And Memphis...finally got out of Conference USA, just to find themselves back in CUSA more or less.

seacatfan
03-25-2014, 04:48 PM
re: Kent. I'm pretty sure he was involved in some kind of scandal at Oregon, not recruiting wise, but some kind of personal improprieties. I was never clear on the details, so I won't say any more than that. If you know any Husky fans I think they would be delighted to tell you about it.

Zagdawg
03-25-2014, 04:48 PM
The question that should be asked-- has he been looking for a job or is he enjoying the time away from the coaching grind as a commentator-- he is not as young as he used to be-- maybe he is waiting for the right situation to present itself.

I agree that he is a good recruiter and an average game coach -- but he does have trips to the dance at two different schools and 2 elite 8 appearances (01-02 and 06-07)--along with Pac 10 coach of the year 2002---- so he must know a little bit about playing ball in addition to recruiting.

HillBillyZag
03-25-2014, 04:58 PM
Petino's latest acolyte lost little time in bailing on Manhattan for South Florida. What a crock.

Angelo Roncalli
03-25-2014, 05:09 PM
re: Kent. I'm pretty sure he was involved in some kind of scandal at Oregon, not recruiting wise, but some kind of personal improprieties. I was never clear on the details, so I won't say any more than that. If you know any Husky fans I think they would be delighted to tell you about it.

A little vacation in Mexico, with a friend, with benefits.

seacatfan
03-25-2014, 05:21 PM

That's what I was thinking. UW fans took to calling him Ernesto and wearing sombreros to taunt him.

Zagceo
03-25-2014, 05:47 PM
That's what I was thinking. UW fans took to calling him Ernesto and wearing sombreros to taunt him.

Kids have it easy these days. If they want some taunting material they just type in lets say "Ernie Kent Rumors" in google!

Not like the olden days of good old rumors between friends.

CDC84
03-25-2014, 09:07 PM

Coug fans as well. One message board poster eloquently referred to the whole saga as Zippergate.

Uncle Ernie is not one of the most well liked coaches in the biz. He's burned a lot of bridges over the years...even going back to his days at Stanford when he was an assistant under Monty.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-26-2014, 01:02 AM
Huh. Wonder what the "discrepancy" was. http://tbo.com/sports/colleges/usf-bulls/usf-deal-with-coach-falls-through-20140326/

Zagdawg
03-26-2014, 07:21 AM
He lied on his resume about having a degree--oops.

Apparently South Florida does verify their candidates backgrounds-- Manhatten may learn something from this.

adoptedzag
03-26-2014, 07:54 AM
Petino's latest acolyte lost little time in bailing on Manhattan for South Florida. What a crock.

Not so fast! Discrepencies in his resume mean that USF won't be taking him and he might not even have a job at Manhattan after the investigation is done.

gonzagafan62
03-26-2014, 07:56 AM
Not so fast! Discrepencies in his resume mean that USF won't be taking him and he might not even have a job at Manhattan after the investigation is done.

He lied about his graduation from Kentucky.

Zag 77
03-26-2014, 09:39 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/report-masiello-s-deal-with-usf-off-because-of-resume-problem-032614

You would think coaches all learned their lesson about resumes after what happened to George Leary and Notre Dame in 2001.

gonzagafan62
03-26-2014, 09:43 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/report-masiello-s-deal-with-usf-off-because-of-resume-problem-032614

You would think coaches all learned their lesson about resumes after what happened to George Leary and Notre Dame in 2001.

I have heard his job with Manhattan might be in complete jeopardy too.

sittingon50
03-26-2014, 12:19 PM
Oops.

UKWildcatsFan
03-26-2014, 12:26 PM
I have heard his job with Manhattan might be in complete jeopardy too.

I would expect that it would be. It will be interesting to see if he gets hired anywhere else or if his coaching career is finished.

jazzdelmar
03-26-2014, 12:27 PM
Incredibly sad story. How you go from one week to the top of your profession to probably being out of it

ZagaZags
03-26-2014, 12:29 PM
He lied about his graduation from Kentucky.

Kentucky graduates players?

:jk:

sittingon50
I would expect that it would be. It will be interesting to see if he gets hired anywhere else or if his coaching career is finished.

Am sure he'll coach again, as soon as he finishes his degree (not really sure how many D-1 schools don't require a degree).

cbbfanatic
Incredibly sad story. How you go from one week to the top of your profession to probably being out of it

he was never at the top

he lied about a big and easily verifiable piece of his resume

the only sad parts are that USF spent the time and money to pursue him, and that his former players at manhattan will have to deal with a new coach - but they would have had to do that anyway.

Zagdawg
03-26-2014, 01:27 PM
The only manhatten attendees that I have interacted with are kind of underhanded (i.e. like to stir the p0t)-- don't know that this is any different.

;)

TexasZagFan
03-26-2014, 02:06 PM

Pitino will welcome back with open arms, and he'll probably make more as an assistant coach at Louisville as he did as a head coach at Manhattan. It would be the smart move, so that he could actually get the degree.

Birddog
03-31-2014, 05:55 AM
I like Jimmy Dykes as an announcer, but this is just nuts.
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/30/espn-college-basketball-analyst-jimmy-dykes-named-arkansas-womens-head-coach/
I have to question the AD on this hire. I have to question Dykes for taking the job as well.

Hoopaholic
03-31-2014, 06:13 AM
I like Jimmy Dykes as an announcer, but this is just nuts.
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/30/espn-college-basketball-analyst-jimmy-dykes-named-arkansas-womens-head-coach/
I have to question the AD on this hire. I have to question Dykes for taking the job as well.

Why do you question them?

Birddog
03-31-2014, 06:34 AM
Why do you question them?
Dykes has never coached women at any level. His last coaching job of any kind was in the 90/91 season as an assistant at Ok St under Eddie Sutton. I know he could maybe get some terrific assistants that are familiar with the women's game, have good recruiting backgrounds, and have relationships with HS coaches, etc but put me solidly on the side of the doubters. Being an analyst is far different than being a head coach.

ZaginLaw
03-31-2014, 06:59 AM

The "friend" was a boosters daughter who was attending the University. Even in Eugene there are some lines married men can't cross.

DixieZag
03-31-2014, 07:28 AM
Whoever said it was the "single most verifiable thing on the resume" hit it dead on the money. I mean, as an adjunct one has to have certified copies of their degrees on file at the University, and it is not real cheap to get those certified copies. It's not like you expect the employer to go get them, you have to provide them.

I'm betting there was some technical thing with Kentucky or he missed one credit or two credits, like one has to apply to graduate and go through all that hassle everyone here knows about, I wonder if he thought he completed all (most) but had a few odds and ends he knew about but thought, "close enough for D1 athletes and coaches." ? Really dumb - he could have quietly told them and took a correspondence course or a 2 week seminar or something. IF he was honest, they'd likely try to help him.

siliconzag
03-31-2014, 08:42 AM
What if Monty retires? Cal has a good facility, alumni who remember their last NCAA championship, and covet another. I think it is a plum job, and I think Monty has enjoyed his tenure there, although he was unable to get the Bears to an elite level.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10698711/california-golden-bears-coach-mike-montgomery-meet-ad-sandy-barbour-monday

If you listen to the Andy Katz video, you will notice that he mentions Mark Few as a possible replacement. Nearest fly fishing is Putah Creek, big rainbows, tiny flies. The Upper Sacramento is four hours away, the Truckee River is about three. I don't see it. I wonder if they might consider Monson?

jazzdelmar
03-31-2014, 09:30 AM
What if Monty retires? Cal has a good facility, alumni who remember their last NCAA championship, and covet another. I think it is a plum job, and I think Monty has enjoyed his tenure there, although he was unable to get the Bears to an elite level.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10698711/california-golden-bears-coach-mike-montgomery-meet-ad-sandy-barbour-monday

If you listen to the Andy Katz video, you will notice that he mentions Mark Few as a possible replacement. Nearest fly fishing is Putah Creek, big rainbows, tiny flies. The Upper Sacramento is four hours away, the Truckee River is about three. I don't see it. I wonder if they might consider Monson?

Quite a salesman, Sili. I like your style.

gonzagafan62
03-31-2014, 11:45 AM
South Florida now hires Orlando Antigua

gonzagafan62
03-31-2014, 12:10 PM
Monty Retires

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_25459370/cal-coach-mike-montgomery-retires

DixieZag
03-31-2014, 12:41 PM
Monty Retires

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_25459370/cal-coach-mike-montgomery-retires

Interesting. I wonder if two years ago they would have considered Randy Bennett?

Anyone think they would now?

gonzagafan62
03-31-2014, 12:52 PM
Interesting. I wonder if two years ago they would have considered Randy Bennett?

Anyone think they would now?

If you wanna know the truth, that would make my day.

EDIT: I don't have any information towards whether or not they would have interest in Bennett

DixieZag
03-31-2014, 12:55 PM
If you wanna know the truth, that would make my day.

EDIT: I don't have any information towards whether or not they would have interest in Bennett

I wouldn't cry either. Though it's possible the conference would lose out. But, there's always movement, right? Maybe LMU are the next challengers?

gonzagafan62
03-31-2014, 01:09 PM
I wouldn't cry either. Though it's possible the conference would lose out. But, there's always movement, right? Maybe LMU are the next challengers?

The conference would definitely lose out, but Randy is one coach I don't like, personally. LMU could be challengers in a few years, but I really like San Francisco, and Pepperdine's upside on their team. Of course you still have BYU and SMC (they will still be good teams, of course) but those two could really challenge very soon, IMO

CDC84
03-31-2014, 01:17 PM
Are they really going to be interested in Bennett at a time when his program is under NCAA sanctions??

sittingon50
03-31-2014, 01:44 PM
What few posters there are on the SMC board don't think it's an issue.

(&, FWIW, our favorite mod over at dawns central is on the ESPN board stirring up shhhhtuff r.e. Cal's low graduation rates for African American athletes, though he seems to be implying football [he's not clear]). What that has to do with Monty..................?????????????????????????

DixieZag
03-31-2014, 02:00 PM
That's what I was asking. There are some schools where that wouldn't be a wall; maybe PAC schools it would be though.

He has won a lot of games at a place with few facilities.

Angelo Roncalli
03-31-2014, 03:23 PM
Ernie Kent to WSU per KJR and KIRO.

Zag 77
03-31-2014, 03:57 PM
Dennis Patchin & Co. report the same thing. Evidently to be announced a presser on Wed. afternoon.

Update: AD Bill Moos issues statement announcing it is Kent.

UKWildcatsFan
03-31-2014, 04:12 PM
Ernie Kent is an interesting hire for WSU. Fun story though: when I was in Spokane the day before the Round of 64 tournament games were being played P.J. Carlesimo was there (watching the practices as he was doing the radio broadcasts I believe). He walked by right in front of where I was sitting and a guy got his attention and said "hey PJ, WSU is looking for a coach" to which he replied "they're looking for a good coach, not me".

DixieZag
03-31-2014, 04:52 PM
Do people think that's a good hire?

It's a little like Leach. A guy well known for recruiting and decent winning (Leach more so) but had a personal issue that the Univ had trouble with, goes to WSU repentant knowing their professional lives are at stake and getting a second chance? I'm of the opinion that Leach was a fantastic hire. He's saying all the right things, calmed down and the team is turned around ahead of schedule?

CDC84
03-31-2014, 04:56 PM
It will certainly liven up the GU/WSU rivalry game.

DixieZag
03-31-2014, 04:58 PM
Question; Does anyone think Tommy Loyd would be interested in

A: Head Coach job at a mid level BCS: e.g. (not open) Arkansas, Kansas State, Southern Florida or Iowa

OR:

Top Assistant Head Coach job at Elite Sugar: e.g. Michigan State, Arizona, North Carolina, Kansas

I'm not saying he's going anywhere, I am asking what a guy like him would be valued as if he would be tempted. Would either of these excite him?

BobZag
03-31-2014, 05:42 PM
Ernie Kent named new Wazzu coach.

Hoopaholic
03-31-2014, 05:44 PM
Do people think that's a good hire?

It's a little like Leach. A guy well known for recruiting and decent winning (Leach more so) but had a personal issue that the Univ had trouble with, goes to WSU repentant knowing their professional lives are at stake and getting a second chance? I'm of the opinion that Leach was a fantastic hire. He's saying all the right things, calmed down and the team is turned around ahead of schedule?

Not sure he is well known for recruiting

75Zag
03-31-2014, 05:48 PM
Kent was a pretty good recruiter at Oregon but IMO his recruiting effort in Eugene was assisted by all the hype surrounding the Oregon football program over the past years. Recruiting SoCal kids or elite Oregon kids into Pullman to play BB is going to be a whole different ballgame. It will be interesting to watch and see if WSU is willing to open its wallet to build top-tier BB training, conditioning, and tutoring facilities to go along with the big salary they will no doubt pay Coach Kent.

On edit, I found this article which is Coug boosting in tone but which discusses some of Ernie's benefits as a coach. Wish him well except when he plays GU.

http://www.scout.com/2/1389508.html

Go Bulldogs!

seacatfan
03-31-2014, 07:44 PM
Ditto on Kent's recruiting and Nike U. He pulled a couple studs out of Detroit and Chicago areas that came out of absolutely nowhere and caught pretty much everybody that follows recruiting completely by surprise. He will NOT be getting those kinds of players to come to Pullman. Probably won't be getting the Aaron Brooks/Luke Ridnour type of players out of the Northwest either.

seacatfan
03-31-2014, 07:49 PM
I could be wrong, but I think Cal's facilities and spending on their athletics department is lagging behind most of the other schools in the Pac 12. They've gotten some talented players there over the years, but it seems like recruiting there is a bit of a challenge. Monty did decent at Cal but he was nowhere near as successful as he was at Stanford previously. Will be really interesting to see who they go after.

SWZag
03-31-2014, 08:05 PM
Best of luck to Kent. Tough road ahead.

Wichita State success and spawned a new head coach out of an assistant. Bowling Green hired Wichita State assistant (http://www.hustlebelt.com/mac-basketball/2014/3/24/5541366/bowling-green-hires-wichita-state-assistant-chris-jans). Success breeds opportunities, have we've seen with GU.

SWZag

maynard g krebs
03-31-2014, 10:25 PM
The "friend" was a boosters daughter who was attending the University. Even in Eugene there are some lines married men can't cross.

I was living in Eugene at the time of Sombrerogate. The booster's daughter was a woman in her 40's, according to people in Eugene. Name and photo were posted on the internet at the time. Not defending Ernie but no need for the National Enquirer stuff.

Blitzing-Zag
04-01-2014, 12:43 AM

Stay away from coach few cal!

gonzagafan62
04-01-2014, 07:49 AM
Marquette hires Duke assistant Steve Wojciechowski

Zagceo
04-01-2014, 08:23 AM
Marquette hires Duke assistant Steve Wojciechowski

Thought he might be the heir apparent at Duke.

cbbfanatic
04-01-2014, 08:35 AM

a lot of people are still saying he is.. that this is his hc training until coach k retires. we'll see, he'll have a lot of work to do at marquette to get himself in position for the duke job

Zagceo
04-01-2014, 08:39 AM
a lot of people are still saying he is.. that this is his hc training until coach k retires. we'll see, he'll have a lot of work to do at marquette to get himself in position for the duke job

I get the feeling Coach K has a lot of hard miles on his nerves and might hang it up sooner rather than later. Maybe Wojo thought the same after the fainting issue of K this year but must have been told otherwise so he decided to bolt.

15 years an assistant without any final end game I'm guessing. Wojo started coaching for Duke in 1999

Can Tommy Lloyd hang on for another 10 years if need be? Tommy started coaching for GU in 2000

If Tommy Lloyd was offered the UW job would he think about it?

siliconzag
04-01-2014, 11:54 AM
Regarding Cal's opening, the Athletic Department usually is process focused, and is unlikely to make a quick decision. Jeff Goodman mentioned Leon Rice as a good option. I wouldn't expect them to make up their mind quickly, and I doubt Coach Few is on their list, but I could be wrong. One factor which has been mentioned as a problem at Cal, the academic disparity between athletes and their classmates is less evident since Monty took over the program. The administration at Cal is sensitive to this issue and is unlikely to follow the trend of compromising academics to the extent they did in years past. The facilities at Cal are top notch, much nicer than UW. The alumni have pretty much given up on football (understandably) and much more focus is being placed on basketball. Time will tell if that trend survives the post-Montgomery era. There are a lot of really sad Cal Bear fans, players and alumni today. Monty has big shoes...

Zagceo
04-01-2014, 12:08 PM
One factor which has been mentioned as a problem at Cal, the academic disparity between athletes and their classmates is less evident since Monty took over the program. The administration at Cal is sensitive to this issue and is unlikely to follow the trend of compromising academics to the extent they did in years past.

So many high achieving students in the student body at Cal must put pressure on all the athletic programs I would guess.

UberZagFan
04-02-2014, 12:57 PM
I doubt Coach Few is on their list, but I could be wrong.

Any truth to the Cal "search team" meeting with Few yesterday in Spokane?

https://cal.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=1103&script=%2Fcontent.asp&cid=1627218

Cal Rivals ‏@CalRivals 4h

Per a source, @CalRivals has learned that #Cal's search firm flew to WA Tues to meet w/ #Gonzaga's Mark Few.

Zagceo
04-02-2014, 01:02 PM
Any truth to the Cal "search team" meeting with Few yesterday in Spokane?

https://cal.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=1103&script=%2Fcontent.asp&cid=1627218

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/ceo_500/ScreenShot2014-04-02at10928PM_zpsddec64d6.png

It would be a strange time for Few to decide to leave the program when he's sitting on one of his best freshman classes of all time.

I never say never though.

titopoet
04-02-2014, 01:18 PM

Tommy, Baby Tommy as in Amaker. Harvard is fun, but he will move when Duke calls.

gonzagafan62
04-02-2014, 01:19 PM
There are nice fishing holes around Berkley, so they have some leverage, but it just wouldn't make sense for him to go there. I, myself, would be crushed if this happens.

EDIT: We go through this all the time, is there really a reason to worry about it this time? This is a serious question, not rhetorical.

Angelo Roncalli
04-02-2014, 01:21 PM
Kelvin Sampson to Houston, 5 year deal, unlimited minutes and unlimited texting part of the package.

basketballzag
04-02-2014, 01:22 PM
Raise time for Coach Few! LOL He is pulling a Leon Rice.

seacatfan
04-02-2014, 01:22 PM
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/ceo_500/ScreenShot2014-04-02at10928PM_zpsddec64d6.png

It would be a strange time for Few to decide to leave the program when he's sitting on one of his best freshman classes of all time.

I never say never though.

He's already had multiple chances to jump to the Pac 10/12 and probably better situations than Cal. And certainly much higher profile programs around the country have shown interest in the past. I used to get nervous any time Few's name was mentioned for a job opening, but at this point I would be fairly surprised if he left. As we just saw with Leon Rice, interviewing is not nearly the same thing as being out the door.

seacatfan
04-02-2014, 01:27 PM
Kelvin Sampson to Houston, 5 year deal, unlimited minutes and unlimited texting part of the package.

This could be interesting. The guy can coach and he can recruit. Just can't stay out of trouble. Houston used to be a great program. It's been a long time. The AAC isn't a great conference, but UConn is in the Final 4 this year. Cincinnati is solid. So is Memphis. SMU is in the NIT Final and has a stud PG coming in next year, definitely on the rise (just not sure that Larry Brown is gonna hang around for long). Losing Louisville to the ACC hurts. A LOT! Beyond those top several teams it drops off sharply and gets terrible at the bottom. Maybe Sampson can return Houston to past glory.

thespywhozaggedme
04-02-2014, 01:27 PM
The parallels between Few and Petersen at Boise State are uncanny. If Few does leave for the PAC12, like Petersen, Tommy would most likely take over and re-energize the team and bring youthful exuberance just like Harsin has at Boise.

seacatfan
04-02-2014, 01:35 PM
The parallels between Few and Petersen at Boise State are uncanny. If Few does leave for the PAC12, like Petersen, Tommy would most likely take over and re-energize the team and bring youthful exuberance just like Harsin has at Boise.

There is that. Sometimes a guy that's turned down numerous opportunities finally decides it's time to move on and try something new. I think it's a little different though because Peterson was getting tired of having such an uphill battle and such a teeny margin for error trying to get into BCS bowl games at BSU.

gonzagafan62
04-02-2014, 01:46 PM
There is that. Sometimes a guy that's turned down numerous opportunities finally decides it's time to move on and try something new. I think it's a little different though because Peterson was getting tired of having such an uphill battle and such a teeny margin for error trying to get into BCS bowl games at BSU.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. In the Pac10/12 these days, there is much more room for error more certainly because the conference as a whole, while it has an auto bid, can spurn into a more reasonable environment. You could legitly have 4 or 5 losses and still be in line for a BCS bid going into the conference title game. OR you could be like UCLA and be 6-6 and be playing in the title game (albeit USC was ineligible that year, but these things happen)

Secondly, Mark Few controls his own destiny in the playing field of 68. Win the conference title (not extremely hard, but not easy either) or get your quality wins in early (like BYU) and most of the time you get an at large berth, and there are then 68 teams who just have to win to get the chance at the dance. The dance Is much easier to make in basketball, than football, so this comparison between Peterson and Few is not as good as Leon Rice and Few.

Whew. Enough Boise and Huskies talk for one day.

jazzdelmar
04-02-2014, 01:47 PM
George is getting excited.

sittingon50
04-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Given Few's "ethos", I'm thinkin' Cal would be one of the last places he would look at.

jazzdelmar
04-02-2014, 02:42 PM
Given Few's "ethos", I'm thinkin' Cal would be one of the last places he would look at.

What does that mean? Cal is a top 20 university. Mario Savio is long gone.

Zagceo
04-02-2014, 03:53 PM
Good article about search for Cal coach from San Jose Mercury (http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_25471704/two-issues-shape-cals-search-its-next-mens) writer.

jazzdelmar
04-02-2014, 03:59 PM
Good article about search for Cal coach from San Jose Mercury (http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_25471704/two-issues-shape-cals-search-its-next-mens) writer.

Writer makes it sound pretty bleak. Isn't that why the AD and her bosses get the big money. It's Cal, for gosh sake.

thespywhozaggedme
04-02-2014, 04:31 PM
What does that mean? Cal is a top 20 university. Mario Savio is long gone.

Perhaps because the People's Republic of Berkley is to the left of Havana, Cuba

jazzdelmar
04-02-2014, 04:45 PM

What year is this? We should normalize relations with Cuba anyway. And the FSM as well.

75Zag
04-02-2014, 04:50 PM
Pretty accurate article about the strange positioning of Cal and its altletic teams. Cal can fairly be called either a "poor man's Stanford" or a "smart man's UCLA" but no matter who they hire as coach they won't get the super brainy BB jocks who go to Stanford or the super BB jocks with average sized brains who go to UCLA.

Go Bulldogs!

DixieZag
04-02-2014, 04:55 PM

I LOVED my time there.

There's a place for anyone there. Plus, I'd take the job for Bondie's pizza.

I'm not sure I'd leave GU if I were Few though, good reasons cited above. Plus, really, think about it. Is Mark Few the type of guy that is longing to raise his family in the East Bay, though there are a TON of nice areas, just doesn't seem his style. More worried about Oregon or Washington.

Unbiased
04-02-2014, 05:05 PM
IF Few has a plan on how long he wants to coach and if for argument's sake it is five years, and if a prospective suitor guarantees him a five year contract with double the income, most likely he would give it more than a cursory thought.

Just my opinion.

Zagceo
04-02-2014, 05:14 PM
I believe Mark Few has at least 10 more years coaching in him if not more.

At what point does Tommy Lloyd say 15 years assistant I can't wait 10 more years to become head coach at Gonzaga.

maynard g krebs
04-02-2014, 05:15 PM
IF Few has a plan on how long he wants to coach and if for argument's sake it is five years, and if a prospective suitor guarantees him a five year contract with double the income, most likely he would give it more than a cursory thought.

Just my opinion.

Few already turned down Oregon when they fired Ernie. He could have written his own number there; Knight would have signed the check. The last 15 years say he won't leave for money. He has plenty. Thing to remember is that he's a preacher's kid. Most preachers earn far less that other people with advanced degrees and do it because it's a calling (my father was one); Few was raised in an environment where money isn't everything.

75Zag
04-02-2014, 05:48 PM
I believe Mark Few has at least 10 more years coaching in him if not more. At what point does Tommy Lloyd say 15 years assistant I can't wait 10 more years to become head coach at Gonzaga.

Interesting question which I have wondered about myself from time to time, but there are all kinds of people with all kinds of priorities. Some of the young people I have worked with over the years appeared to spend 75% of every waking hour of every day planning on how to get their next promotion / raise, whereas others who were equally talented and productive seemed fairly content with where they were at the moment. If Few's top priority was to climb to a job at a basketball blueblood school I suspect he would have been gone a long time ago. If Coach Lloyd's top priority was to be a head coach and start his own climb to the top of the BB food chain, I suspect he too would have been gone a long time ago. They both seem a good fit in the GU program and university. I hope they can each achieve their personal goals and help grow the GU program at the same time.

Go Bulldogs!

ZaginLaw
04-02-2014, 06:50 PM
Pretty accurate article about the strange positioning of Cal and its altletic teams. Cal can fairly be called either a "poor man's Stanford" or a "smart man's UCLA" but no matter who they hire as coach they won't get the super brainy BB jocks who go to Stanford or the super BB jocks with average sized brains who go to UCLA.

Go Bulldogs!

Only because grade inflation is more prevalent at Stanford. I've hired prospects from both schools and Cal Bezerkley is consistently better. Sorry, it was hard for me to come to this realization because I used to be a Cardinal homer.

Zagceo
04-02-2014, 07:02 PM
Wake Forest interested in Danny Manning (http://msn.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/tulsa-coach-danny-manning-toured-wake-forest-campus-wednesday-040214?cmpid=msn%3Afoxsports%3Aansfox11).

DixieZag
04-02-2014, 08:37 PM
Wake Forest interested in Danny Manning (http://msn.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/tulsa-coach-danny-manning-toured-wake-forest-campus-wednesday-040214?cmpid=msn%3Afoxsports%3Aansfox11).

Resurrecting Wake might require a miracle.

Those under 40 need not understand.

sittingon50
04-02-2014, 08:55 PM
Would be real tough for Tulsa to lose Manning after only 2 yrs.

bartruff1
04-02-2014, 09:29 PM
Few already turned down Oregon when they fired Ernie. He could have written his own number there; Knight would have signed the check. The last 15 years say he won't leave for money. He has plenty. Thing to remember is that he's a preacher's kid. Most preachers earn far less that other people with advanced degrees and do it because it's a calling (my father was one); Few was raised in an environment where money isn't everything.

I always thought he would go, until he reportedly turned down the Oregon job....it was perfect for everyone, including all the parents and grandparents.

After that, I was sure he would stay, but if it is true the selection team came up here to interview him.....well....

They wouldn't have done that unless he said he would listen. I don't think he would do that to get a raise out of Gonzaga. I don't think he needs the money.

seacatfan
04-02-2014, 11:22 PM
Would be real tough for Tulsa to lose Manning after only 2 yrs.

Tulsa was quite a stepping stone program for a while. Nolan Richardson, Tubby Smith and Bill Self all coached there before moving on to bigger jobs. The well dried up for a while. If Manning leaves, I don't think it's anything Tulsa fans aren't used to.

seacatfan
04-02-2014, 11:23 PM
Resurrecting Wake might require a miracle.

Those under 40 need not understand.

Good one. I'm old enough to get it.

Birddog
04-03-2014, 04:50 AM
I always thought he would go, until he reportedly turned down the Oregon job....it was perfect for everyone, including all the parents and grandparents.

After that, I was sure he would stay, but if it is true the selection team came up here to interview him.....well....

They wouldn't have done that unless he said he would listen. I don't think he would do that to get a raise out of Gonzaga. I don't think he needs the money.

Sometimes they do that knowing the odds are slim but in the hopes of maybe getting another name of someone that might be a good fit. A name that wasn't on their list for whatever reason. They work just like head hunters. All this speculation is based on the story being true.

basketballzag
04-03-2014, 09:25 AM
Writer makes it sound pretty bleak. Isn't that why the AD and her bosses get the big money. It's Cal, for gosh sake.

Jazz,

Sandy Barbour is widely considered one of the worst athletic directors in the US. Some credit her with the demise of Notre Dame football & athletics and everyone else says she singlehandedly destroyed the Tulane athletic department. At Tulane she destroyed the football program when Tommy Bowden left to take the job at Clemson and she made the announcement that a new coach was going to be hired. The assistant head coach under Bowden was a gentleman named Rich Rodriguez who was donning his Tulane green jacket and attended the press conference thinking he was going to be named the next head coach. Barbour named some 8th rate football coach and the damage was immeasurable to that athletic department. Rodriguez walked out the door and took a job at West Virginia. Cal won't go anywhere with her at the helm.

Zagceo
04-03-2014, 12:34 PM
Story on top assistants around the country. (http://college-basketball.si.com/2014/03/11/coaching-carousel-top-assistants/) Prediction on Wojo was wrong.

Kiddwell
04-04-2014, 08:46 AM
At what point does Tommy Lloyd say 15 years assistant I can't wait 10 more years to become head coach at Gonzaga.

Commander Riker could've left any time for his own ship but preferred being Jean Luc Picard's "Number One" aboard Star Fleet's legendary Enterprise. Tommy Lloyd is Commander Riker. Mark Few is Captain Picard. And GU is the Enterprise.

And now a rosy-cheeked smile for Data... :o ...followed by roses for dear and lovely Dr. Crusher... :adored:

:]

sittingon50
04-04-2014, 08:55 AM
Always kinda' partial to Deanna Troi.

Oh, Manning to Wake.

Angelo Roncalli
04-04-2014, 09:00 AM

Oh, Manning to Wake.

Lt. Tasha Yar.

Random Gonzaga factoid. Denise Crosby, who played Lt. Yar, is the granddaughter of Bing Crosby.

gonzagafan62
04-04-2014, 09:29 AM

Oh, Manning to Wake.

ouch.

Birddog
04-18-2014, 07:18 AM
Mizzou's Haith to Tulsa? This is a head scratcher. By most accounts he's taking a pay cut, and he has some overweight oversize baggage too. I'm not sure what TU is thinking.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24530608/mizzous-frank-haith-will-be-tulsas-next-head-coach

gozagswoohoo
04-18-2014, 10:59 AM
Mizzou's Haith to Tulsa? This is a head scratcher. By most accounts he's taking a pay cut, and he has some overweight oversize baggage too. I'm not sure what TU is thinking.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24530608/mizzous-frank-haith-will-be-tulsas-next-head-coach

Same ole same ole with Mizzoo! My friends always ask why I'm not a fan. Well....I was tellin em a couple years ago that Haith was carrying some baggage and I didn't think it was a good hire. There's just nothing to like about Mizzoo. SLU on the other hand....I'm a fan.

basketballzag
04-18-2014, 12:40 PM
Same ole same ole with Mizzoo! My friends always ask why I'm not a fan. Well....I was tellin em a couple years ago that Haith was carrying some baggage and I didn't think it was a good hire. There's just nothing to like about Mizzoo. SLU on the other hand....I'm a fan.

And now SG Namon Wright and PF Jakeen Grant have opened up their recruitment.

ZagaZags
04-18-2014, 01:08 PM
And now SG Namon Wright and PF Jakeen Grant have opened up their recruitment.

I hope Namon Wright finds a good school.

Bkzag
04-18-2014, 01:33 PM
Saw a movie yesterday on TCM, "Good By Mr. Chips." I really liked the movie and now after reading all the posts on this thread, I see a resemblence:

Coach Few = Mr. Chips

Mr. Chips never pursued being the Head Master just as Coach Few has never pursued leaving GU.

Mr. Chips looked at all his students as his children much the same way Coach Few views his players.

Coach Few has had and will continue to have a tremendous impact on all his players. This is so evident every summer, when all his "children" return to GU and play ball with each other. GU is a "family oriented program" and I believe in time, when previous player's children grow, they will more than likely find themselves at GU either as players or students. David Stockton is a prime example...

I realized many years ago he wouldn't leave as he has one of the best jobs in the world of sport, where he is loved and revered.

seacatfan
04-18-2014, 02:37 PM
Well that's different, a coach from a bigger name school going to Tulsa instead of the other way around. Frankly I don't think Haith is a very good coach. Whatever happened to Mizzou? Back in the day w/ Stormin' Norman Stewart they were right there w/ powerhouse Kansas and Oklahoma teams in the Big 8. Just can't seem to find the right coach. Snyder. Anderson. Haith. It probably isn't considered as good of a coaching gig as it once was.

ZagaZags
04-19-2014, 07:26 PM

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/mizzou-haith-upbeat-about-new-directions/article_99eb902e-713b-5642-8a7d-48e9a8a24151.html

exclusivelee
05-05-2014, 06:52 AM
Bout time Oregon State let go Craig Robinson

mtzaga
05-05-2014, 09:55 AM
Looks who is mentioned as a replacement for Robinson. Is there a 2 for 1 deal that includes his 6'6" son?

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2014/05/looking_at_possible_candidates.html

DixieZag
05-05-2014, 09:59 AM
Bout time Oregon State let go Craig Robinson

Yep. Although, to be fair, virtually no one has won there since the legend left. Can't recall the name and not going to take the time, everyone knows.

One of the things the old coach said that I loved. "If they're going to make a shot worth three points, it should be for getting a lay-up off your half court set." Some truth to that.

Birddog
05-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Why did OSU wait so long? Were they evaluating the talent he signed in the late period? AD's usually have a good feel for the direction they are going before the end of the season.

jazzdelmar
05-05-2014, 10:19 AM
Yep. Although, to be fair, virtually no one has won there since the legend left. Can't recall the name and not going to take the time, everyone knows.

One of the things the old coach said that I loved. "If they're going to make a shot worth three points, it should be for getting a lay-up off your half court set." Some truth to that.

Slats Gill...

23dpg
05-05-2014, 10:24 AM
Slats Gill...

I was thinking Ralph Miller.

SWZag
05-05-2014, 10:33 AM
Looks who is mentioned as a replacement for Robinson. Is there a 2 for 1 deal that includes his 6'6" son?

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2014/05/looking_at_possible_candidates.html

Tinkle would have the draw if his son would come too. I'd think Damon would also be an interesting pick. Don't know much about his coaching skills, but he would be a local guy who obviously has a lot of connections.

BobZag
05-05-2014, 11:21 AM
Thinking Leon could make a run at this job.

maynard g krebs
05-05-2014, 11:23 AM
Why did OSU wait so long? Were they evaluating the talent he signed in the late period? AD's usually have a good feel for the direction they are going before the end of the season.

Big buyout they couldn't afford, till they couldn't afford not to. I think they gave him a big extension after they had a winning season a few years ago.

It was Miller. Slats Gill was a couple years before the 3 pointer.

maynard g krebs
05-05-2014, 11:26 AM
Thinking Leon could make a run at this job.

Really think he'd want it? Graveyard for coaches.

CDC84
05-05-2014, 11:27 AM

In short, athletic director incompetence.

It is worth revisiting an article from 2007 that Decourcy wrote for TSN that documents the critical mistakes athletic directors must avoid when hiring a new basketball coach. Oregon State is a violator of rule #3:

http://www.sportshawaii.com/sh/viewtopic.php?t=15622

At the heart of the issue, basketball coaches aren't really fired because they lose or underachieve or fail to meet expectations. They are fired because their bosses made lousy hires.

From South Florida to Arkansas to Iowa, athletic directors have made a hash of their coaching searches.

If only they'd remember a few simple guidelines, these ADs might wind up with their own Ben Howlands.

1. Your job is not as good as you think. This is true even of the best programs. Except North Carolina. The Carolina job is that good, but the Heels aren't hiring anyone who didn't go to school there, anyway.

It's essential every school recognize where it stands in the pecking order. Arkansas should have known that despite its greater basketball tradition, the current state of college athletics makes the Texas A&M job at least as good. Why would Billy Gillispie move to make $2 million if he could get about the same money with the Aggies? Simple answer: He wouldn't. So what was Arkansas' response to failing to land him? A representative for the Razorbacks called Rick Barnes, whose job at Texas is immensely better. Not surprisingly, Barnes was not interested.

If you understand your job's strengths and weaknesses, you can better identify who will be the best coach available -- and willing -- to be your hire.

2. Don't get rejected publicly. When Iowa asked Tennessee's permission to interview Vols coach Bruce Pearl, he reacted as though he'd just been French-kissed by Camilla Parker Bowles. Supposedly, the Hawkeyes needed to prove to some fans Pearl would not be interested, but that was like throwing up a halfcourt shot in the first minute of a Final Four game just to prove you can't make it. It's pointless.

Seeing others reject a job makes subsequent candidates more leery about the detriments of the position -- and it drives up their prices. With agents and search firms available to handle behind-the-scenes contacts, no school needs to be in a position to be publicly rejected.

3. Plan ahead. Some ADs go through a full season knowing they will hire a basketball coach when it's over, but they avoid getting the hiring process started until the current coach is gone. Would a coach construct a game plan after the opening tip?

Any coaching search still continuing after three weeks -- South Florida's, for instance -- is going badly. Arkansas let Stan Heath go because it believed Gillispie would accept the job, then it was left scrambling for another option. Its "plan" consisted simply of arrogance.

4. No search committees. More schools are starting to realize what a disaster it can be to allow biology professors and student body presidents to have input into hiring a coach. But just as doctors continue to vaccinate for diseases that have vanished from this country, it's important to remind everyone of the dangers of search committees. They slow progress, distort the process and involve too many people who have no idea what they're doing.

Other than that, they are a great idea.

75Zag
05-05-2014, 11:33 AM
Time for a GU assistant to be given a chance at a head coaching gig. I know most of you want to see Few still coaching GU on his 96th birthday - which I guess is OK with me, but it seems like assistants on a successful program like GU should be able to spread their wings and fly.

Go Bulldogs - Next Year!

Angelo Roncalli
05-05-2014, 11:36 AM
Time for a GU assistant to be given a chance at a head coaching gig. I know most of you want to see Few still coaching GU on his 96th birthday - which I guess is OK with me, but it seems like assistants on a successful program like GU should be able to spread their wings and fly.

Go Bulldogs - Next Year!

Billy Grier
Leon Rice
Ray Giacoletti

75Zag
05-05-2014, 11:49 AM
Billy Grier
Leon Rice
Ray Giacoletti

Ok, sorry - I should have said Power Conference head coaching gig - my definition of "flying". May be different from yours.

Go Bulldogs - Next Year!

CDC84
05-05-2014, 11:53 AM
Oregon State has had two winning seasons since 1990. Why would any competent coach want to coach there? Dead end job.

Angelo Roncalli
05-05-2014, 12:06 PM
Ok, sorry - I should have said Power Conference head coaching gig - my definition of "flying". May be different from yours.

Go Bulldogs - Next Year!

Grier turned down Oregon State before they hired Robinson.

Rice turned down WSU before Moos hired Kent.

CDC84
05-05-2014, 03:00 PM
More on the Oregon State situation:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-05-05/oregon-state-miserable-basketball-program-tall-task-hiring-new-coach

seacatfan
05-05-2014, 04:38 PM
Agree the firing of Craig Robinson is overdue but it's going to be difficult to bring in a good coach to turn things around. It's getting harder and harder to remember that this was once a successful program under Ralph Miller.

Angelo Roncalli
05-05-2014, 04:47 PM
Agree the firing of Craig Robinson is overdue but it's going to be difficult to bring in a good coach to turn things around. It's getting harder and harder to remember that this was once a successful program under Ralph Miller.

Gotta think that DeCuire will be one of the names that pops up.

siliconzag
05-05-2014, 05:25 PM
I was thinking Ralph Miller.

No offense 23dpg, but Ralphie couldn't carry Slats Gill's water pail. His last game was against Seattle U at MacArthur Court in the Regionals. He was one game short of 600 victories. Seattle U won and he finished with a "paltry" 599. He was of the Hank Iba School of Basketball, and sometimes would win games by scores of 25-22. Talk about deliberate! While he was greatly admired and very foxy, he was not a favorite among Seattle U fans who used do have epic battles with him, usually for the dubious honor of playing UCLA in the Western Regionals.

maynard g krebs
05-05-2014, 06:13 PM
No offense 23dpg, but Ralphie couldn't carry Slats Gill's water pail. His last game was against Seattle U at MacArthur Court in the Regionals. He was one game short of 600 victories. Seattle U won and he finished with a "paltry" 599. He was of the Hank Iba School of Basketball, and sometimes would win games by scores of 25-22. Talk about deliberate! While he was greatly admired and very foxy, he was not a favorite among Seattle U fans who used do have epic battles with him, usually for the dubious honor of playing UCLA in the Western Regionals.

The quote in question about the 3 pointer was, in point of fact, from Miller rather than Gill. That's all he was responding to.

As to the rest of this non sequitur, 2 time national coach of the year Miller's win total was 58 more than Gill's, and his spot in the Naismith Hall of Fame carries a bit of water with some. Keep in mind that he did it at OSU with mostly Oregon kids (Blume, Radford) who weren't highly recruited and under the radar sleepers like Steve Johnson. Wasn't until they were winning big that they could get recruits like Charlie Sitton.