PDA

View Full Version : John Blanchette's column today

Dogtownkid
03-13-2014, 07:36 AM
It looks like John Blanchette doesn't think highly of Baumgartner's bill requiring that U Dub and Gonzaga have a basketball game every season. As a matter of fact, it doesn't sound like he thinks too highly of Baumgartner himself.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/mar/13/grandstanding-baumgartner-wants-zags-huskies/

Not only does Baumgartner get his name in the paper, but he gets his picture too. Just in case we forget who he is.

gamagin
03-13-2014, 08:02 AM
It looks like John Blanchette doesn't think highly of Baumgartner's bill requiring that U Dub and Gonzaga have a basketball game every season. As a matter of fact, it doesn't sound like he thinks too highly of Baumgartner himself.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/mar/13/grandstanding-baumgartner-wants-zags-huskies/

Not only does Baumgartner get his name in the paper, but he gets his picture too. Just in case we forget who he is.

agree with Blanchette. otoh, why not do something like this -- opportunistic as it is -- when the same paper that derides him for doing so also goes along and puts the original bill and story ion P.1 along with our WCC championship (as IF they were equal in importance) and then puts the article calling this what it is, on P. 1 of the sports page above the fold ?

It works. That's why people do it.

DixieZag
03-13-2014, 08:03 AM
Well, he pretty well nailed it. NOt surprising.

We really are lucky to have the quality of sports-op ed in John that we do. I have lived in many major media markets and he would be a star in any of them.

Dogtownkid
03-13-2014, 08:05 AM
Dixie, I absolutely agree. Blanchette is really tops as a sportswriter.

sittingon50
03-13-2014, 08:54 AM
I agree. Not many Cougs do, however.

vandalzag
03-13-2014, 08:59 AM
I agree. Not many Cougs do, however.

I have never figured out why Blanchette is so anti-coug. Even when they are doing well he does not throw a lot of praise their way.

gamagin
03-13-2014, 09:15 AM
I have never figured out why Blanchette is so anti-coug. Even when they are doing well he does not throw a lot of praise their way.

Without specifics to discuss (and there is no need, really) I would say Blanchette has had a long, storied, consistent, career & WSU programs have generally not had the same. My issue with any school, its sports department, admin and fans, is the expectation that a sportswriter needs to be a fan and ergo defender and panderer to any program.

He walked into a situation where two "popular" sportswriters/columnists were panderers to Idaho and WSU in particular. To a fault, imo. At the expense of all the other schools in the inland empire, too. At least that's the way they came off. Of course those two schools were Div. 1 and the rest were in the various lesser leagues all the way down to the Big Sky, and even lower. But we all read the same paper, so it was sickening at times. Frank Burgess ALL America. but enough about that, let's see how the third string WSU/Idaho quarterback spent his summer . . . . .

Blanchette walked into this disparity and has steadfastly refused to become sappy about any of his subjects, except perhaps in an obit or an end of season stemwinder heaping praise on the deserving. Perhaps at times bending the other direction as well. But fact is there is no center in this situation, as far as I can tell.

GU & national and international interest in the basketball program. has pretty much pushed everyone else out of many pictures because of the status and interest it now commands. WSU wants back in. So does everyone else, at last in their dreams. Of course WSU has all the money in the world so the only thing left is to become the center of the universe again. at least according to WSU. So it goes.

My point is JB, whom I've known as long as he has been at the paper, deals with most teams at arms lengths while schools and fans want him to embrace them, their coach, tradition etc etc etc. imo. ANd he takes the heat for his independence. and we get the benefit, imo. I'll take the benefit any day.

hooter73
03-13-2014, 09:16 AM
A senator thinks he can legislatively dictate a basketball game? Yeah, because thats in the job description... ashamed hes a R at that.

Dogtownkid
03-13-2014, 09:24 AM
Not surprised that he's an R, though.

rennis
03-13-2014, 11:22 AM
My point is JB, whom I've known as long as he has been at the paper, deals with most teams at arms lengths while schools and fans want him to embrace them, their coach, tradition etc etc etc. imo. ANd he takes the heat for his independence. and we get the benefit, imo. I'll take the benefit any day.

Well written post. Blanchette is my favorite sports writer. I wish I could buy him a beer and listen to him talk. Actually, that's going on my bucket list.

americasteam
03-13-2014, 12:20 PM
I believe Baumgartner is doing this "tongue-in-cheek" as most people around here would like to see the 2 best teams in the state play each other. Blanchette's article is over the top himself. Mostly comedy, to get a chuckle. I could easily have seen former Governor Gregoire (D) make this suggestion (yes, I realize she wasn't in the legislature but she had her own methods as governor) and would we have gotten the same thing from Blanchette? I would hope so. Not a Democrat or Republican thing. I think Baumgartner was trying to be lighthearted. Highly doubt he thinks this is a serious issue.

hondo
03-13-2014, 12:32 PM
John Blanchette is also my favorite sports writer and he makes my subscription to the Review worth every penny I spend for it.