PDA

View Full Version : Which teams are we not wanting to see in our bracket? and why?

Bogozags
03-12-2014, 04:24 PM
T'is the season to get hyped-up and with great expectations, so what are the teams you don't want to face until the:

Final Four:

Arizona - just so athletic, long and they have a deep bench too.
Wisconsin - this year they are athletic and good defenders. They have been beaten but...
Louisville - They are athletic and quick...not so sure it would be fair to GBJ to guard Smith.
Syracuse - Athletic and Long doesn't fit our "success profile" where we can out finesse; however, they do have a thin bench.
Kansas - If they are healthy, they will be hard to beat. If not then they are just another good BCS team. Their PG position is not strong and is a weakness.
Duke - If they had just one above average post player, they would be in the "Not at all" category. They can be beaten but two things must happen: (1) We must play great for 40 minutes and (2) They must have an "average" game for us to compete with them.
Villanova - Extremely quick and athletic. Excellent shooters but no post players.
VCU - Shaka Smart works miracles with the talent he gets. They will be tournament ready.
WSU - This team is very good. They are athletic and quick AND can shoot well. As we found out last year, their defense has a "bite" to it.
MSU - has the best BBall coach in the country. He always gets them ready to play in the tournament. They are athletic, good defenders, excellent shooters and GREAT in transition

or Not at all!

Florida and Kentucky - These two teams are just too strong and athletic and would be total mismatches for us...imo

One last question, being objective which two teams do you think have what it takes to win it all?

I think it will be either Florida or Arizona.

MDABE80
03-12-2014, 05:43 PM
Well this isn't going to happen. We'll meet oneof those. I'lll be happy if we get past the first weekend. We might win one but beyond that I don't think we have the bigs necessary to advance..sad to say.

Ekrub
03-12-2014, 06:01 PM
I'd like to play Kentucky.

HenneZag
03-12-2014, 06:37 PM
I want to play Wichita State. That is all. And a sweet 16 would be nice.

ZagLawGrad
03-12-2014, 07:09 PM
Wichita State would kill this year's version of the Zags. No to seeing them.

HenneZag
03-13-2014, 07:39 AM

I agree that Wich State is a great team and they have an outstanding record, obviously. But they haven't played that tough of a schedule, and have not been tested as much as you may think.

As far as the Zags go they need to come into the tournament loose this year, with a nothing to lose mentality, last year there was a ton of pressure and expectation.

I want to see Wichita State, I think it would be a good game.

gonzagafan62
03-13-2014, 07:40 AM
Want to see:

Wichita State, UCONN St. Louis, Wisconsin, Virginia, North Carolina, Kansas (early with no Embid, I think they are very beatable now), Arizona. Why? I think we can very well compete. I think it would be another classic. Oklahoma, Memphis (different on a neutral court), Iowa (no defense), Kentucky, New Mexico, Ohio State, California, Utah, Coloorado, Pittsburgh, Florida State, Dayton

Back to the original questions I do not want to see:

Creighton, George Washington, Creighton, Virginia Commonwealth, Eastern Kentucky, American, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Louisville, SMU (in a first round game), Duke early, wouldn't mind Duke late, Sryacuse, Michigan, Oregon, Florida, San Diego State, Texas, Arizona State, Xavier, UNLV (I think they will win conference tournament), UCLA,

Teams that do not tilt the meter on me: Villanova, Oklahoma State, Baylor, The Rest of the SEC, Kansas State, Nebraska, Stanford, Southern Miss, La Tech, Providence, St. John's, St. Joe's

gonzagafan62
03-13-2014, 07:43 AM
I agree that Wich State is a great team and they have an outstanding record, obviously. But they haven't played that tough of a schedule, and have not been tested as much as you may think.

As far as the Zags go they need to come into the tournament loose this year, with a nothing to lose mentality, last year there was a ton of pressure and expectation.

I want to see Wichita State, I think it would be a good game.

HenneZag,

You remember that their SOS was pretty bad last year, too, right? They weren't "tested" mind you. LOL. SOS means nothing to me, anyway. Teams win games, teams lose games. It happens.

Mr Vulture
03-13-2014, 07:43 AM
Don't want to see any teams that have big athletic guards as I don't think we match up well with those teams. Other than that, I wouldn't want Florida in our bracket at all. I have zero problem playing Wichita State as the pressure will be on them this time.

HenneZag
03-13-2014, 07:47 AM
HenneZag,

You remember that their SOS was pretty bad last year, too, right? They weren't "tested" mind you. LOL. SOS means nothing to me, anyway. Teams win games, teams lose games. It happens.

Fair point. On the flip side they played like they had nothing to lose last year. Will the pressure get to them this year? Bottom line is I want to play them, it would be an interesting game with intriguing matchups.

gonzagafan62
03-13-2014, 07:49 AM
Fair point. On the flip side they played like they had nothing to lose last year. Will the pressure get to them this year? Bottom line is I want to play them, it would be an interesting game with intriguing matchups.

Totally agree. I got them on my list of teams I wanna see. But this matchup is one I wanna see BAD! If we get paired up in that region, I just hope we don't have to play an A-10 team in the first round.

kyle dixon
03-13-2014, 07:55 AM
I think I will take a couple of phrases from Coach Few about the Zags next opponent. "Let 'er rip" and "keep chopping wood." The Zags are in, and they will be prepared.

Zags11
03-13-2014, 08:18 AM
Bring it on. We are the underdogs. We are the misfits. We are the "lesser" zag team then normal. We are 1 and done. We are 28 win team cuz of sos and thats it. We will miss march. We will be a bubble team. We will make nit. We have a bad pg. We have a slow, horrible center. We have a pg/sg who only shoots well at home. We have a sg/sf who disappears on the offensive end. We have a power forward who cant rebound or defend.

Hahahahaha.

The critics were wrong. We are in march.....again. We won the wcc.... again. We won vegas.....on a "down" year. Watch the nation root for us again as we upset some big seeds. Feel it. Believe in it. GO DOGS.

Arneson
03-13-2014, 08:19 AM
Teams getting on fire from the 3 point line I feel like has burnt us more in the past than athletic guards. Think of the Wichita State game, Davidson, BYU. I think we can at least compete with any team so long as none of our players brake their ankles and we make our free throws.

Ekrub
03-13-2014, 08:37 AM

Maybe. But we aren't slouches this year. We have the same potential to get hot from three that they did last year. All the pressure would be on them in that game. They absolutely are good enough to get a 1 seed. But if I was able to pick a one seed to play it most definitely would be Wichita.

seacatfan
03-13-2014, 06:17 PM
Anybody see Arizona play today? That's why I keep saying they are a bad matchup. Demolished a decent Utah team. Up 34-13 at the half, coasted to 71-49 win. Their defense just completely stopped Utah from doing whatever they were trying to do on O. Turned the water off. Lowest point total in a Pac 10/12 Conference Tourney game ever. None of Ben Howland's UCLA teams or the Bennett's Wazzou teams held anyone down quite like that. Take away the road games at Oregon and Oregon St. and that's the level they've been playing at lately. They've definitely regrouped after Brandon Ashley's injury and have moved forward.

bartruff1
03-13-2014, 07:06 PM
Anyone, anytime, anywhere.... if Gonzaga can win their first game...I would enjoy seeing them play the best possible team...Florida, Arizona, Michigan, Syracuse ect.. .I don't think that the Shockers are anywhere near the best team but it would be a interesting game under the circumstances... the tournament is a krap shoot and anyone can win a game in a krap shoot..... it might as well be Gonzaga.

seacatfan
03-13-2014, 08:09 PM
Oops, the Arizona game was 71-39, not 49. Outside of the Big 10 conference, you just don't see teams get held under 40 points in a game.