PDA

View Full Version : LMU's new coach. Sounds like an asset : Mike Dunlap welcome to the WCC!

MDABE80
03-12-2014, 01:03 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24479936/loyola-marymount-hires-mike-dunlap-as-new-head-coach

Zagdawg
03-12-2014, 01:18 PM
He has a ton of experience from a ton of previous different coaching/assistant coaching jobs.

I think he will bring some new life to the LMU and help the WCC overall.

Welcome to the WCC.

seacatfan
03-12-2014, 02:05 PM
Huh. He was kind of a big name at one point. Declined to be the interim head coach one year at Arizona but was an assistant, before Lute officially retired and Sean Miller took over. He probably figured it was a lame duck situation. Certainly a respected name in coaching circles. Probably could've gotten a better gig than LMU I would think.

Mr Vulture
03-12-2014, 02:17 PM
I am sure he could have found a higher profile spot as an assistant with his resume. My guess is that he wanted to come and help out his alma mater get back to where they once were.

Huh. He was kind of a big name at one point. Declined to be the interim head coach one year at Arizona but was an assistant, before Lute officially retired and Sean Miller took over. He probably figured it was a lame duck situation. Certainly a respected name in coaching circles. Probably could've gotten a better gig than LMU I would think.

former1dog
03-12-2014, 02:24 PM
I don't know how they pay, but it seems to me that LMU would be a pretty good gig. Recruiting, relative to the rest of the conference, seems like it would be easier and you've got some storied (albeit long ago) history.

Hoopaholic
03-12-2014, 02:52 PM
I don't know how they pay, but it seems to me that LMU would be a pretty good gig. Recruiting, relative to the rest of the conference, seems like it would be easier and you've got some storied (albeit long ago) history.

one would think with their campus, setting and heart of LA that they could pick up some good table scraps from major BCS schools just within the LA basin area

Zagdawg
03-12-2014, 03:10 PM
He spent some time coaching in Australia also (it was quite a while ago--but he might still have some connections).

Malastein
03-12-2014, 04:22 PM
He was considered at several points for the Colorado job as well. He's well respected for his understanding of fundamentals of the game. Sounds like he was too much to of a disciplinarian in his stint as an NBA coach in Charlotte. Hard to project how well he'll do at LMU, but his name is strong enough that he could build the program up to prominence, if he gets the support he needs. Additionally, he could also successfully coach a few years and the. Make his way to a big conference job. I'd bet on the latter occuring if numerous teams in the WCC don't step up to make the conference a 4-5 tourney team league