PDA

View Full Version : An honest question. Really do wanna know where you stand

gonzagafan62
03-12-2014, 10:38 AM
Why do some of you believe that the WCC has "too long of a layoff" in between tournament games?

Quite frankly I believe we have won at least one game in the tournament 5 straight years, and during that stretch we have been to a sweet sixteen (albeit, that started this streak) however, I am just curious if you believe that this is detrimental to winning "multiple" games. I personally don't think so, but I just really wanna know why some of you think this.

Because we have beaten some really good teams in round one.

No need for arguing, just a healthy conversation please.

MTZag03
03-12-2014, 10:43 AM
It just seems like we come out flat and under prepared most of the time. More than likely that is a coaching issue and not a WCC issue. This year I'm grateful for the layoff to heal up.

gueastcoast
03-12-2014, 10:56 AM
IIRC Wichita State had a long layoff last year (and this year).

LongIslandZagFan
03-12-2014, 11:01 AM
Normally I am not a fan of the long wait... but... with all the nagging injuries the extra time is very welcomed.

The better KP's toe is the better.

NumberCruncher
03-12-2014, 11:38 AM
http://i.imgur.com/DLEfnFF.gif

Not a problem.

B-hamZag
03-12-2014, 11:51 AM
No problem with the rest, they need it. Not looking at last years team, when we played West Virginia, St Johns, and Florida state we played amazing the whole game and it was our first game in like 10 days. We blew out all of those teams, I remember hearing coaches and ESPN saying we looked like the most impressive team that day or this team could go to the final four if they play like that. etc. But then we went up with Syracuse, BYU, and Ohio State. Except the Ohio State game we got beat bad. Our issue is our seed the last 4 yrs . We have gone up against physical teams and can hit like 20,000 3s. We just need the right match up. We also missed years we could have been close to home, 1 in Spokane (2010) the other in Portland (2012) and probably this year back in Spokane. I really just want to see us back in the sweet 16 but i'm not sure it will happen this year......

rennis
03-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Numbercruncher has it. No way to logically argue the long layoff has any effect on Gonzaga in the first game. No. Way.

Everyone has the same # of days off by the round of 32, so you can't pin 2nd round losses on anything to do with the WCC tourney timing either.

MDABE80
03-12-2014, 12:17 PM
In past years, as you can see from the graphic) we've have quite a bit of time off. Our first game performances have been V's most of the time but the players looked flat against lesser competition. This year, we'll have 7 days off. This year as LIZ says, we need the time heal up.
Because of this team and the way it plays, I don't think it'll matter all that much. It'll be interesting to see where we land and against whom.

DixieZag
03-12-2014, 12:24 PM
I guess it is statistically proven it doesn't really matter. In some of those years, being out of sight, out of mind, early may have cost us a seed or two. Imagine had the committee seen last night's game on Thursday or Friday, we'd be penciled in the next day. Plus, they'd probably have turned it off at halftime. ;)

Whatever impact it may or may not have, it can be made up for with tough play and defense. Roll it out, see what happens.

primal23
03-12-2014, 12:37 PM
http://i.imgur.com/DLEfnFF.gif

Not a problem.

This, and the two losses, Indiana was after the JH fallout, and the Davidson, well no one was stopping Curry.

CdAZagFan
03-12-2014, 01:08 PM
Agree that the time off is good to heal - although the difference between 7 and 10 days won't likely change Kevin's toe issue. I don't like the layoff for two reasons: Reason 1: I think it is harder to get back into rhythm. While the chart above shows wins, it doesn't show issues like last year when we came out flat against Southern and almost lost to a 16 seed. And Reason 2: I don't like how Selection Sunday happens right after all the big conferences just wrap up, and the early ticket punchers are but a distant memory. I personally feel that most years GU gets seeded at least 1-2 seeds below where they should. Hence my theory that Fresher in Mind = Better Seeding Potential.

BTB
03-12-2014, 01:11 PM
Our issue is our seed the last 4 yrs . We have gone up against physical teams and can hit like 20,000 3s. We just need the right match up.

I always here this excuse and, not to be offensive, but it is just BS. I totally agree we have had some crappy draws (mostly Wichita St. last year and Davidson.. I mean come on, we were a number 1 seed and the team we played has been a top 5 program for the last two years now..) but in March Madness NOBODY gets the "right" matchup. Every single team left in the round of 32 can play physical and can score when they play well. At some point Gonzaga just needs to win those tough games. That's what sets apart the very good teams from the truly great teams. Being able to win those tough ones.

I'm not ragging on the Zags or the coaching staff at all, I think they are great and they've proven they can win in the tourney in the past. It's just been a while. Every single year I think "this will be the year we make it to the Elite 8.."

But the truth is, I think that THIS year is the year we will make a deep run :pray: