PDA

View Full Version : Our own honest GU seeding and location game.

Zags11
03-12-2014, 07:24 AM
Start with 100 bulldog points,

+50 for correct seed

+25 for right location

+25 for right day selection

+50 for right game time

-10 for each seed off.

-5 for wrong location

-10 for wrong day selection

-10 for wrong time selection.

Winner gets full bragging rights for a year. :)

Zags11
03-12-2014, 07:26 AM
My honest guess:

6 seed in spokane, washington

Friday afternooon

Game time: 4:20pm.

DixieZag
03-12-2014, 07:29 AM
8 Seed

in San Diego

versus Arizona State

Thursday 5:45 p.m.

jazzdelmar
03-12-2014, 07:33 AM
One of these cold teams....not a hot one, as per ESPN

Top 10 hottest teams

1. Louisville Cardinals (Per-possession scoring margin over past 10 games: plus-0.29)

All season long, the Cardinals have absolutely feasted on the teams in the bottom half of the American Athletic Conference, a domination that's reflected in the "plus-0.29" shown above. Then for good measure Rick Pitino's group ended the season by giving the same treatment to Connecticut, beating the Huskies 81-48 in Louisville. You're still looking at a team that's 0-2 against Memphis, of course, but there's no doubt the Cards finished strong.

2. New Mexico Lobos (plus-0.19)

Craig Neal's men have played outstanding defense late in the season, holding Mountain West opponents to just 0.91 points per possession over the past 10 games. In fact, in that stretch opposing offenses were held to 39 percent shooting on their 2-pointers. If the Lobos are labeled a "surprise team" in about 10 days, I'm not sure it'll really be all that surprising.

3. Tennessee Volunteers (plus-0.19)

Cuonzo Martin's team owes part of its late-season statistical excellence to a rather uncharitable 76-38 thrashing of in-state rival Vanderbilt in Knoxville on March 1. Still, a team that can throw Jordan McRae, Jarnell Stokes and Jeronne Maymon at you is certainly formidable. Assuming UT earns a bid, this team can make some noise in the brackets.

The Cavaliers' wins over their last 10 games came by an average margin of 15 points.

4. Virginia Cavaliers (plus-0.18)

It's no surprise to find Tony Bennett's team here: Virginia's two ACC losses were by four points (at Duke) and six points (at Maryland, in overtime). Conversely, the wins came by an average margin of 15 points. Doubt the Cavaliers at your own risk.

5. Kansas Jayhawks (plus-0.16)

The interesting aspect of KU's very good track record over the past 10 games is that Joel Embiid sat out three of the contests. The Jayhawks are naturally more dangerous with a player of Embiid's potential, but also bear in mind they're not helpless without him -- if they have to play without him.

6. Villanova Wildcats (plus-0.16)

When they're not playing Creighton, Jay Wright's men are undefeated in calendar year 2014. Also note that in his past three outings, Darrun Hilliard has averaged 21 points. Hilliard and his teammates appear to be peaking at a good time.

7. Arizona Wildcats (plus-0.13)

Brandon Ashley was lost to injury in the third minute of the first of these 10 games, yet Arizona still shows up here on a list of the hottest late-season teams. The Wildcats would, of course, be a better team with Ashley. Then again they're also a strong outfit as is.

8. Duke Blue Devils (plus-0.12)

This is impressive: Duke played Syracuse and North Carolina two times apiece over these 10 games and still came out ahead by 0.12 points per trip. I know people everywhere are surprised by Virginia and puzzled by the Orange, but don't lose sight of the Blue Devils.

9. Virginia Commonwealth Rams (plus-0.12)

The Rams caught a bit of good fortune late in the season, when their past 10 opponents hit just 27 percent of their 3-point attempts. That, plus VCU's usual success at forcing turnovers, meant those 10 opposing offenses scored just 0.91 points per possession.

10. San Diego State Aztecs (plus-0.12)

Steve Fisher's men were a model of consistency all season long in Mountain West play, taking care of the ball, drawing fouls and playing outstanding D. All of the above were on display during the Aztecs' closing 10-game stretch.

Top 10 coldest teams

Now it's time to look at the coldest teams around, but first I want to define our terms. I care about tournament teams. It certainly won't come as news to you, for instance, to learn that TCU hasn't fared especially well over the past 10 games.

And teams such as California, Minnesota and Xavier, to take three examples from the bubble, have not performed especially well over the past 10 games either. Now those three are at risk for missing the NCAA tournament entirely. And since I'm interested in programs that we think will indeed make the field of 68, I've limited myself here to teams currently projected as No. 10 seeds or better by my colleague Joe Lunardi.

Without further ado, here are the 10 coldest solid-tournament-trajectory teams over the past 10 games:

Over the last 10 games, the Horns have hit just 44 percent of their 2s.

1. Texas Longhorns (Per-possession scoring margin over last 10 games: minus-0.02)

Over the past 10 games, the Longhorns have really struggled to get the ball in the basket, connecting on just 44 percent of their 2-pointers and 31 percent of their 3-pointers. In addition, their opponents have stopped committing turnovers almost entirely. Playing the Horns turns any offense into Wisconsin for a game.

2. Kansas State Wildcats (minus-0.01)

Late in the season K-State has been committing more turnovers than its opponents, attempting fewer free throws than the opposing team does and suffering from poor rebounding at both ends of the floor. Good field-goal defense has helped to minimize these issues, but the Wildcats still have been outscored over their past 10 games.

3. Arizona State Sun Devils (minus-0.01)

There are plenty of highly successful coaches who de-emphasize offensive rebounding in exchange for peace of mind when it comes to transition defense. But if you're going to do that, as Herb Sendek does, it helps to be an excellent defensive rebounding team. And with the Sun Devils only "fair" in that department, ASU's posting offensive and defensive rebounding rates that are both about 10 percentage points worse than its past 10 opponents'.

4. Iowa Hawkeyes (0.00)

There's no doubt about it: The Hawkeyes have been highly entertaining late in the season. Fran McCaffery's men have been scoring like crazy. But so have their opponents. Over the past 10 games, opposing offenses have connected on a whopping 54 percent of their 2-point shots against Iowa.

5. Pittsburgh Panthers (0.00)

Fairly good 3-point shooting (36 percent) has allowed the Panthers to tread water during a 10-game stretch in which Jamie Dixon's men have converted on just 43 percent of their attempts inside the arc. In terms of season totals, Pitt looks respectable on a per-possession basis, but that's based mostly on games played in January, not February or March.

6. Massachusetts Minutemen (plus-0.01)

The wins the Minutemen recorded in November against Nebraska and New Mexico look fantastic now, but once Derek Kellogg's men got to A-10 play they consistently scored only about as many points as they allowed. In fact, the per-possession numbers from UMass over the past 10 games aren't all that far off from the team's season totals in conference play.

7. Syracuse Orange (plus-0.01)

Jim Boeheim's team simply has not been able to make shots late in the season, hitting just 43 percent of its 2s over the past 10 games. Opposing teams have fared much better from the field, but Syracuse has managed to stay in most of these games thanks solely to a huge turnover advantage.

8. Iowa State Cyclones (plus-0.02)

The Cyclones opened the regular season 14-0 and posted wins over Michigan, BYU and Iowa. It was an excellent start, but once Fred Hoiberg's men reached Big 12 play, they outscored opponents by just 0.01 points per possession. The past 10 games have therefore represented an improvement of sorts for ISU.

9. Memphis Tigers (plus-0.02)

I don't usually find fault with an offense that connects on 56 percent of its 2s the way Memphis has over the past 10 games. But there's a first time for everything, and the problem for Josh Pastner & Co. late in the season has been turnovers. The Tigers have given the ball away on 21 percent of their possessions over that stretch.

10. Saint Louis Billikens (plus-0.02)

Similar to some other members of this "coldest" club, the late-season performance of the Billikens really isn't that different from what we saw from this team earlier in the season. It's just that Jim Crews' team was winning close games without losing any of them -- up until two weeks ago. The Billiken defense is still excellent but this offense simply lacks opportunities: SLU doesn't pursue offensive rebounds but it does commit turnovers at a healthy rate.

LongIslandZagFan
03-12-2014, 07:38 AM
9 seed in St. Louis (great for Woohoo)

Friday evening

7:00 PM EST

Zagnificent
03-12-2014, 07:39 AM
7 Seed

in Raleigh, NC

vs. 10 Pittsburgh

on Friday Afternoon @ 4:20pm

Gozags99
03-12-2014, 07:46 AM
I'm I off base, or is Jerry Palm of CBS rediculous? After the WCC Tournament Championship, he states that GU is about an 11 seed. The new RPI (per CBS) for the Zags is 16.

Hoopaholic
03-12-2014, 07:46 AM
8 Seed

in San Diego

versus Arizona State

Thursday 5:45 p.m.

This

gonzagafan62
03-12-2014, 07:55 AM
8 seed in St. Louis

Versus Iowa

Friday Evening 7PM EST

B-hamZag
03-12-2014, 07:58 AM
7 seed
San Diego
Friday
4:20pm

CdAZagFan
03-12-2014, 08:01 AM
10 seed in Milwaukie
Versus Ohio State
Thursday, 1PM PST

No love from the committee this year… Another reason I don't like this long layoff, GU gets pushed to the background in the next 10 days.

DixieZag
03-12-2014, 08:03 AM
10 seed in Milwaukie
Versus Ohio State
Thursday, 1PM PST

No love from the committee this year… Another reason I don't like this long layoff, GU gets pushed to the background in the next 10 days.

Well, I agree with that. Our numbers are that of a 6-7, and that's why I went with 8 and it would not surprise me if we're a 9. 10 seems to be getting a little high but I would take it in a heart beat over the 8/9.

I keep saying it - get ready to be outraged.

Worthington
03-12-2014, 08:11 AM
8 seed in St. Louis
Versus Oklahoma State
Friday, 6PM

Wichita St. up next

gonzagafan62
03-12-2014, 08:15 AM
Well, I agree with that. Our numbers are that of a 6-7, and that's why I went with 8 and it would not surprise me if we're a 9. 10 seems to be getting a little high but I would take it in a heart beat over the 8/9.

I keep saying it - get ready to be outraged.

Even if we get an 11 "as our very loyal friend Jerry Palm predicts, I am not going to be outraged by any seeding. This team has done a remarkable job over the course of this season. Winning 28 games, and winning the automatic bid into the NCAA tournament is an outstanding accomplishment for this team in particular. Never giving up and playing with great defensive efficiency. Zags are going to be a tough out again this year in the tournament. I don't care what seed we are, I just wanted to be in the dance in the first place. Get in and anything can happen. Go Zags!!!!!!

former1dog
03-12-2014, 08:19 AM
San Diego
6th Seed
Opponent will be Harvard

Goshzagit
03-12-2014, 08:38 AM
I'm I off base, or is Jerry Palm of CBS rediculous? After the WCC Tournament Championship, he states that GU is about an 11 seed. The new RPI (per CBS) for the Zags is 16.

Well, who knows, maybe our RPI will end up higher than our seed!? Its about even now, according to Jerry Pud...err...Palm.

Goshzagit
03-12-2014, 08:39 AM
8 seed.
San Diego.
vs Okie St.

buenaparkzag
03-12-2014, 08:54 AM
7 seed
San Diego
Friday
6:15 p.m.(PDT)

TheGonzagaFactor
03-12-2014, 08:59 AM
10 seed
San Diego
Thursday
4:20 PT

tinfoilzag
03-12-2014, 09:17 AM
10 seed
Raleigh, N.C.
Friday
3:20 p.m. (EST)

Ekrub
03-12-2014, 09:34 AM
10 seed
Raleigh, N.C.
Friday
3:20 p.m. (EST)

Vs davidson

gonzagafan62
03-12-2014, 09:34 AM
Vs davidson

:(

DixieZag
03-12-2014, 09:38 AM
Vs davidson

Will Mrs. Curry be there?

Every cloud = silver lining

BobZag
03-12-2014, 10:10 AM
12 seed
In Buffalo
Vs Kansas
On Thursday

DixieZag
03-12-2014, 11:26 AM
12 seed
In Buffalo
Vs Kansas
On Thursday

Doomed.

:starwars:

rennis
03-12-2014, 11:29 AM
I'm posting this without seeing other's guesses, sorry if anyone else has this:

7 Seed
Milwaukee
Thursday/Saturday game(s)
5pm tip-off

McZag
03-12-2014, 12:18 PM
8 Seed
St. Louis
Thursday
Afternoon (?)
Against George Washington

Zags11
03-12-2014, 03:55 PM
Bump.

Watch jaws hit the ground when they....."gonzaga in spokane...."

Goshzagit
03-12-2014, 04:11 PM
8 seed.
San Diego.
vs Okie St.

I posted this fun prediction well before Lunardi posted his updated Bracketology this evening.

Joey Brackets 3/12 updates can be found HERE (http://espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology).

A coinkadink!

Jumped an entire seed line -- from lowest 9 to...

CdAZagFan
03-12-2014, 04:35 PM
Just saw on ESPN that BYU is now on Lundardi's "Last Four In" line - that is a dangerous spot because in the next week and a half, a lot of teams will be moving in and out of those last four spots. Before last night's game someone on there was talking about how BYU and GU's lines were fairly even - they in fact said BYU may have a more impressive resume. So if BYU is that close to the line, then GU might be in that lower 10-12 seed range...

kclubfounder
03-12-2014, 04:48 PM
6 seed
San Diego
Friday
1st game of the evening session (approximately 4:40 PM PDT)

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-12-2014, 05:27 PM
in St. Louis with Wichita the #1 (for a bonus point!)
Friday game
2nd afternoon game, approx 2:45pm St. Louis time tip off

zagamatic
03-12-2014, 07:55 PM
While playing a cupcake in Spokane would be great for the first weekend, it ain't gonna happen. So......it's actually quite simple, prepare, scout and play like there's no tomorrow no matter where, who or when we play. In other words, embrace the spirit of the tournament and leave it all on the court.
And before I get blasted, I'm not saying that we aren't going to get to play in Spokane. Just saying N E X T!

Zags11
03-12-2014, 09:16 PM
While playing a cupcake in Spokane would be great for the first weekend, it ain't gonna happen. So......it's actually quite simple, prepare, scout and play like there's no tomorrow no matter where, who or when we play. In other words, embrace the spirit of the tournament and leave it all on the court.
And before I get blasted, I'm not saying that we aren't going to get to play in Spokane. Just saying N E X T!

BLASTED!!!!!!! ;)

ZagaZags
03-12-2014, 09:24 PM
7 seed.

Zags11
03-12-2014, 09:29 PM
7 seed.

Thats it? Lol

ZagaZags
03-12-2014, 09:35 PM
Thats it? Lol

Did you want my honest answer of my kool aid answer?

Zags11
03-12-2014, 10:27 PM
No. Honest. Just where is location and time?
:)

MJ777
03-13-2014, 10:49 PM
7 Seed vs. 10 Nebraska
San Diego @ 6:13 PM on Friday

ZagaZags
03-13-2014, 10:59 PM
Bump.

Watch jaws hit the ground when they....."gonzaga in spokane...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBeUGqeYsQg

Zags11
03-14-2014, 05:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBeUGqeYsQg

Oooooh yeeeeea!!

ZagaZags
03-14-2014, 08:51 AM
;)
Oooooh yeeeeea!!

Zags11
03-14-2014, 09:54 PM
Bump. Selection sunday soon.

Goshzagit
03-17-2014, 05:36 AM
8 seed.
San Diego.
vs Okie St.

Posted on 3/12 @ 9:39am. Not overly thrilled I guessed correctly, yet it is what it is...

ZagMan in Philly
03-17-2014, 05:45 AM
Posted on 3/12 @ 9:39am. Not overly thrilled I guessed correctly, yet it is what it is...

Nice guess.
This will be the best game of the first two days IMO.

Zags11
03-17-2014, 08:52 AM
I posted this fun prediction well before Lunardi posted his updated Bracketology this evening.

Joey Brackets 3/12 updates can be found HERE (http://espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology).

A coinkadink!

Jumped an entire seed line -- from lowest 9 to...

You are the WINNER! Creepy winner as you must be on the selection committee. ;). Awesome picking.