PDA

View Full Version : The Day After (the conference tournament championship).

Reborn
03-12-2014, 04:07 AM
It's now the day after the conference tournament championship. I'm smiling my biggest smile so far this year. I am glowing inside with joy. I am so glad I am a Zag. I know all of ZagNation is glowing brightly this morning. We are so proud of our team. I know I am. And I believe this has been a team, and a season like no other, and I will always remember this team for what they have accomplished (so far) this season...despite all of the adversity and challenges. I feel that the blessing behind all of the injuries is that the Zags are peaking at the right time, and there is a chemistry, and a quality of this team (the spirit or fire of this team), that has been built by overcoming diversity and finding it's strength in team work, passing and excellent defense.

I totally believe Mark Few and his staff should have been coaches of the year. It is their best effort so far, imo. They faced challenges that no other Zag team since '99 had, maybe with the exception of the mushroom season, but I think the injury, and flu bugs were more difficult to deal with. Mark Few certainly proved to me that all the praise that he receives is very accurate, and he's one of a kind. At the beginning of the year I wondered how this years team could give me the joy that last years team gave me and I'm sure us all. It was a great team. I wondered how Few could build a team this year to compete with a team like that. And he, and his staff, did. I don't know about you, but in ways I like this team better. They have won my heart just as last years team did.

The game last night was a work of art, a classic game, for Few and his staff. It was a clinic on offensive play. It was just so beautiful to watch. It was probably as close to perfection as it could be. They pretty much destroyed a pretty dang good team in one half in the same way they did the night before against St. Mary's. And we have to be so proud of our team because they are the players and THEY did it out there on the court. They perfected a perfect game plan written by the coaches.

I wondered all year how this team could be as good as they have become when maybe it's best player has been playing all season with a really bad injury for a basketball player, turf toe. It's a marvel how the coaches and players have a adopted a plan on how to play such beautiful basketball and WIN with the TURF TOE. Who could imagine a team with a player as great as Kevin Pangos winning they way they have, when their star can only score at the foul line, and shoot O for several games in a conference tournament. Thats a credit to Kevin and to the team. They adapted beautifully, and the coaches had to put a plan together for the team to be able to accomplish what they have so far.

And yes, I need to give a lot of credit to David Stockton. I have been one of his chief critics, and I admire and respect David so much for what he did this year. I will always remember him as a great player on a great team. What I admire most about David is how he stood up to the criticism and showed so many people who he really is. I can not remember two players improving so much in one year as David and Sam, and to top it all off, they are roommates and best friends. Its a great story I think. David has for sure been a magician, a maestro conducting a brilliant team. but more then that because we all knew he could pass, he became a scorer when he had to be one. And won a few very important games for us, including one in the tournament against Santa Clara. In fact he led us against Santa Clara in two of the three victories and his buddy Sam led us in the other one. And finally, David has become a defensive player a believed he could never be. And in case you are reading this and don't know him, he is 5' 10" and probably weight 155 or 60 and may be the toughest player on the team. I know he is mentally.

I've so much to say about this time, but I need to stop for now. Thank you Gonzaga basketball team. And the best is yet to come.

Go Zags!!!

jazzdelmar
03-12-2014, 04:14 AM
born, glad youre doing well...we can always count on you for a ray of sunshine. but, one thing, my friend. abe is one of the good guys....nothing like some who took after us a while back. just saying.....stay strong....

MTZag03
03-12-2014, 04:28 AM
I'm assuming that's some private message between you two, because I got nothing about Abe in there. Maybe I omitted a line when I read.

Anyway, I agree regarding the fire of this team. I have actually enjoyed this season tremendously and feel that we are perfectly positioned for a 7 seed and run. Even if we lose our first game in the tourney, this team can hold their heads quite high with what they have overcome.

ZagMan in Philly
03-12-2014, 04:31 AM
Good morning Reborn, good stuff.
We are going dancing again, and that is a treat for Zagnation. We are so bless in so many ways.
Abe was chit chatting with some of us online during the whole tournament, and it was fun. He is one of the good guys for sure.
Ok, so we are on our way to ......good luck to the Zags (ladies too).

Reborn
03-12-2014, 06:03 AM
Good morning Reborn, good stuff.
We are going dancing again, and that is a treat for Zagnation. We are so bless in so many ways.
Abe was chit chatting with some of us online during the whole tournament, and it was fun. He is one of the good guys for sure.
Ok, so we are on our way to ......good luck to the Zags (ladies too).

I do know MDABE is a good guy, and even a great guy. Sorry for my mean streak, ABE. I did over react for sure. I've been good for so long now, that I just had to be a bad a** for a moment to get it out of me. For some reason I can't be good all the time. I am not the "perfect" Zag for sure. My mouth can get me into trouble. Sorry guys!!!

Thanks Jazz. I do feel a little better, but I am struggling with dizziness now when I exert myself a little, like when I get up and go up stairs, and really even when I get up from sitting and walk. When I bend over to pick something up, and then stand up, I really get dizzy. The other day at school I walked up a flight of stairs to take the kids upstairs to their classroom and I almost fainted. Hoping this passes. SOON.

bigblahla
03-12-2014, 06:16 AM
Nice "born" specially the Stocks praise...yes he and Sam have truly stepped up to the challenge. I agree about coach and staff as I've always thought that 25 wins before the conference tournament was a good benchmark for this Zag TEAM and lookee lookee we are 28-6. Given the right match-ups this TEAM can surprise us all in the Dance.

Go!! Zags!!!

ZagsGoZags
03-12-2014, 06:19 AM
Wow Reborn, I am impressed.
You manned up and owned that you went past a line.
I know your post was from a different thread, but I want to remind you that your passion comes from taking ABE's (and many others) comments seriously. Seriously enough to get irritated when you think their observations are not well thought out. This all comes, IMO, from the caring and passion you have for our ZAGS. I am not saying ABE's comments were not well thought out (I thought BYU's defense stepped it up those last 8 minutes too). What I am saying is that I am impressed at how you owned it. When I read your post my eyes were popping out with surprise (and my first thought was 'he must have gone off his meds'). LOL

Reborn
03-12-2014, 06:25 AM
Wow Reborn, I am impressed.
You manned up and owned that you went past a line.
I know your post was from a different thread, but I want to remind you that your passion comes from taking ABE's (and many others) comments seriously. Seriously enough to get irritated when you think their observations are not well thought out. This all comes, IMO, from the caring and passion you have for our ZAGS. I am not saying ABE's comments were not well thought out (I thought BYU's defense stepped it up those last 8 minutes too). What I am saying is that I am impressed at how you owned it. When I read your post my eyes were popping out with surprise (and my first thought was 'he must have gone off his meds'). LOL

Thanks! You are right. I am off of them. lol As we know, and that is not easy and a lot of fun. The doc had me on oxycodon, which is pretty strong pain med.

wnczagfan
03-12-2014, 06:27 AM
I do know MDABE is a good guy, and even a great guy. Sorry for my mean streak, ABE. I did over react for sure. I've been good for so long now, that I just had to be a bad a** for a moment to get it out of me. For some reason I can't be good all the time. I am not the "perfect" Zag for sure. My mouth can get me into trouble. Sorry guys!!!

Thanks Jazz. I do feel a little better, but I am struggling with dizziness now when I exert myself a little, like when I get up and go up stairs, and really even when I get up from sitting and walk. When I bend over to pick something up, and then stand up, I really get dizzy. The other day at school I walked up a flight of stairs to take the kids upstairs to their classroom and I almost fainted. Hoping this passes. SOON.

Hey, Reborn!

I had something with those same type of symptoms….you should follow up with your doctor about it. They took my blood pressure standing, lying, and sitting to see if it was blood pressure related (it wasn't), but mine improved after taking an antibiotic and some asthma medications. I Think I must have had pneumonia, and they said I had exercised induced asthma; I had those same type of symptoms. It was disconcerting and depressing, but it did get better and I am back to normal. I struggled with it for about a month or so before they figured it out, so just keep following up with your doctor until they fix it.

Best,

wnczagfan

DarkZagRises
03-12-2014, 06:40 AM
Props to Rose on saying our name correctly in the post-game press conference. Not huge on BYU as a whole but Rose seems pretty classy.

Birddog
03-12-2014, 06:45 AM
Props to Rose on saying our name correctly in the post-game press conference. Not huge on BYU as a whole but Rose seems pretty classy.

You shouldn't have to give props to someone for getting your name right. That's a minimum standard IMO.

gonzagafan62
03-12-2014, 06:48 AM
You shouldn't have to give props to someone for getting your name right. That's a minimum standard IMO.

LaPhonso Ellis keeps saying Prizimik Karnowski instead of Shemmmick Karnowski.

wnczagfan
03-12-2014, 07:02 AM
LaPhonso Ellis keeps saying Prizimik Karnowski instead of Shemmmick Karnowski.

"Prism" for short, haha. To go with Barnum, Griffin Connor, and my recent favorite: last night they called David "John Stockton" once during the game.

DarkZagRises
03-12-2014, 07:07 AM

True, but it seemed noteworthy (to me anyway) given everything else that's gone on with other WCC coaches in the last few days / months. Both Walters and Keating seemed to go out of their way to say Gonzaga wrong in their losing press conferences... maybe more a statement on those two than Rose. But still... I've always had respect for him.

wnczagfan
03-12-2014, 07:09 AM
My favorite memories of the game:

Karnowski hitting those two clutch free throws. The bench was jumping up and down cheering!

David Stockton's monster block. Never saw that coming! (also the behind the back assist that almost was if Sam's shot had dropped).

Pangos with 11 points, all off free throws. Who'd have thought?

Senior Sam the Man with the smooth stroke and the "That's my ball" rebounds. Getting it done in style!

Kyle's late in the clock THREE!

Gary Bell - Awesome defense!

What a great game!

ZagMan in Philly
03-12-2014, 07:24 AM
Good to see this for coach Grier...

The University of San Diego has been invited to play in the CollegeInsider.com tournament, a bid that might have saved coach Bill Grier's job.