PDA

View Full Version : WCC Title + WCC Tourney Title + Top 15 RPI = Dancing in Spokane

GoZags
03-11-2014, 08:57 PM
There's a chance.

All I'm saying is there's a chance.

ZagaZags
03-11-2014, 09:01 PM
There's a chance.

So you're saying there's a chance........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCFB2akLh4s

Hoopaholic
03-11-2014, 09:02 PM
san diego is my guess wont give us our backyard but will give us west coast

Bocco
03-11-2014, 09:03 PM
There's a chance.

hoping you're right

ZagMan in Philly
03-11-2014, 09:03 PM
Will see how things shake out from other tournament games, yes there is a chance.

23dpg
03-11-2014, 09:08 PM
Anybody have an idea of what our RPI is right now?

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-11-2014, 09:10 PM
Anybody have an idea of what our RPI is right now?

16!!!

http://www.rpiforecast.com/live-rpi.html

MDABE80
03-11-2014, 09:17 PM
Somewhere I heard we'd need to be a 4th seed or better to stay home.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
And http://kenpom.com/ has us moving up as well. Most impressively, our defense is currently ranked 13th in the country. We usually are much better offensively than defensively. I think the role reversal this year...defense wins championships, as they say

Reborn
If any of the committee members watched that game tonight, and I would bet that they did, they saw a VERY GOOD Gonzaga team, especially in the first half. They also saw a tough team that plays defense. They held the #3 scoring team in the nation to 16 pts below their average. They saw a very disciplined basketball team, that can really pass and execute on the offensive end (4th in the country). And they can shoot the 3 (again 4th in the country in 3 pt %). I believe they should have seen a team who is at least a 7 seven seed. Objectively you would have to say that Gonzaga dominated BYU, who has an RPI of 31 and strength of schedule in the 30's. That is a damn good BYU team. Honestly, I'll put Gonzaga up against almost any team this year. We don't have the great home wins because of our conference, and the fact that very few elite teams would ever come to GU to play us. we'll see soon...Sunday.

Go Zags!!!

ps I love your positive attitude Go Zags! Way to go.

gonwick
03-11-2014, 09:33 PM
Every bracket I've seen has the zags as a 9. I just don't see how they could get spokane, although I like the optimism.

exclusivelee
03-11-2014, 09:48 PM
We need at least a 6 seed + San Diego State to get a 3 seed for us to have a chance at playing in Spokane

Worthington
03-11-2014, 09:51 PM
I think we'll be an 8 seed out west, 7 at best. Schedule was pretty weak this year, I doubt that the committee will reward us too much.

Zags11
03-11-2014, 10:45 PM
There's a chance.

Whooooa. No one is stealing my magic 8 ball thunder. I called it 1st. I deserve all the credit. I will fight. :boxing:

Zags11
03-11-2014, 10:46 PM
hoping zags11 is right

Fixed. Lol

CDC84
03-11-2014, 11:03 PM
Most impressively, our defense is currently ranked 13th in the country.

Going back, I think the highest defensive efficiency rating a Gonzaga team has reached before this year's crew is 36th. It's an amazing accomplishment when consider that this team doesn't physically have the makeup of a great defensive team.

GoZags
03-11-2014, 11:32 PM
Whooooa. No one is stealing my magic 8 ball thunder. I called it 1st. I deserve all the credit. I will fight. :boxing:

I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours. In a thread wondering if GU would get an at large I brought up Spokane.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?48953-Rude-Awakening-on-Selection-Sunday-Yahoo-story&p=986762#post986762

If you can beat Feb. 12 I will tip my cap to you. No fighting necessary.

Zags11
03-11-2014, 11:41 PM
Feb 10th. I said 28-5 and 5th seed in spokane.

in the thread "7-9 games left, what are the zags playing for." Idk how to link like you did.

caduceus
03-11-2014, 11:48 PM

in the thread "7-9 games left, what are the zags playing for." Idk how to link like you did.

See the little post numbers on the right side? Find your post, then right click on that post number, "copy link location" (or similar depending on browser), then paste the URL it into your new post.

Reborn
03-12-2014, 04:39 AM
Going back, I think the highest defensive efficiency rating a Gonzaga team has reached before this year's crew is 36th. It's an amazing accomplishment when consider that this team doesn't physically have the makeup of a great defensive team.

Thanks CDC84. One of my favorite posts. Defense wins championships.

DixieZag
03-12-2014, 07:38 AM
I think we best get mentally prepared to be hugely disappointed on Selection Sunday.

Yes, there's a chance. There's also a chance Natalie Portman and me can stroke up a furious white hot affair and run away to Chewelah

I am thinking we deserve a high 6 or low seven. And that's why I think we're an 8-9 on Sunday. Despite all their protestations about new years, being new years and nothing about nothing ever gets into there head, I think we're getting noodled in part b/c of last year. I am just hoping they decide to get cute again and put us in Wichita's bracket b/c I think there's a lot of pressure on them, they'll feel "weird" about playing us, we'll play looser, and if they start bricking. . .

Subtract a loss at Portland and Memphis and I think we'd be here at home, OTOH, 2 losses to SCU might have kept us out of the thing all together, so, there's that.

Reborn
03-12-2014, 07:48 AM
I'm thinking the Zags can get a 7 or 6 seed, and will play out west. Lunardi is accurate when it comes to who will be the teams that will be dancing in March. He's not so good in predicting what seeds they will be and where they will play.

MTZag03
03-12-2014, 08:03 AM
It would be a bit punitive to put the Zags as an 8/9 given that although OOC scheduling was weak, that was due to the loss to Dayton and the BIS falling through. It's not as though Few was trying to avoid tough games and load up on cupcakes. I understand why they would do it, but come on, the RPI is 16! Plus if they give us an 8/9 we would likely be shipped across the country to help protect the 1 seed (although that didn't happen with Wichita State last year).

B-hamZag
03-12-2014, 08:55 AM
I have been trying to find online with no luck what the lowest seed a team has been given with an RPI of 16ish. The best I found was Rutgers got a 6 seed with an RPI of 13. That’s tied for the highest RPI to receive a 6 since 2000...

Bogozags
03-12-2014, 09:01 AM
I think we best get mentally prepared to be hugely disappointed on Selection Sunday.

Yes, there's a chance. There's also a chance Natalie Portman and me can stroke up a furious white hot affair and run away to Chewelah

I am thinking we deserve a high 6 or low seven. And that's why I think we're an 8-9 on Sunday. Despite all their protestations about new years, being new years and nothing about nothing ever gets into there head, I think we're getting noodled in part b/c of last year. I am just hoping they decide to get cute again and put us in Wichita's bracket b/c I think there's a lot of pressure on them, they'll feel "weird" about playing us, we'll play looser, and if they start bricking. . .

Subtract a loss at Portland and Memphis and I think we'd be here at home, OTOH, 2 losses to SCU might have kept us out of the thing all together, so, there's that.

It funny that you mentioned Natalie Portman as she called me last evening and asked about you. She mentioned having heard about you and seemed a little interested. She wanted to know about you and told her you were a stellar guy, but you are balding, short and a little overweight. She was alright about all that; however, when I mentioned you were a GU fanatic, she said that would be the straw that broke the camel's back. She said thanks anyway and asked me not to mention the call BUT since I am also a GU fanatic, my loyalty is to you and not her. In conclusion, I believe you can do better...imo

Go Zags!

DixieZag
03-12-2014, 09:07 AM
It funny that you mentioned Natalie Portman as she called me last evening and asked about you. She mentioned having heard about you and seemed a little interested. She wanted to know about you and told her you were a stellar guy, but you are balding, short and a little overweight. She was alright about all that; however, when I mentioned you were a GU fanatic, she said that would be the straw that broke the camel's back. She said thanks anyway and asked me not to mention the call BUT since I am also a GU fanatic, my loyalty is to you and not her. In conclusion, I believe you can do better...imo

Go Zags!

I have done better, but I feel a little sorry for the poor kid. God, she's as needy as an adolescent. Anyway, she did end up calling in the middle of the night (like always). . . . .

And then my wife answered.

No way we get better than a 7 guys, no waayyy.

maynard g krebs
03-12-2014, 04:08 PM

She's a Harvard grad, so you blew it by saying "Natalie Portman and me", rather than the gramatically correct "Natalie Portman and I". Sorry to be the bearer of bad news:)

Oregonzagnut
03-12-2014, 04:36 PM
I just hope for a 7 seed. where it is located is secondary.

Bogozags
03-12-2014, 04:44 PM
Ya know, them Harvard people seem kinda smart at times but then again...I've heard some are not honorable???

Oh, I'd be surprised if we get a seven. I think an 8-9 BUT I am hoping for a 10 or 11. After all our OOC SOS was this pits this year, which is why I'm hoping we get a higher seed to stay away from the top half of the bracket.

ZagaZags
03-12-2014, 04:46 PM

Is this what you are looking for?
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?48801-Seven-to-nine-games-left-what-are-the-Zags-playing-for&p=982351#post982351

Zags11
03-12-2014, 04:52 PM
Is this what you are looking for?
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?48801-Seven-to-nine-games-left-what-are-the-Zags-playing-for&p=982351#post982351

Yes. Thank u.

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-12-2014, 05:16 PM
1-4 vs top 50 and two aweful losses.... we ain't getting spokane.

Goshzagit
03-12-2014, 05:18 PM
1-4 vs top 50 and two aweful losses.... we ain't getting spokane.

You sound like Jamie Zaninovich, who is a Selection Committee Member, who also recently stated we're 'just 1-4 vs Top-50'.

Not true!

BYU is ranked 34 and we beat them twice, so how is that possible??

I hope Jamie gets the memo before showing up to the conference room today...

kclubfounder
03-12-2014, 05:39 PM
I LOVE the optimism of the OP.

However, my belief is that we have no chance at Spokane unless we are a 4 seed because the committee would never punish a 1-4 by having them play Gonzaga in Spokane.

I think it would be a minor miracle to receive a 4 seed, so I think our "reward" for winning the conference and the conference tournament and having an RPI around 16-20 will be that we will be placed in San Diego as a 6 seed (plus or minus one). Anything worse would be unfair and anything better would be unjustified, in my humble opinion.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-12-2014, 05:51 PM
However, my belief is that we have no chance at Spokane unless we are a 4 seed because the committee would never punish a 1-4 by having them play Gonzaga in Spokane.

I think it would be a minor miracle to receive a 4 seed, so I think our "reward" for winning the conference and the conference tournament and having an RPI around 16-20 will be that we will be placed in San Diego as a 6 seed (plus or minus one). Anything worse would be unfair and anything better would be unjustified, in my humble opinion.

That sounds about right to me. I am guessing that we'll get the seven seed and that it will be in San Diego.

VinnyZag
03-12-2014, 06:14 PM
7 is probably GU's ceiling. On the other hand I'd probably rather see them as an 8/9 with a second round matchup against Villanova or Wichita than a 7 with a second rounder against Kansas or Duke.