PDA

View Full Version : Defensive 3 second violation; Shorter Shot Clock

former1dog
03-11-2014, 01:45 PM
The NCAA has been trying to get a higher scoring game. This year they emphasized to referee's to call the already existing hand checking rule and to favor the offensive player more in the charge/block conundrum.

If they took another couple of steps this off season, I would be in favor. The 2 ideas in the Title seem advisable.

- Defensive 3 second violation would penalize teams for "packing the paint" and open the game up.

- Shorter shot clock would make the game more uptempo.

Thoughts?

gonzagafan62
03-11-2014, 01:49 PM
Don't like it. Why change a game that is reaching a high level of popularity? This would just water down the game in my opinion.

What ain't broke, don't fix it. I think the game is as fair as it can get at this moment in time.

LongIslandZagFan
03-11-2014, 01:51 PM
Not necessary. Although IMHO it would benefit teams like GU with strong post presence.

former1dog
03-11-2014, 01:58 PM
What ain't broke, don't fix it. I think the game is as fair as it can get at this moment in time.

My personal opinion only, I like a higher tempo game and it would be more entertaining for me. I think this may be why the NCAA wants make rules making it easier for the offense to score.

NumberCruncher
03-11-2014, 01:59 PM
Don't like it. Why change a game that is reaching a high level of popularity? This would just water down the game in my opinion.

I'm with you, 62.

adoptedzag
03-11-2014, 02:07 PM
I'm fine with shortening the shot clock to 30 seconds like in the women's game. Defensive 3 seconds is "meh", I don't care much about. You spread out defense with long range shots, not legislating defense.

former1dog
03-11-2014, 02:11 PM
You spread out defense with long range shots, not legislating defense.

I still think you can run just about any defensive scheme(zone or man-to-man), but you don't get to cheat by having a guy slack off and not guard anyone with this rule.

Hoopaholic
03-11-2014, 02:29 PM
I still think you can run just about any defensive scheme(zone or man-to-man), but you don't get to cheat by having a guy slack off and not guard anyone with this rule.

why is it cheating if I decide to leave a person who can not shoot worht a lick and deploy my resources to someone else who can?

you going to outlaw double teams too?

zone will have to be outlawed as well

not a fan of this as I enjoy defense and defensive efforts

Hoopaholic
03-11-2014, 02:30 PM
My personal opinion only, I like a higher tempo game and it would be more entertaining for me. I think this may be why the NCAA wants make rules making it easier for the offense to score.

go watch the nba then or the developmental league.......

LongIslandZagFan
03-11-2014, 02:31 PM
why is it cheating if I decide to leave a person who can not shoot worht a lick and deploy my resources to someone else who can?

you going to outlaw double teams too?

zone will have to be outlawed as well

not a fan of this as I enjoy defense and defensive efforts

Slow down there champ... I don't think he isn't using it in that context.

a13coach
03-11-2014, 02:31 PM
Let's not kid our selves. The NCAA is considering these changes at the behest of the big schools who want to continue to attract the elite players that have the NBA style game. The rules implement this season were another step in the direction to get the college game to mirror the NBA, highlighting one on one iso's and letting the "more athletic" shine. It takes away the from the game IMO. If a team wants to hurry and get a shot up under 30 seconds they can do that if they want (ask the old LMU's team w/Kimble, Gathers, and Fryer). No need to cut the shot clock. Scoring is just fine leave it be, please.

former1dog
03-11-2014, 02:35 PM
go watch the nba then or the developmental league.......

Whoaaa there big guy. Little hot under the collar there for such a benign topic aren't ya? I've been watching by Gonzaga Bulldogs for 26 years now, I don't think I'm going to stop now.

Hoopaholic
03-11-2014, 02:50 PM
Whoaaa there big guy. Little hot under the collar there for such a benign topic aren't ya? I've been watching by Gonzaga Bulldogs for 26 years now, I don't think I'm going to stop now.

haaaaaa.....not at all(sometimes forum discussions can come off very poorly).....just saying if wide open offense, with no defense or team effort is your cup of tea then NBA is right up your alley .........I prefer to enjoy good solid basketball and dont watch the NBA specifically for these reasons so not sure why we want to ruin a good thing to simply mimic NBA when that is available for consumers but good solid team basketball would not be available for us consumers who enjoy that if we change the rules to penalize good defense

Hoopaholic
03-11-2014, 02:51 PM
Let's not kid our selves. The NCAA is considering these changes at the behest of the big schools who want to continue to attract the elite players that have the NBA style game. The rules implement this season were another step in the direction to get the college game to mirror the NBA, highlighting one on one iso's and letting the "more athletic" shine. It takes away the from the game IMO. If a team wants to hurry and get a shot up under 30 seconds they can do that if they want (ask the old LMU's team w/Kimble, Gathers, and Fryer). No need to cut the shot clock. Scoring is just fine leave it be, please.

bingo

willandi
03-11-2014, 02:52 PM
I am not saying I would support this, but if you want to change the game, use the Euro key, make all shots in the paint 1 point and add a half court arc for a 4 point shot. Otherwise I think the game is fine. Maybe mandate that 1/2 the OOC schedule must be out of your home state and that the major conferences must play mid-majors in a home and home for 1/4 of the OCC games. Also require all teams within a single conference to play all teams home and home. If it's a 16 team conference, no OOC. Stop the crap of the biggies only playing the other power in conference schools once each season.

wnczagfan
03-11-2014, 03:03 PM
haaaaaa.....not at all(sometimes forum discussions can come off very poorly).....just saying if wide open offense, with no defense or team effort is your cup of tea then NBA is right up your alley .........I prefer to enjoy good solid basketball and dont watch the NBA specifically for these reasons so not sure why we want to ruin a good thing to simply mimic NBA when that is available for consumers but good solid team basketball would not be available for us consumers who enjoy that if we change the rules to penalize good defense

Agreed. I don't watch the NBA because I don't enjoy it. I watch college basketball precisely because it is not the same as the NBA; it is more thoughtful, strategy oriented, where the teams have time to break down the defenses, where defense is as fun to watch as offense. If they mess around with it much more, they may find that they run off more audience than they attract.

scott257
03-11-2014, 03:04 PM
I would rather see them give some power back to the big guys on offense by doing away with the 3 second rule on offense. But as it is, they have a hard time enforcing that rule, can you imagine how bad they could screw things up trying to keep track of both the offensive and defensive players?

jpn17
03-11-2014, 03:09 PM
I can't stand the NBA so I dislike any rule changes that bring the style of college basketball closer to the NBA. No thanks.

Sarenyon
03-11-2014, 03:19 PM
I wouldn't mind going to 30 seconds for the clock.

ZagsGoZags
03-11-2014, 03:24 PM

NBA basketball is not interesting to me until the final championships - then the players play with the energy and desperation of the college BB game.

but the rule changes are not just for safety of players.

They are also for TV audiences, and even live crowds in the stands

In baseball in the 60's when scores got too low, they changed rules, to help the offense, lowered the pitchers mound, tightened the strike zone, etc. so the TV viewers could see more action. Today with better technology the broadcasters can zoom in the duel between batter and pitcher, but even so people would rather watch hits and baserunning than constant outs. In most sports Defense progresses faster than Offense, and most of the TV audiences are not as knowledgeable about the intricacies of defense, as the more blatant action in offense. Same for football and basketball. The crowds understand the ball going through the hoop, more than good defense which doesn't let the offense score much.

hondo
03-11-2014, 04:19 PM
The rules will change only if it is to the benefit of the elite. We ain't the elite.
30 second shot clock would lessen the effect of good coaching and strategy.
If I'm Kentucky I would be all for it.

BTB
03-11-2014, 05:55 PM
I don't agree with shortening the shot clock, it is perfect the way it is. I am not so sure about the defensive 3 in the key. This rule was created (I believe) in the NBA during the Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russel era. It makes sense in the NBA because if you have 7'6" Yao Ming standing in the paint the entire time and not moving it really doesn't allow anyone to attack the rim. The college game pretty much never has these types of ridiculous players and when we do they don't stick around long.

I do think that if an offensive player can't camp in the lane then a defensive player shouldn't be allowed to either.

Funny how people say they like good basketball but not the NBA.. the NBA playoffs are where the best basketball in the world is played..