PDA

View Full Version : OT: Rex Walters Post Game Press Conference

McZag
03-11-2014, 05:58 AM
If you get a chance, have a seat and give a listen to Rex Walters post game comments after the OT loss to BYU. Outside of some of Billy Grier's comments I have heard over the years, Rex's comments were some of the classiest I've heard from a WCC coach recently. Rex is one of the good guys in the league. He is building a truly competitive program, the right way, and I think USF will be a real challenge in the coming years.

Rose is a good guy too but Rex brings a spark to the league that we need. Hopefully he begins to put together a tough non-conference schedule.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865598382/WCC-tournament-live-blog-BYU-faces-San-Francisco-in-semifinals.html

MTZag03
03-11-2014, 06:03 AM
Can't watch it at work but that sounds really good. Rex has rubbed many of us the wrong way so I'm happy he is setting a good example.

sittingon50
03-11-2014, 06:04 AM
Does he think Sam could start for his club?

Ekrub
03-11-2014, 06:31 AM
If you get a chance, have a seat and give a listen to Rex Walters post game comments after the OT loss to BYU. Outside of some of Billy Grier's comments I have heard over the years, Rex's comments were some of the classiest I've heard from a WCC coach recently. Rex is one of the good guys in the league. He is building a truly competitive program, the right way, and I think USF will be a real challenge in the coming years.

Rose is a good guy too but Rex brings a spark to the league that we need. Hopefully he begins to put together a tough non-conference schedule.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865598382/WCC-tournament-live-blog-BYU-faces-San-Francisco-in-semifinals.html

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130722121935/motorstorm/images/thumb/2/25/Lolwut_pear.jpg/215px-Lolwut_pear.jpg

Oregonzagnut
03-11-2014, 06:36 AM
Rex is competitive and brash, but he has USF in the NIT without Doolin. There are 3-4 other coaches in the league that bother me more than Rex.

Ekrub
03-11-2014, 06:46 AM
Rex is competitive and brash, but he has USF in the NIT without Doolin. There are 3-4 other coaches in the league that bother me more than Rex.

Who? Rose, Reveno, Goode, Grier are all good guys. Bennett seems to be a dick to few but other than that isn't too annoying. Keating is a goon but not worse than Rex. Don't ever really notice Marty Wilson or the pacific coach. Rex's berating of players, calling dower out, doolin fight, and general attitude makes him the only guy to me who really deserves the crap he gets.

Zagdawg
03-11-2014, 06:58 AM
Agree-- if he did not finish tied for 2nd/3rd in the WCC, most college leadership teams would have shown him the door for encouraging his players to fight during practice.

Just because he says some nice things in a press conference does not make him a good guy in my book-- your actions are what make you what you are-- only need to ask all his ex-players and ex-coaches who have left the program how nice of a guy he is.

gonzagafan62
03-11-2014, 07:05 AM
Who? Rose, Reveno, Goode, Grier are all good guys. Bennett seems to be a dick to few but other than that isn't too annoying. Keating is a goon but not worse than Rex. Don't ever really notice Marty Wilson or the pacific coach. Rex's berating of players, calling dower out, doolin fight, and general attitude makes him the only guy to me who really deserves the crap he gets.

Keating, and Bennett are the only ones I like seeing lose on a continual basis.

LongIslandZagFan
03-11-2014, 07:20 AM
Still don't like Rex. The whole Doolin thing stinks to high heaven. The number of players that bailed on the program tells me that something isn't right there and the Doolin incident seems to be the cherry on top. Kenny on DC will tell you seven ways to Sunday that it is all an illusion and it was just a matter of Doolin wanting to be a quitter. So, Rex can SAY all the right things... I don't buy any of it. I think he is a bit of a charlatan.

GlacierZag
03-11-2014, 07:36 AM
Walters apologized for his comments last night. I also think it would be nice if he learned how to correctly pronounce Gonzaga.

-----------
Rex Walters ‏@USFBBallCoach 56m

Did not mean to offend any Mormons/BYU fans. I apologize if I did. I wasn't taking a shot at anyone. BYU won & deserved the W.
Expand
------------

dnj116
03-11-2014, 08:58 AM
Doug Gottlieb's tweet on Rex Walters:

‏@GottliebShow
Instead of OT, Rex Walters will gather the teams at mid court and make the teams fight to the death…#CodyDoolin

DarkZagRises
03-11-2014, 09:32 AM
His success with the team notwithstanding...

Orchestrating brawls amongst players and tweeting like a teen aged girl are pretty massive additions to the negatives column. I can't believe the audacity of the USF board to call Few a disgrace to the conference (based on Few's recent comments) when their own coach is going for an all-time low in classlessness. Sure there have been worse... but seriously - have you guys read his twitter? Talk about a "High School Harry."

I'm shocked that any coach ordering his own players to engage in a fistfight still has a job at the end of the day. How is this not more controversial than it should be? Now obviously I wasn't there and maybe it's truly being misrepresented... but how can the school defend his tweeting? From a PR context alone I can't fathom why their school doesn't keep a tighter lid on him there. Does perception mean nothing to USF?

TheGonzagaFactor
03-11-2014, 09:48 AM
Rex is a clown. So he showed some class, once. Good for him. He's done so many classless things, I'm not going to forget it all because his team finished third in a bad conference and had no good OOC wins. USF is still bad, and Rex still hasn't made an NCAA appearance. "Building a program the right way" doesn't include running off your best players every year.

Zagdawg
03-11-2014, 10:33 AM
Careful what is said here about rex -- we have 2-3 dawns fans that lurk here waiting for something negative to be said so that it can be posted on their board.

We should start a game where a Zag poster can earn points with how long of a thread they can incite on the dons board-- that would be amusing.

Let me see if I can get a post or two going about something that I heard.

A couple of the classes that all incoming don basketball players are required to take-- "Boxing 100" and "Tweeting for Success 98".

Advanced classes include "How to Sound Sincere During a Press Conference After Another Loss" (taught by the master himself) and "MMA 201"

VaBeachZAG
03-11-2014, 10:42 AM

Please don't be duped by a single post game commentary. Rex has done great damage to the USF program (in my view) for many of the reasons stated by posters above. He has a long long long long long way to go to redeem his past behavior. Frankly, I don't think he's up to it, but time will tell....

exclusivelee
03-11-2014, 10:42 AM
Rex is one of the good guys in the league.

Rose is a good guy too but Rex brings a spark to the league that we need.

Agree to disagree regarding both

CDC84
03-11-2014, 10:47 AM
I'm shocked that any coach ordering his own players to engage in a fistfight still has a job at the end of the day. How is this not more controversial than it should be? Now obviously I wasn't there and maybe it's truly being misrepresented... but how can the school defend his tweeting? From a PR context alone I can't fathom why their school doesn't keep a tighter lid on him there. Does perception mean nothing to USF?

Again, I wasn't there, and so I don't know all the facts, but if what reportedly took place in Montana really happened, any competent athletic administration would've immediately fired Walters for not only condoning but encouraging the fight. Especially in light of the Rutgers scandal and the various sports bullying stories that have been pervasive in the news.

This goes not just for Rex, but for any coach in the country. You can't condone or encourage fist fights as a coach, period.

DarkZagRises
03-11-2014, 11:01 AM
Again, I wasn't there, and so I don't know all the facts, but if what reportedly took place in Montana really happened, any competent athletic administration would've immediately fired Walters for not only condoning but encouraging the fight. Especially in light of the Rutgers scandal and the various sports bullying stories that have been pervasive in the news.

This goes not just for Rex, but for any coach in the country. You can't condone or encourage fist fights as a coach, period.

Exactly! Look I wish the guy the best moving forward, and I have no ill will towards that program or school. I'm actually happy for their student body that their team was successful this season. And it's just true that everyone makes mistakes... "Use every man after his desert, and who shall 'scape whipping?"

But if this story is indeed factually true, it represents a gross crossing of a pretty sacred line in coaching / mentoring. If I was a USF student / alumnus / administrator, and I was seeing stuff along the lines of Gottlieb's tweet I would be CRINGING. How is USF not taking any action on this?

Zagdawg
03-11-2014, 11:20 AM
Once Doolin secures his release and is authorized to play for UNLV -- he might be a bit more willing to open up about the incident-- until he secures his release to be able to play-- it looks like he is going to keep quiet so that San Francisco can have nothing to hold over him that would keep him from being able to play.

CDC84
03-11-2014, 11:26 AM
I'm just amazed that some sportswriter at the SF Chronicle or SJ Mercury News hasn't at least investigated the allegations. Again, especially in light of what has been going on in the news.

MDABE80
03-11-2014, 12:03 PM
I cannot imagine a coach keeping his job when he organized a physical fight instead of breaking one up. It's just a glaring defect. Just beyond anything I've heard in decades. Results are one thing....remember fellas ALWAYS .."Principles before personalities".< we do this at Gonzaga. Obviously it works.

Mantua
03-11-2014, 01:12 PM
Please don't be duped by a single post game commentary. Rex has done great damage to the USF program (in my view) for many of the reasons stated by posters above. He has a long long long long long way to go to redeem his past behavior. Frankly, I don't think he's up to it, but time will tell....

+1

former1dog
03-11-2014, 01:30 PM
Rex Walters, JackAss

The exact quote:

"I would say I [still] think we are the best team in this tournament. The best team may not have won tonight. Hatís off to Gonzaga [he meant BYU].
There may be a lot of Mormons mad at me, but I donít give a ratís you-know-what what the state of Utah thinks of me.
They won the game tonight. They deserved it. They played better tonight. But like I told my guys, I wouldnít trade one of my guys for any player in this tournament. Not one," Walters said.
After extolling the virtues of his team, which dropped to 21-11, Walters got back on the "weíre the best" platform.
"I would love to get another chance at BYU. I would love to get another chance at Gonzaga, but that wonít be the case. Dave [Rose] should be very proud of his team tonight. I am not trying to take away anything from them. But I love my team and I will go to war every day with my team, and twice on Sunday."

Jack Asses play the woulda, coulda, shoulda game. They usually don't coach division 1 basketball. Admittedly, Walters is a good coach but he's still a jack ass. Normal people don't claim to have a better team, when you had the chance to play twice and lost by 28 on the road and 10 at home (Gonzaga) and 3 times to the other (BYU).... 5 losses and you've got the better team? I don't quarrel with saying he wouldn't trade his guys, that's the right thing to say. But, to say you have the better team and yet are O-fer is pure jack assery.

a13coach
03-11-2014, 02:21 PM
Rex Walters, JackAss

The exact quote:

Jack Asses play the woulda, coulda, shoulda game. They usually don't coach division 1 basketball. Admittedly, Walters is a good coach but he's still a jack ass. Normal people don't claim to have a better team, when you had the chance to play twice and lost by 28 on the road and 10 at home (Gonzaga) and 3 times to the other (BYU).... 5 losses and you've got the better team? I don't quarrel with saying he wouldn't trade his guys, that's the right thing to say. But, to say you have the better team and yet are O-fer is pure jack assery.

+100

JPtheBeasta
03-11-2014, 02:38 PM
Further proof of the Coachasuarus Rex's walnut-sized logic

Zagdawg
03-11-2014, 02:44 PM
Are you trying to say something about Rexs intelligence.....like:

He is......

1. A few clowns short of a circus.

2. A few fries short of a Happy Meal.

3. An experiment in Artificial Stupidity.

4. Dumber than a box of hair.

5. A few peas short of a casserole.

6. Doesn't have all his cornflakes in one box.

7. The wheel's spinning, but the hamster's dead.

8. One Fruit Loop shy of a full bowl.

9. One taco short of a combination plate.

10. A few feathers short of a whole duck.

11. The cheese slid off his cracker.

12. Body by Fisher, brains by Mattel.

13. Has an IQ of 2, but it takes 3 to grunt.

14. Warning: Objects in mirror are dumber than they appear.

15. Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel

16. He fell out of the Stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down.

17. An intellect rivaled only by garden tools.

18. As smart as bait.

19. Chimney's clogged.

20. Doesn't have all his dogs on one leash.

21. Doesn't know much but leads the league in nostril hair.

22. Elevator doesn't go all the way to the top floor.

23. Forgot to pay his brain bill.

24. Her sewing machine's out of thread.

25. His antenna doesn't pick up all the channels.

26. His belt doesn't go through all the loops.

27. If he had another brain, it would be lonely.

28. Missing a few buttons on his remote control.

29. No grain in the silo.

30. Receiver is off the hook.

31. Several nuts short of a full pouch

32. Skylight leaks a little.

33. Slinky's kinked.

34. Surfing in Nebraska.

35. Too much yardage between the goal posts.

36. Big like ox, smart like tractor

37. A few sandwiches short of a picnic.

38. The porch light is on but nobody’s home.

39. Running with one wheel on the ice.

40. A few cards short of a full deck.

41. As smart as a box of rocks.

GlacierZag
03-11-2014, 03:08 PM
42. All of the above. And #4 stands out for his Chief Sycophant USF. Dumber than a box of hair.

Are you trying to say something about Rexs intelligence.....like:

He is......

1. A few clowns short of a circus.

2. A few fries short of a Happy Meal.

3. An experiment in Artificial Stupidity.

4. Dumber than a box of hair.

5. A few peas short of a casserole.

6. Doesn't have all his cornflakes in one box.

7. The wheel's spinning, but the hamster's dead.

8. One Fruit Loop shy of a full bowl.

9. One taco short of a combination plate.

10. A few feathers short of a whole duck.

11. The cheese slid off his cracker.

12. Body by Fisher, brains by Mattel.

13. Has an IQ of 2, but it takes 3 to grunt.

14. Warning: Objects in mirror are dumber than they appear.

15. Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel

16. He fell out of the Stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down.

17. An intellect rivaled only by garden tools.

18. As smart as bait.

19. Chimney's clogged.

20. Doesn't have all his dogs on one leash.

21. Doesn't know much but leads the league in nostril hair.

22. Elevator doesn't go all the way to the top floor.

23. Forgot to pay his brain bill.

24. Her sewing machine's out of thread.

25. His antenna doesn't pick up all the channels.

26. His belt doesn't go through all the loops.

27. If he had another brain, it would be lonely.

28. Missing a few buttons on his remote control.

29. No grain in the silo.

30. Receiver is off the hook.

31. Several nuts short of a full pouch

32. Skylight leaks a little.

33. Slinky's kinked.

34. Surfing in Nebraska.

35. Too much yardage between the goal posts.

36. Big like ox, smart like tractor

37. A few sandwiches short of a picnic.

38. The porch light is on but nobody’s home.

39. Running with one wheel on the ice.

40. A few cards short of a full deck.

41. As smart as a box of rocks.