PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs BYU...predictions and other thoughts

Reborn
03-11-2014, 05:20 AM
Gonzaga 73
BYU 63

Well, here we are in the Championship game. Wow! What a year. So many ups and downs. Yet one thing has been consistent, Gonzaga is in the Championship game, and despite the challenges, they won the conference by two games. The bottom line for me is that this is an amazing team. Odd, but amazing. You never know who is going to be the star. But one thing is certain, a star will shine.

So tonight it's BYU and the Zags. I'm glad that we are the last two teams standing. Both teams have an RPI in the top 30, and the two teams have split their two games. Each team winning at home. Gonzaga wins because we're a better defensive team, and I believe will be more poised tonight. This is BYU's first championship game. In the end, Gonzaga is a better team with a more cohesion and chemistry. They are just better, imo.

Go Zags!!!

gonzagafan62
03-11-2014, 06:06 AM
I just have a bad feeling about this game 'born. Don't know why.

BYU 77
Gonzaga 72

Hope I am wrong.

23dpg
03-11-2014, 06:21 AM
Gonzaga 81
BYU 76

The GUnit of the game will not be Dower or Stockton.

MTZag03
03-11-2014, 06:29 AM
This team reminds me of the 2010 green bay packers: flawed, injured, and inconsistent on both offense and defense, but with all the tools to really make a run. If GU ever plays a complete game on both sides of the court, watch out. I don't predict that happening tonight.

BYU 73
GU 72

If GU plays a complete game to their potential:

GU 85
BYU 63

GrizZAG
03-11-2014, 06:32 AM
If we push it offensively and avoid being forced by the clock we should prevail. Defense (extreme) and low turnovers is flat essential. GB needs to be all over Haws again. They will be wanting to push it hard and We have to match or beat that intensity. Lets hope we find the 3 again soon.
This game going to epic I think as BYU has WCC frustration and will bring it. We need a focused Karno that keeps the ball high and catches the feeds tonight. Force and will those contested shots. Toughness wins tonight.
Better than "The Thrilla in Manilla".

Ekrub
03-11-2014, 06:54 AM
A desperate team gave us a tough game on their home floor. They are no longer desperate, nor at home.

Zags 82
By-U 67

Baseline
03-11-2014, 07:13 AM
BYU will attack, attack attack and go right at Shem to get foul problems. It will be interesting to see how Rose juggles his lineups early to avoid foul problems. Defense will be our edge, but if Pangos doesn't show I'm not sure we can score enough to match their efforts. Stockton will have a bad night as his match-ups are tough with BYU, the scoring needs to come from someone else.

GU 78
BYU 76

Zags11
03-11-2014, 07:19 AM
Zags 78
byu 77

We will struggle as I think they match up very well with us. It will be a tight battle but we will see pangos hit a couple big buckets late.
pangos with 17

bballbeachbum
03-11-2014, 07:54 AM
GU has adjusted to the way teams began playing them a few weeks ago imo, and they are more comfy and prepared for the perimeter pressure and challenges that kind of D puts on you. Teams have been collapsing hard on KP when he drives but not the other perimeter guys and they have been exploiting that. BYU will bring its own brand of this with that matchup zone of theirs that gave the Zags fits in Provo. I think GU will be better prepared to attack it this time but would bet BYU will make the guys have to prove it. BYU has some players that matchup with GU in the paint, Mika and Austin I’m thinking about, so that will be a great battle to watch and fouls will be big either way. The Gary, KD and GC trio should all get their chances to check Haws, a worthy challenge for a WCC final. Should be fun. Can’t give BYU multiple opportunities with O boards and turnovers, an obvious part of every game plan but BYU really relies on those effort plays and O boards to kick you in the stomach

cjm720
03-11-2014, 08:01 AM
A desperate team gave us a tough game on their home floor. They are no longer desperate, nor at home.

Zags 82
By-U 67

+1

CdAZagFan
03-11-2014, 08:08 AM
BYU 82
GU 77

It pains me to make such a prediction but BYU's playing well now and has a lot of X factors (Mika and Carlino are the X factors and Collingsworth is, I believe, their best all around player). I just don't know which GU team will show - if GU gets some shooters going, then I think it will turn the other way. If GU doesn't shoot well, I don't think Karno and Dower can pull the load. Losing to BYU would be excruciating - I dislike this bunch of BYU players more than BYU teams of past - but on the bright side may help get around that 8/9 seeding...

Zagdawg
03-11-2014, 08:24 AM
Looking at the last game against BYU -- we lost by 6 pts at their house.

We shot 22% from 3 (we took 18 3's and made 4)
Karnoswki had 1 rebound
Karnowski shot 29% from the FT line
Bell/Stockton combined for 9 pts
Barham made 1 3 pt shot (out of 2 taken)
We had 16 turnovers
Both our bigs were in foul trouble in the 1st half

We have lots of room for improvement -- I think we can make the changes on a neutral court.

Zags 71
BYU 65

U Zig, I Zag
03-11-2014, 08:30 AM
If Few works the refs and the BYU players get called out on the thug plays then I think Zags win going away. Mika is a hot head and I would love to see him lose it and get the boot. We HAVE to get BYU bigs into early foul trouble. That's where this game will be won.

ZenZag
03-11-2014, 08:41 AM
Just a thought.....but maybe we could get Edwards into the game 1st half to give/take some fouls inside? This keeps PK fresh and out of foul trouble for the second half....while hopefully also putting some foul pressure on Mika/Austin. From what I have seen of Edwards, I certainly don't think there is a huge drop off when we sub him in for Karno.

gonzagafan62
03-11-2014, 08:42 AM
Just a thought.....but maybe we could get Edwards into the game 1st half to give/take some fouls inside? This keeps PK fresh and out of foul trouble for the second half....while hopefully also putting some foul pressure on Mika/Austin. From what I have seen of Edwards, I certainly don't think there is a huge drop off when we sub him in for Karno.

Taste of their own medicine. I like.. I like.

gonzagafan62
03-11-2014, 08:54 AM
CBS's view of tonights game:

Best game: Gonzaga vs. BYU (9 p.m., ESPN). This is the game many of us wanted to see in the title game. It's a game that both teams would really like to win, given that both are still somewhat on the bubble. Both could -- and should -- get a bid even with a loss, but whichever team falls on Tuesday night will have a long five days until Selection Sunday. The two teams split their regular-season meetings. It could come down to the inside play, and whether Eric Mika can hold his own down low against Sam Dower and co. At the other end, can Gonzaga keep Tyler Haws in check? Kevin Pangos needs to break out of his slump for the Bulldogs.

gonzagafan62
03-11-2014, 08:55 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24477443/viewers-guide-gonzaga-faces-byu-plus-three-more-auto-bids

john montana
03-11-2014, 09:59 AM
Pangos finally plays well at the Orleans...we win. If he plays like we have been playing, we lose.

Seems pretty simple to me. We need KP to break out tonight!

BULLDOG#1
03-11-2014, 10:56 AM
Zags must keep BYU off the offensive glass. To accomplish this, Sam and Shem must stay out of foul trouble.

I have a hunch that Coleman could play a major role tonight. He is a big matchup problem for BYU.

If Haws and Carlino get hot from 3, it's over for GU.
Ditto if Pangos and Bell get hot from 3...

In the end though, I think the bigs will decide it. If GU can control the glass, they will win by 10+

Reborn
03-11-2014, 11:11 AM
What interests me most about this game is how the guards match up. BYU now starts Winder (6' 3") t the point, Haws (6' 5") and Collison (6' 6") at the wings. Will our small guard lineup be able to guard these three guys. Who will Keep Collinsworth off the boards? Who will guard him on the inside? If Bell guards Collinsworth who guards Haws? In the last game I felt it was Winder who hurt Gonzaga with 15 pts. I know that Dranginis played really a lot in that game, and I expect him to play a lot again tonight. Kyle could match up with Collinsworth, and Bell with Haws. I will say one thing about Gary, he is playing MUCH better now then he played in that last game with BYU.

I have a sneaky feeling that Pangos is going to have a great game tonight. Dranginis too. He will play a lot tonight.

What I love about this game it's offense against defense. The best offense in the conference (and 3rd in the country) against the best defense. It's said, you know, that defense wins championships.

ZagMan in Philly
03-11-2014, 12:32 PM
Lack of 3pt line defense will do in BYU.
Pangos, Bell and Barham will have a good game shooting the long balls.
Dower will keep his FT streak going.
Stocks will be Stocks (solid all around play)
PK will contain Mika
Catholics 78
Mormons 71

MJ777
03-11-2014, 01:00 PM
What interests me most about this game is how the guards match up. BYU now starts Winder (6' 3") t the point, Haws (6' 5") and Collison (6' 6") at the wings. Will our small guard lineup be able to guard these three guys. Who will Keep Collinsworth off the boards? Who will guard him on the inside? If Bell guards Collinsworth who guards Haws? In the last game I felt it was Winder who hurt Gonzaga with 15 pts. I know that Dranginis played really a lot in that game, and I expect him to play a lot again tonight. Kyle could match up with Collinsworth, and Bell with Haws. I will say one thing about Gary, he is playing MUCH better now then he played in that last game with BYU.

I have a sneaky feeling that Pangos is going to have a great game tonight. Dranginis too. He will play a lot tonight.

What I love about this game it's offense against defense. The best offense in the conference (and 3rd in the country) against the best defense. It's said, you know, that defense wins championships.

Zags could use some good minutes from Coleman tonight and of course KD. Don't be shy coach, use the length on your bench when necessary.

Zags 72 BYU 71

Mantua
03-11-2014, 01:34 PM
Zags need to play with confidence and grit against smug over-confidence, theatrical flops and sneaky fouls.

The reffing is going to be critical.

I'd love to see the game prep right now. It's time to dig deep.

Kiddwell
03-11-2014, 02:32 PM
Phooey-Poohy, a poem
<ahem>
The ballers from Provo--oh, it's so hard to chew--
Needed a win for Selection Sundoo.
Huffing-'n'-puffing, they ran up the court,
Pee'd by the gallon, sweat by the quart.
Though their fans chanted loudly their B's-Y's-and U's.
Still the Zags got the bid, while the Cougs got the pooh.

-------
Auto Bid - 76
Sweating Sunday - 61

:]

Reborn
03-11-2014, 04:19 PM
Someone pulled up my thread from our home game with them back in January. It must be a lurker who's trying to sabotage this thread which is for the game today. Whoever it is is sneaky, but jinxing this thread will not work. I am putting all my powers into it now to blow up the other one.....hahahahahahahahahah just having a good laugh to keep relaxed. 40 min til game tiime.

Go zags!!!

wnczagfan
03-11-2014, 04:23 PM
Someone pulled up my thread from our home game with them back in January. It must be a lurker who's trying to sabotage this thread which is for the game today. Whoever it is is sneaky, but jinxing this thread will not work. I am putting all my powers into it now to blow up the other one.....hahahahahahahahahah just having a good laugh to keep relaxed. 40 min til game tiime.

Go zags!!!

Haha. It worked; I posted there too. haha

Well, like I said in the thread that is not the thread:

Zags blow out BYU by 3.

Zags 72
BYU 69

MDABE80
03-11-2014, 04:55 PM
I think BYU's guards will be too good tonight. Shem is just so clumbsy...........I hope we don't lose by 10. We'll see. This will be a tough one. BYU's improved in the past 3 weeks...quite a bit. I m not so sure we have. Few will need a coaching GEM to pull this one off. Use your length Mark! Use your length.

Reborn
03-11-2014, 07:36 PM
Gonzaga 73
BYU 63

Well, here we are in the Championship game. Wow! What a year. So many ups and downs. Yet one thing has been consistent, Gonzaga is in the Championship game, and despite the challenges, they won the conference by two games. The bottom line for me is that this is an amazing team. Odd, but amazing. You never know who is going to be the star. But one thing is certain, a star will shine.

So tonight it's BYU and the Zags. I'm glad that we are the last two teams standing. Both teams have an RPI in the top 30, and the two teams have split their two games. Each team winning at home. Gonzaga wins because we're a better defensive team, and I believe will be more poised tonight. This is BYU's first championship game. In the end, Gonzaga is a better team with a more cohesion and chemistry. They are just better, imo.

Go Zags!!!

One of my better predictions this year. Just missed.

congratulations Zags!!! champions one more time. Be PROUD. What a great year. BELIEVE!

Go Zags!!!