PDA

View Full Version : TSN article: Coaches like Gonzaga's Mr. 400 are Few and far between

CDC84
03-09-2014, 01:28 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-03-09/coaches-like-gonzagas-mr-400-are-few-and-far-between-wcc-ncaa-march-madness-mark-few-gonzaga

ZagaZags
03-09-2014, 01:32 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-03-09/coaches-like-gonzagas-mr-400-are-few-and-far-between-wcc-ncaa-march-madness-mark-few-gonzaga

Great find CDC, thanks.

Birddog
03-09-2014, 02:16 PM
There is a segment of the public apparently compelled to undermine any achievement
I edited this slightly, but this quote really stood out.

Oregonzagnut
03-09-2014, 02:41 PM
Only eight Division I players have reached 3,000. Scores of Division I coaches have hit the 400 mark, but only four got there in fewer than the 499 Few required. You might want to take a seat while we present the list: Adolph Rupp, Clair Bee, Jerry Tarkanian, Roy Williams.

WOW!! If the pundits diminish Fews record because Gonzaga was a mid-major, then why is he only 1 of 5 to have EVER done this? Adolf Rupp ONLY coached at Kentucky, for over 40 years. I'd like to see Mark Few do that here at Gonzaga. He is the kind of guy who would do that too.

McZag
03-09-2014, 02:47 PM
WOW!! If the pundits diminish Fews record because Gonzaga was a mid-major, then why is he only 1 of 5 to have EVER done this?

When Few takes the stage in MA. The pundits will be silent.

Oregonzagnut
03-09-2014, 03:20 PM
I wonder how many schools or coaches have EVER had 15 straight tournament appearances?

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
03-09-2014, 05:21 PM
Not many....that'd be the quick answer.

:adored:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament_cons ecutive_appearances

GoZags
03-09-2014, 05:45 PM
I wonder how many schools or coaches have EVER had 15 straight tournament appearances?

Dean Smith, Bobby Knight, Tom Izzo and Coach K have had streaks longer than Mark Few's 14 straight. Roy Williams also had 14 straight at Kansas.

vandalzag
03-09-2014, 06:07 PM
WOW!! If the pundits diminish Fews record because Gonzaga was a mid-major, then why is he only 1 of 5 to have EVER done this? Adolf Rupp ONLY coached at Kentucky, for over 40 years. I'd like to see Mark Few do that here at Gonzaga. He is the kind of guy who would do that too.

Pundits, there are Zag fans on this site who diminish the record.

Zags11
03-09-2014, 09:30 PM
Few is awesome. Way more positives then the slim negatives.

surfmonkey89
03-09-2014, 10:50 PM
Clair Bee: 2 NIT titles (when the NIT was THE title)
Adolph Rupp: 6 Final Fours, 4 NCAA championships
Jerry Tarkanian: 4 Final Fours, 1 NCAA championship
Roy Williams: SEVEN Final Fours, 2 NCAA championships

Mark Few:
- Zero Final Fours
- Zero Elite Eights
- 21-41 against the AP Top 25, all-time (source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonzaga_Bulldogs_men's_basketball))

Oregonzagnut
03-09-2014, 10:54 PM
Dean Smith, Bobby Knight, Tom Izzo and Coach K have had streaks longer than Mark Few's 14 straight. Roy Williams also had 14 straight at Kansas.

Notice Mark Few is the only 1 of 5 coaches to have 14 straight AND be the only 1 of 5 coaches to be the quickest to 400 wins!

Plus Few is the ONLY coach to have done this 14 straight starting the first year of his head coaching career and has made the tournament in EVERY year of his career. Few is at 100% for tournament appearances in his career. No coach ever has gone to the NCAA tournament every year of their head coaching career for their first 14 years!

Zags11
03-09-2014, 11:08 PM

Mark Few:
- Zero Final Fours
- Zero Elite Eights
- 21-41 against the AP Top 25, all-time (source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonzaga_Bulldogs_men's_basketball))

And....,,buzzkill. :vomit-smiley-007:

RenoZag
03-09-2014, 11:17 PM

Mark Few:
- Zero Final Fours
- Zero Elite Eights

Did the other coaches achieve those results in the same number of games coached by Coach Few ? Seems a skewed comparison.

CDC84
03-10-2014, 10:50 AM

Mark Few:
- Zero Final Fours
- Zero Elite Eights
- 21-41 against the AP Top 25, all-time (source)

It needs to be considered where these coaches have coached. As great of a coach as Roy Williams is, having the factory school recruiting power of Kansas and North Carolina allows him a far greater chance of making the final four, winning national titles and just beating the elite.

CDC84
03-10-2014, 10:56 AM
One of the arguments that some people have used to diminish Few's win total and winning percentage is the fact that his team plays in the WCC. Those critics completely ignore the fact that Gonzaga plays an inverted schedule, and until recently, played most of its heavy hitter non-league games on road and neutral floors. He has to play that inverted schedule regardless of what kind of team he has. If he has a young team he can't just play guarantee games at home to build confidence like a typical BCS school can. Instead he has to take that young team (2006/07) to NYC to play #2 North Carolina.

gonzagafan62
03-10-2014, 11:00 AM
Few is awesome. Way more positives then the slim negatives.

Mark Few is the man!

Some day this will be Mark Few Court at the MAC or K2

MTZag03
03-10-2014, 11:07 AM
Give it time. As others have said, GU is still a program on the rise. Our recruits continue to improve, our facilities are improved, we have charter flights and national tv coverag. With a steady head coach, solid assistants, and bright young coaches, there is a lot of program stability. We have the backing of the school and AD. We have a steady steam of top recruits from Europe (no news on Sabonis). If GU keeps knocking on the door eventually they will make a NCAA run. There have been a ton of heartbreaks, but it WILL happen. Without Few, much of the basketball infrastructure for lack of a better term would not be where it is today. So cheers to MF on quite a run to date.

And yes I am often critical of Few too.

ZagMan in Philly
03-10-2014, 11:40 AM
Nice article CDC.

Not sure if this one has been posted
http://seattletimes.com/html/gonzaga/2023057141_gonzagamen06xml.html

SWZag
03-10-2014, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the articles. An accomplishment that's pretty special.

As of today, he's averaging 26.6 wins and 6.6 losses per season. No ifs, ands of buts, that's simply incredible.

SWZag

scott257
03-10-2014, 01:09 PM

I was just looking at the coaches listed in the quote (Adolph Rupp, Clair Bee, Jerry Tarkanian, and Roy Williams). In their first 15 years, Mark will be the only one that has made a tournament appearance (in the NCAA) for each of his first 15 years. Tarkanian didn't do it and Roy Williams couldn't do it (they were ineligible during his first season). It is hard to draw a direct comparison for Clair Bee and Adolph Rupp as they pre-dated the current NCAA system in their first 15 years. Roy Williams has had over 15 straight years though but his run did get interrupted by an NIT appearance during the 2009-2010 season with his streak at 20.