PDA

View Full Version : Meehan's Day after Santa Clara

Section 116
03-09-2014, 08:48 AM
Game story, Blanchette and more: http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/

Few story quote: “Brownridge with that pull-up,” Bulldogs coach Mark Few said, “I was telling Adam (Morrison) he’s the only kid I’ve seen since Adam that can hit that closely guarded shot.”

DarkZagRises
03-09-2014, 09:44 AM
Can anyone translate Few's comments on the women's tourney? How does that make the WCC "High School Harry's?" Wonder how Graves felt about that.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Hoopaholic
03-09-2014, 10:10 AM
In high school you have to balance the games and starting times and it appears the staggered days is not well liked and it is due to having the womans tournament at the same location

High School Harry is in Edmonton and is famous for their Tri Province Tournament held over three different weekends so that woman, men of 3 difrferent categories can play.......makes it difficult to see quality recruits

Rangerzag
03-09-2014, 12:30 PM
Withers from Vegas:

http://seattletimes.com/html/gonzaga/2023084806_gonzagamenxml.html

gamagin
03-09-2014, 12:44 PM
+1

In high school you have to balance the games and starting times and it appears the staggered days is not well liked and it is due to having the womans tournament at the same location

High School Harry is in Edmonton and is famous for their Tri Province Tournament held over three different weekends so that woman, men of 3 difrferent categories can play.......makes it difficult to see quality recruits

Add in the scheduling hassles involved, plus BYU holding everyone at bay on Sunday play and it can have some built in advantages to the weaker teams, it seems. If they moved the ladies to spokane (The Kennel, anyway) , it would be sold out and there'd be fresh money.

Don't know about the other schools, but since finances pretty much drives everything in the end, making more money by seperating this tourney just might become more lucrative, too.

Hoopaholic
03-09-2014, 12:54 PM
+1

Add in the scheduling hassles involved, plus BYU holding everyone at bay on Sunday play and it can have some built in advantages to the weaker teams, it seems. If they moved the ladies to spokane (The Kennel, anyway) , it would be sold out and there'd be fresh money.

Don't know about the other schools, but since finances pretty much drives everything in the end, making more money by seperating this tourney just might become more lucrative, too.

not sold you would make more money as television contract is tied together??????? no way southern california schools would agree to spokane hosting....

nor am I convinced it would be sold out as zag and BYU fans for example would be split....with men at one site and one in spokane

Rangerzag
03-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Is there a second suitable site in Vegas?

Hoopaholic
03-09-2014, 01:52 PM
MGM hosts Pac 12 but it is larger than Orleans so men could go there but would only be half filled

bartruff1
03-09-2014, 02:03 PM
Can anyone translate Few's comments on the women's tourney? How does that make the WCC "High School Harry's?" Wonder how Graves felt about that.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk You can bet that Oliver Pierce (SID) is working hard on a translation ...

sittingon50
03-09-2014, 03:19 PM
Someone sure seems to be getting full(er) of oneself.

sittingon50
03-09-2014, 03:25 PM
And the predictable dawn central response.

http://members4.boardhost.com/donscentral/msg/1394402441.html

Zag 77
03-09-2014, 03:54 PM
It is not like the WCC has to worry about massive numbers of people who need hotel rooms and restaurants. Don't want to hurt anybody's feelings, but outside of Spokane (GU), Tenn, and UConn, NCAA Women's basketball does not draw very well.

This format makes the Mens Tournament run too long. Run the men Thurs-Fri-Sat-Mon.

roxdoc
03-09-2014, 04:04 PM
Other side of the argument is the men's should extend later. Every year we have to sit around for a week and watch nearly all the rest of the top teams doing their tourneys and keeping an edge. I realize this is driven by an ESPN ($) issue and the argument that at least we are "resting". Personally I have always felt that this had at least something to do with flat play in some of our 1st round games.