PDA

View Full Version : Dukie V's top 40 (not that anyone cares what he thinks)

cggonzaga
08-31-2007, 11:48 AM
DICKIE V'S 2007-08 PRESEASON TOP 40

11. Marquette: Tom Crean was thrilled when Dominic James pulled out of the draft and returned to school.

12. Duke: Coach K's team was plagued by injuries in the off-season, but when the bell rings, never count the Dukies out.

13. Stanford: It helps to have the Lopez twins in the lineup.

14. Texas: No Kevin Durant, but AJ Abrams, DJ Augustin and company can flat out play.

15. Kentucky: Billy Gillispie will have this program firing on all cylinders. The addition of Patrick Patterson will help.

16. Washington State: The Cougars won't sneak up on anybody this season.

17. USC: OJ Mayo and friends will rock and roll. Tim Floyd would have had a top 10 team if Gabe Pruitt and Nick Young came back; they didn't.

18. Syracuse: Jim Boeheim has a lot of talent in his incoming class.

19. Alabama: The health of Ronald Steele will be a key.

20. Clemson: Forget about last year's collapse as Oliver Purnell has a strong squad.

21. Florida: No Noah, Horford, Brewer, Green or Humphrey, but Billy Donovan will reload with a lot of young talent.

22. Arkansas: John Pelphrey takes over and the return of Patrick Beverley makes a difference.

23. Ohio State: No Oden, Conley, Cook, but Thad Matta has a lot of new and talented faces ready for action.

24. Gonzaga: Mark Few will play anyone, any place, any time. His team will be prepared.

25. Pittsburgh: Jamie Dixon doesn't have true superstars, he has team players that work hard and flat-out win.

spudzag
08-31-2007, 11:55 AM
I like the spot. We have the games needed to work up form there.

Butler Guy
08-31-2007, 11:59 AM
and it's idiot minions....

FuManShoes
08-31-2007, 12:12 PM
Hey Dookie V, way to cut and paste the same blurb you've used every year for the past 10 years when describing the Zags. Much easier than actually looking at the roster and writing something original.

sonuvazag
08-31-2007, 12:14 PM
Hey Dookie V, way to cut and paste the same blurb you've used every year for the past 10 years when describing the Zags. Much easier than actually looking at the roster and writing something original.
My thoughts exactly.

a13coach
08-31-2007, 01:45 PM
Dukie V. hasn't had an original thought since he had a complete head of hair.

ZagAddict
08-31-2007, 01:58 PM
It's sad that Dickie V has become more of an annoyance for me to watch. I like enthusiasm about college sports, but his tidbits are getting old and predictable. I especially dislike hearing about Duke when watching a game such as Michigan State vs. Wisconsin. It's gottent bad enough that I look for other games to watch than the one that Dick V is commentating.

sonuvazag
08-31-2007, 02:07 PM
24. Gonzaga: Mark Few will play anyone, any place, any time. His team will be prepared.
The "most generic possible statement and safest placement for a perrenial top 25 team you know nothing about award" goes to....

MickMick
08-31-2007, 02:24 PM
Last year it didn't help to have the Lopez twins in the lineup....against Gonzaga.

That game resolved two big questions for me:

Can Josh play in the paint if he puts his mind to it?

Can Jeremy take over a close game at crunch time?

That Stanford game should bring us back to reality with respect to who the team's heavy hitters will be.. Josh and Jeremy are the foundation of any Zag success this season. And considering Dickie V's poll, I think swapping the Stanford and Gonzaga squads would be about right.

MDABE80
08-31-2007, 03:16 PM
Fellas, after watching this guy for years ( lots of years), he's yet to generate anything cogent. I must conclude that ESPN hires Dick for his entertainment value. He's colorful.......in an odd sort of way. He's always friendly to the Eastern teams unless he has to praise UCLA mostly.

One thing..and maybe the only thing: performance wins out..no matter who's trying to ignore that one fact.

Rubbadub
08-31-2007, 04:06 PM
Can Josh play in the paint if he puts his mind to it?

Can Jeremy take over a close game at crunch time?

That Stanford game should bring us back to reality with respect to who the team's heavy hitters will be.. Josh and Jeremy are the foundation of any Zag success this season.

I concur.

drnoe
08-31-2007, 10:22 PM
Fellas, after watching this guy for years ( lots of years), he's yet to generate anything cogent. I must conclude that ESPN hires Dick for his entertainment value. He's colorful.......in an odd sort of way. He's always friendly to the Eastern teams unless he has to praise UCLA mostly.

One thing..and maybe the only thing: performance wins out..no matter who's trying to ignore that one fact.

I love Dukie, except whenever he insists on insinuating the Dukies in virtually every telecast. He ought to move to the west coast for a trial season to see if he could shake that. Then again, he would end up going nuts over Kevin Love and insinuating Beach Boys trivia. Put him on the Monday night Zags telecasts and he would make us sick about Austin Daye...oh, the underrated diaper dandy from Orange County! How did Mark Few steal this dandy from Ben Howland? I remember his daddy going toe to toe with Dr. Dunkenstein in the '80 final! Rocket Rod Foster...oh, baby!

Can't complain about Dukie...I love his enthusiasm, because he epitomizes college hoops. Love to love him, love to hate him. If he died tomorrow, we'd all cry.

ZagNative
08-31-2007, 11:09 PM
Great post, drnoe! I'm right there with you on every point! If he died, I too would cry ... and then I'd find some other over-the-top sportscaster to roll my eyes over in exasperation.

23dpg
09-01-2007, 08:38 AM
[QUOTE=drnoe;69452]I love Dukie, except whenever he insists on insinuating the Dukies in virtually every telecast. QUOTE]

So you're saying you don't like him at all then, right?

TexasZagFan
09-01-2007, 01:27 PM
How many times has DV said this?

36. Texas Tech: Never count out the General, Robert Montgomery Knight.

I can't take it anymore...get some new material, Dick!

Bocco
09-01-2007, 03:28 PM
Dukie V. hasn't had an original thought since he had a complete head of hair.

That may have been never.