PDA

View Full Version : Get with it Gonzaga and become a real Jesuit University

michaelak
03-07-2014, 01:49 AM
Gonzaga’s legendary football teams (1921 to 1941) played where Foley Library stands today. Similarly, "Zagmania" began in lowly Martin Center ( formerly "Kennedy Pavilion") when the Zags reached the 1999 Elite Eight. Under Fitzgerald, some practices were open to watch. At McCarthy Center one can’t even watch shootarounds, let alone buy a game ticket. In the 70's through the 90's, alumni played noon hoops and tennis with students and faculty. Today, their website says "no outside memberships are available due to maximized use of Rudolf Center."
I surveyed the other 27 Jesuit Universities regarding alumni recreation rights. The California schools, Big East members Creighton, Xavier, Marquette, plus St. Louis, St. Joseph’s, and the Loyolas—New Orleans, Maryland, and Chicago—said “yes, we have alumni memberships." Many had two fitness areas. A majority are in major urban areas (Georgetown, Boston U., Fordham). Passes were yearly, monthly, and daily. Some e-mailed their rates and facility directions.
Gonzaga has had 15 years to adjust to its rapid growth. What about non-prime times such as early mornings or late evenings for alumni? The new Stevens Center could be its breakthrough second facility if shared. Why not, Gonzaga?

Zag 77
03-08-2014, 10:14 PM
become a real Jesuit University

Goodness. I must have missed playing pickup basketball as being an essential element of the Spritual Exercises of St. Ignatius Loyola.

You really sound ticked off about this. You have sprinkled a couple of comments about this here and there. If you don't mind me saying, even a teeny bit obsessed. Relax.