PDA

View Full Version : Just a record question?

Zags11
03-06-2014, 08:56 AM
Have zag fans become greedy? Has the nation turned on us? Do the analyst's think less of us?

Since when is 25+ wins average? Mediocre? 18 years ago, the fan's would of been sipping Kool aid and just content. I understand it is human nature to want more. I understand we want that next step. Just reading on here, hearing people locally act like 25 wins is meh. I get asked alot, "Gonzaga having a down year. Why?" 25 wins for any school is a achievement. People I want a F4 and better, I am hungry for that. We have become greedy and take 25 plus wins for granted. (Not all)

The nation on a blog said gonzaga should need to win the wcc tournament to even make march as record was ok for being in wcc. I heard a cbs analyst on its sister program say same thing but that few has done a great job with a average zag squad. Good grief.

I don't know about anyone else but I will take 25 wins every yr and be happy. I wanna go deep in march but is 25 wins just meh to the population now for their take on bulldogs?

gonzagafan62
03-06-2014, 09:01 AM
Nah, I think its all public perception because we got screwed in the BIS situation, lost to Dayton in Maui and got stuck with Chaminade, and that sorta thing. If this was the 2008 Zags schedule, we wouldn't even be talking a down year.

MTZag03
03-06-2014, 09:03 AM
I'm happy with 25!

Mr Vulture
03-06-2014, 09:03 AM
The argument for this team being mediocre is that they have a poor record against the Top 50 RPI and no "signature wins". While I agree that it would have helped if they won even one of those games on the road down the stretch, speaking BYU/Memphis, thier profile is middle of the pack honestly. The record is solid, but it is just viewed as a product of not "beating anyone".

However, as I've stated ad nauseum that past couple weeks and regardless of what he "experts" say, this team is in the NCAA's. The results of the conference tournament outcome will affect seeding, good or bad. Win on Saturday and our floor seeding would be a 10 (unless they put us lower to give a closer game to home) and the further we go in the conference tournament the better the seed. Likely our best seed would be an 8 but I could see us slipping into the 7 if all fell right.

zag944
03-06-2014, 09:05 AM
I certainly don't feel we are entitled to make the tournament, but I will be very very bummed out the year it doesn't happen, regardless of how many wins we have.

Hard for me to appreciate the season as a whole right now, as we are arguably on pins and needles with work left to do.

adoptedzag
03-06-2014, 09:05 AM
The argument for this team being mediocre is that they have a poor record against the Top 50 RPI and no "signature wins". While I agree that it would have helped if they won even one of those games on the road down the stretch,speaking BYU/Memphis, there profile is middle of the pack honestly. The record is solid, but it is just viewed as a product of not "beating anyone".

However, as I've stated ad nauseum that past couple weeks and regardless of what he "experts" say, this team is in the NCAA's regardless of the conference tournament outcome. Win on Saturday and our floor seeding would be a 10 and the further we go the better the seed. Likely our best seed would be an 8 but I could see us slipping into the 7 if all fell right.

This is exactly right. We don't have any wins that we can hang our hat on. Our schedule just didn't do us any favors. People may be saying its a "down year" because we didn't have any big name wins on our schedule that generate buzz.

gonzagafan62
03-06-2014, 09:08 AM
I certainly don't feel we are entitled to make the tournament, but I will be very very bummed out the year it doesn't happen, regardless of how many wins we have.

Hard for me to appreciate the season as a whole right now, as we are arguably on pins and needles with work left to do.

Exactly. This.

bartruff1
03-06-2014, 09:48 AM
I could care less what other people think...I think it was a terrific season and the post season is just about to start....I cannot imagine a time when a conference championship and a 20 win season and a trip to the NCAA will disappoint me..

UKWildcatsFan
03-06-2014, 09:55 AM
I'd rather go 10-30 and win the NCAA title then go 39-1 and be runner-up.

gonzagafan62
03-06-2014, 10:47 AM

Id be just fine with both.

Zags11
03-06-2014, 12:03 PM

Yes. Just got asked again if "gonzaga deserve making march at all"?. I said yes they will make march even with less marquee wins then normal. He just shrugged. Smh.

McZag
03-06-2014, 12:47 PM
I believe that a Zags team will have a much better chance of reaching the sweet sixteen again in a year when no one expects them to.

And remember, we are trying to simply make the sweet sixteen at this point.

In the past it seems to me that our players have read their own press and bought into their own hype.

The less hype, the greater the chance to "catch lighting" again.

ZagsGoZags
03-06-2014, 01:43 PM
+1

UberZagFan
03-06-2014, 02:03 PM
Uber agrees with the 7-10 range and that the WCC will be about seeding. Unless a few crazy things happen next week where clear non-tourney teams win auto-bids in conferences where the others are locks like UW winning the PAC12.

As for the OP, someone just asked Uber a similar question about GU having a down year. Uber immediately agreed. 25 wins; going to the NCAAs sure is a down year. It wasn't a 27/28 win year with a top protected seed. So yeah down year. Uber then asked how he felt about his team having an average year, missing the NCAAs, going .500 in conference, losing to Irvine, barely beating LBSU, losing to your cross-state rival, etc.

Zags11
03-06-2014, 04:43 PM
Uber agrees with the 7-10 range and that the WCC will be about seeding. Unless a few crazy things happen next week where clear non-tourney teams win auto-bids in conferences where the others are locks like UW winning the PAC12.

As for the OP, someone just asked Uber a similar question about GU having a down year. Uber immediately agreed. 25 wins; going to the NCAAs sure is a down year. It wasn't a 27/28 win year with a top protected seed. So yeah down year. Uber then asked how he felt about his team having an average year, missing the NCAAs, going .500 in conference, losing to Irvine, barely beating LBSU, losing to your cross-state rival, etc.

lol

zagamatic
03-06-2014, 06:10 PM
Serious question, albeit a bit off topic, when is the last time that our Zags lost 3 games in a row? Or, for that matter, losing 4 out of 5 like Syracuse has recently? I only have my phone for internet, so it would take me quite a while to research something like this. And with teams like Syracuse, Duke, etc losing to teams in MARCH that are not even close to the bubble, why should we feel bad about our record when we're taking momentum into tournament time?

Rio Runner
03-06-2014, 07:08 PM
Serious question, albeit a bit off topic, when is the last time that our Zags lost 3 games in a row? Or, for that matter, losing 4 out of 5 like Syracuse has recently? I only have my phone for internet, so it would take me quite a while to research something like this. And with teams like Syracuse, Duke, etc losing to teams in MARCH that are not even close to the bubble, why should we feel bad about our record when we're taking momentum into tournament time?

Because we haven't beaten anybody this year. We've taken care of business for the most part (aside from Portland and USD), but we haven't won the big non-conference game(s) that we usually do. I think we are in, but it is a "down year," relatively speaking. And yes, we are spoiled.

BBzag
03-06-2014, 09:57 PM

There were two three-game losing streaks in 2010-11: Dec. 4, Illinois; Dec. 8, Washington State, and Dec. 11, Notre Dame; and Jan. 20, Santa Clara; Jan. 22, San Francisco; and Jan. 27, St. Mary's. Counting the losses Nov. 16 to San Diego State and Nov. 22 to Kansas State, there was a stretch with five losses in seven games; counting the Feb. 5 loss to Memphis, there was another stretch with four losses in six games.

zagamatic
03-06-2014, 10:34 PM
Thank you BB