PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Zagcruits Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

HenneZag
05-29-2013, 07:37 AM
TSSF has a nice follow up article regarding his recent offer. I came across a recent video of Kendall. His game is not flashy like Perkins, but he plays very smooth and seems to take what the D gives him. Suprising hops as well.

http://youtu.be/cPHCWvQRua4

DixieZag
05-29-2013, 09:35 AM
Hmmm, initially I saw nothing, but perhaps that was due more to the CYO gym than anything else. The put-back slam woke me up however.

I am not the biggest bb mind around, but he looked pretty good to me, the deep fall away 3 was fairly impressive, but I wonder what people will say about his low release.

anyway, thanks for the video and I look forward to hearing what the bb people here think.

jazzdelmar
05-29-2013, 09:39 AM
Meechian, w a shot. Apt name; will not likely grow much. CYO setting. #85 looks better. Columbia, Portland is the comp?

hooter73
05-29-2013, 10:26 AM
He has such a complete game for how young he is. Set shots, pull up jumpers, quick (albeit low) release, gets to the rim, good court awareness and IQ, but the best part is he wants to be a Zag. His handles and passing will continue to improve based only on the fact that he is intelligent enough to know to work on them. Ive been a long time fan.

Zagdawg
05-29-2013, 11:32 AM
Between Scout/Rivals current offers are Gonzaga, Arizona, San Diego State, Oregon, UNLV, and Boston College.

Leading his team as a sophomore-- a few more years to get experience.

Averages 20.8 pts, 6.3 boards, 4.6 steals, 3 assists 73% FT

Not bad numbers with 2 more years to go.

Go Zags

HenneZag
05-29-2013, 11:34 AM
Still has two years of Highschool ball left. By the time he potentially could make it to GU he could be dynamite. He has a nice tool set to work off of at this point. He seems like a smart player, from what I read, not a flashy player but does what it takes to get the job done.

He is a player that I believe in two years will blow up, so im glad were on him now, of course this is just jmo. He and the teams he plays on have great results and he puts up solid numbers, like I said not alot of flash and glam to his game, but the results are the same.

thespywhozaggedme
05-29-2013, 11:38 AM
Between Scout/Rivals current offers are Gonzaga, Arizona, San Diego State, Oregon, UNLV, and Boston College.

Leading his team as a sophomore-- a few more years to get experience.

Averages 20.8 pts, 6.3 boards, 4.6 steals, 3 assists 73% FT

Not bad numbers with 2 more years to go.

Go Zags

Those are great numbers for a sophomore in one of the top high school areas in the country. Is this the kid that grew up a diehard Zags fan, or is that someone else?

HenneZag
05-29-2013, 11:40 AM
Small grew up a huge Zags Fan.

thespywhozaggedme
05-29-2013, 12:02 PM
Small grew up a huge Zags Fan.

Well then, if we've offered why hasn't he verballed?

hooter73
05-29-2013, 12:13 PM

because he's smart and will weigh all options first... then verbal.

MDABE80
05-29-2013, 12:36 PM
Averages 20.8 pts, 6.3 boards, 4.6 steals, 3 assists 73% FT< I wouldn't sleep on him. GO!!already dynamite and he's blowing up before our eyes.
Superior person and family. Few needs to sign him up. He wants us and we want him. Perfect.

SanDiegoZag
05-29-2013, 12:41 PM
I watched him play once last year in a game against former Coug recruit Tanner Lancona. Small ended up fouling out at the start of the fourth quarter, so he certainly didn't log major minutes due to the foul trouble.

I would say there is a lot of Meech in his game (not necessarily a bad thing as many posters seem to think). The thing that stood out the most to me was his ability to draw fouls...really seemed to have a knack for drawing contact once he got towards the hoop.

The fact that he was a sophomore with two more years to improve was impressive. I would expect him to take the reigns of his team more this year. He is pretty quick, was great at getting in the opposing team's passing lanes and getting steals, and did not lack for effort. His shot was definitely better than Meech's. I really think Meech was a pretty good overall player, minus his shooting ability.

thespywhozaggedme
05-29-2013, 12:46 PM
because he's smart and will weigh all options first... then verbal.

That makes ZERO sense if the information given is correct. By all accounts we are his dream school. That would be like you having a crush for ever on this girl; you like everything about her and then when you find out the feelings are mutual, you tell are that you have to "weigh all of your options". Either she was your dream girl, or she wasn't.

thespywhozaggedme
05-29-2013, 12:47 PM
I watched him play once last year in a game against former Coug recruit Tanner Lancona. Small ended up fouling out at the start of the fourth quarter, so he certainly didn't log major minutes due to the foul trouble.

I would say there is a lot of Meech in his game (not necessarily a bad thing as many posters seem to think). The thing that stood out the most to me was his ability to draw fouls...really seemed to have a knack for drawing contact once he got towards the hoop.

The fact that he was a sophomore with two more years to improve was impressive. I would expect him to take the reigns of his team more this year. He is pretty quick, was great at getting in the opposing team's passing lanes and getting steals, and did not lack for effort. His shot was definitely better than Meech's. I really think Meech was a pretty good overall player, minus his shooting ability.

Hmmmm....your post gives me great pause. I'm now conflicted.

BroncoZAG615
05-29-2013, 12:52 PM

I can't think of a prospect that has verbaled prior to visiting campus and interacting with the team. Perhaps that has something to do with it...

cjm720
05-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Let's see that committment, Small! Love your game...

Zagdawg
05-29-2013, 01:05 PM
I'm thinking his defensive nature 4.6 steals, also led him to fouling.

He shot 61% from 2 and 31% from 3 -- so he has room more improvement there.

I think he would be a great fit for the team.

Hope he grows another inch or two -- drink that milk-- eat them wheaties.

:)

azzagfan
05-29-2013, 01:06 PM
The low release comment seems strange. Pangos' release is lower than what I saw on the video. He seems to have a complete skill set based on the 2 minutes of video (particularly for a sophomore).

thespywhozaggedme
05-29-2013, 01:06 PM
I can't think of a prospect that has verbaled prior to visiting campus and interacting with the team. Perhaps that has something to do with it...

Wiltjer did with Kentucky and they weren't his "dream team". Again, I didn't say it, I'm just repeating the message. By all accounts he grew up a diehard Zag fan and we are his dream team. We have reciprocated the feeling.

hooter73
05-29-2013, 01:11 PM
How do you not get that even your dream girl might be dating other dudes? He wants to play ball, might prefer GU, but if our roster is full for his time frame, or as said, if he doesnt gel with the team, then even if he's excited at the prospect, why would he not check it out before committing. Hes a smart kid and only a sophomore. "doesnt make sense" doesnt make sense to me.

BroncoZAG615
05-29-2013, 01:18 PM
Wiltjer did with Kentucky and they weren't his "dream team". Again, I didn't say it, I'm just repeating the message. By all accounts he grew up a diehard Zag fan and we are his dream team. We have reciprocated the feeling.

My apologies, I was speaking specifically to Gonzaga verbals. There is such an emphasis placed on the official visit at GU that we likely won't hear of a commitment until that takes place.

thespywhozaggedme
05-29-2013, 01:29 PM
How do you not get that even your dream girl might be dating other dudes? He wants to play ball, might prefer GU, but if our roster is full for his time frame, or as said, if he doesnt gel with the team, then even if he's excited at the prospect, why would he not check it out before committing. Hes a smart kid and only a sophomore. "doesnt make sense" doesnt make sense to me.

Huh? We're the "dream girl" and we offered, showing that the admiration is mutual. I'm not getting what you're not getting. :confused::confused:

thespywhozaggedme
05-29-2013, 01:32 PM
My apologies, I was speaking specifically to Gonzaga verbals. There is such an emphasis placed on the official visit at GU that we likely won't hear of a commitment until that takes place.

Oh, okay. Keep in mind, it wasn't me who said that we were his dream school, by all accounts, it was his father. If his dream school has reciprocated the interest, what's the hold up on a verbal. If he visits and for some reason hates it (why would he, we're his dream school) than he can always decommit.

cjm720
05-29-2013, 01:50 PM
Oh, okay. Keep in mind, it wasn't me who said that we were his dream school, by all accounts, it was his father. If his dream school has reciprocated the interest, what's the hold up on a verbal. If he visits and for some reason hates it (why would he, we're his dream school) than he can always decommit.

Because the coach sucks and can't recruit? I can't tell if that's what you're getting at but the dude is 16 years old. Why try to get in his head? He likes us, we like him...time will tell what happens. I'm guessing he'll be a Zag.

sittingon50
05-29-2013, 01:52 PM
VanderSloot was the Dream Girl.

She graduated.

maynard g krebs
05-29-2013, 01:55 PM
Huh? We're the "dream girl" and we offered, showing that the admiration is mutual. I'm not getting what you're not getting. :confused::confused:

To borrow a well known line from a movie, "It's not personal. It's business."
A career decision for guys that have a chance to make a living playing ball.

DixieZag
05-29-2013, 02:10 PM
The low release comment seems strange. Pangos' release is lower than what I saw on the video. He seems to have a complete skill set based on the 2 minutes of video (particularly for a sophomore).

That was me, or at least I was the first to mention it - so, take that for what it's worth, next to nothing.

Pangos does have a low release and it can hurt him from time to time (compare to Bell) it isn't a killer, just something I noticed that Small held it a little below his forehead. As he gets stronger perhaps he'll get more elevation and bring it up more.

ZagaZags
05-29-2013, 02:28 PM
He can take official visits next year.

willandi
05-29-2013, 06:25 PM
Pendo!:cheers:

Jedster
05-29-2013, 07:07 PM
According to TSSF article, looks like they are trying to set up a visit in mid-January when he can take official visits. Exciting idea to think of him visiting during a game. Seeing the Kennel in action will make him commit on the spot!

sittingon50
05-29-2013, 08:57 PM
Assuming school is in session.

ZagaZags
06-18-2013, 12:12 AM
Oregon has offered Kendall Small.

thespywhozaggedme
06-18-2013, 05:49 AM
Oregon has offered Kendall Small.

This is getting ridiculous; it's like they just copy us, whoever we offer, they do the same. UGH!

HenneZag
06-18-2013, 07:11 AM
A few years ago I wasn't really worried about Oregon because I felt we were on another level. But now along with their dazzling facilities and flashy 101 different combinations of uniform, they are actually a respectable program that is on the rise. It's tough to compete with that, like a kid in the willy wonka factory it messes with your mind. But I have always said new wears off.

Gonzaga is a special place, its consistent, our fan base is out of control.
Gonzaga is Spokane. We bleed Gonzaga blue. Our true colors really shine when we travel, for instance Vegas. It blows my mind how many people make the trek to see the ZAGS play. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that. You can't put a price tag or buy that, its earned through time and we are there, Oregon still has a way to go.

Let this recruiting battle begin. Going after Small and im sure Silas Melson is next. Not much we can do about it, hopefully the staff can put in the work.

cjm720
06-18-2013, 10:12 AM
Keep your hands off Kendall, Mr. Altman!

MDABE80
06-18-2013, 10:41 AM
This is getting ridiculous; it's like they just copy us, whoever we offer, they do the same. UGH!

When Dana was at Creighton, he adored what Few has done with the program. Small wonder he's going after the same or similar kids.

MTZag03
06-18-2013, 10:46 AM
Oregon is getting to really be a thorn in the side. This is ridiculous. Do we have a single person we have offered that UO hasn't offered afterwards?

Can't argue with the fact they make the Sweet Sixteen and we don't I guess.

thespywhozaggedme
06-18-2013, 10:48 AM
When Dana was at Creighton, he adored what Few has done with the program. Small wonder he's going after the same or similar kids.

Every time we offer someone, the recruit seems to get an Oregon offer shortly thereafter. Is there one recruit that has an offer from both schools where Oregon offered first? P.S. I liked your pun

HenneZag
06-18-2013, 11:03 AM
Apparently he is at the USC camp and doing very well. Just saw the info and now I cant find it but I was going to quote it. Basically it said that he was on another level with his feel for the game and that you can see his joy for the game.

thespywhozaggedme
06-18-2013, 05:54 PM
Apparently he is at the USC camp and doing very well. Just saw the info and now I cant find it but I was going to quote it. Basically it said that he was on another level with his feel for the game and that you can see his joy for the game.

If we're his "dream school" and we already offered, why would he go to a camp at another school that is recruiting him?

KStyles
06-18-2013, 06:17 PM
If we're his "dream school" and we already offered, why would he go to a camp at another school that is recruiting him?

Because that was the elite camp happening in SoCal (where he lives) over the weekend and other guys on his AAU team went?

http://i.imgur.com/dQbYmR3.png

HenneZag
06-18-2013, 06:27 PM
He is 2015 and still hasn't been up to Spokane yet. He is a player that is going to have numerous options us being his dream school or not. Potentially who we get in the 2014 class could also affect his decision to commit to us. If Kendall does pull the trigger it will probably be sometime early season in 2013.

Alot of guys come to our camp but it doesn't mean everybody gets to play for Gonzaga. This goes for USC as well. Small is smart and still evolving as a player. USC is the least of my worry, SDSU/Oregon are the schools I would be worried about.

cjm720
06-19-2013, 06:46 AM
Looks like we've offered this combo guard. In the Silas Melson thread a poster mentioned that he verballed to Tommy, so I did some research. Looks like a baller with good pedigree.

http://www.premierball.com/2015-stephen-thompson-jr-interview/

BroncoZAG615
06-19-2013, 07:28 AM
Shameless plug alert (sorry) but here is a bit more information in a recent interview we did with Don Small, Kendall's father. Don coaches Kendall, Stephen Thompson, and Jeremy Hemsley. All three have had great summers and have big interest in the Zags - but no commits so far.

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2013/5/29/4376952/trio-of-2015-guards-have-interest-from-gonzaga

cjm720
06-19-2013, 08:02 AM
Shameless plug alert (sorry) but here is a bit more information in a recent interview we did with Don Small, Kendall's father. Don coaches Kendall, Stephen Thompson, and Jeremy Hemsley. All three have had great summers and have big interest in the Zags - but no commits so far.

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2013/5/29/4376952/trio-of-2015-guards-have-interest-from-gonzaga

Thanks for the link/connection to Small. That'd be a nice back court to build on, along with Melson.

bigparb
06-19-2013, 08:09 AM
Bronc....its funny really....a lot of folks around here want info on the team/recruits......they complain they don't have it or get it, and all they've got to do is check out your site and follow you on twitter.........would be MUCH more informed about a kid like this for instance.....

Great work BTW....

BroncoZAG615
06-19-2013, 09:10 AM
Bronc....its funny really....a lot of folks around here want info on the team/recruits......they complain they don't have it or get it, and all they've got to do is check out your site and follow you on twitter.........would be MUCH more informed about a kid like this for instance.....

Great work BTW....

Very kind of you to say. Appreciate the comment.

To your point, if you are interested in recruiting and not on Twitter, you are doing yourself a disservice. Not saying you need to follow us but things like Twitter are so ideal for recruiting. I know many tend to shake their fists at social media but I would recommend getting an account and following some of the top analysts.

Vanzagger
06-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the info.

I see his top 5 schools are 4 Blue Bloods & Cuse

HenneZag
06-29-2013, 06:35 PM
[QUOTE]@JoelFranESPN

Standouts @UC Urvine camp: 2015s Darrian Traylor (jumpshootin combo), Kendall Small (dominant pg), Jeffrey McClendon (beast SG)/QUOTE]

DixieZag
06-29-2013, 07:26 PM
[QUOTE]@JoelFranESPN

Standouts @UC Urvine camp: 2015s Darrian Traylor (jumpshootin combo), Kendall Small (dominant pg), Jeffrey McClendon (beast SG)/QUOTE]

Good for him. Hopefully good for us. Certainly seems like he is improving at a rate that is giving him more and more publicity.

As for Oregon - Isn't it likely that he will be offered by every Pac school? I hate that they have been battling us for recruits also - but in this case, I don't think it has much to do with following our example as just being like nearly every other school out here. Dunno.

HenneZag
06-29-2013, 07:42 PM
More teams are starting to take notice. I don't think Small is this explosive athlete, but very solid and poised, he makes the right plays. I know Oregon State offered, not sure about Oregon but I heard they did, also SDSU and New Mexico are on him. That's tough company. Already a 4 star on ESPN I believe. I know he states he likes GU and im sure he does, but im guessing he will wait to pull a trigger with us until he sees how this 2014 class shapes up.

California PG's get more publicity then players from other areas of the western side of the country due to the fact of competition. History shows we haven't went hard after California guards, so im guessing thats why we are seeing the competition to get them with tough company. I hope we can get him to GU.

hooter73
06-30-2013, 07:10 AM
it'd be great if he had a year of learning under Pangos and Bell, but if 2014 leaves us with no point guard commitment, I fell pretty good about Small and 2015.

exclusivelee
09-11-2013, 09:34 PM
Gonzaga scouts sighted watching 2015 6'3 SG Stephen Thompson (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/stephen-thompson-jr&usd=2&usg=ALhdy2-r_cy9HdGEcB7bA14G1-p193p9ZQ) today:

http://i.imgur.com/j2RAql3.png (https://twitter.com/CASupAthletes/status/377963317349711872)

Thompson is currently ranked:

#86 by Scout
#108 by 247sports
#110 by ESPN

Zagdawg
10-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Kendall Small at the Fullcourt Press Fall Showcase last week.

https://twitter.com/CASupAthletes/status/383461141197762560

WallaWallaZag
10-04-2013, 02:55 PM
that was like a showcase of zero d... at least it tells us small can hit wide open threes and can dunk when no one is around =).

curious to see if zags still have a shot at small with the perkins commit...

MDABE80
10-04-2013, 03:01 PM
If we want Kendall, we need to go hardon him right now .If Few waits arund much longer, he'll be gone to the Pac 12...or another big school. Frankly, I don't know what we're waiting for. Shoots well and is quick. Handles the ball well and hits his FT's. Passing is no problem. Seems to about cover it.

ZagaZags
10-04-2013, 11:54 PM
If we want Kendall, we need to go hardon him right now .If Few waits arund much longer, he'll be gone to the Pac 12...or another big school. Frankly, I don't know what we're waiting for. Shoots well and is quick. Handles the ball well and hits his FT's. Passing is no problem. Seems to about cover it.

We just need to wait until next summer for him to take an official visit. Small did attend GU road games in SoCal last year.
Not much more you can do.

hooter73
10-05-2013, 07:03 AM
I agree that letting Small get away would be a travesty. Good player that WANTS to come to GU. Recipe for personal and team success right there.

HenneZag
10-05-2013, 09:07 AM
https://twitter.com/CASupAthletes

-I guess there was a camp in Kentucky that Small attended-

A great all around player, hopefully were still after him, the more time goes on the harder its going to get to land him with the likes of Louisville and pretty much the entire Pac-12 gunning for his services.

exclusivelee
10-05-2013, 09:36 AM
https://twitter.com/CASupAthletes

-I guess there was a camp in Kentucky that Small attended-

A great all around player, hopefully were still after him, the more time goes on the harder its going to get to land him with the likes of Louisville and pretty much the entire Pac-12 gunning for his services.

Kendall Small, Stephen Thompson, and Jeremy Hemsley all took unofficial visits to Louisville while they were there

kendall ‏@kendallsmall17

Unofficial to Louisville!!
7:48 PM - 27 Sep 13 (https://twitter.com/kendallsmall17/status/383785296825159681)

JeremyHemsley @jeremy_hemsley

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BVOUrYkCYAAsQVu.jpg
9:42 PM - 27 Sep 13 (https://twitter.com/jeremy_hemsley/status/383813866448105473/photo/1)

DixieZag
10-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Getting nervous. We have offered, right? But, I don't recall him visiting campus.

He would be a great addition. Guard U seems solid - he would be a cherry on top.

exclusivelee
10-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Getting nervous. We have offered, right? But, I don't recall him visiting campus.

He would be a great addition. Guard U seems solid - he would be a cherry on top.

High School students can make official visits as early as January 1 of their junior year... less than 3 months =)

Not too worried at this point:

http://i.imgur.com/yeo6zXz.png (http://imgur.com/yeo6zXz)
http://i.imgur.com/NAKKjYq.png (http://imgur.com/NAKKjYq)
http://i.imgur.com/l8MbybI.png (http://imgur.com/l8MbybI)
http://i.imgur.com/zEh1GP8.png (http://imgur.com/zEh1GP8)

Kiddwell
10-05-2013, 02:05 PM
ESPN has Small in their Top-60. Why wouldn't the Zags stay after him? And why wouldn't Kendall be redhot about playing with all the talent Mark Few is bringing in?

:]

hooter73
10-06-2013, 06:58 AM
The issue is the same one any recruit faces... log jambs.

ZagaZags
11-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Visited this weekend. from the sounds of it, he had a good time.
Dejounte Murray Shoutout To Gonzaga Coaching Staff And Players For Having Me Down Here This Week It Was Crazy �� Enjoyed My Self - See more at: http://verbalcommits.com/players/dejounte-murray#sthash.tnmCsS1m.dpuf

Quick clip on Murray. He is #5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK_7oJQ0Sgw

ZagaZags
01-15-2014, 11:59 PM
Visited this weekend. from the sounds of it, he had a good time.
Dejounte Murray Shoutout To Gonzaga Coaching Staff And Players For Having Me Down Here This Week It Was Crazy �� Enjoyed My Self - See more at: http://verbalcommits.com/players/dejounte-murray#sthash.tnmCsS1m.dpuf

Quick clip on Murray. He is #5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK_7oJQ0Sgw

Dejounte Murray choosing the Zags is not fiction. 2015 has a chance to be as good as 2014.

Oregonzagnut
01-16-2014, 06:26 AM
These tweets are the awesome truth.

Gonzaga 2015 dream starting lineup: Josh Perkins, Silas Melson, Dejounte Murray, Kyle Wiltjer, and... Karnowski

WOW Imagine that starting 5. Plus Murray is probably still growing, as is Perkins. Their games are still adjusting to their body and their increasing knowledge and practice.

WallaWallaZag
01-16-2014, 06:35 AM
if either wiltjer or karno have a great year in 2014 then good chance they're gone. nunez and dranginis should still be around as well...and i doubt murray would start over one or both of them considering they would be 5th year seniors.

FlatheadZag
02-04-2014, 01:38 PM
Does anyone know if we are recruiting Tres Tinkle out of Missoula Hellgate HS? One of the best prospects to come out of Montana in a while. He is the son of UM Grizzly head coach Wayne Tinkle. His sister Elle plays for the Lady Bulldogs already. I've been watching his highlights lately and he is a sure fire Division one player. 6'5" guard and very athletic, only a junior, so he might grow another inch or two. (his father is 6'10", I believe). Would be a good fit for the Bulldogs.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-04-2014, 01:57 PM
Basketball is in the blood. His mom was an all time great for the Lady Griz, too.

titopoet
02-04-2014, 02:14 PM
Does anyone know if we are recruiting Tres Tinkle out of Missoula Hellgate HS? One of the best prospects to come out of Montana in a while. He is the son of UM Grizzly head coach Wayne Tinkle. His sister Elle plays for the Lady Bulldogs already. I've been watching his highlights lately and he is a sure fire Division one player. 6'5" guard and very athletic, only a junior, so he might grow another inch or two. (his father is 6'10", I believe). Would be a good fit for the Bulldogs.

He would be a great get, but I would be surprised if he does not play for his dad as a Grizz.

kitzbuel
02-04-2014, 02:14 PM
I'd take him. Queue him up right behind Kyle.

FlatheadZag
02-04-2014, 02:28 PM
Both of Wayne's daughters left Missoula. Joselyn played at Stanford and Elle, of course at Gonzaga. So, Tres may want a bigger stage than at UM..

Norcalzag
02-04-2014, 03:50 PM
The family connection to Gonzaga extends beyond the kid's sister. His grandfather, Wayne Tinkle Sr., was dean of students at Gonzaga back in the 1970s.

Zippyzaggy
02-04-2014, 04:03 PM
He would be a great get, but I would be surprised if he does not play for his dad as a Grizz.

plus 1

Exactly what I was thinking...or wondering.

Zippyzaggy
02-04-2014, 04:06 PM
Sorry Norcal and FlatheadZag, didn't see your posts. That helps clear things up some.

wnczagfan
02-04-2014, 04:08 PM
He is also friends with some of the Zags, if his twitter is any indication. Perhaps we might have a chance at him.

ZaGranny
02-04-2014, 04:17 PM
Basketball recruiting notebook: Hellgate's Tres Tinkle garnering national attention

Read more: http://billingsgazette.com/sports/high-school/blogs/gazprepsports/basketball/basketball-recruiting-notebook-hellgate-s-tres-tinkle-garnering-national-attention/article_38d989d2-c04e-550f-a4c4-33a83d1f4f75.html#ixzz2sPCjV7jN

While it remains to be seen just how good Tinkle can be — he’s only starting his junior year of high school later this month — the potential is there. This summer, he picked up a scholarship offer from Utah, who is coached by former Griz player Larry Krystkowiak. Krystkowiak was also the head coach at Montana for the 2004-05 and 2005-06 seasons when Wayne Tinkle was an assistant. Tres Tinkle said receiving the offer was very exciting.

“Just knowing that you already have one offer just boosts your confidence,” Tinkle said, “but it also lets you know that you have potential to get more offers, and that you can improve to get other schools looking at you.”

Schools from all over the western United States have expressed varying degrees of interest. Tinkle listed Arizona State, Boise State, Cal, Colorado, Gonzaga, Montana, Oregon State, Pepperdine, Portland and Stanford, as well as Boston College, Harvard and Rice as colleges to talk with him. Gershon said it’s only a matter of time before more offers start rolling in.

“If he grows with standard progression, I don’t see any reason why he wouldn’t be a Pac-12 caliber talent,” Gershon added. “If he’s 6-8 with that same skill set and basketball IQ, he’s very easily a high-major player.”

Read more: http://billingsgazette.com/sports/high-school/blogs/gazprepsports/basketball/basketball-recruiting-notebook-hellgate-s-tres-tinkle-garnering-national-attention/article_38d989d2-c04e-550f-a4c4-33a83d1f4f75.html#ixzz2sPCdRXqy

More about Tres at the link. I could not find anything newer--I went on ESPN insider and found out he had an offer from Boston College as of 12/19/14.

ZaGranny

raise the zag
02-04-2014, 04:20 PM
Per ESPN recruiting:

SCOUTING REPORT

ESPN Analyst
Updated 12/19/2013

Strengths:
Tinkle has a lengthy frame (long arms) that suggests at least a few more inches are in order for the future. He has a high basketball IQ already due to his passing and overall feel for the game. He runs well in transition, can handle the ball well while leading the break, and his passing is impressive. He can step out and hit the jump shot, especially in the 17-feet range.

Weaknesses:
Tinkle is still growing and as a result his athleticism (bounce/quickness) are just beginning to evolve. He needs to continue to polish his inside-out skills as well as his fundamentals (playing wide/bend knees) while operating in the paint.

Bottom Line:
Tres is the son of Montana Head Coach Wayne Tinkle, who by the way was an All-Conference big man in the Big Sky Conference in the 1980's. At this stage he projects as a skilled Division I face-up 4-man.

Ranked as an 80 score prospect i.e. 3.5 star recruit. Definitely a prospect to keep an eye on -- seems to be intrigued and most interested in Pac-12 schools (based on his words and people around him); would be prudent stay on him and see if he grows/develops. His eldest sister attended Stanford, Elle is 110% Zag, and Tres seems destined for a Pac-12 school, imho, yet would make a tremendous Zag.

Projects as a stretch-4 or versatile 3 man if he improves on his defense and athleticism.

We'll see...

BobZag
02-04-2014, 04:23 PM
The kid from Nampa to be followed by the kid from Missoula.

Keep the wings local!

Zippyzaggy
02-04-2014, 04:37 PM
I can see the future headline now: Zag's Tres Tinkle Tames Tennessee's Thompson in OT tussle. ;)

* And yes, there IS a freshman by the name of Darius Thompson on the Vols roster.

maynard g krebs
02-04-2014, 07:36 PM
When Tinkle dribbles down the floor, is a janitor with a mop close behind? Sorry, couldn't help it.

mtzaga
02-05-2014, 03:51 AM
Tinkle scores 13 in Hellgate win over Sentinel. Get scholarship offer from USC.

http://missoulian.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/sentinel-girls-dominate-knights-hellgate-boys-pull-away-with-big/article_0715fb9a-8e2a-11e3-91e8-001a4bcf887a.html

DixieZag
02-05-2014, 06:52 AM
Some fathers and sons just think it best to not have coach-player relationship. I can see why some kids do, I can see why some don't. I wouldn't assume he'll play for dad and it seems like GU isn't.

Hoopaholic
02-05-2014, 07:44 AM
Some fathers and sons just think it best to not have coach-player relationship. I can see why some kids do, I can see why some don't. I wouldn't assume he'll play for dad and it seems like GU isn't.

I am STILL paying for coaching my younger brother in high school.....still carries an axe to grind..thus why I made the deliberate decision to step out of formal coaching when my son got to HS... we spent hours in the gym together still but I wanted him to speak for himself with his play on the court and not have some two bit parent chirpping about playing time, call plays, scoring, awards etc....and it was well worth the 4 years away to sit high and tight in the stands and watch my son become an all state player....

Hoopaholic
02-05-2014, 08:08 AM
knowing what I know about this family .....I would LOVE to have him as a ZAG

hooter73
02-05-2014, 08:35 AM
I was a heck of a pitcher because of my dad, until I started playing for the team he coached. Dont even watch baseball on TV anymore.

Tinkle is of the Zag molding. Long arms, high IQ, maybe a little skinny and not the most athletic guy in the world, and thats not a bad thing, we know how to work with and succeed with those players. As much as everyone wants big name lots of stars southern california kids, I love local talent and will be following his career no matter where he ends up.

Hoopaholic
02-05-2014, 09:00 AM
I was a heck of a pitcher because of my dad, until I started playing for the team he coached. Dont even watch baseball on TV anymore.

Tinkle is of the Zag molding. Long arms, high IQ, maybe a little skinny and not the most athletic guy in the world, and thats not a bad thing, we know how to work with and succeed with those players. As much as everyone wants big name lots of stars southern california kids, I love local talent and will be following his career no matter where he ends up.

Me too on the local talent...........hidden gems all over the pacific northwest

Zag 77
02-05-2014, 09:05 AM
Is that "Tre" as in French or "Trez" as in Montanan?:D

ZAGLAWQB
02-05-2014, 09:26 AM
Are Zags recruiting great player in own backyard ?

DixieZag
02-05-2014, 10:09 AM
I am STILL paying for coaching my younger brother in high school.....still carries an axe to grind..thus why I made the deliberate decision to step out of formal coaching when my son got to HS... we spent hours in the gym together still but I wanted him to speak for himself with his play on the court and not have some two bit parent chirpping about playing time, call plays, scoring, awards etc....and it was well worth the 4 years away to sit high and tight in the stands and watch my son become an all state player....

You sound like a good dad and brother. Good job.

I think there's a lot to learn from that for me, a guy with a 6 y/o daughter whom I'm sure will be involved with something - - support her, maybe help on the periphery.

Zippyzaggy
02-05-2014, 10:26 AM
When Tinkle dribbles down the floor, is a janitor with a mop close behind? Sorry, couldn't help it.

Hilarious!

Now, who's gonna clean up the Dr. pepper I just sprayed all over my desk?

If I were this kid, I'd laugh at something like that too. You know, what with being such an athletic, intelligent, good looking kid...I'd certainly possess a great sense of humor.

former1dog
02-05-2014, 10:39 AM
knowing what I know about this family .....I would LOVE to have him as a ZAG

I had a chance to sit and chat with the elder Mr. Tinkle as I was waiting for my Mom's flight in from MT. He was waiting for the same plane to fly out.

Like most Montanan's he's a salt of the earth type. Great guy.

Zippyzaggy
02-05-2014, 11:05 AM
Surprised someone moved this thread.

Tinkle is possibly a Zag recruit and future Zag. Sabonis is too, yet his thread is fixed in place...is there a difference?

a13coach
02-05-2014, 01:03 PM
I had a chance to sit and chat with the elder Mr. Tinkle as I was waiting for my Mom's flight in from MT. He was waiting for the same plane to fly out.

Like most Montanan's he's a salt of the earth type. Great guy.

I know Wayne Tinkle has probably spent the majority of his life in MT as a player and coach and may even considers himself to be a Montanan but he was a Spokane product from Ferris HS. :)

ZAGLAWQB
02-05-2014, 03:57 PM
Oregon State low "humming" about possible father/son combo.

SWZag
02-06-2014, 08:08 AM
According to Verbal Commits, it appears he has offers from Utah, USC and now Boston College.

Missoulian: Tres Tinkle Impresses on Summer Circuit (http://missoulian.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/tres-tinkle-impresses-on-summer-circuit/article_3f83d4be-0547-11e3-b3d1-001a4bcf887a.html)

Josh Gershon, a basketball recruiting analyst for Fox Sports and Scout.com, saw Tinkle play at the Best of Summer Tournament in Anaheim and was impressed by his versatility.

“He does almost every single thing very well,” Gershon said. “He can take his defender into the post, or he can bring him outside and shoot over them. He’s a very good passer, he can rebound, he has (good) footwork. How hard he plays and the way he affects the game … his versatility is his attribute.”

Schools from all over the West have expressed varying degrees of interest. Tinkle listed Arizona State, Boise State, Cal, Colorado, Gonzaga, Montana, Oregon State, Pepperdine, Portland and Stanford, as well as Boston College, Harvard and Rice as colleges to talk with him. Gershon said it’s only a matter of time before more offers start rolling in.

Tinkle said his dad, Montana coach Wayne Tinkle, told him to focus on the little things this summer.

“He’s a D-I coach, so you have to listen to him,” said the younger Tinkle. “Coaches know you’ll be able to score, but they want to see what else you can do. They like that I take charges … running in transition, working hard, just the little things.”

ABC Fox Montana: SO GOOD: Hellgate's Tres Tinkle (http://www.abcfoxmontana.com/story/24465400/so-good-hellgates-tres-tinkle)

NY Times: Fab Five, All Family (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/21/sports/ncaabasketball/tinkles-of-montana-form-basketballs-first-family.html?_r=0) - About the family

The way he talks, it doesn't sound like in the slightest he's a surety for going to Montana.

Love the small city/town local kids. I'm on board. Get this train rolling.

SWZag

jazzdelmar
02-06-2014, 08:22 AM
The quintessential Zag.

Article. The best basketball player of the bunch, though, might be Tres. He already has a 71-inch wingspan, his father said.

“He’ll probably be my height, but he has way more skill than I had at that age,” Wayne Tinkle said. “A lot can change in a couple of years, but I think he’ll get recruited at every level.”

Montana has been unable to keep the Tinkle children at home for college, and Tres’ talent may send him far from home, too — another challenge for the parents, who wish they were able to see their children play in person more often.

Birddog
02-06-2014, 08:38 AM
He already has a 71-inch wingspan, his father said.

If that is not a typo then he has a pretty short wingspan for a 6'5" player. Tyranosaurus short.

northsidezagfan
02-06-2014, 08:43 AM
If that is not a typo then he has a pretty short wingspan for a 6'5" player. Tyranosaurus short.

I thought the same thing. Maybe 81 inches? Gotta be a typo.

kitzbuel
02-06-2014, 08:46 AM

Maybe that's why he keeps his hair short, doesn't have to comb it.

SWZag
02-06-2014, 08:54 AM
In one of the articles I posted, it mentions a 7-foot wingspan, which would be 84 inches.

Birddog
02-06-2014, 09:04 AM
In one of the articles I posted, it mentions a 7-foot wingspan, which would be 84 inches.
It probably should have read 7'1" not 71" and that is one helluva wingspan for a 6'5" kid.

Goshzagit
02-06-2014, 09:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVSZ0ziBowI

Team vid from last season.

Notice Mr. Tinkle score with ease over a current 7'0" Zag. At the :47 mark and AGAIN at the :59 mark. Look similar, yet clearly separate plays.

Glides over and around Edwards to score a couple buckets. Sweet moves.

BobZag
02-06-2014, 10:54 AM
A man among boys there.

exclusivelee
02-06-2014, 12:31 PM
Kendall Small, along with Jeremy Hemsley and Stevie Thompson, lists Gonzaga in his prospective top 5:

http://i.imgur.com/TPOrDxc.png (http://i.imgur.com/TPOrDxc.png)

https://twitter.com/PremierBall/status/431533009829769216

https://twitter.com/PremierBall/status/431537082020798464

cjm720
02-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Used to like Steve Fisher, but I'm starting to hate that guy.

webspinnre
02-06-2014, 12:36 PM
Apparently PremierBall doesn't know the difference between perspective and prospective.

Goshzagit
02-06-2014, 12:41 PM
Always been big on Small.

northsidezagfan
02-06-2014, 12:46 PM
+1 thanks for the update. Would love any of the 3.

BobZag
02-06-2014, 04:21 PM
I've stopped commenting either way on the Kennel Club and how they do. I might quote what I hear someone say but that's all. The Kennel is what it is.

Really like the recruits the staff are going after, from Sabonis in Europe to Small, Thompson, Hemsley, Tinkle, et al, domestically. And of course the incoming class of '14: Melson, Perkins, Alberts....Sabonis. (I would LOVE to nab the next Damian Lillard.)

Keep it up, staff!

The guards need to be the heart of this team. I don't feel Shem, Dower, et al, are efficient enough to keep tossing the ball into. They don't warrant nor deserve nor have earned it, with exception to perhaps Dower. The core and spine of this team is the guard/wing-set of Stockton, Pangos, Bell, Dranginis, Barham, Coleman... I'd rather see them driving and/or shooting than see Karno attempting 3-foot hooks, truth be told.

I'll add more later. A movie awaits.

GPGUgrad
02-06-2014, 04:37 PM
I've stopped commenting either way on the Kennel Club and how they do. I might quote what I hear someone say but that's all. The Kennel is what it is.

Really like the recruits the staff are going after, from Sabonis in Europe to Small, Thompson, Hemsley, Tinkle, et al, domestically. And of course the incoming class of '14: Melson, Perkins, Alberts....Sabonis. (I would LOVE to nab the next Damian Lillard.)

Keep it up, staff!

The guards need to be the heart of this team. I don't feel Shem, Dower, et al, are efficient enough to keep tossing the ball into. They don't warrant nor deserve nor have earned it, with exception to perhaps Dower. The core and spine of this team is the guard/wing-set of Stockton, Pangos, Bell, Dranginis, Barham, Coleman... I'd rather see them driving and/or shooting than see Karno attempting 3-foot hooks, truth be told.

+1

Wow, I was just telling one of my relatives like 2 hours ago, the same thing.

I asked, why does it seem like that's the only play we have?

Reborn
02-06-2014, 04:38 PM

eep it up, staff!

Thanks Bob! I agree. Accept for Sam, and you kind of say the same thing. Sam is money this year most of the time. He got in foul trouble early last night and it hurt his playing time, but when scoring was needed in the second half he sure put a few in the basket at the right time. And of course most often he's a really good free throw shooter. I think PK most often plays good defense and rebounds well, and I believe that's why he's in there.

GrizZAG
02-06-2014, 04:43 PM
Hope he comes, Hellgate is the high school I came from! Go Knights!

VinnyZag
02-06-2014, 05:57 PM
In defense of Sam Dower ...

By the numbers, he is the most efficient scorer on the team.

A sampling of statistics:

Offense rating: 127.7, third on team behind Bell and Barham
Usage rate: 23.6%, behind Coleman and Nunez
Field goal percentage: .598, first among guys who play
Free throw percentage: .857, behind only Pangos and Bell
Points per game: 14.6, trailing only Pangos

Conference only
15.5 ppg, 8th in WCC, best on team
.583 fg%, best in league
.872 FT%, 6th in league (better than Pangos)

BTB
02-06-2014, 06:00 PM
The best basketball player of the bunch, though, might be Tres.

That's bold, his sister Joslyn is now a pro in the WNBA! Lets hope you're right and he comes here though!

I live in Missoula, I need to go watch Tres.

BobZag
02-06-2014, 06:38 PM
Forgot how entertaining those Pirates of the Caribbean flicks are, and how hot Keira Knightly is! Shewee. As Bowser observed, she has nice mandibles. :o But I digress...

Anyhow, more Zag thoughts--

This year more than any I feel any WCC team can beat any WCC team on any given night. Just when you think BYU is the best, LMU and Pepp sweep them. Think SMC is tops...until SCU, USD and others beat them. Gonzaga can beat both by double-figures, then get owned at Portland. Let your guard down this year and you're as good as beaten.

After losing Olynyk, Harris and Hart, this was meant to be a tansitional year, especially after whiffing on a quality big last summer. No new incoming help at all, save for a couple freshman who really need to redshirt. Hopefully next year to redshirt...

Next year is the year fans should be aiming for. A very experienced, talented and savvy backcourt with the same type of wings, and a frontcourt that should surpass this year's (Shem, Wiltjer, Sabonis, Nunez), though we will miss Dower, I admit. Next year could and should equal last year's Zags. Newcomers will undoubedtly help make next year better than this year as well.

But 21-3 in early February ain't too shabby; it bodes well for next year, ay?

Lastly, about the game of basketball in general. Far too many breaks and commercial breaks. The clock stops for everything. Too many time-outs. I mean, try watching commercial-free channels (usually movie channels) or DvDs, then try watching TV fare WITH all these breaks. It is borderline unbearable. Some basketball games have 40-50 free-throws! Each coach can call, what, five TO's? And media TO's every four minutes? Every four minutes?! How can any team sustain momentum with that? Clock stoppages for out of bounds, fouls, nose-picking, well, okay, but you get the drift. It just gets to be a drag after a while.

Feel free to chime in. I had more thoughts, but alas, my memory retention lets me down again. :(

CDC84
02-06-2014, 09:13 PM
How can any team sustain momentum with that? Clock stoppages for out of bounds, fouls, nose-picking, well, okay, but you get the drift. It just gets to be a drag after a while.

Big men from Poland who can't stop bleeding on the court.......

tyra
02-06-2014, 09:58 PM
What BobZag said.

2wiceright
02-06-2014, 09:58 PM
BobZag, all you need to do is DVR the first half hour to 45 minutes of the game. That way you fast forward the long timeouts, scraping hurt players off the floor, and the refs taking 10 minutes to look at the monitors, only to add 1.5 seconds to an almost new shot-clock. Then you have your games catching up with about 5 minutes left to see us come back from a blown lead! All this without any commercial interruptions!!!!!

Let me know hoe it works out tomorrow.... Go Zags!!!!

hooter73
02-06-2014, 10:22 PM
BZ... I love you man.

Edit to add:
Just looked over the scholarship chart again.
http://www.slipperstillfits.com/pages/updated-scholarship-chart
4 open in 2015. 3 if Sabonis works out. other three look like they'd be direct replacements for 3 Guards. Of course this is all without any transfers. Hmmmm

DixieZag
02-07-2014, 06:45 AM
BZ - - agree with most everything. And the one thing that strikes me as a little off is b/c of something you've noted before. "This team will go as far as Kevin will takes it. Well, Kevin's toe has relegated him to being just a normal best player on the team. He's looked good in games at times, but not compared to like the Arkansas, Dayton, WVU games.

For only that reason (one you pointed out), I would say that going against Memphis, we'll only win if Sam and Karno can really score reliably down low. Added to that is that the only away game I can think of that we really buried a team from outside is the WVU (and it was Kevin) in the second half. GBJ 3 in a row at SCU was nice, too.

Much as we wish it were different, it looks like this is the Kevin we have now. Still best player on team, but not one we can chalk up 18 pts to nearly every night.

Kiddwell
02-07-2014, 07:32 AM
BobZag, all you need to do is DVR the first half hour to 45 minutes of the game. That way you fast forward the long timeouts, scraping hurt players off the floor, and the refs taking 10 minutes to look at the monitors, only to add 1.5 seconds to an almost new shot-clock. Then you have your games catching up with about 5 minutes left to see us come back from a blown lead! All this without any commercial interruptions!!!!!

Let me know hoe it works out tomorrow.... Go Zags!!!!

+1

Kiddwell DVR's each game then bypasses the commercials too. Tip: DRV'ing is a great way to put miles on the old treadmill. Kiddwell walked five miles (uphill, at about 3.5 MPH) through the Zags win last Saturday then did the same during the DVR'd Super Bowl. Once the five miles are over, Kiddwell sits through any game remainder. Ten miles last weekend, and honestly the time on the treadmill flew by (not the norm for Exercise Time). :o

Regarding the team: Kiddwell's a bit nervous about those trips to Memphis and Provo. Home court advantage. Otherwise, we ought to beat everyone else on the schedule IF we play hard the entire game. If we go into cruise control (see: second half vs. UP), we are in BIG TROUBLE. We presently should have a big enough lead to win the conference championship again. We have to play like our shorts are on fire, however, every hot-darn minute of every hot-darn game.

As always, IMHO.

:]

CDC84
02-07-2014, 09:43 AM

Sometimes when I miss the game live I will even use the DVR is fast forward through free throws. If Kevin is at the line, I know what the end result will be (2/2). If Shem is on the line, I know what the end result will be (1/2). It's amazing how much time is taken up with foul shooting in a game. Everyone has to get up off the floor, the floor has to be wiped, players need to straighten out their uniforms, everyone has to line up, the foul shooter has go through his routine, after the first free throw substitutions are made......

And of course the thing that aggravates me more than anything in college basketball....when a player fouls out, how teams are allowed to gather around the bench and use the mandatory player substitution as a free timeout. As BZ says, there are already too many timeouts in college ball as it is. Why the freebie timeouts as well?

zagfan24
02-07-2014, 09:47 AM
The guards need to be the heart of this team.

I think Dower is a great player but I tend to agree. GU is 2nd in the nation in 3pt% and needs to take advantage of this fact. Our guards need to be more aggressive in looking to score for the Zags to go far in March.

BobZag
02-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Has anybody else noticed how many empty/mostly empty gyms and arenas there have been this season? From the preseason tourneys to the regular season, I have never seen so many gyms posing as echo chambers as this year. You can feel the interest level in cbb dropping all across the country. Perhaps it's football and its immense popularity, and people/fans can only spread themselves so thin. Or perhaps the college teams just aren't very good or are going down in quality every year. I don't know. But empty seats are ruling the day more and more. As someone alluded to here, there were about 800 students for the 1200 allotted student seats in K2 for the Portland game. The 400 untaken seats had to be sold to the public and there were still empty areas. And the passion seems to be waning.

Anyone else notice?

In football, are there touchdowns that are worth 50% more than other touchdowns? Is a 90 yard pass-and-catch TD worth more points than a one yard dive into the endzone? Is a homerun that goes 500 feet worth more runs than a homerun that bounces off the top of the wall and into the first row of seats? Okey-dokey then.

Pangos' toe is limiting this team, and it's nobody's fault, actually. It's a sports injury and you live with it. If Few had given Kevin a month or more to rest and heal, chances are very, very good GU would not be 3 games up on the league going into the four game road stretch. As it is, if the guys can take care of biz next weekend vs LMU and Pepp, all the team has to do is win 2 outta 4 to win the league. This year I'm not much concerned about NCAA seeding due to the fact Kevin's toe will limit how far they go, and losing so many top players from last year pretty much meant the team would be a bit down, similar to the year after Ammo left. Still 25+ wins, though, which isn't shabby by any means.

Next year is shaping up to be different, barring any turf toes. :)

More later.

Ekrub
02-07-2014, 11:21 AM
I blame the polar vortex and football. I think some people are a little down on the zags because of last year, plus a weak schedule has it tough to get excited for games. Disagree on how far we can go though. We have a good share of good three point shooters plus a pretty decent defensive club. We could flame out in the second round or go FF depending on how hot we are shooting.

gonzagafan62
02-07-2014, 11:25 AM
I blame the polar vortex and football. I think some people are a little down on the zags because of last year, plus a weak schedule has it tough to get excited for games. Disagree on how far we can go though. We have a good share of good three point shooters plus a pretty decent defensive club. We could flame out in the second round or go FF depending on how hot we are shooting.

Hey Ekrub! I think it mainly has to do with what you said: A weaker schedule. Playing in Maui and not tasting Baylor or Syracuse, and then our best other games are against Arkansas, Kansas state, West Virginia and Memphis. Of course the SMC and BYU games look less appetizing now. I get pumped up about everything, but I can see why most people wouldn't.

hooter73
02-07-2014, 12:21 PM
lack of fans is due to a couple of things, mostly TV. If you can sit on your couch and watch a 52 inch tv, drink a beer and never have to battle traffic or parking or getting off work early or home late? Easy answer.

I'll use local teams for these examples but the themes carry over.

The other thing is the times and days of the games. WSU is a great example of this (taking out the factor of they just plain stink as a team), but you have a two hour drive in bad weather (generally all of the season is in bad winter) to go watch a game. If that game stinks, you still have your two hour drive back home. On the couch you can just change the channel to a different game.

EWU is a different animal. Again, pretend they dont suck, you have dorms literally within throwing distance of the court and they have horrendous student attendance. And believe me, the school doesnt want that problem to even be brought up. I worked there for seven years, they know it and do not want to even think about it.

The coastal schools are a funny thing too. Good weather? why be inside, lets hit the beach. Bad weather? Why go anywhere when I can have my feet up in front of the fire, drink in hand and game on the big screen.

Unfortunately these are not exaggerated examples either. As we've seen with the decline of the Kennel Club, even fans that can appreciate seeing a live game just aren't as wowed by the experience and maybe even take it for granted. They want to claim affiliation and be a part of it but also are too cool to cheer, be loud, get ruckus... I swear, fun is now quietly playing video games instead of.... ah well thats enough for now. The times, they be a changin.

maynard g krebs
02-07-2014, 03:01 PM
I don't feel Shem, Dower, et al, are efficient enough to keep tossing the ball into. They don't warrant nor deserve nor have earned it, with exception to perhaps Dower. The core and spine of this team is the guard/wing-set of Stockton, Pangos, Bell, Dranginis, Barham, Coleman... I'd rather see them driving and/or shooting than see Karno attempting 3-foot hooks, truth be told.

2012-13
KO .629 fg% 17.8 ppg on 10.7 fg atts 1.66 points per shot
EH .501 fg% 14.6 ppg on 9.9 fg atts. 1.47 pps

2013-14
SD .598 fg% 14.6 ppg on 9.3 fg atts 1.57 pps
PK .566 fg% 9.8 ppg on 6.3 fg atts 1.55 pps

In addition, Dower and PK combined for almost 9 fg atts per game last year, for a total of 29-30 fg atts by the 4 bigs per game in 2012-13. This yr SD and Pk combine for just over half of that, with Nunez, Edwards, Meikle combining for another 2 fg atts per gm (45 total between the 3).

So to summarize: SD and PK combine for nearly the same scoring efficiency rate as KO and EH did last year, with a little better combined fg % but are about a combined 13% worse on ft's due to PK. Still within a couple hundredths of a pps overall if adjusted for PK's fts; miniscule difference. And the perimeter game is still far more the focus of the offense; post players are averaging about 17 shots per game v close to 30 last yr.

I suppose you could never pass the ball into the post, but that would make things a lot easier for opposing defenses imo.

exclusivelee
02-07-2014, 03:41 PM
2012-13

2013-14

One thing you do not factor in is how many airballs Shem shoots, most of which are from hook shots

maynard g krebs
02-07-2014, 03:49 PM
One thing you do not factor in is how many airballs Shem shoots, most of which are from hook shots

And how does that factor in to the data I provided? I don't understand the purpose of your post. A missed shot is a missed shot, period. And I doubt he's airballed more than a couple, something that I'd guess happens only when he gets hammered and it isn't called.

BobZag
02-07-2014, 04:17 PM
By empty gyms, I mainly meant on TV. Other venues. It's nationwide. From UCLA and Pac-12 to the East Coast. Just kinda blah-feeling/sounding/looking.

There definitely must be passes into the post, but too often it becomes an obsession and sole purpose, and everybody, including other teams, can see it a mile away. KO was the #1 efficient player in the all of NCAA basketball last year. PK is far from that.

Other musings...

It is looking like Brian Michaelson is fitting in nicely and doing a fine job as a bonafide coach this year. Looking like a good hire by Few. He and Tommy relate to the younger players and recruits as good as any coach anywhere. Kudos to Brian.

While I think this team can win the WCC, then win Vegas and can win a game in the NCAAs, it's next year that has me pumped. The sheer quality of depth next year will allow the guys to play like last year: go hard till you can't, sub out, rest, check in, repeat.

PG: Pangos/Bell/Perkins/Triano
SG: Bell/Pangos/Dranginis/Melson/Triano
SF: Dranginis/Coleman/Wiltjer/Nunez/Alberts
PF: Wiltjer/Nunez/Sabonis/*Meikle
C: Shem/Wiltjer/Sabonis/*Edwards

The depth is ridiculous. *I'd personally like to see Edwards and Meikle redshirt, I think both can have nice careers at Gonzaga but both need work and to wait their turns which will happen as those ahead of them graduate. Also, have you ever watched Dustin Triano? That kid is good, he shoots it, dishes it, just moves in a way that has you thinking, "Yeah, he doesn't look like a walkon, he looks darn good." Thus, I included him in my depth chart.

Next year the Zags are back on the map. Meanwhile, it's kinda refreshing to fly under the radar for a year. Gives us a chance to relax a bit.

Vanzagger
02-07-2014, 05:21 PM
I don't think Sam waited 5 years to fly under the radar. Same goes for Drew and Coleman transferring here. Now is the time. No excuses.

maynard g krebs
02-07-2014, 07:01 PM
There definitely must be passes into the post, but too often it becomes an obsession and sole purpose, and everybody, including other teams, can see it a mile away. KO was the #1 efficient player in the all of NCAA basketball last year. PK is far from that.

Last year the 4 bigs took 985 of 1934 fg atts, 51%. This year, for the 5 bigs mentioned, it is 401 of 1329, which is 30%. Numbers don't support the idea that it's an obsession or sole purpose this year. Karno takes fewer fg atts per min than all the rotation regulars except Stockton and Dranginis.

Back when the Zags were force feeding Axel Dench in the post, I often wondered why. Here's a theory. Mid majors, i.e small schools in small conferences, can often wind up with great guards, simply because there are so many guys that size that can play, some develop late, and some get missed by scouts. There are very few people 6'8-7'+, and the big schools miss very few of them. And quality big people are the difference between power schools and most good mid major teams.

So to recruit high major front court talent, you have to show them you are committed to getting the ball inside and helping them develop and showcase their offensive game. GU does an incredible job of this, and has had a high major front court for years at least partly as a result. An example of the opposite would be UW, which is completely guard centric despite their school size and conference, and is reduced to taking Perris Blackwell as a 2 scholly yrs for one played transfer, and Gilles Deiryx (sp?) from Florida International or some place like that, unless they get locals like Hawes/Brockman who want to stay home. It's impossible to recruit quality bigs if you just want to get your bigs to defend, rebound, and clean up the garbage.

VinnyZag
02-07-2014, 07:09 PM
In the closing moments against Portland, I thought the mistake was not going to Dower enough. I view him as the team's most effective scorer in the halfcourt (at least as long as Pangos is limited). Force away!

DixieZag
02-07-2014, 10:38 PM
As to BZ - - I think there's a hangover locally. Inexplicably, I was listening to Patchen yesterday and he said that fans this year have less interest in the Zags than since before the big runs. I think he's overstating it but, I think your instincts are right. I suspect there's a hangover from last year. The whole town went nuts on the No. 1 rank and seed. I think the bandwagon fans aren't willing to put their heart out like that right now.

I'm as excited about next year as anyone but thinking about it bugs me (when I do it) b/c THIS is the year we have, right now. I recall all those summer months when we'd kill to just talk about a game. The first exhibitions we talk like final four match-ups. This is mid-season, and, I have a suspicion that a "deep run" (provided we ever have one, and we will) might well come from a team of underdogs - especially ones that can get very hot from three.

Having said all that, it's tough. Maynard is really good at pointing out stats that make me re-think everything, and I always do re-think it. It's why I devour his posts. But, there's also the eye test and sometimes I do see that "force it inside" mind set, but - whatever, sometimes it works much better than I thought. We have to remember that we are one year out from losing 3 all time Zag legends - KO All-American, Harris - 4 year starter and all time Zag, Hart (approp named) defensive POY and maybe the epitome of "Zag" - - it would be a crap act for any group to follow and sometimes the eye test isn't fair - that's why the stats are so powerful to me.

And I had had chile for dinner, it snowed a little today and my daughter said something funny she said. . . .

2wiceright
02-07-2014, 11:35 PM
2012-13

2013-14

In addition, Dower and PK combined for almost 9 fg atts per game last year, for a total of 29-30 fg atts by the 4 bigs per game in 2012-13. This yr SD and Pk combine for just over half of that, with Nunez, Edwards, Meikle combining for another 2 fg atts per gm (45 total between the 3).

So to summarize: SD and PK combine for nearly the same scoring efficiency rate as KO and EH did last year, with a little better combined fg % but are about a combined 13% worse on ft's due to PK. Still within a couple hundredths of a pps overall if adjusted for PK's fts; miniscule difference. And the perimeter game is still far more the focus of the offense; post players are averaging about 17 shots per game v close to 30 last yr.

I suppose you could never pass the ball into the post, but that would make things a lot easier for opposing defenses imo.

Thanks for the comparison Maynard....I never would have guessed w/o seeing the data in front of me! When you think about it, even with the injuries and flu bugs this team has done really well to this point in the WCC (not just noting the obvious). Even last year with Kelly, Elias, Hart, Kevin (healthy) and Gary (not so much) we almost blew our chance to win the league outright against Billys Team (USD). If I remember correctly they had the last shot to win the game and we really lucked out. We also could have choked up the Saint Marys game at our place. But like last year, the guys seem to find someone to step up when we seem 'out of gas' and the team finds a way to will themselves to victory against teams we used to drop one every year to (i.e. teams like USF).

So, unlike most years we'll (knock on wood) mostly be counting the W's while noting the previous 'so called' bottom feeders really have somewhat decent rpi's as compared to prior years (look at Pepperdine!). My point here is a lot of us are trying to diagnose what is wrong with this team while I'm proposing nothing much other than our star point guard playing hurt(and there's absolutely nothing that will change that until next season). So let's enjoy and maintain our growing dominance of this years team in the WCC and hopefully we can steal a Sweet 16 THIS year. Cause no one will mistake us for last years team - and that's a good way to get there :) !!

Hoopaholic
02-08-2014, 06:36 AM
I am as stoked as I have ever been...starting today and for the rest of the season...having even given next year a thought as I think this team can do some serious damage

bballbeachbum
02-08-2014, 07:51 AM
Huge opportunity today. Zags create well for each other. Do it today in top form with finishers ready and focused to finish plays and anything's possible. Create open shots together and then make them. Zags due for a hot shooting game in a big one. turnovers always a key stat, can't let Memphis get out and dunk on turnovers

Go Zags

amaronizag
02-08-2014, 08:13 AM
Good stuff Maynard!! The numbers don't lie. I was surprised so see that the offensive efficiency of our big's rivaled last year. The only question I would pose is that maybe those numbers do not give us a totally accurate picture because we go with DB at the 4 many times. Maybe his offense should also be added to the scoring of the big's when he plays the 4. We can't not count him because he's a stretch 4, we should count him as a 4 when he plays as a 4. That would be too complicated to figure out because he also plays the 3, just thinking maybe our production at the 4 and 5 spots isn't quite as far behind last year.

maynard g krebs
02-08-2014, 06:05 PM
Good stuff Maynard!! The numbers don't lie. I was surprised so see that the offensive efficiency of our big's rivaled last year. The only question I would pose is that maybe those numbers do not give us a totally accurate picture because we go with DB at the 4 many times. Maybe his offense should also be added to the scoring of the big's when he plays the 4. We can't not count him because he's a stretch 4, we should count him as a 4 when he plays as a 4. That would be too complicated to figure out because he also plays the 3, just thinking maybe our production at the 4 and 5 spots isn't quite as far behind last year.

With Barham, and even Nunez to an extent, at the 4, it's 4 out v having 2 bigs. Barham plays like a 3 whenever he's in the game imo, so I think it's kind of moot. I was initially replying to the idea that this team is going inside too much; even when Barham is at the 4 they're not going inside to him.

As an aside, it's true according to statsheet.com that Karno's offensive efficiency rating isn't very good; must be the ft's, to's also to an extent. Still, his post offense is such a key to next yr, and maybe beyond that there's future value in developing it now.

GUZag08
02-08-2014, 07:35 PM
If the guards are the heart of the team we don't have much time left on earth

WallaWallaZag
02-09-2014, 06:17 AM

not against teams like memphis or k-state with bcs athletes playing tight defense at the guard spots anyways...our heart beats fine at home against the wcc. might need a defibrillator on the road in the last 4 though...

jazzdelmar
02-09-2014, 06:28 AM

Hilarious

Reborn
02-09-2014, 06:33 AM
With Barham, and even Nunez to an extent, at the 4, it's 4 out v having 2 bigs. Barham plays like a 3 whenever he's in the game imo, so I think it's kind of moot. I was initially replying to the idea that this team is going inside too much; even when Barham is at the 4 they're not going inside to him.

As an aside, it's true according to statsheet.com that Karno's offensive efficiency rating isn't very good; must be the ft's, to's also to an extent. Still, his post offense is such a key to next yr, and maybe beyond that there's future value in developing it now.

I was really impressed with out post players last night. They went up against a well-known physical, tough front line and more then held their own. I think against these elite teams (top 25) Barham is unable to contribute much. He is really a poor rebounder, and it showed big time last night. Also, he is just a shooter, and when the opponents team has designed a defense to stop the outside shooting then Barham is ineffective. Nunez, unfortunately, appears unable to perform on the bigger stages. In the end, it is appearing that the Zags have been hurt because Few was unable to recruit back up post players, both the 3 and the 4. Dower played 37 minutes last night, and he has not been playing even close to those kind of minutes. Karnowsky played 33, which is way above his average as well. So I must wonder if fatigue had something to do with the loss last night? When you get outscored 17-2 in the last 5 minutes, one must wonder if fatigue had something to do with it.

Go Zags!!!

ZagaZags
02-09-2014, 01:38 PM
Rainer Beach blows out Franklin 92-40 a few days ago. I can't find a box score for the game. If anyone can dig up a box score for this game, please post it.
Yesterday Dejounte Murray did tweet "Get this win Gonzaga!"

I think we have a Gonzaga fan playing for #2 Rainer Beach. :)

northsidezagfan
02-09-2014, 02:58 PM
Rainer Beach blows out Franklin 92-40 a few days ago. I can't find a box score for the game. If anyone can dig up a box score for this game, please post it.
Yesterday Dejounte Murray did tweet "Get this win Gonzaga!"

I think we have a Gonzaga fan playing for #2 Rainer Beach. :)

Not a full box score but here is the scoring breakdown. Murray had 9.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/sports/highschool/basketball/boys/index.html?site=default&tpl=Boxscore&ID=61883&season=current

Scoring 15.3 a game, 3rd on his loaded Rainier Beach team.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/sports/highschool/basketball/boys/index.html?site=default&tpl=Leaders&SearchType=Leaders&Sport=6&ConferenceID=13&season=current

ZagaZags
02-09-2014, 06:08 PM
Not a full box score but here is the scoring breakdown. Murray had 9.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/sports/highschool/basketball/boys/index.html?site=default&tpl=Boxscore&ID=61883&season=current

Scoring 15.3 a game, 3rd on his loaded Rainier Beach team.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/sports/highschool/basketball/boys/index.html?site=default&tpl=Leaders&SearchType=Leaders&Sport=6&ConferenceID=13&season=current

Thanks.

willandi
02-09-2014, 06:52 PM
Where does Sabonis fit into that 2015 lineup?

ZagaZags
02-09-2014, 07:13 PM
Where does Sabonis fit into that 2015 lineup?

Domantas Sabonis is 2014, he will take the last scholarship for 2014. GU will have 3 scholarships available for 2015.

cggonzaga
02-09-2014, 07:33 PM
My guess is Wiltjer and/or Karno is gone at that point and Sabonis would be starting. Hope you're right Zaga and hopefully we've got Small and an athletic big to go with Murray!

ZagaZags
02-09-2014, 09:06 PM
My guess is Wiltjer and/or Karno is gone at that point and Sabonis would be starting. Hope you're right Zaga and hopefully we've got Small and an athletic big to go with Murray!

Small is a Zag fan too. :)
Wiltjer will more than likely be on the team in 2015.
Karnowski could very well be gone in 2015.

cggonzaga
02-09-2014, 10:20 PM
I hope you're right about Wiltjer and I don't. I believe he is more talented than Kelly and believe he'll be an all American next season. If he stays for a senior season then great. If he stayed cause next season wasnt great then I'd be somewhat disappointed.

23zagmd
02-10-2014, 07:34 AM
I was at the Beach/Franklin game the other night. Hard to tell what was more entertaining, watching the Rainier Beach Dunk-a-Thon or listening to the fans in the stands. No one is off limits at a game like that, WOW!

First, I will say that the stat sheet means nothing at these games. If they really played hard, pressed, trapped and defended every possession most of their games would be 70+ point blowouts. They beat Franklin by 50, and they were being kind in doing it.

As for Murray, several things really stick out with this kid:

His shooting mechanics are Very good. There is not a shot he takes that doesn't look like it is going in. Release, Rotation, and follow thru are superb. His biggest issue is just his strength. He is about 150 pounds soaking wet. He looks like a greyhound on the court, moves very gracefully but there is not that explosiveness to his game.

Court vision really sticks out and he is always looking to get other players easy shots and his ballhandling is very good. He does not turn the ball over.

He is a very good defender both on and off the ball. Active hands that are always in the passing lanes and getting deflections.

Rebounding, see strength from above.

He sort of reminds me of a shorter Austin Daye. No idea how tall he is supposed to be but overall if they could pry this kid out of Seattle and get him in a Zag uniform, he would be a great get. He is the kind of wing defender and player that we need to get us to another level of the NCAA tournament.

WBM
02-10-2014, 08:31 AM
What's with this kid's twitter handle? Gods_gift2015

jpwils
02-10-2014, 09:30 AM
As to BZ - - I think there's a hangover locally. Inexplicably, I was listening to Patchen yesterday and he said that fans this year have less interest in the Zags than since before the big runs. I think he's overstating it but, I think your instincts are right. I suspect there's a hangover from last year. The whole town went nuts on the No. 1 rank and seed. I think the bandwagon fans aren't willing to put their heart out like that right now.

I'm as excited about next year as anyone but thinking about it bugs me (when I do it) b/c THIS is the year we have, right now. I recall all those summer months when we'd kill to just talk about a game. The first exhibitions we talk like final four match-ups. This is mid-season, and, I have a suspicion that a "deep run" (provided we ever have one, and we will) might well come from a team of underdogs - especially ones that can get very hot from three.

Having said all that, it's tough. Maynard is really good at pointing out stats that make me re-think everything, and I always do re-think it. It's why I devour his posts. But, there's also the eye test and sometimes I do see that "force it inside" mind set, but - whatever, sometimes it works much better than I thought. We have to remember that we are one year out from losing 3 all time Zag legends - KO All-American, Harris - 4 year starter and all time Zag, Hart (approp named) defensive POY and maybe the epitome of "Zag" - - it would be a crap act for any group to follow and sometimes the eye test isn't fair - that's why the stats are so powerful to me.

And I had had chile for dinner, it snowed a little today and my daughter said something funny she said. . . .

I think we are a very different team on the road and especially against PHYSICAL teams on the road.

Playing Pangos at shooting guard may b ok at home against smaller teams, but combining him with Stox is lame on the road while he is injured.

Gotta rely more on Coleman and Dranginis and allow them minutes to knock down shots...think of it this way....

Stox played all those minutes against Memphis and came up with 2 points scored...Bell- how many?

Pangos- how many? We claim Dower's the go- to guy down low...so- how bout taller guys throwing in the entry pass( Dranginis is 6-5...Coleman is 6-4) ?????

Karno is getting easy looks by having Dower throw the entry pass...what about Drew Barham... he's 6-9 and a great 3 point shooter....think he could toss an entry pass over a defense at 6-9??/

Stockton had a great first half against BYU...but gotta go with the hot hand EVERY different flippin' game!!!!!!( Mark Few) Are we saying Stox is the only guy who can throw an entry pass?????

If either Stockton, Bell, or Pangos is not on...why keep re-injuring KP's toe when Dranginis, Coleman, Nunez, Barham can all play( and in some situations- play better due to no injury or taller, or more athletic, or just plain more hustle????????????

Try Bell or Dranginis at point or let Barham walk the ball up... WE CAN'T KEEP PLAYING 4 ON 5 and expect to beat good teams !!!!!

23zagmd
02-10-2014, 09:38 AM
He's 16!

ZagaZags
02-10-2014, 09:56 AM

This would be a great gift for Zag fans. Murray is a Dorian Pickens type player except Murray is much better.

jpwils
02-10-2014, 12:44 PM
I think we are a very different team on the road and especially against PHYSICAL teams on the road.

Playing Pangos at shooting guard may b ok at home against smaller teams, but combining him with Stox is lame on the road while he is injured.

Gotta rely more on Coleman and Dranginis and allow them minutes to knock down shots...think of it this way....

Stox played all those minutes against Memphis and came up with 2 points scored...Bell- how many?

Pangos- how many? We claim Dower's the go- to guy down low...so- how bout taller guys throwing in the entry pass( Dranginis is 6-5...Coleman is 6-4) ?????

Karno is getting easy looks by having Dower throw the entry pass...what about Drew Barham... he's 6-9 and a great 3 point shooter....think he could toss an entry pass over a defense at 6-9??/

Stockton had a great first half against BYU...but gotta go with the hot hand EVERY different flippin' game!!!!!!( Mark Few) Are we saying Stox is the only guy who can throw an entry pass?????

If either Stockton, Bell, or Pangos is not on...why keep re-injuring KP's toe when Dranginis, Coleman, Nunez, Barham can all play( and in some situations- play better due to no injury or taller, or more athletic, or just plain more hustle????????????

Try Bell or Dranginis at point or let Barham walk the ball up... WE CAN'T KEEP PLAYING 4 ON 5 and expect to beat good teams !!!!!

Loving the recruits we are bringing in like Perkins, Melson. Alberts, and especially Wiltjer!
Also like what we are hearing on Sabonis Also like guys we are hearing about now for following years.

Athletic transfers remind me of guys like Knight and Edi. Not that they were bad- just not as strong as guys like Morrison and Pendo.

basketballzag
02-12-2014, 02:12 AM
This would be a great gift for Zag fans. Murray is a Dorian Pickens type player except Murray is much better.

Color me crazy but I strongly suspect Murray is the #1 recruit in 2015 for the Zags and he fits into and would make Gonzaga's 3 guard lineup the best backcourt in the country. Silas who is clearly the most underrated SG in the country (he is a true high 4 star/low 5 star recruit who has been completely overlooked by the recruiting sites but NOT overlooked by professional scouts looking at the 2014 class) and Murray along with Perkins and Sabonis would be the strongest collegiate lineup in northwest in at least 10 years. My prediction is that Murray picks the Zags over UW. He fits the Zags system better to develop his skills to the next level.

BobZag
02-12-2014, 09:58 AM
Small
Murray
Athletic Big

Ideal 2015 class, imo.

ZagaZags
02-12-2014, 07:57 PM
Small
Murray
Athletic Big

Ideal 2015 class, imo.

The athletic big is here.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQwxEYpkPvc

Odds are low he joins the Zags. If we landed Chance Comache our heads would explode. :explode:

cggonzaga
02-12-2014, 08:52 PM
As great as this would be guys like Comanche don't end up at places like Gonzaga.

thespywhozaggedme
02-13-2014, 11:14 AM
I can show you this exact quote from several posters, possibly even you, about Josh Perkins. How quickly we forget.

As great as this would be guys like Comanche don't end up at places like Gonzaga.

ZagaZags
02-13-2014, 12:43 PM
I can show you this exact quote from several posters, possibly even you, about Josh Perkins. How quickly we forget.

I wasn't one of them.

cggonzaga
02-13-2014, 04:11 PM
I can appreciate that Spy. I think the athletic big is a whole different beast. We've recruited and developed high ranked guards. I can't remember a time we recruited a high ranked big from the United States and got a commitment. Would love for the staff to prove me wrong.

ZagaZags
02-14-2014, 01:35 AM
I can appreciate that Spy. I think the athletic big is a whole different beast. We've recruited and developed high ranked guards. I can't remember a time we recruited a high ranked big from the United States and got a commitment. Would love for the staff to prove me wrong.

2016 MJ Cage would be an awesome get. Not looking good at this point, recruiting has been VERY weak at this time. DD is running point for MJ Cage. The fact he is 2016 might have something to do with it but they do need to step up on this one. ( Trust me )

ZagaZags
02-14-2014, 01:44 AM
Kentucky is going to check out Dejounte Murray.

ZagaZags
02-14-2014, 10:22 PM
With Kentucky showing interest in Murray, I would hope Gonzaga offers 6-5 SG Justin Simon from Temecula, Ca.

ZagaZags
02-14-2014, 10:26 PM
With Kentucky showing interest in Murray, I hope Gonzaga offers 6-5 SG Justin Simon from Temecula, Ca.

ZagaZags
02-16-2014, 10:41 PM
Kendall Small and Rex Pflueger were in attendance for the SDSU vs Air Force yesterday.

GrizZAG
02-17-2014, 03:33 AM
A few years ago I wasn't really worried about Oregon because I felt we were on another level. But now along with their dazzling facilities and flashy 101 different combinations of uniform, they are actually a respectable program that is on the rise. It's tough to compete with that, like a kid in the willy wonka factory it messes with your mind. But I have always said new wears off.

Gonzaga is a special place, its consistent, our fan base is out of control.
Gonzaga is Spokane. We bleed Gonzaga blue. Our true colors really shine when we travel, for instance Vegas. It blows my mind how many people make the trek to see the ZAGS play. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that. You can't put a price tag or buy that, its earned through time and we are there, Oregon still has a way to go.

Let this recruiting battle begin. Going after Small and im sure Silas Melson is next. Not much we can do about it, hopefully the staff can put in the work.

Eugene is a Football town. BB is second fiddle and likely will always be. In Spokane a Zag is a Rock Star while in Eugene you are well, not a household name usually if you are a basketball player I would guess. Zag players are near royalty here and the cohesiveness and friendships eclipse most programs.

VaBeachZAG
02-17-2014, 05:24 AM
Eugene is a Football town. BB is second fiddle and likely will always be. In Spokane a Zag is a Rock Star while in Eugene you are well, not a household name usually if you are a basketball player I would guess. Zag players are near royalty here and the cohesiveness and friendships eclipse most programs.

This sounds good and seems like a compelling argument. The problem is it can apparently have little sway on some recruits. As far as I can tell, GU went hard after Moser but he chose the "Football town" over GU crazy Spokane. Oregon also has some other pretty good players as well, despite Oregon's football school reputation.

JPtheBeasta
02-17-2014, 07:18 AM
Apparently PremierBall doesn't know the difference between perspective and prospective.

You need to look at this from a different prospective.

Zagdawg
02-17-2014, 08:11 AM
All those great recruits......are they even going to make the dance. It doesn't look that way.

Plus they recently garnered a good amount of negative press from the shoe sales violation issues that showed up.

GorgeZag
02-17-2014, 11:09 AM
All those great recruits......are they even going to make the dance. It doesn't look that way.

Plus they recently garnered a good amount of negative press from the shoe sales violation issues that showed up.

If they were in the WCC, they would be battling or right behind us. Shrooms or selling shoes? Lets not forget we have has some problems in the past too. Altman is a hell of a coach and once he starts recruiting freshman instead of transfers, he may build something down there.

All that said the team that worries me the most is SDSU. Great team, IN talent rich California, that's going to be competing with us not only for recruits but eventually for the precious espn night time game slots.

CDC84
02-17-2014, 05:35 PM
As much as I would love to get Kendall Small, he's a point guard, and Josh Perkins is a point guard. They are only one class apart. It's something that might work against Gonzaga. If they were two or three classes apart, the situation would be more ideal. Gonzaga may have to settle for a less coveted PG if it wants to get a 2015 floor general, or wait until 2016 to land a top 75 kind of guy.

Zagdawg
02-17-2014, 06:49 PM
Bryan Alberts is also listed as a point guard/shooting guard--he enjoys the point--but he is a bit taller than we are used to at 6'5".

http://www.premierball.com/questions-answers-w2014-bryan-alberts/

webspinnre
02-17-2014, 06:58 PM
Bryan Alberts is also listed as a point guard/shooting guard--he enjoys the point--but he is a bit taller than we are used to at 6'5".

Pretty sure he'll fill Few's combo guard role - the 2 guard who can handle the ball. Other examples would include guys like Bell, Steven Gray, and Matt Bouldin.

ZagaZags
02-17-2014, 06:58 PM

Alberts can play the 1,2 or 3 for GU. He will be the new Swiss Army knife for Gonzaga with his versatility.

hooter73
02-17-2014, 07:08 PM
Alberts is Draginis 2.0 as far as I can tell.

Dont know what the sell is for why Kendall should still be looking at GU but I hope the staff can figure one out. Best thing I can say is that "back up" point guards generally log pretty good minutes here no matter who they're playing behind. Examples of Meech under Pargo, Stockton under... well everyone. And really, the culture here is the other half of basketball at GU. The community, the player development, the education... the off court opportunities here offer so much more than most other schools. Thats hard to keep in mind as a young star Im sure.

I hope Kendall goes where he really wants to be, whether thats here or somewhere else.

ZagaZags
02-17-2014, 07:22 PM
As much as I would love to get Kendall Small, he's a point guard, and Josh Perkins is a point guard. They are only one class apart. It's something that might work against Gonzaga. If they were two or three classes apart, the situation would be more ideal. Gonzaga may have to settle for a less coveted PG if it wants to get a 2015 floor general, or wait until 2016 to land a top 75 kind of guy.

In 2015 GU will only have 4 guards, Perkins, Melson, Alberts and Dranginis. I would hope they pick up another guard for 2015.

Zagdawg
02-17-2014, 07:28 PM
I like what we have seen with Connor Griffin also--he may not be on scholly--but by 2015 I think he will be contributing.

We have Jesse Wade --but with the mission --he won't be here until 2017.

One more point/combo would be great to have.

VaBeachZAG
02-17-2014, 07:57 PM
In 2015 GU will only have 4 guards, Perkins, Melson, Alberts and Dranginis. I would hope they pick up another guard for 2015.

At the time Perkins verbal-ed, there was speculation by some that he might be heading for the next level sooner than later. I have absolutely no idea if that would realistically be a possibility. But if it is, it would sure be great to have someone like Small in a GU uni. for the 15 season and beyond. The staff planned on Olynik being around for the 13/14 season and when that didn't happen, we ended up a little thin in the front court (although I will say things have turned out better with our bigs than I had expected). I think one factor (among many) the staff will be considering in any possible recruitment of Small is their guess on how long Perkins will be with the Zags. It seems to me the priority at the moment has to be a high quality big. Once the staff's focus turns away from recruitment of bigs, Small may be long gone to some other lucky program.

RRZagFan
02-18-2014, 07:54 AM
New article on Small

http://f150.ws/1c0TTPL

jazzdelmar
02-18-2014, 08:07 AM
A backcourt of Perk, Melson and Small would be terrific. But if Small blows up more the east BCS teams will come and Zona will offer. Window is halfway shut for Zags.

Zagdawg
02-18-2014, 08:10 AM
Thank you for posting-- we are in his top 5 and he has an offer from us.

Looking for playing time and the right fit.

I like the 1-2 point guard punch that we are playing right now-- and it would be a good example to him that two points can thrive in the Zag system.

Would love for Small to be a Zag.

cjm720
02-18-2014, 08:14 AM
Small was ours to lose, but signing 3 guards to the class before him likely sealed our fate. Hope I'm wrong, because the guy is a flat out gamer and GU has been stated as his dream school - of course that was before he really took off. We definitely need two guards between the 2015 and 2016 class, so why not :)

Zagdawg
02-18-2014, 08:31 AM
He's exploring his options -- we might have been his top option 2 years ago-- but things change in his life (i.e. other programs come into the picture).

We are still in his top 5 -- which is a positive (but his top 5 is getting more and more loaded with good programs).

Would love to see him as a Zag as he would do well in our system.

ZAGGED OUT
02-18-2014, 09:06 AM
Fwiw, SDSU doesn't have much on their board about him and one poster still thinks we're in the lead for him. I think the staff still has a pretty good angle on him. As previously state here, using stocks as an example will show there are minutes available for floor generals. Also love how many steals he gets on a nightly basis, would be a good change up to have spell Perkins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobZag
02-18-2014, 09:19 AM
Sounds like he may not have mastered a solid, high percentage 3-point shot yet. Without that threat, he might be another Meech or Pmac. Staff must do due diligence.

ZagaZags
02-23-2014, 10:13 PM
It appears GU has offered Makel Mawien a 6-9 PF from Utah. I don't have much on him.

https://twitter.com/UtahProspects/status/437697146985259008
http://verbalcommits.com/players/makol-mawien
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqPiCT6s-vM

exclusivelee
02-24-2014, 12:45 AM
Jerry Meyer @jerrymeyer247

http://t.co/qjkaXSGHfD RT @kylekrbl: @jerrymeyer247 why the sudden change from SDSU to Oregon for Kendall Small?

https://twitter.com/jerrymeyer247/status/436572009708138496

Jerry Meyer @jerrymeyer247

#247Sports profile for 2015 pg Kendall Small (#62/#59). Big visit coming up. http://t.co/CazbThC7nz

https://twitter.com/jerrymeyer247/status/436572630083440640

Matt Prehm @Prehmmr247

Oregon will host a very important basketball recruit for the 2015 class on Sunday I am told http://t.co/8T6ZtKO14g (VIP) @jerrymeyer247

https://twitter.com/Prehmmr247/status/436565270207807488

hooter73
02-24-2014, 08:12 AM
6'9 215 wide shoulders, long arms (good frame for his age), attacks the rim pretty well although not what you'd call explosive, face up shots look nice... probably a real solid talent.

gonzagafan62
02-24-2014, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the post. Hopefully we land him.

hooter73
02-24-2014, 02:00 PM
maybe. we will need a 2015 big, but it is still early to be pinpointing.

former1dog
02-24-2014, 02:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqPiCT6s-vM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqPiCT6s-vM)

To me, he looks like a clone of Sam Dower, which I mean in a very positive way.

This highlight video seems a lot more useful than most as it actually shows the guy doing more than dunks or shooting open outside jumpers.

ZagaZags
02-24-2014, 02:20 PM
To me, he looks like a clone of Sam Dower, which I mean in a very positive way.

This highlight video seems a lot more useful than most as it actually shows the guy doing more than dunks or shooting open outside jumpers.

I would love another Sam Dower.

former1dog
02-24-2014, 02:49 PM

Yeah, me too.

Corky
02-24-2014, 02:51 PM

I'd like two.

exclusivelee
02-24-2014, 03:38 PM
http://distilleryimage6.ak.instagram.com/3226f8523da411e28e5722000a9f195f_7.jpg

Tres Tinkle @tatinkle3
15 months ago
Good weekend! @kpangos @dbarham43 @rem15bakamus @ell_tink
http://instagram.com/p/Syx6tACEUS/

http://distilleryimage7.ak.instagram.com/3d85563ee35e11e2b93122000aaa04c4_7.jpg

Tres Tinkle @tatinkle3
8 months ago (In Spokane)
Kelly Olynyk kept asking us to take a picture with him.. It got really annoying so we finally said yes #jokes
http://instagram.com/p/bR1VTYCEeX/

http://distilleryimage8.ak.instagram.com/62c147d83da411e2bbe622000a9f1270_7.jpg

Tres Tinkle @tatinkle3
15 months ago (In Spokane)
Awesome family!
http://instagram.com/p/SyyEqEiEUc/

(Notice the "StanZaga" & "GonzFord" shirts)

exclusivelee
02-24-2014, 03:43 PM
http://distilleryimage5.ak.instagram.com/f6ca93e02e0c11e3a60622000a9e08c5_8.jpg

Elle Tinkle @ell_tink
5 months ago
Supporting our Griz... Only thing missing is our @jtinkle
http://instagram.com/p/fGjZCsvS1F/

(Notice Drew Barham)

Elle Tinkle @elltink31
11:06 PM - 22 Nov 2013
Really wish @dbarham43 and @KPangos would get a life and quit snap-bombing Tres and I... #30snapchatsandcounting
https://twitter.com/elltink31/status/404143811556687872

Elle Tinkle @elltink31
9:42 PM - 7 Apr 2013
Had the BEST weekend at home! Nothing better than quality time with my amazing family and getting to have @dbarham43 there too! #foe #406>>>
https://twitter.com/elltink31/status/321120729645068288

vandalzag
02-24-2014, 03:45 PM
http://distilleryimage5.ak.instagram.com/f6ca93e02e0c11e3a60622000a9e08c5_8.jpg

Elle Tinkle @ell_tink
5 months ago
Supporting our Griz... Only thing missing is our @jtinkle
http://instagram.com/p/fGjZCsvS1F/

(Notice Drew Barham)

Elle Tinkle @elltink31
11:06 PM - 22 Nov 2013
Really wish @dbarham43 and @KPangos would get a life and quit snap-bombing Tres and I... #30snapchatsandcounting
https://twitter.com/elltink31/status/404143811556687872

Elle Tinkle @elltink31
9:42 PM - 7 Apr 2013
Had the BEST weekend at home! Nothing better than quality time with my amazing family and getting to have @dbarham43 there too! #foe #406>>>
https://twitter.com/elltink31/status/321120729645068288

Good looking picture, Tres got big in a hurry.

exclusivelee
02-24-2014, 03:49 PM
http://distilleryimage7.ak.instagram.com/6258985ae89511e1b9a5123138140995_7.jpg

Tres Tinkle @tatinkle3
19 months ago
Giants
http://instagram.com/p/OcD_c-iEVX/

exclusivelee
02-24-2014, 03:58 PM
Last one for now:

http://distilleryimage7.ak.instagram.com/d4354fda940811e2982122000a1f8c32_7.jpg

Tres Tinkle @tatinkle3
11 months ago
Miss my bro Rem! Tell @ell_tink we need a reunion again! @rem15bakamus
http://instagram.com/p/XN33PCiEV3/

Rem Bakamus @remfifteen
Dude my mustache looks nice in this! But miss you too you gotta come back one of these weekends cough cough @ell_tink
Tres Tinkle @tatinkle3
She doesn't even needa know! Ill sneak over one time @rem15bakamus
Rem Bakamus @remfifteen
For sure. You would probably have more fun anyway
Rem Bakamus @remfifteen
Jk Elleson
Elle Tinkle @ell_tink
Watch it @rem15bakamus

exclusivelee
02-24-2014, 06:25 PM
and the most recent one:

http://distilleryimage6.ak.instagram.com/d96ad00070c211e38c7612f15deb871e_8.jpg

Tres Tinkle @tatinkle3
2 months ago
Happy birthday to my big bro @dbarham43 ! I love you man! Can't wait to see you! Have fun! P.s. Bro... You traveled!
http://instagram.com/p/ihJ4DiiEYq/

Joslyn Tinkle @jtinkle
One big happy family
Joslyn Tinkle @jtinkle
Emphasis on the BIG
Elle Tinkle @ell_tink
LOVE IT
Drew Barham @dbarham43
Hahaha bro, thanks bro! Love you! #SignalChamps #TheTurnUpIsReal #HUGEfamily #TwerkTeam #cornholechamps #ridethewavetoheaven #themzisminez #broutraveled #imoutofhashtags
Tres Tinkle @tatinkle3
I like the #ridethewavetoheaven lol @dbarham43

hooter73
02-24-2014, 06:41 PM
That is awesome!

CanadianZagFan
02-25-2014, 03:06 AM
I must say that for a high school junior he has some very solid foot work in the post. He showed a nice variety of moves, he has a spin move going left or right, up and under, and a very nice reverse pivot into a face up shot. I like this kid a bunch!

exclusivelee
02-25-2014, 02:08 PM
Jerry Meyer of 24/7 Sports predicts Gonzaga is the fronrunner to land Stephen Thompson:

http://247sports.com/Player/Stephen-Thompson-30165

Stephen Thompson has been quoted to have listed Gonzaga in his prospective top 5

Kendall Small and Jeremy Hemsley also have GU in their prospective top 5, as well:
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=980155

seacatfan
02-25-2014, 02:28 PM
I remember Thompson's dad playing at Syracuse. Man I feel old sometimes! I liked the interview, sounds like a really level headed and down to earth young man.

BobZag
02-25-2014, 02:29 PM
I follow SSF on Twitter. Very good. Recommend.

Hope the staff lands one or two of the above. That'd be awfully nice.

demian
02-25-2014, 05:04 PM
I remember Thompson's dad playing at Syracuse. Man I feel old sometimes! I liked the interview, sounds like a really level headed and down to earth young man.

I really liked his dads game at Syracuse back in the early 90's with Conrad Mcrae, Adrian Autry et all. I have always liked Syracuse actually

seacatfan
02-25-2014, 06:34 PM
I really liked his dads game at Syracuse back in the early 90's with Conrad Mcrae, Adrian Autry et all. I have always liked Syracuse actually

I liked the 'Cuse back then more than I do now. Lawrence "poetry in" Moten. John Wallace. I really got started watching basketball a little earlier than that. I remember coming home from school and watching great Big East matchups on Big Monday back when Sherman Douglas, Derrick Coleman and Rony Seikaly played for SU. Jerome Lane at Pitt. Malik Sealy at St. John's. Etc., etc.

I was guessing it was his dad based on the name, the link confirmed it.

exclusivelee
02-28-2014, 07:21 AM
Kendall Small & his Mayfair squad play #1 Mater Dei (M.J. Cage, Rex Pflueger) tonight

Here's an article on Kendall published yesterday:

http://www.presstelegram.com/sports/20140227/game-changer-kendall-small-ready-to-lead-mayfair-boys-basketball-vs-no-1-mater-dei-in-the-open-division-quarterfinals

hooter73
02-28-2014, 07:44 AM
ESPN ranked #55, 3.7 steals a game, averaging 20.8 points, I dont know how, but I hope we are still on his list. He wanted to come here. I know thats just how recruiting goes and you have to take other great guard prospects in the class that will be here before his but man to miss on Kendall would be heartbreaking. Either way, I'll be following his career as he sounds like a great kid. Quiet, plays well as the underdog... Very cool opportunity he has with this game coming up.

vandalzag
02-28-2014, 08:12 AM
Zags do not stand a chance if the BCS schools start calling, window of opportunity is painted shut and boarded over, just like when Perkins was going to be wooed away from his GU commit when he decided to play at Huntington Prep.

Zagdawg
02-28-2014, 08:40 AM
Small wanted to come here......Perkins wanted to come here......Perkins pulled the trigger-- it is up to Small to pull the trigger also if he wants to play with Perkins and be a Zag.

Lots of other programs involved-- hopefully he joins the Zag family -- but it is his call-- he has the offer--just needs to make the decision.

ZagaZags
02-28-2014, 08:36 PM
Kendall Small's team lost tonight vs Mater Dei. Small had 21 points.

ZagaZags
03-01-2014, 12:13 AM
Looks like we've offered this combo guard. In the Silas Melson thread a poster mentioned that he verballed to Tommy, so I did some research. Looks like a baller with good pedigree.

http://www.premierball.com/2015-stephen-thompson-jr-interview/

Stephen Thompson's team won again to move on in the CIF playoffs. Thompson had a huge night.

demian
03-01-2014, 12:20 AM
I liked the 'Cuse back then more than I do now. Lawrence "poetry in" Moten. John Wallace. I really got started watching basketball a little earlier than that. I remember coming home from school and watching great Big East matchups on Big Monday back when Sherman Douglas, Derrick Coleman and Rony Seikaly played for SU. Jerome Lane at Pitt. Malik Sealy at St. John's. Etc., etc.

I was guessing it was his dad based on the name, the link confirmed it.

I agree with you I will never forget coming home from school and watching Big Monday games on espn of big east opponents followed up by Big Ten opponents. Great call about Moten, John Wallace, Sherm Douglas, Seikely, Jerome Lane of Pitt was a monster. malik sealy was a great. I grew up as an elementary age kid watching Pearl Washington at Syracuse, Chris Mullin and Walter Barry at St Johns, ewing at Georgetown et all on Mondays after school. Nothing better.

Reborn
03-01-2014, 07:08 AM
Yeah!! It's really too bad the Big East was dismantled. A sad move for NCAA basketball. That Big East Conference Tournament, along with the Big 10's and Big 12's, was almost as good as the NCAA National Tournament.

A very nice read about Thompson. It would really be nice to have him, along with Small. Wow!!!

BobZag
03-01-2014, 09:19 AM
Stephen Thompson's team won again to move on in the CIF playoffs. Thompson had a huge night.

Boxscore? Stats?

exclusivelee
03-01-2014, 09:34 AM
Boxscore? Stats?

http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/20140228/prep-roundup-inglewood-boys-basketball-blazes-into-cif-ss-di-aa-semifinals

BISHOP MONTGOMERY 71, CATHEDRAL 59 >> Stephen Thompson Jr. had 25 points, five assists and five steals as visiting Bishop Montgomery (23-5) picked up the win in the consolation bracket of the CIF Southern Section Open Division. Justin Bibbins had 13 points, seven assists and five steals and Christian Os'hita added 12 points and five rebounds for Bishop Montgomery, which advances to the consolation semifinals to host St. John Bosco on Tuesday.

seacatfan
03-01-2014, 10:09 AM
I agree with you I will never forget coming home from school and watching Big Monday games on espn of big east opponents followed up by Big Ten opponents. Great call about Moten, John Wallace, Sherm Douglas, Seikely, Jerome Lane of Pitt was a monster. malik sealy was a great. I grew up as an elementary age kid watching Pearl Washington at Syracuse, Chris Mullin and Walter Barry at St Johns, ewing at Georgetown et all on Mondays after school. Nothing better.

I remember that era too. For whatever reason I didn't watch as many games back then w/ Mullin, Berry, Ewing etc. Maybe my family didn't have cable so no ESPN? The Big East kinda came out of nowhere and took over college bball. Had 3 teams in the Final 4 one season in the mid 80's. Kinda doubt we'll ever see one conference have 3/4 of the teams playing the final weekend of the season ever again.

seacatfan
03-01-2014, 10:19 AM
Yeah!! It's really too bad the Big East was dismantled. A sad move for NCAA basketball. That Big East Conference Tournament, along with the Big 10's and Big 12's, was almost as good as the NCAA National Tournament.

A very nice read about Thompson. It would really be nice to have him, along with Small. Wow!!!

It is my opinion that the BCS era of college football has nearly ruined college sports. The endless expansion and realignment of conferences with no regard to geography or traditional rivalries. The greedy attempt to consolidate as much power, influence and financial might to as few schools/conferences as possible. The Big East is the best example among many. The ongoing but ultimately futile attempt to remain relevant in football sadly destroyed what was for many years the best basketball conference. All for nothing in the end. I enjoy watching football, but I hate what it has done to college athletics. Money is everything. The idea that there is anything "amateur" about the NCAA is laughable. Billions of dollars are generated. Nothing amateur about that. Oops, sorry, got on a bit of a soapbox there.

ZagaZags
03-01-2014, 11:36 AM
Boxscore? Stats?

Sorry BZ, I can't add a link when I post from my phone.

BobZag
03-01-2014, 11:45 AM
http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/20140228/prep-roundup-inglewood-boys-basketball-blazes-into-cif-ss-di-aa-semifinals

Thanks.

demian
03-01-2014, 12:33 PM
Yeah I agree Reborn the Big East tourney was Incredible every year. Two years ago I made a "bucket list" and on my list was to go to the Friday Night Semifinal event of the Big East tourney at Madison Square Garden. I always thought that Friday night event with two incredible games back to back in Madison Square Garden was magical. One of my favorite television events every year, could only imagine how great it would have been in person.

BobZag
03-04-2014, 04:08 PM
We'll merge all individual 2015 prospects threads into this one for one-stop shopping for results, news, etc.

ZagaZags
03-06-2014, 07:45 PM
No surprise here, Rainier Beach 74 Shadle Park 46.
http://www.thenewstribune.com/2014/03/06/3082772/no-1-rainier-beach-rolls-over.html

23dpg
03-06-2014, 08:19 PM
Jesse Wade's team make the state semis.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/tribpreps/57642249-190/darts-davis-porter-copper.html.csp

ZagaZags
03-06-2014, 08:20 PM
Jesse Wade's team make the state semis.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/tribpreps/57642249-190/darts-davis-porter-copper.html.csp

Thanks for the update.

maynard g krebs
03-06-2014, 11:17 PM
No surprise here, Rainier Beach 74 Shadle Park 46.
http://www.thenewstribune.com/2014/03/06/3082772/no-1-rainier-beach-rolls-over.html

Just got home from my day at the tourney. It could have been a hundred to 30, easily. 19-4 after 1, 43-14 or something at the half. Beach was just going for impossible alleyoops, tip jams and high risk, flashy passes the whole second half. Totally bored. But while they are serious they move the ball really well. Ladd, Crisp, Aaron and Murray are all excellent passers. Aaron looks like the second coming of Jamal Crawford, only bigger, though maybe a tad less explosive. Murray isn't far behind. Great vision, lightning quick off the dribble when you see him in person. Easy to see why Ky is after him; he can play their style and though he's really good, probably a multiyear college player, something Calipari may be realizing he needs to have a few of.

I was impressed with Murray when I saw him on tv in the MLK, but much more so in person. Long and lean, quick, nice looking shot, excellent feel for the game, and a pest on defense. If GU can manage to recruit him successfully, it will be a real coup.

WallaWallaZag
03-07-2014, 04:46 AM
Just got home from my day at the tourney. It could have been a hundred to 30, easily. 19-4 after 1, 43-14 or something at the half. Beach was just going for impossible alleyoops, tip jams and high risk, flashy passes the whole second half. Totally bored. But while they are serious they move the ball really well. Ladd, Crisp, Aaron and Murray are all excellent passers. Aaron looks like the second coming of Jamal Crawford, only bigger, though maybe a tad less explosive. Murray isn't far behind. Great vision, lightning quick off the dribble when you see him in person. Easy to see why Ky is after him; he can play their style and though he's really good, probably a multiyear college player, something Calipari may be realizing he needs to have a few of.

I was impressed with Murray when I saw him on tv in the MLK, but much more so in person. Long and lean, quick, nice looking shot, excellent feel for the game, and a pest on defense. If GU can manage to recruit him successfully, it will be a real coup.

any chance rainier beach ends up playing against perkins in the national tournament they're supposed to be attending???

ZagaZags
03-07-2014, 12:11 PM
any chance rainier beach ends up playing against perkins in the national tournament they're supposed to be attending???

There is always a chance. I want to see Rainier Beach vs Mater Dei.

BobZag
03-07-2014, 12:22 PM

Agree with if GU gets Murray. He's not really a scorer, by the sounds of it. What does he excel at most, and what are his weaknesses?

maynard g krebs
03-07-2014, 01:24 PM
Agree with if GU gets Murray. He's not really a scorer, by the sounds of it. What does he excel at most, and what are his weaknesses?

Aaron averages 22, Crisp 21 and Murray 19 or so if I remember what was in the paper right, so it's more a case of multiple scorers sharing the points. My opinion is he does just about everything well. It would take a coach or scout, somebody more astute/analytical than me, to spot a weakness. Closest I can find is that he's skinny.

What I think he excels at most is penetrating and passing. Very hard to stay in front of, can get in the lane and find people instinctively as help defense comes. Very quick and great instincts, and really handles it for a 6'4 kid. But also has a nice jumper, and the tools to be the equal of Bell on defense. Not as strong, but longer/taller and as quick, probably quicker though it's hard to say.

I can see the interest in Piper as well. Watching him, I thought of CDC's posts about Errol Knight and how the Zags don't have anyone to guard an elite 6'6 wing on Ky or UNC. Piper isn't that good on offense from what I've seen, but he could be that guy.

BobZag
03-07-2014, 01:35 PM
Thanks, Dobie's buddy.

exclusivelee
04-06-2014, 08:31 PM
The latest on Kendall Small:

http://ask.fm/kendallsmall

Q: What are your top 3 colleges that your considering?
A: Idk all equal
about 18 hours ago

Q: What are the top things you're looking for while picking what school you're gonna play at?
A: Style of play, tradition, whether I can live in that area or not, close to home
about 18 hours ago

Q: How many offers u have? And are u staying at Mayfair next year?
A: Staying at mayfair and 10+
about 7 hours ago

Q: Which schools are your favorites to take your official visits?
A: Uhh idk yet
about 7 hours ago

Q: How does oregon stack up with the other schools recruiting you?
A: Everyone is equal at this point
about 7 hours ago

Q: When are you hoping to commit by?
A: After spring period
about 6 hours ago

Q: Commit by Spring 2014 or spring 2015?
A: 2014
about 2 hours ago

hooter73
04-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Meh, nothing to base anything on one way or the other.

C'mon Kendall!

thespywhozaggedme
04-06-2014, 09:03 PM
There's nothing common about Kendall Small. C'mon Kendall choose GU!
Meh, nothing to base anything on one way or the other.

Common Kendall!

hooter73
04-07-2014, 07:45 AM
HA, nice typo on my part.

LongIslandZagFan
04-07-2014, 09:04 AM
The latest on Kendall Small:

http://ask.fm/kendallsmall

Well that was fairly non-commital. ;)

ZagaZags
04-07-2014, 10:53 PM
Cool video about the Thompson family.
http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/more-family-fun/201403/stephen-ethan-thompson-syracuse-basketball-los-angeles-father-son

BobZag
04-21-2014, 06:11 PM
Luke Maye 6'8 2015 Hough (NC)

Has been offered by Gonzaga.

sittingon50
04-21-2014, 06:53 PM
Interesting looking prospect.

hooter73
04-21-2014, 09:01 PM
Recruiting lots of tall guys imo says we are going to have room for tall guys one way or another. Maybe not expecting two juniors to be seniors Im thinking, or at least one of them anyway...

BobZag
04-23-2014, 02:05 PM
Gonzaga visiting PF Nate Grimes today, per Rivals' Eric Bossi.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/186430/nate-grimes

hooter73
04-23-2014, 02:13 PM
Grimes - a 4 star with not many big name schools on his list. A raw 6'7, 210lb athlete. interesting.