PDA

View Full Version : OT Gonzaga vs Arizona 2003 NCAA Tourney

SteelZag
03-04-2014, 03:25 PM
GU vs Arizona replay on PAC 12 channel at 9:00pm.

Should help get us in the mood.

Ekrub
03-04-2014, 03:39 PM
Ranks up there with 3OT vs MSU and vs Florida in the tourney as my favorite game.

jazzdelmar
03-04-2014, 03:53 PM
Maybe Kyle takes the shot today.

Zags11
03-04-2014, 04:09 PM
Ugh. Heart breaker but what toughness.

jazzdelmar
03-04-2014, 04:21 PM
Count the future pros on Zona. And a few had been suspended I believe.

webspinnre
03-04-2014, 06:03 PM
I was at that game, in the Pep Band, right behind the basket. From the excitement of Tony's putback to take us to overtime, to the agony of Blake's missed shot at the end. Heckuva ballgame. I was absolutely hoarse.

vandalzag
03-04-2014, 07:17 PM
Maybe Kyle takes the shot today.

Sorry not even Kyle's parents thinks he takes that shot over Blake

seacatfan
03-04-2014, 10:36 PM
Count the future pros on Zona. And a few had been suspended I believe.

Not as many as you'd think. Iguodala has had by far the best pro career, and he hardly played. Channing Frye has been a journeyman, lengthy career. Walton's kid played for a while. Guys like Salim Stoudamire, Jason Gardner, Hassan Adams just didn't stick in the NBA.

seacatfan
03-04-2014, 10:39 PM
Stepp went from having a terrible game to a great game in no time flat. He was 2-10 w/ 6 points about midway thru the 2nd half and then he just caught fire. Tony Skinner was incredible. Fox came up big off the bench. Turiaf was good but fouled out. Never mind Stepp's kinda off balance leaning floater at the buzzer that wouldn't go down, Skinner had a really good look that rimmed out. Couldn't ask for a better shot than that from a guy that had a hot night shooting the ball.

sittingon50
03-04-2014, 10:57 PM
The only Tourney loss that I've ever rewatched. And I've rewatched it a bunch of times.

seacatfan
03-04-2014, 11:08 PM
The only Tourney loss that I've ever rewatched. And I've rewatched it a bunch of times.

Hoping the shot might drop if you watch it enough times?

ZagaZags
03-04-2014, 11:13 PM
Hoping the shot might drop if you watch it enough times?

Dan Dickau would have made it.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-04-2014, 11:50 PM
Ugh, just re-watched the overtimes. On our 2nd to last possession in 2OT, the shot clock should've reset, and Skinner ended up taking a long, rushed 3. I wonder if that threw off his rhythm just enough for him to miss the 3 on our last possession. But the refs inadvertently made up for it on Arizona's last possession by not calling a foul on Violette when he took a swipe at Salim Stoudamire. Love Few's reaction when the game ends. His heart (like all of ours), had just been ripped out. But he stays upbeat and claps, and congratulates Lute Olson.

Zags11
03-05-2014, 12:11 AM
Dan Dickau would have made it.

Maybe. He got his shot swatted and saved by calvary in march. Who had better march? Dickau. However I believe that was dickau's one chance in march for game winner. Stepp had multiple chances at the end. His best game in the ncaa's as he didn't have good games in the tournament.

I rewatched it and hoped we won. Ugh.

northsidezagfan
03-05-2014, 03:44 AM
Not as many as you'd think. Iguodala has had by far the best pro career, and he hardly played. Channing Frye has been a journeyman, lengthy career. Walton's kid played for a while. Guys like Salim Stoudamire, Jason Gardner, Hassan Adams just didn't stick in the NBA.

Walton played 11 seasons in the NBA, up until this season.
Will Bynum is still in the NBA.
Frye is still in the NBA.
Obviously Iguodala.
Stoudemire played 3 seasons in the NBA and is still playing overseas.
Gardner played 9 overseas.
Adams played 2 seasons in the NBA and is still playing overseas.
Rick Anderson played 5 years overseas.
Isaiah Fox played 5 seasons overseas.
Dennis Latimore played overseas.
Chris Rodgers is still playing overseas.
So that's their entire roster besides their 2 walk-ons that played professionally. 6 NBA guys, 4 with careers over 10 years. They were pretty stacked.

Vanzagger
03-05-2014, 04:59 AM
I thought Channing Frye was still playing for Arizona

GoZags
03-05-2014, 05:13 AM
Maybe. He got his shot swatted and saved by calvary in march. Who had better march? Dickau. However I believe that was dickau's one chance in march for game winner. Stepp had multiple chances at the end. His best game in the ncaa's as he didn't have good games in the tournament.

I rewatched it and hoped we won. Ugh.

Dan had plenty of chances for "game winners" against Wyoming in '02 .... but his 7-24 from the field (29%) was actually better than the team average (27%).
Zags had a 6 point lead with 6 minutes left in that one .... but couldn't score down the stretch.

jazzdelmar
03-05-2014, 05:33 AM
Obviously Iguodala.
So that's their entire roster besides their 2 walk-ons that played professionally. 6 NBA guys, 4 with careers over 10 years. They were pretty stacked.

Thank you, great work......I am thinking that Gilbert Arenas was also somewhere on that roster.....or in Lute's detention

Corrected....Gilbert played 99-01

Birddog
03-05-2014, 06:15 AM
I was in a medium sized local Sports Bar in Central Ok to watch that game. I called in advance to make sure they would have a screen as either Ok St or OK was playing as well as Tulsa in overlapping broadcasts. I was wearing my Zags t shirt and people started asking me about GU as the game progressed. As each of the local games ended people started watching the Zags/Ariz and after both games of local interest ended the bar switched all sets to the game. Most of the patrons were aware of the game because of the updates. So starting with the last few minutes of the game there were about 50 people suddenly becoming Zag fans. They were back slapping me and cheering like crazy and when the game went to OT most were standing up. When the game ended there was a dead silence for a few moments and then there was a cheer and people started clapping. Several people came up to me and asked questions and gave the Zags props. More than a few Okies became aware that the Zags were for real and became fans because of that game. It was a heartbreaker, but one helluva game!

Zagceo
03-05-2014, 07:41 AM
I was in a large bar in Phoenix and everybody was rooting for Zags! It is Sun Devil territory. It was interesting to watch the game last night. The game seemed so much more physical and out of control than a normal zag game today imo. I'm sure the matchup had a lot to do with it. Skinner played great. Everybody played hard. We had large bodies with Ronny,Zach,Cory and Fox and they were all physical. I remember smiling the entire game and didn't feel bad after because those boys left everything on the court. I was proud of our team.

Zags11
03-05-2014, 07:50 AM
Dan had plenty of chances for "game winners" against Wyoming in '02 .... but his 7-24 from the field (29%) was actually better than the team average (27%).
Zags had a 6 point lead with 6 minutes left in that one .... but couldn't score down the stretch.

My point. However stepp did have below average ncaa. He was fun to watch tho. My favorite guy.

Zags11
03-05-2014, 07:53 AM
I think that zag team was 1 of the most physical zag teams in last 11 years. What fun though to go down memory lane. What a step through by blake, if it just coulda.....

Zags11
03-05-2014, 07:55 AM

Plus I block that game out for obvious reasons like seed and location jobbing. Just like block out nevada, but my brain won't let me forget ucla. All I hear is Gus shouting "heartbreak city." The horror.....well my morning is ruined.

seacatfan
03-05-2014, 10:10 AM
Obviously Iguodala.

Latimore and Bynum had both transferred and were not with the Cats during the NCAA Tourney. How many Zags from that game have had professional careers overseas? I would guess a handful of them. That Arizona team wasn't nearly as star studded as the '01 team that had several of the players that were still there in '03 plus Gilbert Arenas, Richard Jefferson, Michael Wright and Loren Woods.

seacatfan
03-05-2014, 10:15 AM
Plus I block that game out for obvious reasons like seed and location jobbing. Just like block out nevada, but my brain won't let me forget ucla. All I hear is Gus shouting "heartbreak city." The horror.....well my morning is ruined.

I want to block out the Nevada game, but I can't. I was there. It was a nightmare. I still can't forget watching Stepp miss one shot after another. I was actually hoping Few would pull him, but that wasn't going to happen w/ a Sr. who was the team's best player. Shot them out of the game and gave them no chance of getting back in it. That and Turiaf fouling out in about 10 minutes, including 2 completely bogus offensive fouls where there was no contact. I was screaming my head off, that game killed me.

seacatfan
03-05-2014, 10:36 AM
I was in a large bar in Phoenix and everybody was rooting for Zags! It is Sun Devil territory.

More like they were rooting against Arizona I would guess.

Zagceo
03-05-2014, 10:39 AM
More like they were rooting against Arizona I would guess.

Thats one way to look at it. :)

seacatfan
03-05-2014, 10:44 AM
Watching the game last night was interesting. Supposedly Gonzaga has upped the talent level of players over the years, but watching a team from 10+ years ago I don't really think so. Turiaf/Gourde/Violette/Fox was a ridiculous rotation at the 4/5 in terms of both size and ability. Any one of those 4 would find plenty of playing time currently. Zags haven't seen anyone remotely close to Skinner at the 3 in years. This year's team would kill to have a player like that. Or last year's, etc. It would be hard to argue any GU guard in years has been better than Stepp. Brooks was maybe a little bit like Goodson, but better. Certainly a big contributor even though he wasn't a big scorer.