PDA

View Full Version : Bilas drops Zags; offers faint praise

jazzdelmar
03-04-2014, 08:56 AM
34. Gonzaga Bulldogs (Previous ranking: 23)

The Zags won the West Coast Conference again, but I'm not sure they've played their best basketball yet. They can definitely make the most of their trips down the floor, though, averaging 115.7 points per 100 offensive possessions, the 14th-best mark in the nation.

MTZag03
03-04-2014, 08:58 AM
No one believes in the Zags this year it seems. Well, no one except Saint Mary's.

gonzagafan62
03-04-2014, 09:06 AM
34. Gonzaga Bulldogs (Previous ranking: 23)

The Zags won the West Coast Conference again, but I'm not sure they've played their best basketball yet. They can definitely make the most of their trips down the floor, though, averaging 115.7 points per 100 offensive possessions, the 14th-best mark in the nation.

Drops us what 11 spots for winning 2 road games? HA!

Zagdawg
03-04-2014, 09:17 AM
Oh well-- just win baby and it doesn't matter if you are ranked #7 or # 49 -- you still keep playing.

Go Zags.

cjm720
03-04-2014, 09:24 AM

Seriously funny...

Love the fact that we're relatively under the radar.

gonzagabasketball
03-04-2014, 09:28 AM

I look at is as a relection of the Zags going 4-3 against their most difficult 7 game stretch. I think there is merit to his point of view, much to my chagrin.

Zagceo
03-04-2014, 09:29 AM
I love it. Under the radar no pressure angry could be a perfect storm to rain 3's!

VaBeachZAG
03-04-2014, 09:30 AM
No one believes in the Zags this year it seems. Well, no one except Saint Mary's.

A few media talking heads stuck their necks out for the Zags last year and were likely embarrassed by our inglorious early exit from the tournament. Same thing has been true (to a lesser extent in numerous previous years) with the same disappointing early exit. In order for the Zags to get the level of national respect we on this board think they deserve, they are going to have to start achieving much better results in the tournament. Like it or not, the national perception is that the Zags swim in a small pool (the WCC) with the result that their high flying stats are suspect. Performing well in high profile OCC games (we had none this year) helps, but fairly consistent deep runs in the tournament (at least to the second weekend) is what will raise the GU "respect profile" around the country. I say there is no time like the present to commence those deep runs.

exclusivelee
03-04-2014, 09:30 AM

Correction: he dropped us 11 spots after 2-2 in 4 road games

Jay Bilas' last update was on February 18: http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=10472176&src=desktop

Zags11
03-04-2014, 09:32 AM
Its all good. We have been eh besides the last 2 weeks in our 7 game stretch. We will do things in march.

hooter73
03-04-2014, 09:40 AM
A few media talking heads stuck their necks out for the Zags last year and were likely embarrassed by our inglorious early exit from the tournament. Same thing has been true (to a lesser extent in numerous previous years) with the same disappointing early exit. In order for the Zags to get the level of national respect we on this board think they deserve, they are going to have to start achieving much better results in the tournament. Like it or not, the national perception is that the Zags swim in a small pool (the WCC) with the result that their high flying stats are suspect. Performing well in high profile OCC games (we had none this year) helps, but fairly consistent deep runs in the tournament (at least to the second weekend) is what will raise the GU "respect profile" around the country. I say there is no time like the present to commence those deep runs.

After a certain amount of time, perception and reality merge closer to one another.

Were in, we'll win a few more games and thats what we do. Im happy with are "status quot" and more is just gravy.

but who doesnt like a little extra gravy once in a while.

jpwils
03-04-2014, 09:43 AM
Its all good. We have been eh besides the last 2 weeks in our 7 game stretch. We will do things in march.

Our team is gaining momentum which coincides directly with being healthy and at full strength.

We have taken a couple hard losses but dealt out some serious punishment to our foes as well.

Now we are entering our " THIRD SEASON" ....if we can continue to rebound and drive to the hoop and not rely too much on the 3 -ball,,,,we can win because few teams can stop Dower, Karnowski, Pangos,
and a player I believe to be the wild card.....Gary Bell.

If Bell (and /or Barham and Dranginis and Coleman
and Nunez) can hit some 3's while providing defense- this team's chances SKYROCKET!!!

Let's get thru the WCC tourney without injuries and make some committee members take notice!

This is the right time of year to find our sweet spot!!!

cbbfanatic
03-04-2014, 09:48 AM
I love it. Under the radar no pressure angry could be a perfect storm to rain 3's!

do you actually believe that these kids feel no pressure just because they arent being talked up by bilas and co?

sure, they must feel less pressure than last year's team and its very lofty ranking, but i bet these guys still feel the pressure in spokane, on campus, etc. the natinal media might not have expectations for this team, but that doesnt mean the fans, students, coaches, players etc dont have expectations and pressures.

again, im sure its not the same as last year, but to say they're under the radar with no pressure doesnt feel accurate to me. the people that matter know the aspirations and expectations of this team this year. not trying to single you out either, just quoted you because you seemed to sum up the sentiment most concisely.

CDC84
03-04-2014, 09:48 AM

One of the things that the pundits are simply ignoring about Gonzaga is how good they have been defensively this year. Especially during WCC play:

http://kenpom.com/index.php?y=2014

The 2014 Zags are now 23rd in the nation in defensive efficiency (44th on offense). By comparison last year's team, which many regard as GU's best ever, was 37th in defensive efficiency.

This is a remarkable statistic when you consider that most of us felt this team would be very weak on the defensive end going into this season. On the surface, this group really shouldn't be all that great defensively. Few's substitution patterns (which people often gripe about, but are primarily based on defense as opposed to offense this year) as well as the emergence of Dranginis and Karnowski as individual defenders has really elevated the defense. It also seems as though the 3 point defense has gotten much better since the Portland loss.

Zagceo
03-04-2014, 10:27 AM
do you actually believe that these kids feel no pressure just because they arent being talked up by bilas and co?

sure, they must feel less pressure than last year's team and its very lofty ranking, but i bet these guys still feel the pressure in spokane, on campus, etc. the natinal media might not have expectations for this team, but that doesnt mean the fans, students, coaches, players etc dont have expectations and pressures.

again, im sure its not the same as last year, but to say they're under the radar with no pressure doesnt feel accurate to me. the people that matter know the aspirations and expectations of this team this year. not trying to single you out either, just quoted you because you seemed to sum up the sentiment most concisely.

I agree with your assessment in general. No matter what if you play basketball at Gonzaga pressure from high expectations will always exist. I'm just looking for the edge that could unleash the kraken! The boys need a chip and you have to look for the bulletin board material wherever you can if you're a coach and drive it home to your team. Pete Carroll is a master at it. Making a young team feel like they're being disrespected in some way by the media or other teams and getting his players to rise above it to play fast hard and loose. React don't think!

CdAZagFan
03-04-2014, 10:50 AM
One of the things that the pundits are simply ignoring about Gonzaga is how good they have been defensively this year. Especially during WCC play:

http://kenpom.com/index.php?y=2014

The 2014 Zags are now 23rd in the nation in defensive efficiency (44th on offense). By comparison last year's team, which many regard as GU's best ever, was 37th in defensive efficiency.

This is a remarkable statistic when you consider that most of us felt this team would be very weak on the defensive end going into this season. On the surface, this group really shouldn't be all that great defensively. Few's substitution patterns (which people often gripe about, but are primarily based on defense as opposed to offense this year) as well as the emergence of Dranginis and Karnowski as individual defenders has really elevated the defense. It also seems as though the 3 point defense has gotten much better since the Portland loss.

Agree wholeheartedly. I love how guys like PK and KD play defense. Defense overall this year has been good. I'm actually glad we are a little under the radar this year (I wouldn't mind a 10-12 seed in the tourney - anything actually but the 8/9 spot).

jim77
03-04-2014, 11:20 AM
Past performances are not indicators of future successes. Each individual team will determine that.

I've said it before, I'll say it again...There is NO dominant team in college basketball this year, the Zags could beat any of them. Our front court could give ANY team fits. We led Memphis the whole way and should have won it....and we weren't 100%. This tourney is wide open. I agree with an earlier poster, "I'll take a 8 or 9 seed then a 1 seed (preferably WSU) and ride their path to the final 4. The WCC is closer in talent(in relation to other conferences) this year then they have been in years.

JPtheBeasta
03-04-2014, 11:40 AM

I agree with you to a point. I have seen multiple big names go out of their way to mention that we lost a)to Wichita State and b) with an injured GBJ. I think they have been unexpectedly kind in this regard.

McZag
03-04-2014, 12:33 PM
I find the lack of hype refreshing. The experts are reliably dead wrong when it comes to March winners. I say let them put us in the basement. It's their funeral.

UberZagFan
03-04-2014, 03:09 PM
Hype is overrated.

75Zag
03-04-2014, 04:09 PM
Hell hath no fury like a woman (or a sports journalist) scorned.

GU's face plant in the NCAAs last year was embarrassing not only for GU fans and boosters but also for the many sportscasters who helped hype them to a #1 seed. I can't blame Bilas who probably feels he was duped by last year's GU team.

Winning the NCAAs does not require popularity it just requires winning games.

Go Bulldogs!

Ekrub
03-04-2014, 04:32 PM
Seems to me defense travels better. Bell Karnowski and dranginis all being above average defenders may help us in the tourney. What we need is pangos to figure out how to put the ball through the net at the same clip he does at home. E-8 if he does this.