PDA

View Full Version : GUBoards 2014 Yahoo BILLION DOLLAR Bracket Challenge!

Oregonzagnut
03-03-2014, 04:53 PM
March Madness is here! So for everyone at GUBoards that puts up with me, I am honored to put together this yearly bracket contest. And plus, Warren Buffett announced he is backing the prize for picking a perfect bracket, of 1 BILLION dollars.

Yes folks, a perfect bracket can win 1 Billion Dollars

The Catch: ONLY THE FIRST 15,000,000 ENTRANTS WHO COMPLETE THE REGISTRATION PROCESS (AS DETERMINED BY YAHOO) ARE ELIGIBLE FOR THE CHALLENGE. So as soon as you see this thread and want to try to pick a perfect bracket, register ASAP. (and I am not promoting or pushing anything quicken loans has to sell. Just sayin')

https://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/quickenloansbracket/challenge

If you don't want to deal with the registration or the uncertainty of online registrations, then use this link:

https://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/quickenloansbracket/register/joingroup

Otherwise, as usual, I also provide a GUboards contest grand prize to the best bracket in our group from my own personal Gonzaga collection, and I promise, you have a much better chance of winning that than the billion. But nonetheless, none of us win anything if we don't try. I posted the prizes in the photo at the end of this post.

But I wanted to get this available to our board ASAP because only the 1st 15 million get the chance! If you register, it should prompt you to a page where you click on "Join a Private Pool". (6961, King David).

So, if you are interested in joining the GUBoards private group, please use either link above and get the GUBoards name and password. You are not required to give any personal information to register in this private group, only to win the money. Normally I ask people to contact me privately but the time crunch (and my inability to keep my inbox empty) makes me need to post the group name and password, and let anyone who reads this board JOIN!

Most importantly! You must have your brackets filled out before the first tip-off!

Don't forget!

Name: Gonzaga GUBoards (ID# 6961)
Password: King David

OZN would like to say "Thank You" to the Spokesman Review, to ALL the Moderators of GUBoards who volunteer their time, and to each and every member who post links, articles, stats and opinions on our beloved Gonzaga Bulldogs!

And above all, GO ZAGS!!

Prize. The person who has the best bracket will get autographs of three of my favorite All-time Zag guards. Matt Santangelo, Dan Dickau and Blake Stepp.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww10/peter_aaron/Zagspickem13_zps5d0536bc.jpg

zagzilla
03-03-2014, 05:10 PM
While I appreciate you setting this up OZN, there's lots more marketing BS this year including a SMS verification code that authorizes Yahoo to send me marketing text messages. No obvious way to opt out. Astronomical odds to win $1B not compelling enough to make me allow spam to my phone. Nice try Quicken Loans.

They also require me to provide info about my mortgage too. No bueno. I think I'll skip the GU Boards bracket this year.

EDIT: Looks like you can play but maybe not for $1B??? It took my registration and I didn't provide cell phone #, though it is asking for it in the banner ad for the $1B bracket challenge

ZZ

Oregonzagnut
03-03-2014, 05:17 PM
While I appreciate you setting this up OZN, there's lots more marketing BS this year including a SMS verification code that authorizes Yahoo to send me marketing text messages. No obvious way to opt out. Astronomical odds to win $1B not compelling enough to make me allow spam to my phone. Nice try Quicken Loans.

They also require me to provide info about my mortgage too. No bueno. I think I'll skip the GU Boards bracket this year.

EDIT: Looks like you can play but maybe not for $1B??? It took my registration and I didn't provide cell phone #, though it is asking for it in the banner ad for the $1B bracket challenge

ZZ

ZZ. Can you show me or anyone where this is? No one else has confirmed this. I have not had a single solicitation or SPAM from this bracket contest ever. Nor has anyone else to my knowledge.

you can also try this link:

https://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/quickenloansbracket/register/joingroup

I clicked "no mortage" on everything. BUT if you notice the "opt out" link above, you can simply just join the group and not apply for the Billion. Its entirely up to you. I registered and I never entered my phone # so not sure how they would do SMS texting.

MTZag03
03-03-2014, 05:33 PM
I calculated the odds of getting this right today at work. It's something like 2.5e-20. It won't ever happen.

It also won't happen to me considering I've never had a bracket where GU wasn't the national championship.

However, I'd love to play with you guys.

Oregonzagnut
03-04-2014, 02:16 AM
I calculated the odds of getting this right today at work. It's something like 2.5e-20. It won't ever happen.

It also won't happen to me considering I've never had a bracket where GU wasn't the national championship.

This year you can have three brackets in the group. Did you calculate the odds that you get a perfect bracket AND Gonzaga wins it all? It is possible.

dnj116
03-04-2014, 05:40 AM
ZZ. Can you show me or anyone where this is? No one else has confirmed this. I have not had a single solicitation or SPAM from this bracket contest ever. Nor has anyone else to my knowledge.

you can also try this link:

I clicked "no mortage" on everything. BUT if you notice the "opt out" link above, you can simply just join the group and not apply for the Billion. Its entirely up to you. I registered and I never entered my phone # so not sure how they would do SMS texting.

I can't say whether they use that phone number for spam purposes, but a phone number is required (http://www.quickenloansbracket.com/rules/rules.html) to be eligible to win the billion. They have quite an official rule page (which is understandable, considering the prize). Don't think I'll put in for the billion either, but I'll throw in a GU Boards bracket.

Also, OZN, in the bizarre chance that you actually win, submitting false information about your mortgage (assuming you have one), could be grounds for not giving you the grand prize because according to the rules, you warrant that everything you provide is accurate. Just a heads up...

GoZags
03-04-2014, 06:04 AM

In '99 I won our Company pool and "aced" the Western Region. It helped that I had an "idea" that the Zags were going to make a run. I figured I was a quarter/way through a "perfect" bracket. It obviously was meaningful to me as I'm still popping off about it 15 years later.

Oregonzagnut
03-04-2014, 06:29 AM
I can't say whether they use that phone number for spam purposes, but a phone number is required (http://www.quickenloansbracket.com/rules/rules.html) to be eligible to win the billion. They have quite an official rule page (which is understandable, considering the prize). Don't think I'll put in for the billion either, but I'll throw in a GU Boards bracket.

Also, OZN, in the bizarre chance that you actually win, submitting false information about your mortgage (assuming you have one), could be grounds for not giving you the grand prize because according to the rules, you warrant that everything you provide is accurate. Just a heads up...

No I do not have a mortgage, I inherited my grandparents home.

dnj116, It says you must have a phone number, but did you actually get prompted to enter it in anywhere? I did not.

It is possible, that I am not eligible or not even registered (but it says I am registered) since I opted out of everything they gave me, and since I did not give my phone number, when I clicked "submit", it just sent me to do my normal bracket. I do not blame anyone for not trusting anything online, but I do hope everyone will at least fill out a bracket for some GUBoards bragging rights.

Every year I have done this, they have given away big money. Last year it was 100 million for a perfect bracket but there was not this type of specific eligibility. But then again it is 10x the 100mil of last year.

whatever anyone decides this is all in fun and each year I think everyone is happy for participating.

webspinnre
03-04-2014, 06:56 AM
Must have a phone # to win the billion, but anyone can play without any of that.

jim77
03-04-2014, 10:39 AM
Heck, if I won the billion I could forever justify to my wife (Is Gonezaga basketball on again?) my hogging of the DVR capacity....and the cash wouldn't hurt either. Heck, I'd settle for the 100G's.

Oregonzagnut
03-05-2014, 06:22 AM
Heck, if I won the billion I could forever justify to my wife (Is Gonezaga basketball on again?) my hogging of the DVR capacity....and the cash wouldn't hurt either. Heck, I'd settle for the 100G's.

Here is the GUBoards bracket group only. No billion dollar registration necessary to join us.

Name, Gonzaga GUBoards, ID 6961,
pswd King David.

As a favor, if you join this pool, could you bump this thread or post that you have joined so that other people can see the group name and password. I am not having people PM me for the password this year so I cannot

hooter73
03-05-2014, 07:39 AM
The GU Board Bracket is always fun... Im in!

webspinnre
03-05-2014, 07:43 AM
I'm somewhat confused - is the password "King David" or "KingDavid"? I'm not getting it to work, and having passwords with spaces is generally not good.

Mr Vulture
03-05-2014, 09:56 AM
I heard that they were paying $100k each to the top 20 entries which, if true, is worth the shot.

Mr Vulture
03-05-2014, 10:03 AM
Twenty (20) First Prize Winners: Twenty (20) first prizes will be awarded to the twenty (20) eligible Entrants who scored the most total Points in the Challenge based upon the Scoring System (the "First Prize Winners"). All eligible Entries, other than a Grand Prize Winner, submitted during the Entry Window are eligible to win a First Prize.

First Prize: The twenty (20) First Prize Winners will each receive one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000) ("First Prize"). The First Prize will be delivered to the First Prize Winners in the form of a check.

Oregonzagnut
03-05-2014, 12:57 PM
I'm somewhat confused - is the password "King David" or "KingDavid"? I'm not getting it to work, and having passwords with spaces is generally not good.

Password is: King David. sorry for any problem with the Password. Sometimes trying to be creative causes problems. however, I believe we can kill giants this year.

Oregonzagnut
03-06-2014, 05:44 PM
Has anyone had any problems with registering? Also as many of you have noted, that the top 20 brackets win 100K for a new home or home improvement.

Oregonzagnut
03-09-2014, 12:51 PM
I'm going to bump this occasionally to give everyone a chance to sign up.

Oregonzagnut
03-11-2014, 06:26 AM
Bump.

gonzagafan62
03-11-2014, 07:11 AM
Has anyone had any problems with registering? Also as many of you have noted, that the top 20 brackets win 100K for a new home or home improvement.

I had no problems registering at all OZN.

But I could really use a home improvement. I need an electric furnace. That'll cost a pretty penny.

GO ZAGS !

Oregonzagnut
03-12-2014, 05:54 AM
I had no problems registering at all OZN.

But I could really use a home improvement. I need an electric furnace. That'll cost a pretty penny.

GO ZAGS !

If anyone has family or friends who are Zag fans tell them they can join too. Go ahead and give the name and password to any Zag fan!

Oregonzagnut
03-14-2014, 02:41 PM
Bump. I'd like to have as many people see this as possible.

RenoZag
03-14-2014, 10:02 PM
Thanx for setting it up

Oregonzagnut
03-16-2014, 03:41 PM
Thanx for setting it up

You are very welcome!

I want to remind everyone to fill out your brackets before the first tip off.

KStyles
03-16-2014, 04:04 PM
You are very welcome!

I want to remind everyone to fill out your brackets before the first tip off.

Does it lock before the play-in games or on Thursday morning?

Oregonzagnut
03-16-2014, 04:25 PM
Does it lock before the play-in games or on Thursday morning?

No it does not. the "first round" play in games do not count and are considered freebees as far as I know. The time to fill in your brackets is just before the first tip off on the 20th.

BTW everyone, the reason I did not enter my phone number is because I already had a yahoo account with a phone number entered. So if you have previously played this yahoo pick-em, then you should be able to enter fairly quickly.

Just A Zag
03-17-2014, 05:15 PM
I have been part of them in the past, so is there one going on this year? Usually there's a GU prize for first. Can't remember the user who usually organizes it. If I missed it mods please move.

Oregonzagnut
03-17-2014, 08:40 PM
Bump for those who would still like to join.

Oregonzagnut
03-17-2014, 08:41 PM
I have been part of them in the past, so is there one going on this year? Usually there's a GU prize for first. Can't remember the user who usually organizes it. If I missed it mods please move.

That would be me. I bumped it.

Just A Zag
03-18-2014, 08:24 AM
thanks!

tobizag
03-18-2014, 01:59 PM
bump

Oregonzagnut
03-19-2014, 01:37 PM
Last day to sign up and fill out your brackets!!

gonzagafan62
03-19-2014, 01:50 PM
Last day to sign up and fill out your brackets!!

I'm in. Thanks OZ

RenoZag
03-19-2014, 02:44 PM
First priority: Pull for the Zags.

Second Priority: Pull for my pool brackets.

Third Priority: Pulled Pork BBQ

Section 116
03-19-2014, 03:08 PM
Buffets Billion: A numbers game you wont' win: http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/03/18/5660162/buffetts-billion-a-numbers-game.html?rh=1

75Zag
03-19-2014, 03:28 PM
I bought the winning Powerball ticket on my way home from work tonight and winning the Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge would be a nice "icing on the cake".

Go Bulldogs!

Oregonzagnut
03-19-2014, 04:24 PM
First priority: Pull for the Zags.

Second Priority: Pull for my pool brackets.

Third Priority: Pulled Pork BBQ

I'm going to "pull a Houdini" from work on Friday.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-19-2014, 05:15 PM
I am in it to win it...the Billion Dollars, that is...but I'll enjoy the autographs too ;)

75Zag
03-20-2014, 12:33 PM
Any of you billion dollar bracket entrants have both Ohio State and Cincy losing?

I'll bet whoever is putting up the billion dollars is resting easy at this point.

Go Bulldogs!

Once and Future Zag
03-20-2014, 02:02 PM
Any of you billion dollar bracket entrants have both Ohio State and Cincy losing?

I'll bet whoever is putting up the billion dollars is resting easy at this point.

Go Bulldogs!

I was out after the VERY FIRST GAME

Do much hates for dayton (twice this year)

Oregonzagnut
03-20-2014, 02:44 PM

Go Bulldogs!

Is it possible the selection committee may have been influenced to "seed" in upset games.

RenoZag
03-20-2014, 02:54 PM

Go Bulldogs!

I run a bracket pool at work; we have 55 paid entries; 2 entries had those picks correct.

rennis
03-20-2014, 03:27 PM
I run a bracket pool at work; we have 55 paid entries; 2 entries had those picks correct.

I run the bracket in my office too - out of 35 people only 3 had both upsets.

JPW314159
03-20-2014, 10:08 PM
In 'Fans of Gonzaga' group on ESPN, I'm 1 of 12 perfect 16-0 on 1st day. 7600+ in group. I'm the only one of the perfect 12 to have Gonzaga winning it all. I'm enjoying the fantasy...

sittingon50
03-20-2014, 11:07 PM
Hope you run the table, JP!!

ZagMan in Philly
03-21-2014, 04:44 AM
Hope you run the table, JP!!
Ditto.

JPW314159
03-21-2014, 05:11 AM
I didn't enter Warren Buffet's BILLION dollar contest because of the ridiculous odds and threats of endless telemarketing, but now I'm having 2nd thoughts. On the other hand, it's worth losing a billion if the Zags could win it all. I have been following the Zags since the Frank Burgess era, and was the stat team leader in 1967. I still have the media gude from 1966-67 with Reborn's real name on the freshman team roster.

23dpg
03-21-2014, 05:38 AM
I also have a perfect bracket going on cbssports.com. I have no illusions of winning it though.

Edit to add: Looks like I'm perfect on this one too. What a lucky sob I am.

Oregonzagnut
03-21-2014, 05:54 AM
I didn't enter Warren Buffet's BILLION dollar contest because of the ridiculous odds and threats of endless telemarketing, but now I'm having 2nd thoughts.

I haven't had any telemarketing.

Arneson
03-21-2014, 07:16 AM
I am rank 223,000 and i'm feeling pretty good about my chances at the 100,000...

23dpg
03-21-2014, 07:54 AM
Even though I have a perfect bracket, I have no illusions of staying that way. So here's a game: What game will be the one that ruins my bracket? My guess is Nebraska.

Bogozags
03-21-2014, 08:02 AM
In 'Fans of Gonzaga' group on ESPN, I'm 1 of 12 perfect 16-0 on 1st day. 7600+ in group. I'm the only one of the perfect 12 to have Gonzaga winning it all. I'm enjoying the fantasy...

I'm in the same group...lost the ASU game BUT didn't pick GU to win-it-all...

RenoZag
03-21-2014, 08:55 AM
On the way to work this morning ESPN Radio reported that out of 11 million brackets entered in their on-line tourney challenge, approx 18,000 went 16 - 0 on day one.

JPW314159
03-21-2014, 09:08 AM
Even though I have a perfect bracket, I have no illusions of staying that way. So here's a game: What game will be the one that ruins my bracket? My guess is Nebraska.
I'm hoping my 1st miss is Arizona against Weber State.

JPW314159
03-21-2014, 10:29 AM
Well that didn't take long. Mercer.

23dpg
03-21-2014, 10:47 AM
Mercer!
I was cheering for them even though they ruined my shot at a billion.

JPW314159
03-21-2014, 11:43 AM
Mercer!
I was cheering for them even though they ruined my shot at a billion.

Ditto. Plus I certainly didn't want a perfect bracket and not be entered in the billion contest. Now I'm cheering for a classic old-time Big Sky rematch of Gonzaga and Weber State. Paz Rocha vs Justin Thigpen.

Oregonzagnut
03-21-2014, 02:46 PM
Ditto. Plus I certainly didn't want a perfect bracket and not be entered in the billion contest. Now I'm cheering for a classic old-time Big Sky rematch of Gonzaga and Weber State. Paz Rocha vs Justin Thigpen.

Arizona looks beatable.

Just_An_Old_Zag
03-23-2014, 01:21 PM
So much for my Billion Dollars. Dayton(dang I hate them) blew up my bracket the very first game... lol

KStyles
03-23-2014, 02:00 PM
So much for my Billion Dollars. Dayton(dang I hate them) blew up my bracket the very first game... lol

You & me both.

Oregonzagnut
03-23-2014, 04:07 PM
Congrats so far to RenoZag, he is leading our group with 36 correct picks! "Gerry" is 2nd place with 35, and yours truly, (OZN) is 3rd with 34 correct picks.

Go Bulldogs! Beat The Wildcats!

JPW314159
03-23-2014, 05:15 PM
Congrats so far to RenoZag, he is leading our group with 36 correct picks! "Gerry" is 2nd place with 35, and yours truly, (OZN) is 3rd with 34 correct picks.

Go Bulldogs! Beat The Wildcats!

Before my bracket blows up, I'll state my stats. Thru 1st 4 games Sunday, I've got 38 right, tied for 3rd in 'Fans of Gonzaga' (out of 7700), tied for 43rd in 'Around the Horn' (out of 254,000), tied for 174th (out of 496,000) in 'Pardon the Interruption', and 2941st (out of 11,000,000) in main ESPN tournament challenge. But I'll give it all up for a correct pick in the last game today. Go Zags.

Oregonzagnut
03-25-2014, 06:17 AM
Before my bracket blows up, I'll state my stats. Thru 1st 4 games Sunday, I've got 38 right, tied for 3rd in 'Fans of Gonzaga' (out of 7700), tied for 43rd in 'Around the Horn' (out of 254,000), tied for 174th (out of 496,000) in 'Pardon the Interruption', and 2941st (out of 11,000,000) in main ESPN tournament challenge. But I'll give it all up for a correct pick in the last game today. Go Zags.

Very nice. Although they are not calling it the "Billion Dollar Bracket" anymore, there still is big money to be won if you are in the top 10 in any of the 3-4 major national bracket pools. I'd sure like a 100K prize for home improvement. Big Time.

good luck everyone, there still is some hope even though our Zags are out, they proved all those 85% of brackets who chose OSU, WRONG!!!! OBama, WRONG! Bilas, WRONG!, Gottleib, WRONG!! All of them, save for a few side panelists and bloggers and true Gonzaga fans who know them and have watched them, like us.

Go Zags in 2014-15!

gonzagafan62
03-25-2014, 01:49 PM
Very nice. Although they are not calling it the "Billion Dollar Bracket" anymore, there still is big money to be won if you are in the top 10 in any of the 3-4 major national bracket pools. I'd sure like a 100K prize for home improvement. Big Time.

good luck everyone, there still is some hope even though our Zags are out, they proved all those 85% of brackets who chose OSU, WRONG!!!! OBama, WRONG! Bilas, WRONG!, Gottleib, WRONG!! All of them, save for a few side panelists and bloggers and true Gonzaga fans who know them and have watched them, like us.

Go Zags in 2014-15!

I actually have Stanford in the Elite Eight in my bracket. But I am the same person that had Creighton and Wichita State in the Final Four.

Oregonzagnut
04-07-2014, 07:50 PM
Congratulations to RenoZag! He had the best bracket this year with his "Rex Walters Fight Club" bracket.

RenoZag
04-08-2014, 06:53 AM
Thanks again for putting the GUB pool together, OZN.