PDA

View Full Version : - - -GUnit of the Game- - - (@ St. Motha Stinkin Mary's)

gozagswoohoo
03-01-2014, 08:48 PM
I like Gonzaga. They are my favorite team.

ZagaZags
03-01-2014, 08:55 PM
Stockton was big. I voted Sam Dower, here is the box score.
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400506815

ZagLawGrad
03-01-2014, 08:57 PM
I liked Sam's game a lot tonight

gamagin
03-01-2014, 08:59 PM
Stocks:

10 pts
5 rebounds
5 assists
1 steal (i'd trade a rebound or two for steals)
(Hudson on post game said this was DS's 14th game this season in which he has had at least five assists.)

Mantua
03-01-2014, 08:59 PM
I love it when Sam brings his game.

ZagaZags
03-01-2014, 09:01 PM
Sam is our POY.

wnczagfan
03-01-2014, 09:02 PM
Stockton or Dower? Dower or Stockton?
:explode:

VinnyZag
03-01-2014, 09:04 PM
All eight of Pangos' points came in the first half. He set the tone. I'd bet, too, that it's his first career game without a 3-point attempt.

wnczagfan
03-01-2014, 09:07 PM
I feel like it is pretty much even between Dower and Stockton; i'll cast my vote to even it up! Huge shout out to Shem!

2wiceright
03-01-2014, 09:09 PM
Sam with another DD and dominating game against the Marys Gaels. Great job Sam!!!

30 pts., who would have thunk-it! :lmao:

Bocco
03-01-2014, 09:11 PM
Total team effort if it were an option My vote would go to The Team, but since it isn't my vote went to Stockton.

MTZag03
03-01-2014, 09:25 PM
It was such a complete team effort that I had to pick someone that no one else would pick. Hence the GUnit goes to Nunez tonight.

maynard g krebs
03-01-2014, 09:29 PM
Here's why I voted Karno:

Waldow is a career 60% shooter who went 3/8 tonight for 9 pts, and only 3 boards in 25 min. Like the Zags' bigs, he normally either commands double teams, freeing up SMC's 3 pt shooters, or scores at a high rate. In 2 games v the Zags, he is 4/16. Karno dominates him and doesn't need help to do it. Not to mention how many shots he alters by drivers.

That fact knocks over the second domino, which is that SMC spreads the floor with 4 shooters around Waldow much of the time and makes them at 39% coming in. Five for 18 tonight, 6 for 30 on the year v the Zags. So the Zags hold them to half their normal 3 pt %, granted that it's on a small sample size. Because the guards are able to stay on their guys on the perimeter and don't need to help inside much.

Take Karno out of the equation and GU still wins, but SMC scores another 15-20 pts imo.

Oregonzagnut
03-01-2014, 09:29 PM
Dower.

Why Stockton, Bocco?

wnczagfan
03-01-2014, 09:43 PM
I like Gonzaga. They are my favorite team.

+1

Baseline
03-01-2014, 09:49 PM
I gave it to Dower because of the double-double.

Maynard makes a great argument though. That's why Shem should be defensive POY.

whatazag
03-01-2014, 10:50 PM
Voted Dower. I think he might get some looks from the NBA. His offensive skills are probably there, not sure about the defense though.

DixieZag
03-01-2014, 11:12 PM

Waldow is a career 60% shooter who went 3/8 tonight for 9 pts, and only 3 boards in 25 min. Like the Zags' bigs, he normally either commands double teams, freeing up SMC's 3 pt shooters, or scores at a high rate. In 2 games v the Zags, he is 4/16. Karno dominates him and doesn't need help to do it. Not to mention how many shots he alters by drivers.

That fact knocks over the second domino, which is that SMC spreads the floor with 4 shooters around Waldow much of the time and makes them at 39% coming in. Five for 18 tonight, 6 for 30 on the year v the Zags. So the Zags hold them to half their normal 3 pt %, granted that it's on a small sample size. Because the guards are able to stay on their guys on the perimeter and don't need to help inside much.

Take Karno out of the equation and GU still wins, but SMC scores another 15-20 pts imo.

Constantly bringing facts in and helping me see the game better. Appreciate all you're saying but I have to give it to Sam. Part for sentimental reasons - his last reg season game, in part b/c even if Waldow had his normal game Sam would offset it and probably have scored more, and part b/c the guy is on a tear and doesn't seem to miss anymore - at a real good time to be like that.

maynard g krebs
03-01-2014, 11:47 PM
Constantly bringing facts in and helping me see the game better. Appreciate all you're saying but I have to give it to Sam. Part for sentimental reasons - his last reg season game, in part b/c even if Waldow had his normal game Sam would offset it and probably have scored more, and part b/c the guy is on a tear and doesn't seem to miss anymore - at a real good time to be like that.

Can't disagree a bit.

The guy who plays Charles Barkley on SNL's weekend update is hilarious. I'd vote for him if he was on the list.

Reborn
03-02-2014, 01:33 AM
Sam is the Man! And David Stockton played a very good game. Proud of our seniors tonight. Drew Barham was solid as a rock too. I'm sure they all feel good. I also thought PK played one of his best games tonight. I absolutely loved his passing. And Dower got on them boards again. Easy pick tonight.

Birddog
03-02-2014, 03:48 AM
Sam got the vote over Stockton. If DS had hit just one 3 I might have given it to him. Like Shem'sdefensive performance, Bell's also deserves mention holding Holt to 0 FGs. great team effort.

ZagsZombieNation
03-02-2014, 05:39 AM
All eight of Pangos' points came in the first half. He set the tone. I'd bet, too, that it's his first career game without a 3-point attempt.

Sorry, when I read this I just had to check. Actually Pangos did not attempt a 3-pointer at Santa Clara this year. So just the 2nd time in his career.

scott257
03-02-2014, 07:16 AM
I voted Mark Few. He has unleashed the dogs and it looks really good.

TacomaZAG
03-02-2014, 08:13 AM
Like Shem's defensive performance, Bell's also deserves mention holding Holt to 0 FGs. great team effort.

Had to read a lot of posts before seeing some love for our quiet warrior, GBJ. Holding Holt without any FG's is astonishing, especially since Holt had gone for 61 points his last two games.

Agree about the great team effort. Hopefully, this will build some momentum for the WCC Tourney and the Dance. Got to say, though, as KP goes, so go the ZAGS............

Go ZAGS

Whalers86
03-02-2014, 09:45 AM

Agreed. Another point(s): Anyone else notice 1) that Karno's free throw percentage has crept up dangerously near 60%?? - huge improvement and getting better; and 2) those two quick nifty interior passes to Stocks and Dower? The man has skills and he's getting better in all phases. Will be fun to watch him the rest of this season and hopefully a couple more...

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-02-2014, 11:29 AM

Going into the game, I thought that frustrating Waldow would be the key to winning in Moraga. I thought that Edwards would take turns with Karnowski on that duty to keep the Big Pole fresh and out of foul trouble. Karnowski really didn't need much help on that effort. He gets my vote.

jim77
03-02-2014, 11:57 AM
I voted Stockton...just love the way he managed the game. I was also very impressed with KP's decision making..he played within himself and made others better. GBJ also did a job on Holt....the guards played SMART....and the BIGS benefitted from it.

Stockton was bred for big games..the guy just doesn't panic..cool as a cucumber. I guess that's what happens when you play 1 on 1 with the best.....who can intimidate you?

I think the title is a bit disrespectful...its ST Mary's.

john montana
03-02-2014, 12:53 PM

+1000. Karno has dominated the interior in both smc games...both blowout victories. When he plays like that we win. Against darn near anyone.

77Zag
03-02-2014, 01:34 PM
Great bounce back for Sammy -- he was exceptional. another double, double --

Bell was also close. Holding Holt to 10 points, and all on free throws -- wow!

gonzagafan62
03-03-2014, 07:01 AM
I didn't even vote. This was a total team effort and everyone played extremely well.

Go Zags!

hooter73
03-03-2014, 08:07 AM
Quite honestly I thought it was Karno's bucket after bucket that really broke their backs. Sam and David had the stats, but GUnit isnt just about stats.